PDA

View Full Version : Room of the week/month.

Eoin247
30-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey i was just thinking, and maybe this would be a good idea for the competitions department.

Why not make a regular room of the week/month competition? I notice that the thing most forum members like to do on habbo other than chat is room designing, so a lot of people would enter i think.

Maybe for each week/month there would be a theme (e.g the 7 wonders of the world) and the best 1 or 2 or 3 get a prize?

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,:)

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I like this idea, could even be tied in with Articles with a room review.

Alex3213
30-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I like this idea, could even be tied in with Articles with a room review.

There used to be a ROTW/M from the News Department but faded after a couple of weeks. I'd rather see the new, fresh articles department do this than the Competitions Department, though! :D Nice idea :)

Hecktix
30-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I think HabboxLive did something with ROTW as well.

Inseriousity.
30-12-2010, 04:09 PM
There used to be a monthly room designing competition but I removed it due to lack of entries.

Catzsy
30-12-2010, 04:11 PM
There used to be a monthly room designing competition but I removed it due to lack of entries.

I started that off a long time ago. It was quite sucessful. Not sure where it went - was 'away' at the time during the MAD dynasty.

Eoin247
30-12-2010, 04:12 PM

How long ago was this? The main reason i brought this up was because i noticed that a lot of people on the forum recently saying that all they like to do on habbo nowdays is chat and design rooms.

I suppose trying it out for a month again can't hurt? :)

Alkaz
30-12-2010, 04:12 PM
The News department did do a joint room review type competition with the Habboxlive a while ago. There was a massive lack of communication between the two sides which is why the reviews were disbanded by the News department and continued by Habboxlive which I think have subsequently stopped. As Mrs.McCall has said, this is something which we're keen to revive when we re-introduce the Articles team back to Habbox in 2011.

Alex3213
30-12-2010, 04:16 PM
How long ago was this? The main reason i brought this up was because i noticed that a lot of people on the forum recently saying that all they like to do on habbo nowdays is chat and design rooms.

I suppose trying it out for a month again can't hurt? :)

This happened at the beginning of Inseriousity.'s management which began in September 2009. I think it lasted a couple of months but was later removed. As said, I think we can get a double whammy done if articles both hold a competition and review it- it immediately opens up the department. :)

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I like the idea of the integration of departments though. Comps staff pick from a shortlist, articles review them, forum members pick the winner.

Inseriousity.
30-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I stopped it in January 2010. With the budget we had (and still have), we were unable to sustain giving out huge prizes, which a room designing competition needs for it to be worth anything (a problem always was that the cost of making a good room was always higher than the prize), for few entries. It will not be returning under the competitions department but it's available for any other department (Articles eg) :)

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I think the idea of having a Room of the Week rather than just a room design comp is good. Any room can be entered (doesn't have to be themed) that way there doesn't need to be a huge prize as we haven't demanded they design their room in a certain way.

I just think it'd be nice for the different departments to link together.

Also, the winner could also be a HxL Party Room for one night and get a teleport put in the Habbox Hallway.

Hecktix
30-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I think the idea of having a Room of the Week rather than just a room design comp is good. Any room can be entered (doesn't have to be themed) that way there doesn't need to be a huge prize as we haven't demanded they design their room in a certain way.

Also, the winner could also be a HxL Party Room for one night and get a teleport put in the Habbox Hallway.

Liking the idea of getting it added to the Habbox Hallway, I know Martin has a lot of ideas about the whole hallway prospect.

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:28 PM
I just think that when all departments band together for something, it makes it even better. It's a grand scale yet small thing that might drive entries and also drive listeners/readers/competition entries etc.

Eoin247
30-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Agreed, although i still think a changing theme would be nice :) It could be very broad even like cold/hot.

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:31 PM
With that, there's always the problem of thinking of a theme which would get more difficult. This way, we'll have more rooms to choose from.

Alkaz
30-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I think the only time that this will be themed is at certain times of the year like easter, halloween etc.

Catzsy
30-12-2010, 04:35 PM
When I did it there were no prizes. It was just in the Cool Rooms Forum and those posted in the week/ month were voted on. That was the prize really - being voted as best.

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:39 PM
A little prize might not hurt or even if the prize is a teleport in the hallway, HxL party for the night and a room of their choice can be reviewed for the site.

Eoin247
30-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Only problem with there being no prizes is most people wouldn't go to the effort of making a real nice room just for the feel good factor. Although some will anyway, i think its neccesary for there to be some sort of prize (forum vip/rep/habbo prize).

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't see why VIP can't be allocated once a month for it.

Alkaz
30-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Personally I feel that a furniture prize would be more fitting for this sort of competition however it would be down to Nuxty to make the ultimate decision on this. :)

Eoin247
30-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Or furni+forum prize, it's like that for most comps anyway right?

Alkaz
30-12-2010, 04:55 PM
The news department has much a much smaller purse in terms of what we can give away as prizes compared to the actual competitions department. So as I say it will have to be down to Nuxty to ultimately decide what he wishes to use for this competition as it will actually be a large chunk of what we've got in our purse. :)

Sureall
30-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I was guna do this when I was a HxL DJ but it got turned down by the last one failing.

Mrs.McCall
30-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Well perhaps in the new Articles medium, it'll improve.

Sarah
31-12-2010, 01:54 AM
I know that Martin did have something planned when he was at the News Department and it was going to be incorporated into the forum some how. I don't know what happened to the idea, but any idea of using a ROTW/M is definitely a good idea.

Nuxty
31-12-2010, 09:35 PM
This was something we want to reintroduce with Articles and it was being planned for the News Department even before Martin resigned. I'm still thinking about it and how we could make it different and better than it used to be. As for the prize this is something we'd have to discuss but I think we'd be able to sort something out.

Once Articles is established we will definitely get this off the ground. :)

Gina
31-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Hmm I like it but it would be abit hard due to the fact loads of people may want there room as room of the week, and that would make it impossible to pick, Probs if you see how many people would do it, then you would know if it would work out or not :)
Although if it does go ahead, I do like the idea of an article to go with it :)

Nuxty
31-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Hmm I like it but it would be abit hard due to the fact loads of people may want there room as room of the week, and that would make it impossible to pick, Probs if you see how many people would do it, then you would know if it would work out or not :)
Although if it does go ahead, I do like the idea of an article to go with it :)

Well, I will speak to Martin about it, see what we can do. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!