PDA

View Full Version : Grammar change?

triston220
31-12-2010, 03:37 PM
The description for the board 'Spam' is "Post counts do not increase". To me, I think grammar wise this sentence is incorrect. I think it should be changed to: "Post count does not increase in this section".

Thanks.

Jamesy
31-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I think this is somewhat nit picking and the message as it stands is perfectly fine.

Samantha
31-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I noticed that the other day. After thinking about it it does make sense. So any would work in my opinion - no need to change.

triston220
31-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Well what about "Post count does not increase"? I don't think "Post counts" doesn't sound right.

Josh
31-12-2010, 03:43 PM
To be perfectly honest, this is just nitpicking. Yes it could be fixed but it's just wasting time which could be spent on real issues.

triston220
31-12-2010, 03:45 PM
To be perfectly honest, this is just nitpicking. Yes it could be fixed but it's just wasting time which could be spent on real issues.

It really wouldn't take much time up at all. I don't think it's nitpicking. I'm just a bit OCD about grammar and spelling. :P

Mathew
31-12-2010, 03:51 PM
The grammar is perfectly fine here. I'm not seeing a problem.

triston220
31-12-2010, 03:52 PM
The grammar is perfectly fine here. I'm not seeing a problem.

I don't think it looks right.

Mrs.McCall
31-12-2010, 04:00 PM
The grammar is fine. It's using the plural post counts to inform users that post counts do not increase. It's a grammatically correct sentence.

triston220
31-12-2010, 04:02 PM
The grammar is fine. It's using the plural post counts to inform users that post counts do not increase. It's a grammatically correct sentence.

But "Post counts" is known as "Post count".

Aidenn
31-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Its there to do a job simply stating post count won't increase in that section, it does its job, end of.

Mathew
31-12-2010, 04:15 PM
But "Post counts" is known as "Post count".
But "Post count do not increase" doesn't make sense.
I think if you're silly enough to not understand what it means, then you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place :P

triston220
31-12-2010, 04:18 PM
But "Post count do not increase" doesn't make sense.
I think if you're silly enough to not understand what it means, then you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place :P

That's why I suggest it be changed to "Post count does not increase." And if I don't know what it means, then how would I be able to give a suitable alternative?

Nemo
31-12-2010, 04:23 PM
That's why I suggest it be changed to "Post count does not increase." And if I don't know what it means, then how would I be able to give a suitable alternative?If you dont understand what it means now then you're an idiot plain and simple. You do understand what it means and no one has ever had trouble understanding what it means so its a stupid hypothetical situation. Its just nitpicking like people have said and there's honestly no point discussing this any further. I dont even know why im replying to this because you cant grasp the basic fact that no one really gives a damn about 2 words that make sense changed or not. Just give it up.

Inseriousity.
31-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Personally, I think people are being a bit harsh on you!

I agree with you that it would sound better with your alternative but I also agree with the others that it isn't such a big thing. I'm on the fence... it's not very comfy but oh well.

myke
31-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Are you really that bored? lol

Looks alright to me, but adding 'do not' or w.e it is you said would make it better but it's really not much of a problem

triston220
31-12-2010, 04:28 PM
If you dont understand what it means now then you're an idiot plain and simple. You do understand what it means and no one has ever had trouble understanding what it means so its a stupid hypothetical situation. Its just nitpicking like people have said and there's honestly no point discussing this any further. I dont even know why im replying to this because you cant grasp the basic fact that no one really gives a damn about 2 words that make sense changed or not. Just give it up.

I said that it doesn't really matter, but people keep replying, so I reply to them. I'm waiting for the thread to be closed.

Personally, I think people are being a bit harsh on you!

I agree with you that it would sound better with your alternative but I also agree with the others that it isn't such a big thing. I'm on the fence... it's not very comfy but oh well.

Thank you. :) It's not that big a deal but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Nemo
31-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I said that it doesn't really matter, but people keep replying, so I reply to them. I'm waiting for the thread to be closed.
By replying to them, you're defending your arguement, thus continuing the thread. The thread is likely to not be closed, so if you stop replying, so will people, and it'll die down in no time.

triston220
31-12-2010, 04:32 PM
By replying to them, you're defending your arguement, thus continuing the thread. The thread is likely to not be closed, so if you stop replying, so will people, and it'll die down in no time.

I've requested for the thread to be locked. And if you read the content of my posts you will realize that I'm not trying to defend my 'argument'.

Nemo
31-12-2010, 04:33 PM
That's why I suggest it be changed to "Post count does not increase." And if I don't know what it means, then how would I be able to give a suitable alternative?

I've requested for the thread to be locked. And if you read the content of my posts you will realize that I'm not trying to defend my 'argument'.
That is quite clearly defending your post. No way around that.

And they won't lock it because locking your own threads is a VIP Feature. So it doesnt matter if you request it.

triston220
31-12-2010, 04:35 PM
That is quite clearly defending your post. No way around that.

And they won't lock it because locking your own threads is a VIP Feature. So it doesnt matter if you request it.

I was replying to another post. Not arguing my original post. If you stop posting, then I won't have to reply. You are the one that is continuing the argument.

Nicola
31-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I think it's fine really and isn't a major issue. It makes perfect sense :P

Now let's close this thread before it gets taken a little further than it should ;) Have a nice new year everyone!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!