PDA

View Full Version : RAM Upgrade

-Sweex
31-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey i'm looking for new ram as the sticks ive got atm are crap pretty much. I have 4gb atm want to upgrade to 6gb so i thought i may aswell get new RAM all together.

Anyone know good brands and speeds?

Thanks.

Recursion
31-12-2010, 09:12 PM
wth are you doing to require more than 4GB RAM? :S

Unless you're overclocking, speed doesn't matter though, and look out for Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill and Patriot.

Colin-Roberts
02-01-2011, 03:23 AM
honesty your probably wasting your money, few people use over 4 gb of ram and the people that do usually know whats good to buy.

HotelUser
02-01-2011, 03:45 AM
It could be useful if you were on a Mac and wanted to do some hardware virtualization to run Windows. Or perhaps if you're going to run assorted servers off your machine or have multiple sessions at once on it.

Or if you just want to run a swampload of applications at once it would be cool and you could just delete your pagefile!

Speaking of pagefile if you had 6GB of ram you would never be able to hibernate the blasted thing because a 6GB pagefile is just absolute suicide!

AgnesIO
02-01-2011, 11:11 AM
What do you have in the rest of your system?

Upgrading from 4 to 6gb seems quite pointless imo

Homosexual
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
What do you have in the rest of your system?

Upgrading from 4 to 6gb seems quite pointless imo

Agreed.. even the i7's are a waste with 6GB of RAM.. 4GB is ample enough for any casual user.

Moh
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I have 6GB ram (came with laptop) and I rarely ever use 2gb. I'm quite a heavy user too.

LMS16
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
wth are you doing to require more than 4GB RAM? :S

Unless you're overclocking, speed doesn't matter though, and look out for Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill and Patriot.

Windows 7 Virtua PC maybe? I use it all the time due to alot of compatability issues with old programs I use.

Although, I odnt check my RAM usage so Im not sure whether that uses much ram?

Lew.

Recursion
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
It could be useful if you were on a Mac and wanted to do some hardware virtualization to run Windows. Or perhaps if you're going to run assorted servers off your machine or have multiple sessions at once on it.

Or if you just want to run a swampload of applications at once it would be cool and you could just delete your pagefile!

Speaking of pagefile if you had 6GB of ram you would never be able to hibernate the blasted thing because a 6GB pagefile is just absolute suicide!

You don't want to disable your swapfile generally IMO, even with 6 - 12GB RAM.

Windows 7 Virtua PC maybe? I use it all the time due to alot of compatability issues with old programs I use.

Although, I odnt check my RAM usage so Im not sure whether that uses much ram?

Lew.

With what the average computer user would need, even that would be fine with 4GB.

Technologic
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
X86 windows 7/vista/xp only supports up to 4GB. Make sure its x64 if you're going above that otherwise its pointless. Unless of course you're on a mac.

Jordy
02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
X86 windows 7/vista/xp only supports up to 4GB. Make sure its x64 if you're going above that otherwise its pointless. Unless of course you're on a mac.He'll already be on x64 as the limit is slightly less than 4GB I believe and also takes into account graphics memory.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!