PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up Download? +rep

lawrawrrr
02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
My internet or download speed is becoming incredibly slow these days - it used to be between 600 and 800 Kb/s, now it's down at almost 100 for most of the time. My laptop does use wireless, but our internet connection is pretty good these days.

It takes me ages to download anything, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to speed it up. +rep for useful responses

Thankyou!

Luke
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Tried rebooting your router? Connecting via ethernet? What's it like on other computers? Contact your ISP..?

Deak
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Mine has been doing the same lately, but does eventually sort itself out...
I also turn my modem off and restart it and that sometimes works

Chris
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
How many people are on your connection at one time? I think that can affect it. If it's just you then try what the others and reset your modem/router.

lawrawrrr
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
We have 2 laptops and a computer connected, but most of the time it's just me, occasionally my sister, but last night I was downloading when everyone else was asleep and it didnt get above 100 kb/s D;

Trinity
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Is it affecting the loading of websites and stuff? Or is it just downloads?
If it's just downloads, it might be a problem with wherever you're downloading from. If it's a torrent or something, it could just have poor seeds.

lawrawrrr
02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Both internet and vuze downloads are effected - and the actual interent varies between super quick and super slow...

ben
02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
www.speedtest.net

Josh
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
www.speedtest.net
?

Have you exceeded your bandwidth?

lawrawrrr
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Dunno, how do I check? doing that test thing now...

---------- Post added 02-01-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1094021155.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

how's that, i don't really know bout that thing XD

ben
02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
That ping is high who else is on your network and are they doing anything?

lawrawrrr
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
It's just me when I did that test... but I am currently downloading 2 things...

Jack!
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Try clearing you cache ect, Cookies. Flush your DNS maybe?

Oh and this is mine: and my speeds also seem a little iffy

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1094051306.png

ben
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I would download 1 at a time and your network may also have a monthly download limit like mine is 4gb then it will get slowed for a while

Stephen
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Dunno, how do I check? doing that test thing now...

---------- Post added 02-01-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1094021155.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

how's that, i don't really know bout that thing XD

the pings abit high from that server.. is that the closest one to you?

triston220
02-01-2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1094122125.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

ben
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Why are people posting their results

Recursion
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I would download 1 at a time and your network may also have a monthly download limit like mine is 4gb then it will get slowed for a while

I assume that's a typo? We can easily use 4GB in a day lmao

ben
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
If I download 4gb in a day which isnt peer to peer then my speed drops for a few hours
I ment day and I dont easily go through 4gb a day

Stephen!
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Why are people posting their results

Because it always happens.

When somebody sees a speedtest image, everyone just HAS to post their own. It's natural instinct and it's god damn annoying. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish. To show off, maybe? Probably not in Triston220's case. Same with Jaaaack!, but he's obviously trying to show off. And failed.

There have been at least 10 threads asking for help on internet speed and each one of them has turned into a "post your speed" thread. It's ridiculous and I think anyone that post's their speed in somebody else's thread should be given an infraction for trolling. Because that's what it is. It has nothing to do with the issue at hand and knowing somebody else's speed isn't going to help in the slightest.

For the issue at hand, I would recommend holding out for a week or two. Since many people are off work, it's Christmas/New year time your ISP's traffic is probably much higher than usual. That being said, there is something very wrong about that ping. I will probably bash wireless, but I have never experienced a ping that high on WiFi...

Could you please do a speedtest when nobody is using the internet, and whilst you are not downloading anything? Would be helpful for us to identify the current max line capabilities. Bear in mind, that evenings are classed as peak times, especially on weekends so I would recommend waiting until the early hours. No harm in trying it now, though. If the speed looks normal, then it's probably the server where you are downloading the files from. If it's P2P, then it's no surprise that you are getting slow speeds since it all depends on how many peers you are connected to, and how quickly they are uploading.

lawrawrrr
02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, please don't post useless posts here - I actually need help, not just to see your speed vs mine. @Stephen I don't understand ping, what is it? And I'll post another one later - it'll probably be around midnight. It was the adobe website I was downloading from, so I don't really understand why it was so slow really :l

Stephen!
02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Ping is the time it takes for a bit of information to get from you to the destination and back again.

Anything over 60ms in my opinion is noticeably slower.

triston220
02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
You could try using a download manager.

Jack!
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I wasn't trying to show Of, Actually i was trying to put across you speed can be slow at time even on a 10MB line, Like mine, That's why i said my speed has seemed a little slow, Also Speedtest only shows your line capabilities, Not what speed you are actually getting, As you said usually you would get 1mbps, On by the looks of things a 3mbps limiter/line, So I would also contact them about what you are paying for, And what you are actually getting.

Also ping is like saying I sent you 10 Packets of something, And say only 3 arrived. I think

Sorry if I came across as trying to showoff to

Stephen!
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I wasn't trying to show Of, Actually i was trying to put across you speed can be slow at time even on a 10MB line, Like mine, That's why i said my speed has seemed a little slow, Also Speedtest only shows your line capabilities, Not what speed you are actually getting, As you said usually you would get 1mbps, On by the looks of things a 3mbps limiter/line, So I would also contact them about what you are paying for, And what you are actually getting.

Also ping is like saying I sent you 10 Packets of something, And say only 3 arrived.

Sorry if I came across as trying to showoff to

Everything you said is wrong.

1. Speedtest shows what speed you are getting. That's why it's called speedtest and not linetest. My line is capable of the 50MB broadband, but I'm only paying for 20MB so it shows as 20MB. With your logic, it should show up as 50MB.
2. You're on a 10MB line and you're getting 10MB. Your internet is fine.
3. That isn't ping. That's called packetloss.

Jack!
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Everything you said is wrong.

1. Speedtest shows what speed you are getting. That's why it's called speedtest and not linetest.
2. You're on a 10MB line and you're getting 10MB. Your internet is fine.

Let me put it this way then, I was told that Speedtest only tells you the top speed that you get, But you don't usually get this, Often it is lower, But this is only what i was told, If im wrong then im wrong

And I'm not actually men't to be on 10mb, I'm meant to be on 20, That why i said above about getting what you're paying for

Stephen!
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
It seems as though you have confused yourself.

Jack!
02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
It seems as though you have confused yourself.

Probably, But sorry if i have posted wrong / irrelevant information, Just ignore me :P

Hiro
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Are you able to post a speedtest when you are not downloading/uploading, just idle web browsing?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!