PDA

View Full Version : Homeplug Suggestions (Ethernet via Powerline)

Jam
04-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I've gave up on Wireless so I'm needing some of these homeplugs for the devices in other rooms. Does anyone know of a good brand and/or model? The popular ones on Amazon just consist of the cheapest ones.

Thanks to all replies.

Recursion
04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
The couple of times we tried them at home, they sucked and we just ran ethernet cabling. Just a heads up.

Stephen!
04-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Depends on the quality of your house's wiring. If it's a fairly old house (20+ years), then it's not going to be optimal. Either way though, it's still better than wireless :P

Trinity
04-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I've been using a set of these for years, mine are Comtrend, not sure what model though. I looked on the website and they look like these: http://www.comtrend.com/links/61$product.htm
I got mine free from my old ISP (not sure which ISP though, it was a couple of years ago now) and I've been using them pretty much constantly since then, absolutely no problems with them, they've survived 2 house moves, definitely recommend them.

LMS16
05-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170581242439&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_2396wt_1139

Lew.

Jin
05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
In my personal experience I would suggest you find someone and ask them to kick you in the crotch as it is much more preferable.

I have had two sets of comtrend powerline adaptors and frankly nothing has made me more suicidal. If anything interrupts it such as an energy spike, powercut, unplugged, internet connection problems they usually require resyncing.

Also they hog sockets, they are so bulky that not only do they occupy the socket they are in but they also prevent you from plugging into the socket next to it (in terms of a double wall socked). They are also surge protection incompatible and it's a bit touch and go if you are plugging it into an extension strip.

If you are having wireless issues I suggest the following:

Relocate your wireless router for a better connection.
Consider using a repeater hub.
Use a permanent wired ethernet solution.

triston220
05-01-2011, 04:28 PM
In my personal experience I would suggest you find someone and ask them to kick you in the crotch as it is much more preferable.

I have had two sets of comtrend powerline adaptors and frankly nothing has made me more suicidal. If anything interrupts it such as an energy spike, powercut, unplugged, internet connection problems they usually require resyncing.

Also they hog sockets, they are so bulky that not only do they occupy the socket they are in but they also prevent you from plugging into the socket next to it (in terms of a double wall socked). They are also surge protection incompatible and it's a bit touch and go if you are plugging it into an extension strip.

If you are having wireless issues I suggest the following:

Relocate your wireless router for a better connection.
Consider using a repeater hub.
Use a permanent wired ethernet solution.

How would one go about the latter?

Recursion
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
The wireless repeaters can be pretty good, for a cheaper one you could get something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA730RE-150MBPS-Wireless-Extender/dp/B003UZFSDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294245470&sr=8-2 or more expensive, something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-WRE54G-Wireless-G-Expander/dp/B0007SQG5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294245448&sr=8-1

or you could just buy some ethernet cable and run it from your router to whatever you need connecting :P

Jin
05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
How would one go about the latter?

Cat5 Cable
2x RJ45 Socket
Cable Pinning solution (I use a staple gun to pin cable to skirting boards or hide under the carpet as oppose to cable clips or trunking)
IPC Insertion tool.

1) Run your cable to the new location following the path the cable will follow when hidden.
2) leave about a 50cm extra at both access point ends.
3) Attach socket to wall at both ends.
4) Strip outer insulation
5) Using insertion tool and any wiring diagram of the internet attach wires to socket.
6) Attach spare ethernet port on router to one socket
7) Attach device to be networked to other socket.

Essentially you are taking the port from the router and extending it just like you would to with an electrical extension reel.

triston220
05-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Cat5 Cable
2x RJ45 Socket
Cable Pinning solution (I use a staple gun to pin cable to skirting boards or hide under the carpet as oppose to cable clips or trunking)
IPC Insertion tool.

1) Run your cable to the new location following the path the cable will follow when hidden.
5) Using insertion tool and any wiring diagram of the internet attach wires to socket.

Essentially you are taking the port from the router and extending it just like you would to with an electrical extension reel.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Recursion
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Cat5 Cable
2x RJ45 Socket
IPC Insertion tool.

As neat as that would look, crimping RJ45 connectors is a *****.

Jin
05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
It is a basic guide I am sure if you google it you will find a more detailed explanation but to me it is like wiring a plug so I haven't exactly gone into much detail with it.

In 2006 I wired a 3 storey building by myself after basically been given a crash course in the wiring diagram once you done it once it is pretty easy.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!