PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 fully hacked.

Luke
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
They've finally done it, the Private (or is it Public, I forget) key, a key which is meant to be locked down in vaults etcetc has been found. Finally cracked open the most secure games console.

Apparently it was an exploit with the code, which allowed geohot (the original iPhone jailbreaker) and some German hackers extract it.

It literally means, that people can now sign their homebrew apps, as official using the key, so they'll run on any PS3. The hackers say they don't support piracy and that it they just want homebrew apps to be run, but we all know that ain't gonna happen.

And it can't be fixed either, the key is a hardware thing, so can't be patched. Someone at Sony must be getting their arse kicked right now..

More info and details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12116051

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Thread moved from "Technology Discussion" as I feel it's more suited here.

Conservative,
05-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Ouch, just when I bought a PS3. Big blow for Sony. I don't use these things but I guess it's useful in some ways.

dbgtz
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM
This is perfect timing really, it's probably about now where they are at least thinking about the next PS.

Jordy
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
This is perfect timing really, it's probably about now where they are at least thinking about the next PS.Doubt it, the Playstation 3 is fairly future proof hence why it was originally so expensive. The Xbox 360 and Wii have been "maxed out" by games a few years ago so they could do with replacements but I don't see the Playstation 3 being replaced in the next 2 years at the bare minimum.

dbgtz
06-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Doubt it, the Playstation 3 is fairly future proof hence why it was originally so expensive. The Xbox 360 and Wii have been "maxed out" by games a few years ago so they could do with replacements but I don't see the Playstation 3 being replaced in the next 2 years at the bare minimum.

R&D will take ages, then they will want to probably wait until E3 to unveil and then it would only be released in Japan a few months later then the rest of the world in the new year.

The original price isn't futureproofing, it was for blu-ray and teh cell. This will most likely be used in the next PS. OK yes it is quite future proof, but just because the next one is out doesn't mean the PS3 will be out of the picture, it will just do a PS2 and be outshadowed and go to other countries.

Eoin247
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh i was wondering if those so called hacked ps3 i saw earlier today were legit. Seems they were.

Oleh
10-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I can personally confirm this is legit.

j0rd
10-01-2011, 10:07 PM
A friend in my college ICT actually helped crack this

Luke
10-01-2011, 10:14 PM
No he didn't? It was George Hotz and a group of German hackers who also hacked the Wii..? You're in Wales.

dbgtz
10-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I can personally confirm this is legit.

was that the thing about the ftp thing?

Oleh
10-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah, blackb0x is a ftp client for ps3, check my comment too :D

samsaBEAR
12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
No he didn't? It was George Hotz and a group of German hackers who also hacked the Wii..? You're in Wales.
You see what we're on now dude? It's called the internet. Its lets anyone, in any country talk (or help crack a PS3) to someone else, in a completely different country! You might wanna sit down, I'm sure it's a huge shock to you.

Oleh
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
but what i don't see is why somebody who's in college in wales would have contact with Fail0verflow. j25t ask your friend about peeking and poking please. If he can answer you straight and in detail ill stand corrected. until then i have little faith that he even knows what it is

Luke
12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
You see what we're on now dude? It's called the internet. Its lets anyone, in any country talk (or help crack a PS3) to someone else, in a completely different country! You might wanna sit down, I'm sure it's a huge shock to you.

A friend in my college ICT actually helped crack this

Yeah. :rolleyes:

xxMATTGxx
12-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Sony follows up, officially sues Geohot and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/sony-follows-up-officially-sues-geohot-and-fail0verflow-over-ps/

Luke
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
It just got interesting :')

Misawa
12-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Them vs. Sony lawyers. They're done.

Oleh
13-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Today geohot and his lawyer responded to sonys legal claim

Geohot's attorney describes many flaws in Sony's original legal motion, and goes on to detail them. He pokes holes in everything from Geohot's alleged relationship with team fail0verflow, all the way to Sony's assertion that California holds jurisdiction over the case. Based on these recent docs, it seems like Sony will have a formidable foe in Geohot and his lawyer.

Firehorse
16-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Sony brought this upon themselves unfortunately. This hack was only motivated because people wanted to install other operating systems once more, a feature which Sony removed last year due to a lesser hack done through linux.

Oleh
16-01-2011, 02:50 AM
as many members have said, once sony decided to declare what the members call "war on hacking" via the removal of otheros, they took it as a challenge, Now sony are pissed. And everybody boasted that ps3 security was top notch.. when xbox jtags came out what happened? the security was already in place and nothing more than an automated ban fixes that now. as with all of sonys attempts at security, it is laughable.

Firehorse
16-01-2011, 02:58 AM
as many members have said, once sony decided to declare what the members call "war on hacking" via the removal of otheros, they took it as a challenge, Now sony are pissed. And everybody boasted that ps3 security was top notch.. when xbox jtags came out what happened? the security was already in place and nothing more than an automated ban fixes that now. as with all of sonys attempts at security, it is laughable.

Stop bringing xbox fanboyness into the thread. This has nothing to do with xbox, and if you really want to go there then know the xbox was first hacked within months of release, but it took hackers 3 years before making any break throughs whatsoever when attempting to hack the ps3.

dbgtz
16-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Sony should just hire this guy in order to improve security, lol.

Firehorse
16-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Sony should just hire this guy in order to improve security, lol.

It was a whole team of people, and the security of the ps3 can't be brought back under control because the keys were already exposed to the internet. If you look on warez sites for example there are already pirated copies of games and homebrews you can download with instructions on how to install them.

Recursion
16-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Wait a second, this thread just got stupid.

YOU are calling SONY'S security laughable? Let me just remind you how long it took to break the PS3 security Sony had in place? What was it? 4 years? Microsoft's security on the 360 took a couple of months at most.

Well done in making yourself look a bit of a fool.

Oleh
16-01-2011, 11:05 AM
your saying im calling myself a fool, but as geohot himself has said, this hack is not fixable with a mere update, this is only fixable by hardware or if the key they use to sign everything is changed, and neither is plausible. and if you was to notice, the xbox jtag came out in july 2009, 4 and a bit years after release. a dvd firmware modification is not a major security flaw unlike both ps3 jb and 360 jb but unlike the 360 jtag, the ps3 jb is not fixable.

Well played kind sir :D

and Dan, i was merely comparing the 2's security.

Recursion
16-01-2011, 11:14 AM
your saying im calling myself a fool, but as geohot himself has said, this hack is not fixable with a mere update, this is only fixable by hardware or if the key they use to sign everything is changed, and neither is plausible. and if you was to notice, the xbox jtag came out in july 2009, 4 and a bit years after release. a dvd firmware modification is not a major security flaw unlike both ps3 jb and 360 jb but unlike the 360 jtag, the ps3 jb is not fixable.

Well played kind sir :D

and Dan, i was merely comparing the 2's security.

I think actually, in this case, a DVD firmware modification is a fairly large flaw.

Oleh
16-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Explain? as the only flaw there is that they left the port on the drive so you could actually modify the firmware, but with every dvd drive, that is there. all im saying is, next time sony could probably increase security so that you cant merely use a usb to hack the entire system as with little to no checks on what firmware your installing, there are checks of what your doing on your ps3 but easily worked around.

You can refer to me as a xbox fanboy all you like, it still wont change the fact the ps3 has been jailbroke, nothing bad as it opens it up to an entire new audience

dbgtz
16-01-2011, 11:23 AM
It was a whole team of people, and the security of the ps3 can't be brought back under control because the keys were already exposed to the internet. If you look on warez sites for example there are already pirated copies of games and homebrews you can download with instructions on how to install them.

Yeah but you wouldn't really need them all necessarily? I'm talking PS4 btw.

Recursion
16-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Explain? as the only flaw there is that they left the port on the drive so you could actually modify the firmware, but with every dvd drive, that is there. all im saying is, next time sony could probably increase security so that you cant merely use a usb to hack the entire system as with little to no checks on what firmware your installing, there are checks of what your doing on your ps3 but easily worked around.

You can refer to me as a xbox fanboy all you like, it still wont change the fact the ps3 has been jailbroke, nothing bad as it opens it up to an entire new audience

Well, if those jtags are there on every DVD drive (and CD drive... and BluRay drive...) it's funny they couldn't use such an easy hack on the PS3. Sony had a lot of security on the PS3 and the only big downfall was when Geohot managed to find the root encryption key (which, as I say, still took 4 years to do).

And yes Sony could do better, but Microsoft could do A LOT better, but with anything in the world, human creations will have flaws.

EDIT: in fact why did you start this at all? This is in the SONY forum and has nothing to do with Microsoft and their console.

Oleh
16-01-2011, 11:53 AM
i didnt start it, i believe it was you or stuto, i merely was stating that sony could take a leaf from mincrosofts book on pre-planned security.

and a jtag isnt on a dvd drive, dvd drive is just for copied games. i believe a jtag is in the NAND. and yes microsoft can do 300% better but im only refering to the security measures not the console. would this "argument" happen if we were in a windows forum talking about linux's security?

Recursion
16-01-2011, 12:02 PM
and a jtag isnt on a dvd drive, dvd drive is just for copied games. i believe a jtag is in the NAND. and yes microsoft can do 300% better but im only refering to the security measures not the console. would this "argument" happen if we were in a windows forum talking about linux's security?

A jtag is a part of the hardware, not the software (NAND in this case), it's a port for diagnostics and testing.

And pre planned security? wut, that was the whole point in the encryption key.

Firehorse
16-01-2011, 12:12 PM
i didnt start it, i believe it was you or stuto, i merely was stating that sony could take a leaf from mincrosofts book on pre-planned security.

How on earth was it me or Tom? Xbox hadn't even been mentioned until you posted.

Oleh
16-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Well i was merely bringing up security and it somehow turning into me being a fanboy :S

The encryption key is a layer of security, there is little to no server side security.

and as the term goes in the xbox modding scene A JTAG is a modified console that allows you to run unsigned Code.

Firehorse
16-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Well i was merely bringing up security and it somehow turning into me being a fanboy :S

The encryption key is a layer of security, there is little to no server side security.

and as the term goes in the xbox modding scene A JTAG is a modified console that allows you to run unsigned Code.

But it's true. The thread wasn't about comparing security with other consoles so why are you doing so? You called Sony's security laughable compared to Microsoft's which is wrong and is why it is fanboyness.

Why are you bringing up server side security? Theres no such thing for running games. What about the people with no internet? And Xbox also doesn't have "Server side security", they just banned people from using the online service on consoles which were previously modified/hacked.

Oleh
16-01-2011, 12:39 PM
The thread is titled "playstation 3 finally hacked" and i was bringing up security as that was on of the reasons.

Technically even if your not connected to psn but there is another internet enabled device on the network, then the ps3 will still be contacting the servers.

Im sorry for talking the truth, ill vacate the forum for the day.

PS. Whoever said Geohot found the key, no he didn't fail0verflow did...

Oleh
29-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Graf_Chokolo gave Sony an ultimatum earlier today, over on XorLoser's blog. He stated that if Sony was to continue such tactics, that he will publish his IDA database, for the PS3's Hypervisor and Hypervisor processes. What this means, is that reverse engineering the hypervisor would immediately become much easier for other developers using IDA Pro Disassembler. IDA Pro is a popular tool, commonly used in reverse engineering software.

With the database anything is possible, more than currently. so in essence, sony backs off or the shizen hits the fan

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!