PDA

View Full Version : rant about discrimination

Swearwolf
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
<rant>

Basically me and my housemate are employed at the same company and work in the same warehouse, but we have slightly different roles. Same pay/hours and everything. Yesterday it was announced in a meeting that there will be a new nightshift starting sunday night, and anyone whos interested to raise their hands. So we both did. Our names got written down no problem... afterwards however, my supervisor (different to mates) tells me as I'm on probation I'm not eligible for it. Now I was annoyed because they always say when advertising new jobs inside whether or not probationers are allowed. They only say if they aren't, and obviously the guy who wrote our names down knew we were and nothing was said. All good. BUT I go and tell my mate I can't do it (Hes on exactly the same probation period as me) and he goes a bit nuts too. We go to his supervisor and he says to my mate "If thats Robs decision then George can't do it... I'm fine for you to do it though Dan".

As far as I'm concerned this is far from fair....being members of the Union... ;) We go put in a complaint. I'll hear back later when I go in as to whether I get nightshift, fingers crossed as I hate my current job!

</rant>

Catzsy
06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Sounds like double standards to me if the supervisor has gone against the normal policy.

Swearwolf
06-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Do you reckon I did the right thing? I've been dying for nightshift for a while now

Catzsy
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Do you reckon I did the right thing? I've been dying for nightshift for a while now

Well the only problem is who passes you on your probation?

Swearwolf
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Theres no pass or fail, its just lower pay during probation :p automatically go onto permanent and the end of the period

Catzsy
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Theres no pass or fail, its just lower pay during probation :p automatically go onto permanent and the end of the period

That's fine then - if the other supervisor says it's okay then there is some question in what is allowed. Can you get to speak to the supervisors boss, quietly or don't you ever meet him.

Swearwolf
06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah I think there's been some miscommunication between supervisors. I'm 99% I am eligible to do it; thats why I asked the union rep. She said its unfair one is allowed to and the other isn't, so either we'll hear we both can or we both can't. Otherwise I'll go nuts lol :D Yeah I know where he is, I asked my rep if it was worth a shot and she said leave it to her, she knows exactly who to talk to to sort it :D

Catzsy
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah I think there's been some miscommunication between supervisors. I'm 99% I am eligible to do it; thats why I asked the union rep. She said its unfair one is allowed to and the other isn't, so either we'll hear we both can or we both can't. Otherwise I'll go nuts lol :D Yeah I know where he is, I asked my rep if it was worth a shot and she said leave it to her, she knows exactly who to talk to to sort it :D

Well she sounds like a 'smart cookie' so looks like you did the right thing and just leave her to get on with it. Good luck! :D

Swearwolf
06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah :D thanks! Really hope I get it lol

Swearwolf
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I GOT NIGHT SHIFTS WOOO

Samantha
10-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Congratulations. Proves that if you don't stand up for yourself you will not get far in the industry.
:).

Catzsy
10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
I GOT NIGHT SHIFTS WOOO

Excellent news. Your union rep deserves a drink. :P :D

ChickenFaces
10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Good for you getting the night shift :)
This is a really good example of how people don't pay attention especially when they're higher ups in the work force. I'm glad you got what you wanted, you deserve it a lot.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!