PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

-Nick
09-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Howdys,

Last night I was thinking if the country (UK) Is in a recsation why did they let of billions of fireworks on New Year Eve it would of casue loads and they did some in villages and theres about 75 people in a village and Half dont even watch???

POST!!!!

Spuds
09-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Billions?

Samantha
09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
You can argue that about every country. What is the point in letting off so many Fireworks to welcome New Years? New years is the obvious reason why. Yes we are in a recession, yes they are making cuts, but when it comes to a New year I don't think any country should hold back. Maybe they did it as we no longer live under Labour rule? Maybe it's because year 2011 will be different and better for everyone?

I understand this may not be the case but who cares, it's a new year and although I don't like fireworks at all I support them when they do it for the New Years. Maybe some people don't watch, but surely there are millions tuned in watching, waiting, wishing that they could be there with all the crowds. At the end of the day the government have lied, saying things and not following through, and to be honest we can't do much about it. Therefore, if they want to let fireworks off, let them? Maybe they have a lot of firework in storage, maybe they asked for donations? Who knows?

Hayleigh
09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I love fireworks on new year :) and xmas and bonfire night but when people do it over times its like shut up ,,, its more special if it happens less , but In terms of cost if its new year we are celebrating why hold back? :)

dbgtz
10-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Because, if the government pays for the big ones, it wouldn't even scratch what it's spent and it doesn't make us look like boring gits. And besides, the amount made from people attending local fireworks get's the government money, and paying for the fireworks themselves gives them some cash from VAT. Tbh, if the government buys anything, it always ends back with them in some shape or form.

Also, we havn't been in recession for a while, just debt (recession is economic decline).

Fiendly
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I guess.. It's just a tradition and traditions are hard to just say 'no'

Eoin247
10-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Billions?

My thoughts exactly lol.

Everybody loves fireworks including me. I don't think villages of 75 population got any more than a few screamers so i wouldn't worry about that.

Samantha
10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
My thoughts exactly lol.

Everybody loves fireworks including me. I don't think villages of 75 population got any more than a few screamers so i wouldn't worry about that.

I hate fireworks.

Monty
11-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Fireworks are there for a reason. It's there to celebrate and bring a good New Year. If everyone had the same ideology as you did surely fireworks would have been gone anyway.

Recursion
11-01-2011, 10:25 PM
1. Hundreds of thousands, not billions.
2. It's great advertising for the UK
3. It probably makes the money back in people who go to see them in person
4. We haven't been in a recession for a while now

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!