PDA

View Full Version : Internet Phone [REP]

ChristopherH
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey all,
i am kind of stuck lol

I'm after a online phone service (like Skype)
Basically like a normal phone line but online and can be plugged in VIA the PC or Internet (i am on Wireless)

Example:
People Can Call my Number from a Normal Phone
and it will ring the phone / device plugged into my pc / internet.

i was going to use skype but i did not read anywhere that they offer the number for people to call you. all i seen was that you can call them.

perfered cheap or free.

Cheers,
Chris

Samantha.
09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Are you saying you want a phone with internet access? :S

triston220
09-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Do you mean a VOIP phone?

hamheyelliot
09-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I had this setup once and still used Skype for it, provided Skype was active my SkypeIn number worked? It was pretty good too, I think I used a Binatone S-Life- search around for one of those.

Skype has withdrawn the own numbers as part of a subscription, now you have to buy one separately at a pretty high price.

ChristopherH
09-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I had this setup once and still used Skype for it, provided Skype was active my SkypeIn number worked? It was pretty good too, I think I used a Binatone S-Life- search around for one of those.

Skype has withdrawn the own numbers as part of a subscription, now you have to buy one separately at a pretty high price.

Elliot & Triston are on it.
I was going to use VOIP ( i got a phone for it and all) but i have no idea how i can get it to plug in via wireless as its got a LAN port?

Snatter
09-01-2011, 03:40 PM
There are companies like 'Gradwell' that offer services for this. We have around 50 Cisco IP phones in our office which are configured to connect directly to the servers of our hosting company.

Not sure if you're looking a soft phone (one which is for the computer, it's a piece of software). If you did want a softphone, there are pieces of software like 'X-Lite' which uses SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) which is really what most IP services use to transmit data.

If you were looking either an actual phone, just look up SIP phones. Cisco are the market leader and they're extremely good quality phones. All you have to do is type in the information of the servers you are looking to connect to & a username and password and then you can make calls from your softphone/hardware phone.

If you're a light user, there are pay and go options on the site I mentioned above. Google it. If you're more into heavy duty stuff there are bigger packages for you to use which is a fixed amount every month.

hamheyelliot
09-01-2011, 03:44 PM
The wireless ones (in terms of internet connection, not the phone handset) come pretty expensive, Phillips makes one though.

If you're okay plugging it in via USB, something similar to this would do exactly what you need: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Binatone-S1545-Digital-Cordless-Telephone-Skype-Phone-/120669520622?pt=UK_MobilePhones_HomePhones_HomePho nes_JN&hash=item1c1876c2ee

It worked with my Skype out of the box and if you can afford a SkypeIn number, it worked straight away for me.

ChristopherH
09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
The wireless ones (in terms of internet connection, not the phone handset) come pretty expensive, Phillips makes one though.

If you're okay plugging it in via USB, something similar to this would do exactly what you need: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Binatone-S1545-Digital-Cordless-Telephone-Skype-Phone-/120669520622?pt=UK_MobilePhones_HomePhones_HomePho nes_JN&hash=item1c1876c2ee

It worked with my Skype out of the box and if you can afford a SkypeIn number, it worked straight away for me.

Im Buying that :) Thankyou +REP

There are companies like 'Gradwell' that offer services for this. We have around 50 Cisco IP phones in our office which are configured to connect directly to the servers of our hosting company.

Not sure if you're looking a soft phone (one which is for the computer, it's a piece of software). If you did want a softphone, there are pieces of software like 'X-Lite' which uses SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) which is really what most IP services use to transmit data.

If you were looking either an actual phone, just look up SIP phones. Cisco are the market leader and they're extremely good quality phones. All you have to do is type in the information of the servers you are looking to connect to & a username and password and then you can make calls from your softphone/hardware phone.

If you're a light user, there are pay and go options on the site I mentioned above. Google it. If you're more into heavy duty stuff there are bigger packages for you to use which is a fixed amount every month.

Thanks for the Info, Will have to look further into it. but the phone elliot suggested will work for me. [+REp]

Cheers,
Chris

proxious
11-01-2011, 07:10 AM
thanks for the heads up

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!