PDA

View Full Version : Past names list

The Don
09-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey, I was thinking it'd be a good idea if on a users profile it had a past names tab, where their previous names were listed. The user could have an option to turn this off in the user cp or turn it on. I just thought it'd be good as a few people have changed their names and I can't remember what their previous names are etc. anyone agree/disagree?

Sarah
09-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but is it really needed? I know some people change their name lots of times, but I think the majority don't? If you think (before XMAS) how many people had VIP out of the whole forum - they were the only ones eligible to change their name (apart from users to Habbo ones). Couldn't they just tell users that they used to be ____ instead of creating a whole new thing for it.

Mathew
09-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree. Should be easy enough to do aswell, I've seen it on another site. I'm forever talking to people and then realising I knew them years ago :'(

The Don
09-01-2011, 07:25 PM
it could look like this or something similar:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2359/pastname.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6643/pastnamestab.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6643/pastnamestab.png
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2359/pastname.png

Matthew
09-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I like this idea, but surely it could just be put in a signature or your usertitle?

Suspective
09-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I like it, if its possible it would be a brilliant feature.

Samantha.
09-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I think if it's easy to do it should be done, it's annoying when someone changes their name and then start talking to you because I haven't a clue who it is. Good idea!

Mr-Trainor
09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I think this would be a great idea, I just don't know whether it would be easy to add.

Hecktix
09-01-2011, 10:13 PM
This would be incredibly pointless and a waste of time, space, resources etc - if you wanna know what someones old name was you ask them, we have many ways in which you can do so, we'd rather not cut good old communication down.

Jin
09-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Another issue is that old names become usable again. The character limit in signatures is also quite high so it could be placed there.

Though if there really is mass interest we may consider it as the data already exists.

despect
09-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I personally think its a really good idea, its helpful to know who people are. I always get people leaving a visitor message and i don't remember them because they've had a name change.

flatface
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Unless you just add "Past User names" as a custom profile field, that way it's optional, easy to add and the user can edit it themselves

KazyKazy22
09-01-2011, 11:21 PM
This is a great idea :) I support this

jackass
09-01-2011, 11:55 PM
This is a really good idea. The amount of times i've lost contact with certain old-style forum members, then realised way later that they never left, they just had a name change...

Besides that, it's interesting to all users.

Also, 7000th post, yeahhhh boi.

Grig
10-01-2011, 12:34 AM
It's up to the person if they want to change their names and if they were really concerned about people recognizing them, they could put in their signature 'previously known as Bob' or stick it in their autiobriography field of the profile.

It is a pretty neat idea to have such a field, but I don't really see it happening ;[.

Cheryl
10-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't think this would help and would be pointless.

If you remember somebodies old username, then you would have to look at everyone's profile?
I don't think it would be an effective way to find old members?
Or is this just me being stupid.

Hecktix
10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Unless you just add "Past User names" as a custom profile field, that way it's optional, easy to add and the user can edit it themselves

This would be the easiest way to do it however I'm just really not sure it'd be used and there's no point in Nicki doing it if in 3 months she'll be announcing it's removal again like with many other of these ideas which seem smart at first, but then never get used.

As usual, if there's enough support we could consider adding a profile field but I don't think it's worth the time/effort to concoct something special as I dont think it would be used. Even if a lot of you disagree now in a few months if it gets removed due to inactivity then y'know it's just a pain but we'll see where this thread goes & what Nicola says.

Mrs.McCall
10-01-2011, 01:44 AM
I dunno, I think it's a good idea. Especially when I see people who change their name and I'm like "hmm... I swear that's...?" and am never sure.

Arch
10-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I think this is a great idea, i was actually thinking about this when i re-joined the forum so many different names were changed ;(

gangstaagent1
10-01-2011, 03:50 AM
I think this is a really good idea! However I think as Oli said it might be just taken out in a few months because no-one uses it..

Arch
10-01-2011, 05:00 AM
It wouldnt be that no one uses it, just everyone who has ever had a name change should have a down bar when u high their name or something ?

nvrspk4
10-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Some people don't want others to know what their new name is. I know it seems silly and that you figure people would find out, but there are people who have requested name changes before to avoid bullying etc. A voluntary profile field is the best way to go about it IMO.

Catzsy
10-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Some people don't want others to know what their new name is. I know it seems silly and that you figure people would find out, but there are people who have requested name changes before to avoid bullying etc. A voluntary profile field is the best way to go about it IMO.

Agree with this. It does happen that a member changes their name for a 'fresh start' and as nvr says to avoid bullying.

despect
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I think someone already posted that users should be able to edit it so if they want people to know their past names then they can just edit it so it shows past names. If they had a name change to avoid bullying then easy thing is - they don't edit it to show their past names, that way people won't find out who they are. :P

Nicola
10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm personally not a huge fan as I don't think it will last very long. If it was to be introduced then it would be more likely to be a custom profile field rather than a profile tab as I think there could be better things those tabs can be used for.

I do feel it is something that will die down very quickly though which is why I am very reluctant to do it.

ka191
10-01-2011, 10:59 PM
This would be the easiest way to do it however I'm just really not sure it'd be used and there's no point in Nicki doing it if in 3 months she'll be announcing it's removal again like with many other of these ideas which seem smart at first, but then never get used.

As usual, if there's enough support we could consider adding a profile field but I don't think it's worth the time/effort to concoct something special as I dont think it would be used. Even if a lot of you disagree now in a few months if it gets removed due to inactivity then y'know it's just a pain but we'll see where this thread goes & what Nicola says.

If you have it the way in the screenie someone posted, it would automatically update and a useful feature? I have been on forums where people have had name changes and I came back a few weeks later not knowing who they were. So if it was automatically updated, it wouldn't die down and wouldn't be inactive as it would be automatic.

Shouldn't be too hard to code as the name changes are automatically logged in admincp.

Hecktix
10-01-2011, 11:42 PM
If you have it the way in the screenie someone posted, it would automatically update and a useful feature? I have been on forums where people have had name changes and I came back a few weeks later not knowing who they were. So if it was automatically updated, it wouldn't die down and wouldn't be inactive as it would be automatic.

Shouldn't be too hard to code as the name changes are automatically logged in admincp.

And what about those who wish to remain anonymous?

nvrspk4
11-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Another advantage of having the self-filled profile field is members who have had their accounts permed wouldn't be covered by the hack but would be covered by the profile field. Although part of the punishment of a perm ban is that you lose the name and also (theoretically) the name recognition, but I think that this is tangential enough to be allowed (after all, you can freely put "was ___" in your signature...)

Pyroka
11-01-2011, 05:33 AM
You're better to just list one previous name as to their whole rolecall of names, cuz you can chuck it in their postbit then.

nvrspk4
11-01-2011, 06:53 AM
You're better to just list one previous name as to their whole rolecall of names, cuz you can chuck it in their postbit then.

Postbits are already getting lengthy, we cut down on them once before but they're getting larger again :P Although with the new vB it looks like there may be a line or two and if its a single name, it's worth having in the postbit.

Chippiewill
11-01-2011, 07:00 AM
If you put it in the postbit then people will leave it there the whole time which is a bit of a waste if it gets in the way, I think it's simply easier and more effective to remind users to put their name in their signature in a noticeable way. I see some people who stick it in a corner on the smallest font for some reason.

Pyroka
11-01-2011, 07:08 AM
maybe not even the post bit but a field on your profile like somebody suggested. That could easily be done as a custom thing to display everytime your name changes, yknow?

Hecktix
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
If this is to be done it will be a self-edit profile field, obviously if you don't fill in profile fields it doesn't appear - so it'd be up to you if you wanted to fill it in if you had past names. It isn't going anywhere near the post bit, call me old fashioned mind but I still don't see why people can't ask people what their old names were :P

beth
14-01-2011, 08:21 PM
If this is to be done it will be a self-edit profile field, obviously if you don't fill in profile fields it doesn't appear - so it'd be up to you if you wanted to fill it in if you had past names. It isn't going anywhere near the post bit, call me old fashioned mind but I still don't see why people can't ask people what their old names were :P

well, i can't remember all the old name's i had like back in 07 when it was cool to get a name change every other week with random words ahaha. i reckon it'd be quite nice and nostalgic.

The Don
14-01-2011, 08:29 PM
well, i can't remember all the old name's i had like back in 07 when it was cool to get a name change every other week with random words ahaha. i reckon it'd be quite nice and nostalgic.

That's the main reason I wanted this aswell :L I must have had at least 5 name changes and remember like 3 of them!

Recursion
15-01-2011, 06:20 PM
If something like this gets implemented I'll eat my hat.

I don't see it happening, no matter how nice and nostalgic it would be...

Hecktix
15-01-2011, 06:22 PM
If something like this gets implemented I'll eat my hat.

I don't see it happening, no matter how nice and nostalgic it would be...

It wouldn't be nice and nostalgic if you didn't want said name to be remembered

Recursion
15-01-2011, 06:22 PM
It wouldn't be nice and nostalgic if you didn't want said name to be remembered

Hence the option to turn it on and off.

I can't understand why good ideas are never put into practice around here, seriously.

Rixion
15-01-2011, 06:26 PM
This is a neat idea, as I've had people asking me who I am every now and then:L

but doubt it will be implemented:(

Chippiewill
15-01-2011, 06:59 PM
This is a neat idea, as I've had people asking me who I am every now and then:L

but doubt it will be implemented:(
Who are you every now and then?

I think this'll be underused, if people are bothered about not being remembered then they need to stick that they changed their name in their signature. I see so many people who don't and it's a pain. People need to be reminded after a name change via a PM that they should let others know that they've changed their name.

nvrspk4
18-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Hence the option to turn it on and off.

I can't understand why good ideas are never put into practice around here, seriously.

1) That statement is categorically false, mainly because you said never, and even "usually" would still be untrue
2) Good ideas are evaluated on risks versus rewards, and implemented on that basis
3) Good ideas are also evaluated for feasibility, another reason for implementation

Jin
18-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Frankly the effort that this will require is not worth the reward. Such information is suitable for a usertitle or a signature or even the profile bio it certainly does not require bespoke methods of implementation.

cocaine
18-01-2011, 11:46 PM
what about users that have been here a long time? i can only remember one username before my current one...

Jin
19-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Ask us nicely and we may tell you but bare in mine records only go back as far as 2008.

If you can't remember your previous usernames I think it is a clear indication that you changed your username far too frequently. :P

nvrspk4
19-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Ask us nicely and we may tell you but bare in mine records only go back as far as 2008.

If you can't remember your previous usernames I think it is a clear indication that you changed your username far too frequently. :P

Unless my memory is failing me they go back quite a ways more than that. I believe MAD started a second name change thread which is what you're referring to, but there is an earlier name change thread that is probably in the same forum. I believe I became VIP Manager earlier than 2008 and I'm almost 100% certain that logging it was part of the job when I came on board.

Nicola
19-01-2011, 02:24 AM
I am happy to add a profile field for this as really that is all it is worth which also makes it optional for those who do not want their names revealed.

If you would like to know your previous names then we have no problem telling you, you will just need to drop an administrator a PM.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!