PDA

View Full Version : Forum Updates - 9/01/11

AgnesIO
10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=682936&p=6936592#post6936592

Not exactly exciting updates again, but you can't pull out exciting updates every week!

For a start, I don't see any HARM in the name change of the fashion and clothes forum - but I think you would have to be a complete and utter idiot to get confused by the old name! Next up; three letter names allowed. When was this not allowed? Graham used to have the user name 'sex' - so when were they banned?!

Nicola
10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I know the Fashion and Clothes forum being renamed is not the most exciting of updates but I thought it was a nice suggestion and a perfectly resonable one. It isn't as if the name change of the forum took anything away from that forum, it added something. I remember when I first joined the forum and I wanted to post something regarding hair and I wasn't actually sure if I should post it in there because it just said "Fashion & Clothes", there have also been a few users before that have posted hair related issues in Dicuss Anything when it is fine for them to be posted in the Fashion forum. It's a small update but hopefully it'll stop people posting hair threads in Discuss Anything in the future.

I think people were being granted 3 letter names when they shouldn't have been as the rules stated you could not have a name that was short than 4 characters. Due to the high amount of users that have 3 letter names the rule has been changed.

scott
10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I think you just couldn't register names with 3 letters but you could use vip to get it changed to 3? Some good updates though :)

AgnesIO
10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I know the Fashion and Clothes forum being renamed is not the most exciting of updates but I thought it was a nice suggestion and a perfectly resonable one. It isn't as if the name change of the forum took anything away from that forum, it added something. I remember when I first joined the forum and I wanted to post something regarding hair and I wasn't actually sure if I should post it in there because it just said "Fashion & Clothes", there have also been a few users before that have posted hair related issues in Dicuss Anything when it is fine for them to be posted in the Fashion forum. It's a small update but hopefully it'll stop people posting hair threads in Discuss Anything in the future.

I think people were being granted 3 letter names when they shouldn't have been as the rules stated you could not have a name that was short than 4 characters. Due to the high amount of users that have 3 letter names the rule has been changed.

I thought you were smart Nicola :( I have always regarded a hair style as fashion. After all, if a famous person has cropped hair, loads of people follow the fashion :P But just like you said, and I said in my first post, their isn't anything WRONG with the change.

Thanks for clearing up the three letter name thing too!

Eoin247
10-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Next step 2 letter names ;)

I think that the bot rule needed to be cleared up, and it's good that it was as people weren't sure what were the rules regarding this.

AgnesIO
10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Next step 2 letter names ;)

I think that the bot rule needed to be cleared up, and it's good that it was as people weren't sure what were the rules regarding this.

Two letter names would be silly - very few people have a two letter name in real, and I can't see why anyone would want a username like 'it'.

Samantha
10-01-2011, 04:29 PM
As this thread is made can I ask something about name changes.

I registered on the forum (again) as iPoster then got it changed to Samanthaa or something like that. Meaning I didn't want to be iPoster anymore, nor would I want to be - lost the account anyway.

Right if I remember correctly I once went on the register page and tried names which I knew was changed and things like iPoster , Samanthaa etx weren't allowed. I think it was only allowed via name change.

Can't this be changed so when someone gets their name changed to Minion for example, Samanfa would be able to be registered?
Just wondering.

Dom
Also what about initials? :P

Btw, say I wanted my Forum name to change to my Finland name would it have previously been allowed as it was SLW ?

ka191
10-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Won't * and + confuse us on Who's Online as to if they are our friends and for Admins if the user is appearing offline or not?

KEILLERISBANNED
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
LOL ! :@

Edited by Cosmic (Forum Super Moderator) Please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

Mr-Trainor
10-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Won't * and + confuse us on Who's Online as to if they are our friends and for Admins if the user is appearing offline or not?
That's what I thought and it can be confusing. For those wondering, the * and + were allowed from last weeks updates (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=681883&p=6923001#post6923001) and not from 9/01/11.

Hecktix
10-01-2011, 05:30 PM
That's what I thought and it can be confusing. For those wondering, the * and + were allowed from last weeks updates (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=681883&p=6923001#post6923001) and not from 9/01/11.

Usernames with a single + or * after them are still forbidden but this is done automatically at registration.

In regards to the 3 letter name rule, it's always been a rule at Habbox however I must say it is the worst enforced rule I've ever seen, it actually makes sense to ban 3 letter names as when searching for them sometimes it can cause a lot of issues however it'd be an extremely difficult rule to clamp down on as so many people have gotten away with it through VIP requests - it was put in updates so people are aware it's now allowed as we get no end of people complaining about people with 3 letter names when its against the rules. So now, it's not :P

nvrspk4
11-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Usernames with a single + or * after them are still forbidden but this is done automatically at registration.

In regards to the 3 letter name rule, it's always been a rule at Habbox however I must say it is the worst enforced rule I've ever seen, it actually makes sense to ban 3 letter names as when searching for them sometimes it can cause a lot of issues however it'd be an extremely difficult rule to clamp down on as so many people have gotten away with it through VIP requests - it was put in updates so people are aware it's now allowed as we get no end of people complaining about people with 3 letter names when its against the rules. So now, it's not :P

The simple solution to that is to make sure your VIP managers know the rule, and to force a name change when you see the issue. Since it is a fairly simple rule and because there is a very practical reason (the search issue) and to clamp down on it you only need two people to know what they're doing, it seems fairly simple to enforce...

The * and + thing is a good point, although the point of the rule was that your eye would be drawn to any * or +, even if it wasn't at the end of the name. This is less important than the other change but I'm still curious as to why the + and * are that necessary :P

Hecktix
11-01-2011, 01:01 PM
The simple solution to that is to make sure your VIP managers know the rule, and to force a name change when you see the issue. Since it is a fairly simple rule and because there is a very practical reason (the search issue) and to clamp down on it you only need two people to know what they're doing, it seems fairly simple to enforce...

The * and + thing is a good point, although the point of the rule was that your eye would be drawn to any * or +, even if it wasn't at the end of the name. This is less important than the other change but I'm still curious as to why the + and * are that necessary :P

My original stance on the three letter names was to try and enforce it however since it hasn't been enforced for a long amount of time, I think it stems back to 07/08 looking at some of the three letter usernames and although it was a task I considered to challenge a change for every single one, and if you look into it on ACP there are literally hundreds of 3 letter names - it'd be an incredible task and it'd be one that's quite unfair on those who have had their names for quite a while and of course the first name that would need changing is Jin's which he wasn't too keen on. Registration still requires 4 letters minimum so 3 letters is very much a VIP privelidge (unless your Habbo name consists of 3 letters), nothing will change much however it is a rule we had to remove 'cause it'd have pissed off a hell of a lot of people if we'd changed it and it wasn't their fault they got past such rules.

In terms of the * and + a while back we had someone request a name via VIP like this: *+*NaMe*+* - someone pointed out to me that this was technically against the forum rules however I personally didn't have an issue with it, so I spoke with Matt and Nicola about removing it and applying common sense in name changes. This change wasn't major, but it's more about loosening boundaries - the person who chose to have their name appear like I showed above did it for a 1 week joke using their Xmas VIP and I really think it'd be harsh to put a stop to something like that, as long as common sense is applied in name changes then there should be no problems really.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!