PDA

View Full Version : Sony UK: Games needed in education curriculum

dbgtz
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Sony UK boss Ray Maguire has told audiences at the Learning Without Frontiers conference in London today that "the time is now" to bring games into education.

Maguire told the crowd, "We shouldn't wait too much longer. A collaborative effort is absolutely required, it needs endorsement at the highest level, it needs someone in government to say we will do this." He also advoacted game design a career that should be promoted to young people alongside other professions, "There has to be a public and private partnership. Promote digital content creation as a career choice – it shouldn't be 'I want to be a doctor or a lawyer', it should be 'I want to be game designer' as well."

Culture Minister Ed Vaizey was in attendance at Learning Without Frontiers today however Education Minister Michael Gove was absent. Develop are reporting (http://www.develop-online.net/news/36718/Vaizey-hears-anger-at-Gove-game-education-snub) that Vaizey defended Gove's absence by stating ”Michael Gove has met videogame companies and has an open-mind about the games industry."

Sony are keen to get PlayStation Move and PSPs into schools as well as using titles like LittleBigPlanet to aid teaching. "We've already started courses for teachers, student side and school side," Maguire said. "We want to hear from schools and local authorities interested in tackling the issues in front of them."

Nintendo UK stated earlier today "We do not produce products designed for education."

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/blog/sony-games-needed-on-uk-education-curriculum-quickly-/2833/
This is quite an interesting statement, because of the fact I once thought LBP could potentially be a brilliant education game. But would buying games consoles really be worth it?

Ajthedragon
12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I think learning through video games works, think of all the car knowledge I gained from Gran Turismo.

dbgtz
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I think learning through video games works, think of all the car knowledge I gained from Gran Turismo.

Luls, I think I gained stuff from gran turismo aswell.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!