PDA

View Full Version : One last question +rep

matt$
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Does windows use NTFS or FAT32? to store its operating system and files. and if it uses both how much each if i had like 160gb of room? thanks a lot and sorry about all the questions but the windows xp cd i've got i just tried on my sisters computer and when you boot it up the installation process starts beginning whilst on mine it does **** all even though i've had xp on this before so im thinking maybe the hard drive is partitioned incorrectly or maybe some BIOS settings any help would be great cause i've been trying for days now.

Jack!
12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
You can choose to use either in the setup i believe, Wont be the partition because you can delete them and stuff when installing.

Sounds like a BIOS Problem

matt$
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM
You can choose to use either in the setup i believe, Wont be the partition because you can delete them and stuff when installing.

Sounds like a BIOS Problem

But what could it be everything seems fine :( and i've tried the default settings which should surely work as it came shipped with xp and those settings

Recursion
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Don't use FAT32, it's limited to 4GB files.

LMS16
12-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Format to NTFS. Also, format the hard drive your install the OS on. Check your bios, twice if u have to :)

Lew.

matt$
12-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Still no luck, used same BIOS settings as sisters computer thats working with the xp cd, formated the whole hard drive to NTFS still no luck, it annoys me because it works using that cd on virtualbox on linux :(

Jack!
12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Still no luck, used same BIOS settings as sisters computer thats working with the xp cd, formated the whole hard drive to NTFS still no luck, it annoys me because it works using that cd on virtualbox on linux :(

Well, its not the CD then. Does it read any other disks if you change it to boot from disk?

matt$
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Well, its not the CD then. Does it read any other disks if you change it to boot from disk?

yeah it reads the linux one

LMS16
14-01-2011, 11:56 AM
yeah it reads the linux one

Then your windows disc isnt bootable!

Fixed.

Make the disc bootable (use a bootable iso and burn it with ImgBurn), slip it in & watch it install :)!

Lew.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!