PDA

View Full Version : Networking Dilemmas [need an answer ASAP]

Markeh
13-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Need a quick spot of advice regarding networking

At the moment, our network goes like this.

NTL Modem -> Belkin G+ MIMO router (F5D7230 I think). These are downstairs next to the family rig (a Packard Bell P4)

This sends wireless to every other rig in the house, including my 210, dv6, HTPC, and main rig, the latter two of which are upstairs.

I often work on PCs upstairs, and some of the time these do not have wi-fi.. I often do need an internet connection for these. Plus the wireless card I use with my HTPC won't work when I upgrade it to Windows 7.

I've seen a D-Link DIR-615 router (wireless N, compatible with G) for £10 on eBay. No hardware revision listed. I plan to put DD-WRT (which is supported on all hardware revisions I think) on it, and use it as a wireless bridge upstairs, for connecting Ethernet devices. Bear in mind the stock firmware would remain on the Belkin.

This would likely have only 2 or 3 systems connected at any one time via Ethernet; HTPC, anything I'm working on, and MAYBE my main machine, but I'd rather use my existing wi-fi card for that. There wouldn't be anything connected to the WAN port I don't think. IF I ever got a PS3/360, it would be connected to the router too but this likely won't happen.

Would this work? Will the DIR-615 be suitable (I know the stock firmware is supposed to be a pile of dog turds)? Would it be easy (read: doable in a day) to set up? Would this affect the operation of the Belkin at all? How would I set this up?

Another concern is, if I unplug the router from the wall and move it elsewhere, will I lose my configuration settings?

Need to know ASAP as I only have a couple of days before the BIN ends, and its already low on stock.

Markeh
13-01-2011, 10:46 PM
OK, checked, and the router is a D2 version, full compatibility with DD-WRT :D
I'm going for it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!