PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or XBOX360

lTraditional
14-01-2011, 10:03 PM
So, on Tuesday 25th January 2011, I will have my birthday - wooo! Anyway, I have only got one £40 present from my parents because they really don't know what to get me so to make it easier, I will be getting a Plasma TV (a small one) and a game console. I have already had XBOX360 however it broke so I am not sure whether to get a new one or to get a PS3 instead and I have never tried PS3 so I don't want to get it now and find that xbox is better.

So if you have either of the two or know all about it because you know somebody who has one, which is better. You may be bias but i'd rathar have an honest opinion and I know all the features for xbox however I don't know any of the features on PS3 except for Blue Ray so if you could tell me some then that would be great!

I want to know asap because tomorrow, I will need to tell my dad so he can order it online ready for it to arrive next tuesday (not the upcomming one but the next) so please tell me your opinions.

Thanks,
Sam

matt$
14-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Whatever your friends have e.g all my friends have Xboxs so it made sense to get one over a ps3 as half the time I'm on party chats whilst on the computer, for games they've basically got the same so it's up 2 u

Chris
14-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Xbox and ps3 are practically the same. I would say the the general online experience is alot better on xbox than ps3 because you can chat with friends in partys, etc. I would go with the one most of your friends play.

Andy-
14-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I say go on what your friends have, it depends per area. As where I live most people have Xbox but some have PS3. The PS3 lot normally play fifa and COD. While the xbox play COD quite alot. It also depends on your gaming experience and games you like to play online also. As if you play fifa online i would go for PS3. Though if you like COD xbox.

I suggest you go for what you like best. xP

Zuth
14-01-2011, 10:15 PM
PS3 all the way sam! It's got blurray! BBC iplayer! Itv player or whatever that's called! 4OD! FREE online! Fast! Keeps cool to prevent from over heating. Multiple chat. Chat rooms. Upload your iTunes to it. Playstaion Home! (It's like a virtual world) Loads more stuff on. Has to be better than xbox (Hence the price tag) lol. More people have xbox cuz there cheaper. ( No effence) and sam I have one! So we can play! Lol.

Hope it helped.

lTraditional
14-01-2011, 10:16 PM
50% have xbox and 50% have ps3 and some have both so it is no difference. Is it me imagining it or can you go online for free for PS3 and for XBOX you do need to pay for XBOX Live and microsoft points!

Edit: Ben, you beat me! Anyway, that had answered my questions.

Zuth
14-01-2011, 10:18 PM
PS3 Online is 100% FREE!

Chris
14-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah you have to pay for xbl gold but ps3 is free. If it's 50/50 I would go for ps3.

lTraditional
14-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah you have to pay for xbl gold but ps3 is free. If it's 50/50 I would go for ps3.

Cool thanks. I know my mates were having a debate about it when I had the topic up LOL. I wanted other opinions by other gaming fans aswell as a group of mates.

Gibs960
14-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I bought an Xbox 360 about 3 months after they came out and I've never looked back since! Online is great (as long as you've got real friends on your friends list), and as said above most games available on PS3 are available on Xbox or they have one very similar to it or better - Forza & GT for example.

A lot of people I know are saying they've got a PS3 and say that they enjoy PS3 but prefer their Xbox, which is funny cos my brother says his PS3 is better.

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy the PS3 or Xbox!

dbgtz
14-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Games and friends is the only real things. I would say 360 is seen as the better one for shooters whereas the PS3 is more for racers/fighters. In all honestly, you will need to look at their exclusive games library as that will help you decide. I'm not being a fanboy, but this year the PS3 currently has the strongest line up in terms of games. Also their is the accessories of kinect and move, if you fancy any of them then get the one which is on the console.

However another factor is friends, assuming you want to play online with them.

Finally, the services and design. I personally think the PS3s XMB is superior to the dashboard. Online-wise, the xbox is seen to have the superior online, but with a cost as it does have the £40 a month fee but it also has A LOT more XBLA games (or something like that, games you can download) then the PSN.

And gibs, have you ever played any PS3 exclusive games? Also in your GT5 and F3 comparison, I personally found F3 awful and couldn't stand playing it after like half an hour where I still play GT5. Admittedly, GT5 isn't amazing for the wait but people say "only 200 of the 1000 cars are premium", but that 200 cars destroys the amount of cars one game might have altogether so I don't see what people are complaining about.

In the end, it's down to personal taste.

Gibs960
14-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Played GT5 at my mates house and thought it was terrible, although admittedly the graphics are a lot better, but having seen the graphics for FM4 it owns the ass off GT5.

Little Big Planet is the worst game I've ever played and it's a PS3 exclusive.

lTraditional
14-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I am not sure, I would like the PS3 as it is new to me and new things are sometimes better then the things I have already have but saying that, I don't want to be disappointed. I am usually a racer/shooting game but GTA is probably like my life but then again so is Bad Company which is also on PS3.

dbgtz
14-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Played GT5 at my mates house and thought it was terrible, although admittedly the graphics are a lot better, but having seen the graphics for FM4 it owns the ass off GT5.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a fanboy but I don't think any racing game will beat GT5s graphics on consoles, because of that dudes sheer attention to detail and its mid 720-1080p (dunno how i would put it). I would like to see this gameplay.

Little Big Planet is the worst game I've ever played and it's a PS3 exclusive.

Did you play in the create mode or decent user generated content? I can understand if you played the story as that is really just aimed at the younger audience and isn't that great but the UGC is outstanding, and will be even better in LBP2. The BETA itself has produced masterpieces.

Jam
14-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Feel each controller, most comfortable > buy that console.

Oleh
14-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I would go for the one with the better friends as if you go for the one with the crappy friends you probably might never play with them.

Controller also plays a big part, i barely play on my ps3 because the ergonomics are very strange to my hand and it doesnt feel comfortable after like half an hour

Jacob
14-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I'd think PS3 but I've got an XBOX because literally everyone in my school has one. Don't want to be alone now do we!

Zuth
15-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Sam!!! Listen!!!! PS3 has Gran Turismo!!! One if the best racing games ever made! Took them 6 years to make!

Also if you looking at getting the old xbox 360 that hasnt got wifi but PS3 has wifi on both PS3 and PS3 Slim!

Also this is my 100th post lol.

lTraditional
15-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Sam!!! Listen!!!! PS3 has Gran Turismo!!! One if the best racing games ever made! Took them 6 years to make!

Also if you looking at getting the old xbox 360 that hasnt got wifi but PS3 has wifi on both PS3 and PS3 Slim!

Also this is my 100th post lol.

I take your words plus the PS3 controller I believe is pretty much the same as my PS2 controller so the advantage is I would have two spares unless I am incorrect.

Misawa
15-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Eugh, Gran Turismo. Sony sent me a copy to review and I sent it back.

Anyway, PS3. It's more than just a games console.

Oleh
15-01-2011, 11:10 AM
it acts as a bottle holder for me. does that count? :P

But yeah gt5 is pretty good MAG is a good game, shame about the terrible userbase and control scheme

dbgtz
15-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Eugh, Gran Turismo. Sony sent me a copy to review and I sent it back.

Anyway, PS3. It's more than just a games console.

You found it that bad? :S

And yeah but MAG isn't really worth the buy now, since few people play it. You can still find a game but not the 256 player ones as told, infact I never even found one at any point.

Misawa
15-01-2011, 01:24 PM
You found it that bad? :S

And yeah but MAG isn't really worth the buy now, since few people play it. You can still find a game but not the 256 player ones as told, infact I never even found one at any point.

No, I just can't stand racing games.

Hiro
15-01-2011, 06:56 PM
50% have xbox and 50% have ps3 and some have both so it is no difference. Is it me imagining it or can you go online for free for PS3 and for XBOX you do need to pay for XBOX Live and microsoft points!

Edit: Ben, you beat me! Anyway, that had answered my questions.

PS3 DLC content is more expensive.

Matthew
15-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I think the PS3 is the better console overall, as someone said above, its more than just a console (more so than the xbox anyway).

I have an xbox because more of my friends have an xbox over a PS3, so..
Get what your friends have, but if its about 50/50 id go for the PS3 in all honesty.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I spent a long time deciding over an xbox or PS3. Sorry if what I say has already been said.

I found that the PS3 was my preferred console. I looked at every single aspect, and honestly they are both seriously close. You should take a look at these videos, they are about 10 minutes each - and you can see whatever episoder you want - there are about 12 of them. The video creator looks at every aspect, from the design, controllers and games - to the hardware and reliability. The videos helped me decide what I preferred - and what was so good, is the guy who made them wasn;t annoyingly biased. Your friend will virtually always say to choose their console - but, if you do what I did, ignore the biased views.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xbox+360+vs+ps3+round+1&aq=2 - the ones you should watch are by 'jon4lakers' :)

Ajthedragon
16-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Having both, I would say get the one your friends have. Or if it's rather mixed, a PS3. They are more reliable, and more recently have some pretty good exclusive games such as GT5. I find it a gamers console, the xbox is an internet based console - more social.

JellyWorm
18-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Feel each controller, most comfortable > buy that console.
I agree, PS3 controller is annoying, xbox is nicely spaced out. PS3's dashboard is really crap, havn't changed it since they released the PSP. I'd go for the xbox ;P

AgnesIO
20-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I agree, PS3 controller is annoying, xbox is nicely spaced out. PS3's dashboard is really crap, havn't changed it since they released the PSP. I'd go for the xbox ;P

The appearance of the dashboard has always been what made me buy a console too.

Oleh
20-01-2011, 05:49 PM
well i have never purchased a console based on reviews either or pros/cons seeing as its a GAMING platform, doesnt matter if it has un-noticeably different visuals or better processing power, the games are based on user preference, id prefer gta san andreas over killzone 3/uncharted 3/gears of war 3/halo 3 because of personal preference not because some overpaid lark who is usually paid off by either of the 2 companies to give better reviews has said its "innovative". the playstation may have better visuals but on the other hand the xbox could have better games but the xbox could have better multiplayer capability but the ps3s is free. Yes the ps3 has gran turismo but who's saying the xbox wouldnt have it if it was around when the company was making it? it can go on, but if you have the chance, play each one for a week and then decide (i impulse buy consoles as i dont like fanboyism, although i sound like it, i hate it but im a hypocrite so..)

lTraditional
20-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, the PS3 has already arrived so I can't change it. Also, which games would you recommend as I need to choose before tomorrow.

Jam
20-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Halo
Gears
Forza
Conviction
Mass Effect
Crackdown
Fable

Maybe not then.

Misawa
20-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Mass Effect 2
LittleBigPlanet 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Gran Turismo 5
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas

lTraditional
20-01-2011, 07:19 PM
ok thanks guys +Rep.

dbgtz
20-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Mass Effect 2
LittleBigPlanet 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Gran Turismo 5
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas

In addition to these
If you're quite old, or near adult age and your parents aren't too bothered what you play then get heavy rain and god of war 3. Warning if you do have strict parents, both show womans boobs and god of war is extremely violent.
Killzone 3, out next month but still.
Resistance 2.

lTraditional
20-01-2011, 08:29 PM
In addition to these
If you're quite old, or near adult age and your parents aren't too bothered what you play then get heavy rain and god of war 3. Warning if you do have strict parents, both show womans boobs and god of war is extremely violent.
Killzone 3, out next month but still.
Resistance 2.

Thanks for that, +REP. My mum will hate seeing the rudeness of ladies, she even hated Bad Bear or what ever it is called because they were killing bears LOL. I am getting Black Ops, Modern Warfare and Grand Theft Auto IV however I might get Battlefield Bad Company aswell.

Ajthedragon
20-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Halo
Gears
Forza
Conviction
Mass Effect
Crackdown
Fable

Maybe not then.

I own both and I only like Forza.

GT5 - for sure.

lTraditional
20-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I own both and I only like Forza.

GT5 - for sure.

Added that to my list. Thanks, +REP.

dbgtz
20-01-2011, 10:40 PM
If you're getting GTA for multiplayer/general messing about then for story, then you'd be better off getting the Episodes from liberty city.

Ajthedragon
21-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Episodes from Lib City has more online stuff, and the storylines are quite good. :P

Oleh
21-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Modnation Racers :D

Jacob-G4E
21-01-2011, 08:17 AM
xbox 360 all the way! the only downside i can think of it the fact that you have to purchase live, as oppose to getting it free on PS3.

lTraditional
21-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Episodes from Lib City has more online stuff, and the storylines are quite good. :P

That was the one I got! Also, +Rep to Oleh, thanks for the recommendation.

Luke
23-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Right, I've had a PS3 since 2008, and got the 360 Slim last year.

The PS3 is if you litterally want your own little media center - it features TV catchup services, an internet browser with flash, you can stream music from your PC etc. It ALSO has some quite nifty exclusives - Little Big Planet, ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5 (pure amazing) and it has 3D gaming if you've a 3DTV. The online is free, however, it doesn't allow cross game chat.

The 360 is more if you're into pure gaming. It's built around it, you pay a premium for wonderful online services, and a brilliant voice chat interface across different games. IMHO the online gameplay is alot better. The console is cheaper, but you DO have to make up that with XBL Gold. Oh, and it has Kinnect which wipes PSMove off the floor.

All in all, both consoles do what they're meant to - PLAY GAMES. But each one has their own little addons, you just have to decide which addons you want.

Hope i helped.
Luke

lTraditional
23-01-2011, 10:56 PM

The PS3 is if you litterally want your own little media center - it features TV catchup services, an internet browser with flash, you can stream music from your PC etc. It ALSO has some quite nifty exclusives - Little Big Planet, ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5 (pure amazing) and it has 3D gaming if you've a 3DTV. The online is free, however, it doesn't allow cross game chat.

The 360 is more if you're into pure gaming. It's built around it, you pay a premium for wonderful online services, and a brilliant voice chat interface across different games. IMHO the online gameplay is alot better. The console is cheaper, but you DO have to make up that with XBL Gold. Oh, and it has Kinnect which wipes PSMove off the floor.

All in all, both consoles do what they're meant to - PLAY GAMES. But each one has their own little addons, you just have to decide which addons you want.

Hope i helped.
Luke

thanks for this. My B'Day is tuesday so I have got a PS3 however there is time to get a 360 with my birthday money because I can get them at £100 and I have £60 and then getting like £50 for my birthday.

dbgtz
23-01-2011, 11:15 PM

Hope i helped.
Luke

At the moment, kinect hasn't really brought anything the the PS eyetoy/eye hasn't brought already. The MODs have been brilliant, but those don't really count. I personally dislike kinect after trying it at pc world.
I'm not saying move is something new btw.

Tbh there's no point getting 2 consoles in such a short space of time, just get a few games.

Rottentroll
23-01-2011, 11:18 PM
You made a wise choice. Uncharted 3 is out later this year. If you haven't played the previous two I highly recommend them. Also if you're quite a creative person try LittleBigPlanet 2. It's amazing.
I was in the same situation as you a few years back. However I went for the Xbox. I'm on my 4th one now which is collecting dust. I got tired of them breaking on me so decided to switch to the PS3. Glad I did.

Niall!
24-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Build a decent gaming rig.

lawrawrrr
24-01-2011, 12:04 AM
PS3!! I GOT ONE TODAY AN IT'S AMAZING <3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!