PDA

View Full Version : HabboxLive Ideas

Mark
16-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Okay, after having a little chat with another Staff member I thought I'd post this thread.

I think it's time for HabboxLive to get a 'facelift'. It is getting a bit outdated and the fact that other fansites are getting more listeners is just not good!

The Layout - I think there should be a new layout or either merge with Habbox.com because the old layout is getting a little old and a little 'childish' if you know what I mean. In all respect, it looks more of a website I'd go to order my little cousin's birthday present, not a radio site for teenage kids with the average age of about 14/15. A few years ago HxL was getting 200 listeners but now it is only hitting 100, this is because the old listeners have grown up, if this is the case HabboxLive need to grow up to suit the majority of listeners. This problem partly being Habbo obviously.

The term "DJ" - I think HabboxLive should abolish the term "DJ" and replace it with either a nickname or their normal name. My local radio station have a few of their DJs called Boogie, Dingo and Kristal. These are quite catchy names and I think if HabboxLive did this it would really catch on! Having a DJ called (for example) DJ Richie sounds a little childish (especially when the average listener is about 14/15 and if you want this to go up I really think the site and a few other things need to grow up with the times if you get what I'm saying) when if the DJ name was just Richie it would sound a lot better! The same goes with DJ Jammy, if this was changed to Jammy it would also, sound a lot better!

The DJ Process - I think we all need to admit that some of the DJs are a little un-experienced or need a little practise. I think during the application process as well as a 60 minute clip of your djing after that stage there should be an actual 10 minute DJing show using Sam Broadcaster. It is all well and good a DJ Applicant using Sound Recorder but using Sam Broadcaster is another. Going back to the age thing, it makes HabboxLive listener age go down therefore less listeners. With all due respect, I realise Habbo has taken a lot of listeners away from Habbox but the more we can get the better!

Variety of Music & More Themed Shows - When I was discussing the HxL music to another staff member they noted that there was not a lot of variety on the radio. You need to try and suit everyone who listens to the radio therefore I think there should be a rota on what to play during the 1 hour you are on, if that be:

2 80's songs
2 90's songs
3 up-to-date songs
1 club/trance song
1 rock/metal song
and the rest requests + shout outs

Now above is just an example, and could be changed to suit the department managers.

In regards to the perm shows I think that there needs to be a smaller amount of them and then do them twice a week or something.

This is what I suggest:
Habbo Top 20 - With DJ Skynus : Monday 6-8pm - This could carry on as normal.

Dubstep Fix - With DJ Static : Wednesday 3-4am - Maybe twice or three times a week a week but instead of calling Dubstep Fix, call it the Variety Show and each week the Music genre would change. The schedule for this show could be posted somewhere on the forum or on the HxL website.

Movie Madness - With DJ Kell : Wednesday 5-6pm - This could be done once a week but maybe call it a different name and instead of doing just movies, the show could be put on twice a week and one day do movies, the next famous TV adverts/theme tunes or something to do with TV/film.

Friday Nights With Doctor Porky : Friday 7-8pm - I reckon this could catch on quite well! There is something like this on my local radio station, it starts at 10 on all week nights and the theme of the show is Sex, Relationships and Life. Obviously the topics could be changed because after all most of us are teenagers. The show could be called "All About Life" and just deal with peoples problems in life, like a person they can talk to without the embarrassment of doing it face to face.

Slumber Party - With DJs Random & Piper : Saturday 1-3am - I think this is good but have it at all times, not just GMT. EST/CST & AEST DJs could do the same but at a time to suit them and their time zone.

Eurovision Weekly - With DJs Gemma & Sam : Saturday 2-3pm - This show should be taken. This should could be one of the genre/show theme that could tie in with my idea at "Dubstep Fix".

Scandal Sundays - With DJ LexiiLu : Sunday 9-10pm - This can stay but maybe get people on air telling their opinion or have a kind of open chat with it on msn, skype or I've seen a few of these programmes kicking around where you can have a proper discussion but it is free to join and people can voice their speech without any hassle! Coders are the best person to discuss this with.

Nonstop Rock Block - With DJ Kyora : Sunday 6-8pm - The same as Dubstep Fix and Eurovision Weekly, turn it into a show that is aired once or twice a week with a different theme to it each week or have a schedule.

These are just a few ideas I think could change HabboxLive and would bring a lot of the old listeners back and hopefully 100 listeners wouldn't be so hard to get. This is not at all a dig or disrespectful to anyone at the department past or present, it is simple an idea. I hope this helped and maybe a few of my ideas may be put into practise.

Marky :)

Mrs.McCall
16-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Agree wholeheartedly about the first 3. Especially the names thing. There are so many DJ this and DJ that when really they're not DJs at all!

I think in terms of variety you're being unfair, I know HxL play a variety of songs usually and I think have a fixed quota could become boring. I think the HxL staff have it down pretty well what people want to listen to.

Mark
16-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Agree wholeheartedly about the first 3. Especially the names thing. There are so many DJ this and DJ that when really they're not DJs at all!

I think in terms of variety you're being unfair, I know HxL play a variety of songs usually and I think have a fixed quota could become boring. I think the HxL staff have it down pretty well what people want to listen to.

I have to tally agree! But it is about compramising, hence why I said having a little rota, if we play a variety of genre's and a variety of songs from different years but stick to the up to date stuff then everyone is happy! Hopefully in time this will increase the listeners and have people listening with all tastes of music.

Jurv
16-01-2011, 01:53 AM
I have to say that I agree with everything you have said, whenever I tune into the radio I always hear the same old songs and I think a 'variety' will increase the listeners.

Mark
16-01-2011, 02:15 AM
I totally agree! :)

gangstaagent1
16-01-2011, 04:58 AM
I agree with the first few points however the point of a perm show is the have the same theme every week. Changing the theme of a perm show would no longer make it a perm show just a show that someone has booked at a certain time every week.

I agree with the layout and about the DJ names however a lot of people now only use their name in their stream title and not 'DJ .....'

About the application thing I don't think this would work. Knowing myself the amount of applications that HabboxLive get I think this would simply be not possible as it would take too much time to put every DJ that applies on a trial server for 10 minutes. This does happen at a lot of fansites but with the amount of people that apply at habboxlive I don't see this happening.

Grig
16-01-2011, 05:08 AM
I do agree that DJs need to be developed in their time on HxL, like show feedback PMs and stuff, which was something that Jess did and it was great. I sometimes hear DJs and know exactly what areas need developing and it can be easily done via feedback PMs etc. As for trialing on a trial server, which is the system I use in places like CH, yes, it does cause overall quality to improve on the actual radio and it is hard to distinguish ones DJing from a 60 second clip, however I'm not all for this, as this is what the trial is and obviously if management was tough then those not cutting it wouldn't pass.

As for the name 'DJ'. I never really liked this term, therefore, I ended up just calling myself Grig on air rather than DJ Grig.

I disagree about the shows, I do not think there should be a smaller amount of them, if not incorporate a couple more of them. But re-brand the, image- make them something more that people would want to tune in.

As for having a rota of songs needed to play, yet again I completely disagree. We are going to turn in somewhat robotic if doing that, yes we need to encourage variety and this is exactly what we do, but we do not want to loose the freedom in music variety that we have now.

Grig
16-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Now that I'm not running to the ferry, I would like to say that the HxL layout isn't as poor, but it isn't the best it's ever been. Obviously the previous HabboxLive management were against incorporation into the main site, however, I feel that if you are incorporating HxL into the main site you must make an acceptable user system, so that it is easy to update. Last time it was incorporated it turned into a big mess because the system to edit the site was mucked up and the site turned out to be majorly outdated.

despect
16-01-2011, 08:18 AM
I agree about the site needing a new layout, however i don't agree with hxl being merged with the main habbox site. The DJ Variety imo has improved slightly from what it was a few months ago, but maybe having a few themed shows would be good for HxL.

About the term DJ i still don't think many djs actually call themselves "DJ" they mostly just say as grig said he just calls himself Grig.

I'll reply a bit more later on when i don't feel like crap, but thanks very much for these suggestions and they will be taken into consideration. :) and also +rep to you Mark.

Sarah
16-01-2011, 08:23 AM
I only commented on things that I had thoughts on :P

Okay, after having a little chat with another Staff member I thought I'd post this thread.

I think it's time for HabboxLive to get a 'facelift'. It is getting a bit outdated and the fact that other fansites are getting more listeners is just not good!

The Layout - I think there should be a new layout or either merge with Habbox.com because the old layout is getting a little old and a little 'childish' if you know what I mean. In all respect, it looks more of a website I'd go to order my little cousin's birthday present, not a radio site for teenage kids with the average age of about 14/15. A few years ago HxL was getting 200 listeners but now it is only hitting 100, this is because the old listeners have grown up, if this is the case HabboxLive need to grow up to suit the majority of listeners. This problem partly being Habbo obviously.

I totally agree, the layout in my opinion is a sight for sore eyes. It needs to be updated (which im guessing with will when the new verison of the main site is done.... :P However not too keen on the merge idea, yes I would agree that it would probably increase users all together - but I find it so annoying when I'm listening to my own music then visit the main site to be blasted by the Radio :(

The term "DJ" - I think HabboxLive should abolish the term "DJ" and replace it with either a nickname or their normal name. My local radio station have a few of their DJs called Boogie, Dingo and Kristal. These are quite catchy names and I think if HabboxLive did this it would really catch on! Having a DJ called (for example) DJ Richie sounds a little childish (especially when the average listener is about 14/15 and if you want this to go up I really think the site and a few other things need to grow up with the times if you get what I'm saying) when if the DJ name was just Richie it would sound a lot better! The same goes with DJ Jammy, if this was changed to Jammy it would also, sound a lot better!

I've always thought the its so cringe worthy when someone calls themselves "DJ" - I think this is a great idea.

The DJ Process - I think we all need to admit that some of the DJs are a little un-experienced or need a little practise. I think during the application process as well as a 60 minute clip of your djing after that stage there should be an actual 10 minute DJing show using Sam Broadcaster. It is all well and good a DJ Applicant using Sound Recorder but using Sam Broadcaster is another. Going back to the age thing, it makes HabboxLive listener age go down therefore less listeners. With all due respect, I realise Habbo has taken a lot of listeners away from Habbox but the more we can get the better!

If it could help the quality of DJing then I don't see how this couldn't help.

Variety of Music & More Themed Shows - When I was discussing the HxL music to another staff member they noted that there was not a lot of variety on the radio. You need to try and suit everyone who listens to the radio therefore I think there should be a rota on what to play during the 1 hour you are on, if that be:

2 80's songs
2 90's songs
3 up-to-date songs
1 club/trance song
1 rock/metal song

Now above is just an example, and could be changed to suit the department managers.

Sounds like a great idea, but is that really practical? Surely a DJ should know that they have to play a variety of music and setting them certain types of music would make it feel more robotic in my eyes.. I think the music choice should be up to the DJ themselves...

Dubstep Fix - With DJ Static : Wednesday 3-4am - Maybe twice or three times a week a week but instead of calling Dubstep Fix, call it the Variety Show and each week the Music genre would change. The schedule for this show could be posted somewhere on the forum or on the HxL website.

Surely the whole point of this Perm show is for Dubstep fans to tune in? That's the target audience for this perm show, so I don't see why/should be changed.

Movie Madness - With DJ Kell : Wednesday 5-6pm - This could be done once a week but maybe call it a different name and instead of doing just movies, the show could be put on twice a week and one day do movies, the next famous TV adverts/theme tunes or something to do with TV/film.

I suppose that TV could be added, but I think it should be up to the choice of the DJ. There also wouldn't be any harm in keeping it movie's and then someone else doing a TV targeted show.

Friday Nights With Doctor Porky : Friday 7-8pm - I reckon this could catch on quite well! There is something like this on my local radio station, it starts at 10 on all week nights and the theme of the show is Sex, Relationships and Life. Obviously the topics could be changed because after all most of us are teenagers. The show could be called "All About Life" and just deal with peoples problems in life, like a person they can talk to without the embarrassment of doing it face to face.

I know that they do/did this on Radio1 and seems popular and a theme each week could mix it up a bit more..

Nonstop Rock Block - With DJ Kyora : Sunday 6-8pm - The same as Dubstep Fix and Eurovision Weekly, turn it into a show that is aired once or twice a week with a different theme to it each week or have a schedule.

The same applies to what I said about the Dubstep hour to be honest, the show is aimed at people who like listening to rock...

Jacob
16-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I agree with a lot of what you have mentioned above but I think a lot of the things such as the 'DJ' title is unique and traditionally a Habbo fan site thing. You've got some really good ideas and I can tell that you have really thought this through +rep!

Mark
16-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree with the first few points however the point of a perm show is the have the same theme every week. Changing the theme of a perm show would no longer make it a perm show just a show that someone has booked at a certain time every week.

I agree with the layout and about the DJ names however a lot of people now only use their name in their stream title and not 'DJ .....'

About the application thing I don't think this would work. Knowing myself the amount of applications that HabboxLive get I think this would simply be not possible as it would take too much time to put every DJ that applies on a trial server for 10 minutes. This does happen at a lot of fansites but with the amount of people that apply at habboxlive I don't see this happening.

I totally disagree, changing the theme of a perm show still makes it a perm show, if somebody wants to listen to Rock songs they're not going to wait until the perm show to listen to it they will go to the likes of Spotify or iTunes. One of my main points about this thread is variety, something a lot of DJs struggle to do. By cutting down the perm shows, having them twice a week and change the theme from time to time doesn't hurt anyone. If you advertise it correctly then I don't see how the listeners won't go up. Just because the theme has changed still makes it a perm show because it is on at the same time each week.

As far as the DJs are concerned there is already a bit saying "Current DJ:" on HabboxLive.com. By taking that away, cutting down the silly names and then taking away the little jingles saying "DJ-DJ-DJ ICEEEE" then it will run smoother and stop the robotic DJ Ice, DJ Jammy, DJ Richie.

It's a matter of getting better DJs or losing even more listeners. With all due respect, I have to admit that a handful of the DJs sound and act like they cannot DJ at all. Struggling to get the next song on and talking about their Habbo being laggy while typing on msn (and we can hear the typing) is a little unprofessional. If I were you I'd be aiming high so even that little extra work judging the DJs by doing a 5 or 10 minute preview show wouldn't do any harm whatsoever. If you're talking about judging 10 DJs on a short preview using Sam Broadcaster it won't take anything more than 2 hours. Get all the DJs into an msn conversation, tell them the list and then tell them when to connect and disconnect. This will make it flow and this will result in a lot more good DJs and a lot less DJs that have decided to do it because their bestfriends ex boyfriend on habbo has DJed a few times before on an unofficial fansite. It will also give them something to aim for and then when they improve it is very rewarding. Also, I find that tuning into your local radio station does the world of good! Listening to professional DJs on air and listening how they act, how their voice is and their general DJ style makes a world of difference. If the DJs then 'copy' that, they are sounding and acting better on air! People may say, that is what the trial is for but the above suggestion is a lot less hassle than adding the trial dj perms, getting the encoders set up, making the radio sound a little unprofessional depending on who has been chosen and then keeping or removing the perms depending on their trial. The main point of the suggestion above is for the radio to sound more professional.

As for the name 'DJ'. I never really liked this term, therefore, I ended up just calling myself Grig on air rather than DJ Grig.

I disagree about the shows, I do not think there should be a smaller amount of them, if not incorporate a couple more of them. But re-brand the, image- make them something more that people would want to tune in.

As for having a rota of songs needed to play, yet again I completely disagree. We are going to turn in somewhat robotic if doing that, yes we need to encourage variety and this is exactly what we do, but we do not want to loose the freedom in music variety that we have now.

I have to agree with you, when you did DJ a lot more on HxL you sounded great! I think calling yourself Grig was a fantastic idea and it sounded great on air! As I said at the start of the thread, Jammy, Richie and Grig sound a lot better than DJ Jammy, DJ Richie, DJ Grig.

I don't think it will turn robotic at all and I have to agree i think i was being a little harsh with that suggestion, I think there should be a rota like thing in place where DJs have to play variety, rather than songs from the 00's play songs from the 80's and 90's. I have heard of many professional Radio Stations being told to do this but still focus on the up-to-date. This will increase the listeners and stop the stereotypical view of HabboxLive playing all the up-to-date songs.

The DJ Variety imo has improved slightly from what it was a few months ago, but maybe having a few themed shows would be good for HxL.

About the term DJ i still don't think many DJs actually call themselves "DJ" they mostly just say as Grig said he just calls himself Grig.

also +rep to you Mark.

It has improved but it still isn't great. A lot of the new DJs I have never met before so I couldn't really comment. But I think that if you have a little rota thing to stick to and even make it as simple as 1 80's song, 1 90's song and then 3 00's song or something along those lines. This can obviously be adapted to suit yourself and Gemma.

Also, thank you for the +Rep! :D

I've always thought the its so cringe worthy when someone calls themselves "DJ" - I think this is a great idea.

Nice to see someone agrees with me! :)

If it could help the quality of DJing then I don't see how this couldn't help.

Agreed.

Sounds like a great idea, but is that really practical? Surely a DJ should know that they have to play a variety of music and setting them certain types of music would make it feel more robotic in my eyes.. I think the music choice should be up to the DJ themselves...

I disagree, as I have said above even doing the simple 1- 80's song, 1 - 90's song and then a few up-to-date song and then do requests. this would fill the whole show and make things a lot better! If the DJ still has time then the process should be done again. The music shouldn't be all up to the DJ hence why the request line is there, the DJs should always think on what the listeners would like to hear not what they want to hear.

Surely the whole point of this Perm show is for Dubstep fans to tune in? That's the target audience for this perm show, so I don't see why/should be changed.

I suppose that TV could be added, but I think it should be up to the choice of the DJ. There also wouldn't be any harm in keeping it movie's and then someone else doing a TV targeted show.

I know that they do/did this on Radio1 and seems popular and a theme each week could mix it up a bit more..

The same applies to what I said about the Dubstep hour to be honest, the show is aimed at people who like listening to rock...

I'm part and part on this. My main suggestion was variety. Taking the perm shows, and changing them to suit other people is a good idea. A few DJs did a poll on community notice board or something along those lines and I thought the show was amazing! It got a lot of old listeners tuned back in for 1 hour only. This need to be increased not just for 1 hour and for most of the time. Hence why I said increase the variety of the perm shows by making a poll or using a schedule on what's going to be on next week.

I agree with a lot of what you have mentioned above but I think a lot of the things such as the 'DJ' title is unique and traditionally a Habbo fan site thing. You've got some really good ideas and I can tell that you have really thought this through +rep!

The DJ title is traditional to Habbo Fansites because it is the only word that has ever been used to define a presenter on the radio. What I did suggest is just calling the DJs Jammy, Richie, Grig. Things would souns a lot better. I personally would rather here "Welcome to HabboxLive, taking you through this next hour with a fantastic variety of music is the one and only, Richie!!" The DJ part sounds quite childish and a little repetative. Thanks for +Rep! :D

Sarah
16-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I disagree, as I have said above even doing the simple 1- 80's song, 1 - 90's song and then a few up-to-date song and then do requests. this would fill the whole show and make things a lot better! If the DJ still has time then the process should be done again. The music shouldn't be all up to the DJ hence why the request line is there, the DJs should always think on what the listeners would like to hear not what they want to hear.

Let me rephrase that, it should be the DJ who decides what to play with input from the request line - that goes without saying really. .

Mark
16-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Let me rephrase that, it should be the DJ who decides what to play with input from the request line - that goes without saying really. .

Fair enough :P

lawrawrrr
16-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I definitely agree with the majority that you've said, marky. I know for one, that I've tuned out recently because of the small amount of variety on each show, but I do see where the others are coming from on the "robotic" front, it really limits the DJs on what they can play.

Referring to the trial thing, I think it's a fantastic idea that the top trialists have to go through some more rigorous testing - it's really offputting when they're meant to be DJing but are talking on msn or having laugh on skype (unless necessary for the show). The amount of applicants that they get. It's probably not a feasible idea, but as I said, if they pick the best out of the 60 second clips, and just test them, then I believe we may have a much stronger team (although I'm not criticising the current team, it's only a small minority).

I definitely agree with you on the layout thing - I used to tune in on the habbox main website, and I know a few other people did too, because live is a bit of an eyesore on occasions. That's not a criticism to the designers, but it's been around for a while and it's getting a bit old IMO. However, merging it into the main website seems like a huge step - and increases page traffic hugely. The other simple "habbo radio" sites are getting a number of hits, even if they are unofficial, so this seems like live should keep relatively separate from the rest of habbox.

There have been a lot of new fansites and radio sites cropping up recently and this just increases the competition for listeners, so I think we (or rather, you) need to do everything we can to get some of our older ones back.

+rep when I get back on my laptop marky :)

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I definitely agree with the majority that you've said, marky. I know for one, that I've tuned out recently because of the small amount of variety on each show, but I do see where the others are coming from on the "robotic" front, it really limits the DJs on what they can play.

Referring to the trial thing, I think it's a fantastic idea that the top trialists have to go through some more rigorous testing - it's really offputting when they're meant to be DJing but are talking on msn or having laugh on skype (unless necessary for the show). The amount of applicants that they get. It's probably not a feasible idea, but as I said, if they pick the best out of the 60 second clips, and just test them, then I believe we may have a much stronger team (although I'm not criticising the current team, it's only a small minority).

I definitely agree with you on the layout thing - I used to tune in on the habbox main website, and I know a few other people did too, because live is a bit of an eyesore on occasions. That's not a criticism to the designers, but it's been around for a while and it's getting a bit old IMO. However, merging it into the main website seems like a huge step - and increases page traffic hugely. The other simple "habbo radio" sites are getting a number of hits, even if they are unofficial, so this seems like live should keep relatively separate from the rest of habbox.

There have been a lot of new fansites and radio sites cropping up recently and this just increases the competition for listeners, so I think we (or rather, you) need to do everything we can to get some of our older ones back.

+rep when I get back on my laptop marky :)

Thanks fior the +Rep! :D Also, I tried to explain myself about the robotic thing above :P

Hayleigh
16-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Thing about the rota is that i would tune out if it was just rock however if there was only one or two rock songs in an hour i would stay tuned in ? :)

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Surely then, you take, lets say ten of the best applicants, and stick them on a trial server? No one wants to listen to a squeaky boy talk about how cool he was at school the other day. No offence meant, but it is TRUE. I think the reason people enjoyed listening back in the day, is because the DJ's were older than the listeners. I don't want to tune in to someone younger than me though, talking about a load of ******** while playing Barbie Girl.

--

I agreed with a lot of what you said Marky, and I am on the wall with the whole idea of changing perm shows. Perm shows can be brilliant to attract different people to Habbox. Changing the theme would remove this chance, but at the same time, perhaps attract more people to Habbox? I mean, I will NEVER tune in to a dubstep show. So for at least one hour every week you could potentially be losing users. But if I enjoyed listening to the DJ, and also didn't love the music one week, but the next week loved the genre (but didn't know I did before), I would tune in weekly.

I, surprisingly, think removing DJ would be a good idea! Instead of 'Head DJ' you would have 'Head Radio Staff'. I think 'Senior Radio Staff', sounds more mature than 'Senior DJ' - although it is longer. The Radio department could do with changes after all. I know that Habbo is partly responsible for the loss of listeners, but you won't get anywhere in life if you put the blame on someone else all the time.

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 12:09 PM
I agree completely - I only read the first post but I do agree with everything that was said.

I do not mean to cause offence but some DJs have great DJing voices, but have no clue how to use SAM - hence making them sound nooby on air.

I also agree "DJs" should be changed. I think "Radio presenters" and then instead of "Staff List" have "Our Presenters" or something.

If I ever return I will happily pick up my perm shows where I left off - both the Blast From The Past and The Game Show. These both got high praise and great feedback, so I think more of these things need to be done, and not necessarily more chat shows. I think chat shows are good, but you need to keep the amount down so they are affective.

Oh, and going back a minute, for the trial process, I agree. A quick 5-10 minute "demo" if you like, of what the DJ can do on SAM on a private radio would up the standards. Not only can it judge their voice - the only thing you get in a voice recording - but their confidence on air, their confidence with SAM, and what their music quality is like. (edit) Matt, just read your post. As Milestone has suggested - take the best 10-15 applicants then pop them on the trial server, listen to them when you've made your decision take them off. It doesn't HAVE to be 10 minutes. Heck, at other sites that do this I've been on and off in 3. It just gives you an insight into what they can do on REAL radio, not a little voice recording. And then once you've listened to them you can out the best 5-7 through for a trial?

As an ex-DJ, I do have a little more insight, and I agree that these changes would be for the better.

Edit: The only thing I disagree with is the rota. It makes it robotic. Obviously every DJ has their favourite genre, so they're going to play more of that. Personally I put requests before myself unless I'm streaming, so if I get a request I'll play that before anything I want to play. But if they're forced to play certain genres or eras, it will make it repetitive because there are always eras & genres people don't like, and dont have any of, so if they were to be forced to play that era or genre they'll get 1 song and stick it on every show.

Grig
16-01-2011, 12:10 PM
It's a matter of getting better DJs or losing even more listeners. With all due respect, I have to admit that a handful of the DJs sound and act like they cannot DJ at all. Struggling to get the next song on and talking about their Habbo being laggy while typing on msn (and we can hear the typing) is a little unprofessional. If I were you I'd be aiming high so even that little extra work judging the DJs by doing a 5 or 10 minute preview show wouldn't do any harm whatsoever. If you're talking about judging 10 DJs on a short preview using Sam Broadcaster it won't take anything more than 2 hours. Get all the DJs into an msn conversation, tell them the list and then tell them when to connect and disconnect. This will make it flow and this will result in a lot more good DJs and a lot less DJs that have decided to do it because their bestfriends ex boyfriend on habbo has DJed a few times before on an unofficial fansite. It will also give them something to aim for and then when they improve it is very rewarding. Also, I find that tuning into your local radio station does the world of good! Listening to professional DJs on air and listening how they act, how their voice is and their general DJ style makes a world of difference. If the DJs then 'copy' that, they are sounding and acting better on air! People may say, that is what the trial is for but the above suggestion is a lot less hassle than adding the trial dj perms, getting the encoders set up, making the radio sound a little unprofessional depending on who has been chosen and then keeping or removing the perms depending on their trial. The main point of the suggestion above is for the radio to sound more professional.

I would like to agree on this point, that when starting out, tunning into a local radio gave me lots of ideas and things to work on and was a great way in improving. But we must remember, that we need to draw and fine line- this is all fine and dandy, but we are a Habbo based radio station and our target audience are not 40 year old women. There is a limit we can go to make it sound professional, however, sometimes it isn't about quantity, but about quality. Filling up a timetable with DJs isn't the way forward, it's slowly building a quality team, WHICH is VERY HARD because truly great DJs don't come along very often nowadays so we have to work from what we can get and by building up a team and working with them in forms of feedback PMs and what not, it could actually work out :).

despect
16-01-2011, 12:13 PM
About the trial thing if we did maybe go through applications and pick out the best 10 (depending on how many staff we need at the time ofc) and those 10 maybe go onto a private radio so we can actually hear what they sound like on air and how they use sam etc. :P

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 12:15 PM
About the trial thing if we did maybe go through applications and pick out the best 10 (depending on how many staff we need at the time ofc) and those 10 maybe go onto a private radio so we can actually hear what they sound like on air and how they use sam etc. :P

Can't believe how many times this has been suggested - I think I must have suggested it about 50 times, never mind anyone else! In the past, the radio department management always used to say they don't have time blah blah blah - but I think it is important to actually hear a DJ before leaving them to DJ for TWO WEEKS. That could potentially be 10+ hours of utter rubbish :P

despect
16-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Can't believe how many times this has been suggested - I think I must have suggested it about 50 times, never mind anyone else! In the past, the radio department management always used to say they don't have time blah blah blah - but I think it is important to actually hear a DJ before leaving them to DJ for TWO WEEKS. That could potentially be 10+ hours of utter rubbish :P

its always nice to hear someone on air before giving them a 2 week trial. :)

Grig
16-01-2011, 12:20 PM

That's the system I used on ClubHabbo and if you have time I'd recommended you do this as it helps, sorts out any hardware issues and gives you an even better chance to see if the DJ are up to scratch ;p.

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Have I convinced you to get a test radio and to hear people on thatbefore letting them go on the main one? As I said above, it is easy to use sound recorder, not so easy to use sam broadcaster.

Surely then, you take, lets say ten of the best applicants, and stick them on a trial server? No one wants to listen to a squeaky boy talk about how cool he was at school the other day. No offence meant, but it is TRUE. I think the reason people enjoyed listening back in the day, is because the DJ's were older than the listeners. I don't want to tune in to someone younger than me though, talking about a load of ******** while playing Barbie Girl.

I, surprisingly, think removing DJ would be a good idea! Instead of 'Head DJ' you would have 'Head Radio Staff'. I think 'Senior Radio Staff', sounds more mature than 'Senior DJ' - although it is longer. The Radio department could do with changes after all. I know that Habbo is partly responsible for the loss of listeners, but you won't get anywhere in life if you put the blame on someone else all the time.

I would like to agree on this point, that when starting out, tunning into a local radio gave me lots of ideas and things to work on and was a great way in improving. But we must remember, that we need to draw and fine line- this is all fine and dandy, but we are a Habbo based radio station and our target audience are not 40 year old women. There is a limit we can go to make it sound professional, however, sometimes it isn't about quantity, but about quality. Filling up a timetable with DJs isn't the way forward, it's slowly building a quality team, WHICH is VERY HARD because truly great DJs don't come along very often nowadays so we have to work from what we can get and by building up a team and working with them in forms of feedback PMs and what not, it could actually work out :).

Completely agree, very good comments! +Rep to grig and +Rep to Milestone when I can give you it next

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 12:22 PM
That;s the system I used on ClubHabbo and if you have time I'd recommended you do this as it helps, sorts out any hardware issues and gives you an even better chance to see if the DJ are up to scratch ;p.

Hate to say it, but ClubHabbo got something right. Why would you even consider giving someone radio access before hearing them? Especially when you are such a big fansite. If you had 2 users, I would understand it. But 100 or so listeners? Just don't.

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Hate to say it, but ClubHabbo got something right. Why would you even consider giving someone radio access before hearing them? Especially when you are such a big fansite. If you had 2 users, I would understand it. But 100 or so listeners? Just don't.

I agree completely, doing this will improve the quality of the DJing and the radio. If someone fails to get past the test radio stage then they will have something to aim for next time round.

despect
16-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes Mark you have convinced me :P its not a bad idea :D

Calvin
16-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Oh, and while we're at it could you stop DJs singing in between songs, like singing at the beginning then in the middle and then the end. They either sing a song, or they don't (I'd prefer this but yeah).

despect
16-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Oh, and while we're at it could you stop DJs singing in between songs, like singing at the beginning then in the middle and then the end. They either sing a song, or they don't.

This does generally get really annoying i have been trying to send out more feedback pms recently, this is normally something i say in the feedback pm that they shouldnt be doing.

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree completely, doing this will improve the quality of the DJing and the radio. If someone fails to get past the test radio stage then they will have something to aim for next time round.

Basically getting to that point would say to you: "You have a good radio VOICE, but you're not competent with SAM. Go away, get some practice, then come back" which is what it should say. So I'd be all for it.

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Basically getting to that point would say to you: "You have a good radio VOICE, but you're not competent with SAM. Go away, get some practice, then come back" which is what it should say. So I'd be all for it.

Yeah, something along those lines. If that was me they were saying it to I'd go off, get advice and then practice. I guess it's kind of like constructive criticism.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh, and while we're at it could you stop DJs singing in between songs, like singing at the beginning then in the middle and then the end. They either sing a song, or they don't (I'd prefer this but yeah).

Like bloody Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2. He always did that - ruined every bloody song. Think if they get caught doing this once - PM. Twice - warning. Three times - get lost please xx :L

--

Another advantage of inviting 10/15 DJ's to do a ten minute slot (depending how many you want to hire) would be that you could give each of them a short private message on why, if they didn't, get the job. This would be so that the DJ's would know what they did wrong, and that next time they should get a place (assuming they have worked on what they didn't do so well)!

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Yeah, something along those lines. If that was me they were saying it to I'd go off, get advice and then practice. I guess it's kind of like constructive criticism.

Yes precisely

Like bloody Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2. He always did that - ruined every bloody song. Think if they get caught doing this once - PM. Twice - warning. Three times - get lost please xx :L

--

Another advantage of inviting 10/15 DJ's to do a ten minute slot (depending how many you want to hire) would be that you could give each of them a short private message on why, if they didn't, get the job. This would be so that the DJ's would know what they did wrong, and that next time they should get a place (assuming they have worked on what they didn't do so well)!

Lol Steve Wright :L I was asked once or twice to sing on air, and of course obliged for the listeners but if they're doing it of their own accord it's a no-no.

And I think just telling them on MSN would be easier - after all you're probably in a convo with them anyway because you have to give them the details to the radio ect. And then as well as what they did wrong, what they did right, so they don't feel they messed up completely.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Oh another annoying thing, could someone remind DJ's to turn the sound of their MSN off? It is seriously annoying when you hear a ring every few seconds because someone is saying hi to them!

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:40 PM
The DJ Variety imo has improved slightly from what it was a few months ago, but maybe having a few themed shows would be good for HxL.

Going back to your comment James, the last 10 songs that have been played are:

1. Fenech-Soler - Stop And Stare
2. Kesha - We R Who We R
3. Katy Perry - Firework
4. Tinie Tempah & Kelly Rowland - Invincible (feat. Kelly Rowland)
5. Nicki Minaj - Your Love
6. Ed Drewette - Champagne Lemonade
7. Bruno Mars - Grenade
8. Ed Drewette - Champagne Lemonade
9. Katy B Ft. Ms Dynamite - Lights On

10 songs is about half an hour-ish, this shows that the variety is very slim.

Oh another annoying thing, could someone remind DJ's to turn the sound of their MSN off? It is seriously annoying when you hear a ring every few seconds because someone is saying hi to them!

It is also annoying when you hear the DJ type on their keyboard lol, not a major problem, just a little annoying

Inseriousity.
16-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Where did you get the "listener average of 14/15" figure from? I think HabboxLive has a unique listener audience that Habbox or HabboxForum hasn't tapped into and is perhaps younger than that. It'd be interesting to see actually but I've always assumed the HxL average age as 12/13. In fact, the target audience that the Competitions department markets itself at is what I call the 'HxL crowd.' Anyway I'm getting off the point.

So depending on how old you think the average listener is really determines what you think about your points. Sure, people grow up and move on so why would you want to target yourself towards that age group when there's more newbies to plug the gap. I don't think the DJ thing really matters. Possibly the opposite, I wonder how many people apply for that 'DJ' title and in some cases, I think the DJ thing is needed or it just looks stupid. There was a DJ called fistpumps (hi shanni) which would look weird without the DJ bit! :P

As for variety, yeah that's definitely something they could work on. I could just say request it but DJs can be prone to saying "oh I don't have that rock song, I'll just play Barbie Girl instead."

Calvin
16-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Also, can you also make the Habbo name field required in the HabboxLive panel because lots of people ask what's the current DJ's Habbo name.

And I really hate it when DJs switch songs because they don't like it or they're losing listeners.. of course you're gonna try and keep the listeners but you keep the dedicated listeners tuned in. I mean a decent old song is on, and then they say oh we're losing listeners so switch it to some **** uk top 40 song which is the time I tune out. :)

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Where did you get the "listener average of 14/15" figure from? I think HabboxLive has a unique listener audience that Habbox or HabboxForum hasn't tapped into and is perhaps younger than that. It'd be interesting to see actually but I've always assumed the HxL average age as 12/13. In fact, the target audience that the Competitions department markets itself at is what I call the 'HxL crowd.' Anyway I'm getting off the point.

So depending on how old you think the average listener is really determines what you think about your points. Sure, people grow up and move on so why would you want to target yourself towards that age group when there's more newbies to plug the gap. I don't think the DJ thing really matters. Possibly the opposite, I wonder how many people apply for that 'DJ' title and in some cases, I think the DJ thing is needed or it just looks stupid. There was a DJ called fistpumps (hi shanni) which would look weird without the DJ bit! :P

As for variety, yeah that's definitely something they could work on. I could just say request it but DJs can be prone to saying "oh I don't have that rock song, I'll just play Barbie Girl instead."

I didn't say that HxL should change their target your audience to a different age group, i said compramise. If we play a variety of songs from different years and genres everyone is happy! This way the listeners will hopefully go up.

The whole thing about DJ is a little robotic and not so nice to hear. Would you want to tune in to someone called DJ Waterworks or a presenter called Richie or Jammy

Also, can you also make the Habbo name field required in the HabboxLive panel because lots of people ask what's the current DJ's Habbo name.

Agreed, a lot of people come into HxHD and at the party rooms asking who the DJ is

despect
16-01-2011, 12:47 PM

oh thats something i'm going to get the djs to put in, as i know loads of people ask for the current djs habbo names. :)

Inseriousity.
16-01-2011, 12:50 PM
If DJ Waterworks was better, I'd tune into them more? I don't think someone having DJ in front of their name really has any effect on their DJing ability lol.

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 12:54 PM
If DJ Waterworks was better, I'd tune into them more? I don't think someone having DJ in front of their name really has any effect on their DJing ability lol.

No but "Richie" "Jammy" ect. sounds more professional than "DJ Waterworks". I like my idea of "Radio presenter" instead of DJ, then it can be like Radio 1, Capital ect. where they use their name and just say "Hello! Robbie here" or whatever.

Mark
16-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I mean a decent old song is on, and then they say oh we're losing listeners so switch it to some **** uk top 40 song which is the time I tune out. :)

This has just happened LOL

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 12:59 PM
This has just happened LOL

That is quite rare though. I admit I've done it on occasions but when listeners drop dramatically (ie by 10+) you do panic and want to put on a song that you know people will stay tuned for.

Mark
16-01-2011, 01:04 PM
That is quite rare though. I admit I've done it on occasions but when listeners drop dramatically (ie by 10+) you do panic and want to put on a song that you know people will stay tuned for.

Fair enough, I guess i was just being pedantic :P

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Fair enough, I guess i was just being pedantic :P

Yeah, even the best of DJs are probably guilty of it tbh. It's like "OMG :O the listeners are dropping ;O *changes song*...ahh thats better" :)

sammy
16-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm on my ipod so I can't type very much but in regards to the site I do agree, it is in need of a new layout but that's not up to me obv so i'm not sure how Gemma and James will act towards that. merging with the main site I am 100% against, Hxl deserves it's own site in all honesty and it has enough content for an individual site imo.

The whole "DJ" thing is fine as it is in my opinion, i think saying "this is Sam on HabboxLive.com" sounds worse than "DJ Sam" and it's not a big issue so i don't think we need to fix things that aren't broken.

I don't want to sound rude but i can't believe how often people say our DJs are childish or unexperienced, at the end of the day if they were either of those things they wouldn't be here. Gemma and James clearly take this into account before hiring DJs and i don't see it as an issue at all.

If you look back a month or so there was about 4 perm shows and Gemma had to get more. Petm shows are encouraged and the amount we currently have is most definitely not a problem but a good thing. DJS can't have any more than 1 perm show each now so that things don't get out of hand so it's fine as it is.

I'm on ma ipod so i'll read more and reply to whatever else when i get on my laptop :D.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Sammify, you have hardly any content?

Honestly, on the whole I think HabboxLive merging with Habbox would be a good idea. It would get the other departments more needed attention - including the ever dying rare values.

Sam, the DJ's at Habbox WOULD be here if they were childish or inexperienced. Many of the DJ's hired have little or no experience, and don't even try and tell me they do. That would be complete bollocks. I don't think experience is ALWAYS the key, but saying the DJ's are Habbox all have good experience is rubbish. Childish - again I know many DJs in the past who have been childish, talking about how cool they and their mates are etc etc.

Looking at HabboxLive this is the content you have (which isn't also available on Habbox and Habbox forum):

- Song Reviews
- Playlist
- Song History

Everything else is, or SHOULD be on Habbox.

---

Although, having argued that I see nothing wrong with having a seperate website, just I think it drags the Radio Department away from Habbox, ruining the community feel.

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Sammify, you have hardly any content?

Honestly, on the whole I think HabboxLive merging with Habbox would be a good idea. It would get the other departments more needed attention - including the ever dying rare values.

Sam, the DJ's at Habbox WOULD be here if they were childish or inexperienced. Many of the DJ's hired have little or no experience, and don't even try and tell me they do. That would be complete bollocks. I don't think experience is ALWAYS the key, but saying the DJ's are Habbox all have good experience is rubbish. Childish - again I know many DJs in the past who have been childish, talking about how cool they and their mates are etc etc.

Looking at HabboxLive this is the content you have (which isn't also available on Habbox and Habbox forum):

- Song Reviews
- Playlist
- Song History

Everything else is, or SHOULD be on Habbox.

---

Although, having argued that I see nothing wrong with having a seperate website, just I think it drags the Radio Department away from Habbox, ruining the community feel.

No, we have tonsssss of song reviews as well as the playlist, weekly shows pages etc etc and merging would just mean less people would get to see/read those. HabboxLive has always had a seperate site and it's worked well for years so why change things?

In terms of the DJs obviously it's difficult to hire DJs that please everyone but obviously they weren't just hired for no reason, they must've had a good app/sound clip so you can't just go around willy-nilly saying this DJ is crap, so is this one etc because Gemma/James clearly take things into account and don't just hire any old applicant.

The community thing is a load of rubbish, all it would mean is that they have to go to a different site to listen to the radio, explain how that'd improve the community whatsoever? :P They definitely don't need to be merged and I think if you ask most HabboxLive staff and regular listeners they'd disagree with the merging idea.

The Don
16-01-2011, 02:11 PM
If you want more listeners, habbox needs to stop hiring incompetent dj's who are roughly 10 years old and are off putting to listen to.

Sarah
16-01-2011, 02:12 PM
No, we have tonsssss of song reviews as well as the playlist, weekly shows pages etc etc and merging would just mean less people would get to see/read those. HabboxLive has always had a seperate site and it's worked well for years so why change things?

In terms of the DJs obviously it's difficult to hire DJs that please everyone but obviously they weren't just hired for no reason, they must've had a good app/sound clip so you can't just go around willy-nilly saying this DJ is crap, so is this one etc because Gemma/James clearly take things into account and don't just hire any old applicant.

The community thing is a load of rubbish, all it would mean is that they have to go to a different site to listen to the radio, explain how that'd improve the community whatsoever? :P They definitely don't need to be merged and I think if you ask most HabboxLive staff and regular listeners they'd disagree with the merging idea.

No one is doubting that it has worked in the past, be obviously (the listener numbers are showing) that it may not be working anymore. The content on the HabboxLive site could easily be done by the articles/news team - there is no reason it needs to be done specifically on the habboxlive website.

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:15 PM
No one is doubting that it has worked in the past, be obviously (the listener numbers are showing) that it may not be working anymore. The content on the HabboxLive site could easily be done by the articles/news team - there is no reason it needs to be done specifically on the habboxlive website.

So the articles/news team could choose a listener of the week? Song reviews and especially playlists are music related so it makes sense that DJs/the habboxlive department should be preparing them rather than the articles team. I suppose they could do it if it ever was to be merged but you don't have any stats to show how many people use the habboxlive site alone so you can't say that having a seperate site doesn't work anymore :P.

Grig
16-01-2011, 02:19 PM
So the articles/news team could choose a listener of the week? Song reviews and especially playlists are music related so it makes sense that DJs/the habboxlive department should be preparing them rather than the articles team. I suppose they could do it if it ever was to be merged but you don't have any stats to show how many people use the habboxlive site alone so you can't say that having a seperate site doesn't work anymore :P.

This is where I disagree fully. When I was managing news with Martin we were going to do this, but HxL decided to go against everything and do it themselves. I do not understand why. DJs are not article or news writers, the professionalism and quality of such articles will shoot up if they are done by the news and articles team. I know for a fact that a bulk of the team there listen to music and can analyze songs very well, and do it much more thoroughly then they are done now :).

Nick
16-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Well since i havent been with habbox all that long i think the layout habboxlive has right now is fine. But i do see the point of "old" habboxlive users seeing the same old boring layout.

Sarah
16-01-2011, 02:25 PM

It would appear you don't seem to have the stats either - so you've just argued against yourself. Listener of the week surely has nothing to do with the site? The little box and logo could easily be placed on the new site while Habboxlive Management/DJs choosing the Listener of the Week.

This is where I disagree fully. When I was managing news with Martin we were going to do this, but HxL decided to go against everything and do it themselves. I do not understand why. DJs are not article or news writers, the professionalism and quality of such articles will shoot up if they are done by the news and articles team. I know for a fact that a bulk of the team there listen to music and can analyze songs very well, and do it much more thoroughly then they are done now :).

Totally agree! It should be done by the articles & news team - if a DJ wants to write reviews on music then they are open to applying for that department also.

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Okay, so I'm gonna be the first one to point out that in the past 30 days listener numbers have been up 10-20% on the previous 60 days, in comparison to other sites we're doing particularly well however of course there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Layout wise I'm not really gonna comment, HxL won't be getting a new layout for now, at least. I'm pro merging onto Habbox.com but that's all I'm saying there, our new v6 would be able to encompass all the HxL content and have potential for more.

People moaning about young DJs really gets on my nerves - I don't mean to sound rude but at the end of the day we are a Habbo fansite, Habbo's target audience is 11-16 therefore this is our target audience too (however we do try to cater for 16+ too) - I believe the majority of HxL DJs at the moment are 15-17 and I'll prove this with some stats later once I've collected them. However we aren't gonna stop the younger ones being DJs - we don't get the amount of applications we used to due to lack of Habbo interest in fansite therefore we can't afford to be massively picky. The problem I see at the moment with New DJs getting things wrong is A) the amount of monitoring of HxL conducted by HxL Management and B) the amount of help/support given to these new DJs, some of them may have never DJ'd before and SAM isn't the easiest thing to use in the world, there are Senior DJ msn accounts etc for reasons however they aren't getting utilised. Throughout my time as AGM I've seen show feedback PMs from senior staff such as JamesOYES and Sammify however I could probably count on 1 hand how many I've seen, the PMs that I have seen have been absolutely fantastic in terms of guidance however it's simple - there aren't enough being sent.

I'd personally like to see any trialist DJ assigned a mentor who listens to every single one of their shows in the trial and sends them a feedback PM after every single one - at the moment we don't seem to have the senior staff level to do something like this but it's something Bolt660 myself and HxL management are looking into - boosting the senior staff in such departments as staff simply aren't getting the support they need to improve.

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:36 PM
It would appear you don't seem to have the stats either - so you've just argued against yourself. Listener of the week surely has nothing to do with the site? The little box and logo could easily be placed on the new site.

No but i didn't say "it doesn't appear to be working anymore", that was you. If it's been like that for years it's obviously been okay and it should just be kept as it is. If not many people use the HabboxLive.com site then fine but we can't really comment on how many people we think use it because we don't have any stats.

How does the listener of the week not have anything to do with the site lol? News/articles writers will really know who's tuning in all the time, sending in shoutouts and requests and coming to party rooms lol :S. Anyway, how will everything fit into the main site? Are you just saying we should have it all under a little tab? If so I don't see how that would work, there's obviously content on the hxl site so how would we fit the whole thing into the main site in a little tiny space like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/33beq0n.png

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 02:39 PM
No but i didn't say "it doesn't appear to be working anymore", that was you. If it's been like that for years it's obviously been okay and it should just be kept as it is. If not many people use the HabboxLive.com site then fine but we can't really comment on how many people we think use it because we don't have any stats.

How does the listener of the week not have anything to do with the site lol? News/articles writers will really know who's tuning in all the time, sending in shoutouts and requests and coming to party rooms lol :S. Anyway, how will everything fit into the main site? Are you just saying we should have it all under a little tab? If so I don't see how that would work, there's obviously content on the hxl site so how would we fit the whole thing into the main site in a little tiny space like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/33beq0n.png

j/s that's an invalid argument regarding the space as v6 looks nuttin like that

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:40 PM
j/s that's an invalid argument regarding the space as v6 looks nuttin like that

oh well if you're talking about doing it in v6 then obv i can't comment i presumed she was on about the current version

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 02:44 PM

I can tell you what is rubbish. Your pathetic biased view on this matter. It would improve the community, the fact everyone would go to Habbox. All the departments would help EACH OTHER. I doubt the regular listeners give a damn about where they listen, I know I ALWAYS used to go to Habbox.com to listen - and guess what? That's when I started using Rare Values. I also then started using the forum and viewing guides.

I am almost certain my WRITTEN applications will ALWAYS be one of the best sent in to Habbox. But I think we all know, that doesn't make me the best applicant. My infraction record proves this, so I probably wouldn't be the ideal moderator - based on my previous behaviour. But I bet my application is always one of the best ;)

I am probably wrong here, but I swear at one stage habboxlive.com was linked to Habbox? I seem to remember it appearing to be anyway - I could access all the information I wanted, and it was all on www.habbox.com

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I can tell you what is rubbish. Your pathetic biased view on this matter. It would improve the community, the fact everyone would go to Habbox. All the departments would help EACH OTHER. I doubt the regular listeners give a damn about where they listen, I know I ALWAYS used to go to Habbox.com to listen - and guess what? That's when I started using Rare Values. I also then started using the forum and viewing guides.

I am almost certain my WRITTEN applications will ALWAYS be one of the best sent in to Habbox. But I think we all know, that doesn't make me the best applicant. My infraction record proves this, so I probably wouldn't be the ideal moderator - based on my previous behaviour. But I bet my application is always one of the best ;)

I am probably wrong here, but I swear at one stage habboxlive.com was linked to Habbox? I seem to remember it appearing to be anyway - I could access all the information I wanted, and it was all on www.habbox.com

Yeah HxL did merge with Hx.com once but it wasn't done very well and radio management kicked off a bit. It's worth remembering that Habbox.com uses a god damn awful back end administration system so it probably was bad having HxL on Hx.com then however I personally believe Habbox.com v6 has huge potential for HxL - not saying HxL will be moving onto the site for v6 though - not immediately anyway.

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Oh well sorry for expressing my opinion lol :S I don't see how it'd improve the community and even after reading your rather rude and uncalled-for post I still don't see how that'd help things at all. I don't want them to merge and that's just my opinion but I know for a fact James doesn't either and I think I remember Gemma telling me she wouldn't want it either :).

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah HxL did merge with Hx.com once but it wasn't done very well and radio management kicked off a bit. It's worth remembering that Habbox.com uses a god damn awful back end administration system so it probably was bad having HxL on Hx.com then however I personally believe Habbox.com v6 has huge potential for HxL - not saying HxL will be moving onto the site for v6 though - not immediately anyway.

Oh I agree it wasn't great - looked a bit lame, didn't really fit with the layout. But the concept is a brilliant idea.

Just clearing it up, you know, so people don't post without actually knowing what they are on about ;)

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Oh I agree it wasn't great - looked a bit lame, didn't really fit with the layout. But the concept is a brilliant idea.

Just clearing it up, you know, so people don't post without actually knowing what they are on about ;)

Oh excuse me? Not knowing what they're talking about lol, remind me when you were staff or a regular listener? I know for a fact you're not a regular listener now, at least definitely not an active one in terms of sending requests or getting involved with the community ;).

Mark
16-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Personally I think that we're getting off topic with this thread. We need to discuss the original topic and that is the ideas stated above and if anything is going to be done or taken into consideration?

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Oh well sorry for expressing my opinion lol :S I don't see how it'd improve the community and even after reading your rather rude and uncalled-for post I still don't see how that'd help things at all. I don't want them to merge and that's just my opinion but I know for a fact James doesn't either and I think I remember Gemma telling me she wouldn't want it either :).

tbf I think (although his post was pissy) he raised a fair point by saying that he tuned in to HxL on Hx.com and then got using our values as it was the same site then read our news, guides and eventually came to our forum. Habbox is a unit not separate departments and if having HxL on Hx.com would bring more people to the site it's a damn good idea, afterall lets remember if Habbox doesn't succeed, HxL doesn't ;)

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Anyone who isn't radio staff? My post wasn't rude- the first two sentences were being honest. The rest of the post was completely normal.

It would help, as everyone would go to www.habbox.com, meaning they would see everything else Habbox does, and Habbox.com also gives more of show to www.habboxforum.com - surely you don't think a tiny size 12 link to habbox forum under 'links' is exactly promoting other Habbox sites. Which in turn stops Habbox growing.

Inseriousity.
16-01-2011, 02:52 PM

LOL!
Your comps app wasn't that good ;)

Tbf to sammify, he's entitled to an opinion whether you think it's rubbish or not. I agree with Oli mostly (not all of it but most of it). When people complain about "10 year old DJs", they forget that it's a Habbo fansite not Radio 1. Tbh some of the DJs are better than... Chris Moyles -fetches bucket-

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Personally I think that we're getting off topic with this thread. We need to discuss the original topic and that is the ideas stated above and if anything is going to be done or taken into consideration?

In terms of DJ quality my first post in this thread highlights my belief from a staff perspective, I want all staff to fulfil their potential at Habbox and I don't think this is something that's currently being allowed at HxL.

despect
16-01-2011, 02:55 PM

All points made in this thread i can ensure will be taken into consideration, its good to get feedback tbh its a good way to show us where we can improve etc. :)

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:55 PM
LOL!
Your comps app wasn't that good ;)

Tbf to sammify, he's entitled to an opinion whether you think it's rubbish or not. I agree with Oli mostly (not all of it but most of it). When people complain about "10 year old DJs", they forget that it's a Habbo fansite not Radio 1. Tbh some of the DJs are better than... Chris Moyles -fetches bucket-

Obviously he is but I'm just saying imo it's not a very valid point and I don't see how it'd improve things :P.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Oh excuse me? Not knowing what they're talking about lol, remind me when you were staff or a regular listener? I know for a fact you're not a regular listener now, at least definitely not an active one in terms of sending requests or getting involved with the community ;).

I don't need to be staff to know the basics of getting people to a website. I don't need to listen regularly or be staff to know how to run HxL successfully and in turn gain popularity to the rest of Habbox. I would say I often get involved in the community at Habbox, whether it be by taking part in events or doing things that I don't publicise.

I have never DJ'd at Habbox, and don't think I have applied more than twice (and that was a few years back). I have however DJ'd at ClubHabbo and some australian fansite (can't remember what it was called, but was one of their biggest and began with the letter H). I think the time I have been at Habbox enables me to have half an idea what I am on about , don't you?

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Obviously he is but I'm just saying imo it's not a very valid point and I don't see how it'd improve things :P.

I'm quite interested to know why you think that the growth of Habbox isn't a valid point tbh, Sam :P

sammy
16-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm quite interested to know why you think that the growth of Habbox isn't a valid point tbh, Sam :P

I don't see how it'd improve the "growth of Habbox", it's been like this for ages and having a seperate site works better. Surely it'd be harder for Gemma or James to update things like Listener of the Week, just like it was when it was changed before. I don't think it's necessary to change but that's clearly just my opinion and it's not up to me :P.

Inseriousity.
16-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't need to be staff to know the basics of getting people to a website. I don't need to listen regularly or be staff to know how to run HxL successfully and in turn gain popularity to the rest of Habbox. I would say I often get involved in the community at Habbox, whether it be by taking part in events or doing things that I don't publicise.

I have never DJ'd at Habbox, and don't think I have applied more than twice (and that was a few years back). I have however DJ'd at ClubHabbo and some australian fansite (can't remember what it was called, but was one of their biggest and began with the letter H). I think the time I have been at Habbox enables me to have half an idea what I am on about , don't you?

www.habbox.com/comps (http://www.habbox.com/comps) ??
I think youre talking about HabboHut?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how v6 looks (if it ever gets here, that is) and see if it can accomodate hxl as I can definitely see the knock-on advantages. In the meantime, HxL should advertise comps Habbox as much as they can!

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't see how it'd improve the "growth of Habbox", it's been like this for ages and having a seperate site works better. Surely it'd be harder for Gemma or James to update things like Listener of the Week, just like it was when it was changed before. I don't think it's necessary to change but that's clearly just my opinion and it's not up to me :P.

You are correct. It has been here for ages.

And I would say the decline of an average 100 listeners and the decline of the amount of people on the forum, would indicate change is certainly worth a try.

Obviously, both have started to go back up (as we have seen through the stats), but I am almost certain that by merging the two together - and I know the radio department will moan - more people will find out about habbox and habboxforum - which can only be a good thing :)

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 03:07 PM

He highlighted quite clearly how HxL on Hx.com would improve the growth of Habbox, people would use the site to listen to HxL then there's high chances that they could explore the site and that would take them to other areas of Habbox. There are too many people who listen to HxL (and tbh this includes some of the bloomin' DJs) that think HxL is a unitary organisation - this is not going to help Habbox and it's not going to help HxL either. A merge would.

You are correct. It has been here for ages.

And I would say the decline of an average 100 listeners and the decline of the amount of people on the forum, would indicate change is certainly worth a try.

Obviously, both have started to go back up (as we have seen through the stats), but I am almost certain that by merging the two together - and I know the radio department will moan - more people will find out about habbox and habboxforum - which can only be a good thing :)

Don't agree with you a lot in feedback Dom but your feedback (in my eyes) on this topic has been spot on.

Sarah
16-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Yes, but your claiming its okay - when you dont have the knowledge of whats the stats are. You don't know if it is okay or not.

I meant as in the articles staff would do the reviews whilst DJs/Habboxlive Management would choose the listener of the week. (I did say this...)

oh well if you're talking about doing it in v6 then obv i can't comment i presumed she was on about the current version

Yes, I was referring to v6.

Thats your opinion and as I said you don't know if its working, how would you know if it gets more listeners than the main site itself? Listener of the week could be updated via Habbox today, or they could just create something new for it to appear on. It's really not that difficult and I'm sure the coders would know what to do.

The whole argument someone is staff and not a regular listener is utter rubbish. If someone isnt a regular listener (like milestone has said he is) and then is outlining the problems he sees with the site - if the changes are made he might actually tune in? The fact is, you have a the smallest bit more of knowledge more on the Habboxlive site than any listener, you are just aware of the inner workings. This is the feedback section and we are just giving back feedback! :P

Grig
16-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Unlike many of my colleagues, I think merging the sites may actually help IF, and this is IF an easy to update user system is given to management so that sites can be updated without any problems, which was what the problem was before.

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I've read pages 1-6 so sorry if I'm repeating things said in 7-8 but my feel is:

Habboxlive DOES need a new layout, the current is quite garish and honestly I don't like it.

I am also FOR merging with the site. It would help people access www.habbox.com and the content on there (news, RVs ect.) which would help boost up those departments, as well as being able to advertise events more easily through maybe a little widget with the events for that day in a prominent place, and of course an advertisement for the forum. Bringing listeners more into the community.

I think the fact that the DJs are in-experienced is a problem. And the main problem is, as Oli has put nicely "some of them may have never DJ'd before and SAM isn't the easiest thing to use in the world". Honestly, my feel is send them away and tell them to re-apply when they can use SAM. They may have a brilliant voice - on a sound recording programme which a 2 year old can use. But a lot of GOOD DJing is knowing your way around SAM. Really, we need DJs who not only sound great, but can use SAM competently and don't go "urrr, where's this.." on air. It just makes me cringe. The way to solve this is, as Mark suggested, a 5-10 minute trial on a private radio to see how they do, then a PM or message on MSN or w/e to tell them what they did well and where they went wrong.

I HOPE these issues will be solved in V6 but well...it's V6...so you know ;)

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Unlike many of my colleagues, I think merging the sites may actually help IF, and this is IF an easy to update user system is given to management so that sites can be updated without any problems, which was what the problem was before.

This is essential. If the radio department management cannot update things as and when they need to, this will flop completely. But I will get in there before anyone else ;) I am sure Version Six will cater for this!!

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 03:31 PM
This is essential. If the radio department management cannot update things as and when they need to, this will flop completely. But I will get in there before anyone else ;) I am sure Version Six will cater for this!!

IF it comes. Lol. But I agree with both of you. The merge of HxL & Hx would help but James & Gem need to be able to update the site easily. That's all that stands in the way really.

FlyingJesus
16-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm obviously not an avid listener but I do whack on HxL every now and then - by clicking the "Habbox" link at the top of the forum. Today is the first time I have ever been on the actual HxL site because I've always listened through the main page, and I quite agree with Dom and others who've said that the radio extras could be put onto the main site. It's not a big deal and I can't see what disadvantages there are to such a decision - the two sites are out of sync with each other anyway so having both open (as I'm sure many listeners from the hotel may do) means having to turn the radio off on one, and then what's the point of having it there? Whack it all together and as long as it's looked after properly with the right people having the right access you'll get more use out of the site and the users will do too

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 03:44 PM
IF it comes. Lol. But I agree with both of you. The merge of HxL & Hx would help but James & Gem need to be able to update the site easily. That's all that stands in the way really.

An old woman could update v6 if given appropriate access, it is the easiest administration system I have used in my entire life, so no it doesn't stand in the way.

Mrs.McCall
16-01-2011, 04:27 PM

I don't see why this wouldn't work! If you look on the Articles page, Harry has done a fantastic and extremely well written review of some of the best songs as voted by Habbox users. I think Articles integration would be great.

Yeah, I was around for that. The HxL staff didn't exactly give it chance to be fair.

I'm obviously not an avid listener but I do whack on HxL every now and then - by clicking the "Habbox" link at the top of the forum. Today is the first time I have ever been on the actual HxL site because I've always listened through the main page, and I quite agree with Dom and others who've said that the radio extras could be put onto the main site. It's not a big deal and I can't see what disadvantages there are to such a decision - the two sites are out of sync with each other anyway so having both open (as I'm sure many listeners from the hotel may do) means having to turn the radio off on one, and then what's the point of having it there? Whack it all together and as long as it's looked after properly with the right people having the right access you'll get more use out of the site and the users will do too

I agree. I often catch it on the site (when my cookies are cleared and the player is enabled) and often, I'll stay tuned in. It'd be interesting to see the total visitors to Habboxlive.com vs Habbox.com to see how much of a difference it makes.

I'm about to make a controversial point now and I apologise for generalising but I find a lot of the issue is the Habboxlive staff. Now, I was Habboxlive staff and I was actually on the air when the maximum amount of listeners was increased to 100 (I think it was 100). So I know how change can work and Adzeh was always an advocate for it. However, I have noticed that the managers after Adzeh and certainly the staff have been reluctant to integrate themselves with other departments. Almost as if they are scared of change. Now I know there are arguments for the fact that other departments don't mingle in well with others but I would say that Habboxlive are very 'pally' and they don't like the idea of integration when, a lot of the time, it'd actually benefit them.

I think if the staff became more open to feedback and change, they'd find that they'd actually benefit.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't see why this wouldn't work! If you look on the Articles page, Harry has done a fantastic and extremely well written review of some of the best songs as voted by Habbox users. I think Articles integration would be great.

Yeah, I was around for that. The HxL staff didn't exactly give it chance to be fair.

I agree. I often catch it on the site (when my cookies are cleared and the player is enabled) and often, I'll stay tuned in. It'd be interesting to see the total visitors to Habboxlive.com vs Habbox.com to see how much of a difference it makes.

I'm about to make a controversial point now and I apologise for generalising but I find a lot of the issue is the Habboxlive staff. Now, I was Habboxlive staff and I was actually on the air when the maximum amount of listeners was increased to 100 (I think it was 100). So I know how change can work and Adzeh was always an advocate for it. However, I have noticed that the managers after Adzeh and certainly the staff have been reluctant to integrate themselves with other departments. Almost as if they are scared of change. Now I know there are arguments for the fact that other departments don't mingle in well with others but I would say that Habboxlive are very 'pally' and they don't like the idea of integration when, a lot of the time, it'd actually benefit them.

I think if the staff became more open to feedback and change, they'd find that they'd actually benefit.

I whole heartedly agree with this. As much as I don't want to rip the department apart, and ruin it for the staff - I do think that the department wants to be by itself - but the reality is the only way Habbox will grow, as well as the department itself, is by joining in with the rest of Habbox.

Gemma
16-01-2011, 04:53 PM
To be honest, variety on the radio is pretty good, I'm always seeing songs from a range of genres and ages being played. Although, sometimes it may be hard for DJs to play such variety if they're being flooded with requests - obviously, what the listeners want comes first, and if listeners wants to here some older tracks, they're free to send in what they'd like to be played. We have quite a few perm shows at the moment which all bring something different, so I don't see the whole point about not having enough themed shows, if a DJ wants to hold a special themed show, then they can ask and it'll most likely be approved.

I disagree with getting rid of DJ at the front of names, if a DJ wants to say DJ, then they can, if they don't want to then that's up to them. I don't find it childish at all, 'DJ' is a real life term which I'm seeing being used on adverts for parties, clubs, etc all the time. I think that's just getting a bit picky, because it's seriously not a big deal at all.

It really gets to me when people start critising the ages of DJs and start saying things like younger DJs talk about a load of **** while playing Barbie (which someone said in this thread). That's a load of rubbish, and you're just assuming what younger DJs are like when they clearly aren't; if anything, the younger DJs try harder to be more professional. I don't see any younger DJs being any more 'immature' than the older DJs, the overall on air maturity level is the pretty much the same, regardless of age. If anything, having younger DJs is a bennefit, they generally have more time and are able to stick around for a lot longer, therefore leading them to go further within the department and creating a larger listener base.

There is no need for 10 minute slots on a server to check DJs before they are hired, about 99% of DJs that we hire turn out to be amazing and do a brilliant job anyway. A 1 minute clip and a written application is enough to determine the quality of the applicant, we do not need anything else. I know it was mentioned that clubhabbo used a trial server, but I didn't see them with any groundbreaking DJs, and we don't find ourselves with DJs that don't know what they're doing anymore than they do.

I think the overall quality of DJs has improved. DJs do know how to use Sam Broadcaster, and if they have any problems they ask, and then the problems are quickly resolved and they can start DJing at their maximum potential. With Oli saying that DJs don't get helped enough, that is not true at all. James, Sam and I are always getting asked for help and we're always there to give it! Show feedbacks are still being sent out (though I do agree they should be sent more often), and they help the DJ to improve on any errors. Some people mentioned about DJs singing in songs and taking songs off the air if the DJ doesn't like it, I don't see that at all, but if anything like that were to happen it'd be dropped into a feedback PM! Anyway, it's not like we go around hiring DJs that have no idea on what they're doing just for the sake of hiring a certain amount of DJs etc to "fill the timetable" as Grig said, because each application is checked thouroughly, and if we don't have enough successful applicants, we won't hire them for the sake of it. Everyone who ends up getting a trial, deserves a trial.

I would like to see a new layout being introduced around the same time as V6, this one is getting outdated and I'm sure something far better could be produced. Though I fully disagree with merging HabboxLive with Habbox, and I know that James and Sam do too. Why do we disagree? There's several reasons - it's been working fine for years (even before listeners started to drop, so it's not the cause of that), Habbox already lags lots, so with so much extra content it would be like lag city, it could take listeners who aren't interested in news, rare values etc away, it'll make song reviews/playlist less read, it may be hard to update the site, if Habbox.com crashed, viewers/listeners would have nowhere else to go apart from other fansites, there may not be enough room for all content, it could fail like last time, and it's just pointless, and I know that many members of previous Radio Management agree.

Sarah
16-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I would like to see a new layout being introduced around the same time as V6, this one is getting outdated and I'm sure something far better could be produced. Though I fully disagree with merging HabboxLive with Habbox, and I know that James and Sam do too. Why do we disagree? There's several reasons - it's been working fine for years (even before listeners started to drop, so it's not the cause of that), Habbox already lags lots, so with so much extra content it would be like lag city, it could take listeners who aren't interested in news, rare values etc away, it'll make song reviews/playlist less read, it may be hard to update the site, if Habbox.com crashed, viewers/listeners would have nowhere else to go apart from other fansites, there may not be enough room for all content, it could fail like last time, and it's just pointless, and I know that many members of previous Radio Management agree.

In fairness, the current site does lag sometimes - but the new site may not have this problem. No one I dont think would agree that in the current state of the site that it should be merged - but possibly after v6. Another way of listening to the radio is through the forum at the bottom, so even if the habbox site crashed there is still methods. Hecktix has already said that the system is very easy to update (for listeners, playlists).

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Gems you have virtually NO extra content. You don't have any extra images - and text is not going to make Habbox lag :S

I am glad to see you have decided that HabboxLive is fine as it is, that nothing needs changing, you are just as big and super as you always have been and that Habbox would not benefit in anyway from a merge.

What a bloody predictable result.

,Jess,
16-01-2011, 04:59 PM
I think that the layout does need updating but in terms of how it looks it is a hell of a lot better than some of the layouts that HabboxLive had in the past. I have always been against the site merging with Hx.com just because of how badly it went the last time. When Habbox V6 comes then maybe it would be an option because by the sounds of things it would be easier to manage and as long as all went well it could do well for both HabboxLive and the rest of Habbox. This said, a lot of people like to use the HabboxLive site, some of the dedicated listeners solely use the site and like it being easy to find all of the HabboxLive info together.

The HabboxLive staff doing the playlist and reviews I always liked because it gave people more of an imput if they wanted. It is an added workload and not sure on how it is done now but it could be shared with the articles dept like hxl picking the songs and articles reviewing? I just think that them being hxl content makes a lot of sense because it is to do with music and if habboxlive staff enjoying writing them and doing them, I see no harm.

With the amount of listeners, I think that the popularity of Habbo radios in general has fallen. Of course there is always a way to improve but it isn't something that happens overnight and lately I have noticed that the listeners have been increasing consistantly. Last night at 2am there was around 60 listeners and I think that one thing HabboxLive has over other radios is that it is fairly popular at all times not just GMT but EST and AEST. HabboxLive has always tried to cater for different timezones and looking at the staff list there are loads of staff for all these times and having good listeners consistantly is better than 200 at primetime and then 20 after 10pm GMT.

The number of perm shows is fantastic, they are all very different and therefore give variety that people want. Weekly shows give DJs a chance to really plan shows and make sure that they are full of content and they are normal the most interesting shows to listen to because they are really thought through. In terms of variety on air, I think by having a quota it won't work in the right way. I've been tuning in lately and hearing a wide range of music. Obviously there are certain songs and artists that you can't seem to get away from but each DJ has heir own style and tries to incorporate something different. In the primetime hours you are less likely to hear variety and this could be improved but it is difficult for DJs when they get so many requests, if you ignore them then you annoy a listener and they want to know why. If they aren't getting the songs they want then they may go elsewhere. Getting the right balance is very important and I think this is what you were getting at with the quota thing. People can easily check the last played songs before they go on air but I don;t think that this is always done, hence the same songs being repeated and I think that this should be encouraged more because then it starts to tackle the problem of not enough variety.

The quality of DJs in general I think is good, it may not be perfect but people can improve. This is what the senior DJs are there for and the show feedback PMs. Given the right guidance I think that the majority of DJs will be amazing. When getting DJ applications some people might not sound the most polished but they have personality and sound natural. Some people sound really over-rehearsed and say the same thing in their apps and it is important to get DJs that will bring something new. I am sure that Gemma and James pick DJs they think are both talented and have the potential to be amazing. Lately there have been many new additions so a lot of settling in but over time I am sure that the quality will pick up because that all comes with time and experience.

Giving people a trial on a server is good, I oly did it a few times and that was because it does take up a lot more added time. You have to make sure you have a time when both you and the DJ are available and it does give that person added pressure. The good thing about the 2 week trial is that people get a chance to settle in and they often improve over those 2 weeks and you see something that you wouldn't have had within 10 minutes. Having the 10 minute trial system would be good but it isn't always the best option or the most practical.

Calvin
16-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I would like to see a new layout being introduced around the same time as V6, this one is getting outdated and I'm sure something far better could be produced. Though I fully disagree with merging HabboxLive with Habbox, and I know that James and Sam do too. Why do we disagree? There's several reasons - it's been working fine for years (even before listeners started to drop, so it's not the cause of that), Habbox already lags lots, so with so much extra content it would be like lag city, it could take listeners who aren't interested in news, rare values etc away, it'll make song reviews/playlist less read, it may be hard to update the site, if Habbox.com crashed, viewers/listeners would have nowhere else to go apart from other fansites, there may not be enough room for all content, it could fail like last time, and it's just pointless, and I know that many members of previous Radio Management agree.And if I'm correct, there were stuff such as widgets planned so people could change to a HabboxLive style and it'll load all the HabboxLive elements. And doing a seperate design just for HabboxLive is just pointless and wastes time. If you merge them both then it'll be much more easier and it's still like the HabboxLive site and the system is really easy and you'll be able to update HabboxLive on a daily basis.

Who cares if it's worked for years, it's time to move on and get HabboxLive involved with Habbox instead of them doing it all themselves. If HabboxLive merges with Habbox then it'll help other departments aswell as other users will visit them.

Hey, while we're at it we could make a seperate site for the other departments such as rare values, www.habboxvalues.com.

Hayleigh
16-01-2011, 05:06 PM
The application thangg maybe erm if they got past an application but before 2 week trial did 10 min show ? then they know what to improve on and like if their mic is on the wrong settings?

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I think we seem to have a problem with some people at HabboxLive believing HabboxLive is a completely separate entity from Habbox and this needs combatting if we are going to succeed at anything.

Anybody looking for a few home truths should be reading the post posted by ,Jess, as I really cannot fault what's been said there :)

FlyingJesus
16-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Why do we disagree? There's several reasons - it's been working fine for years

Lots of things work that aren't necessary

Habbox already lags lots, so with so much extra content it would be like lag city

What content? Almost all of the HxL site is text, if you had a whole load of movie files and images were saved as .bmp then I'd see this as a point, but it's really not

it could take listeners who aren't interested in news, rare values etc away

How? There are plenty of areas of this forum that I don't use and have no interest in but that doesn't make me stop using the bits I do like

it'll make song reviews/playlist less read

Again, how/why?

it may be hard to update the site

It shouldn't be, and frankly anyone managing an online radio ought to have some knowledge of the technical aspects of it all rather than just being a long-time presenter

if Habbox.com crashed, viewers/listeners would have nowhere else to go apart from other fansites

And if I run out of bread I won't have sandwiches :S The HxL site might crash, this is not a valid point

there may not be enough room for all content

You're quite right, the internet is so tiny it couldn't possibly hold all of that text

it could fail like last time, and it's just pointless, and I know that many members of previous Radio Management agree.

Let's never progress in anything in case it doesn't go to plan...

Hayleigh
16-01-2011, 05:10 PM
And if I'm correct, there were stuff such as widgets planned so people could change to a HabboxLive style and it'll load all the HabboxLive elements. And doing a seperate design just for HabboxLive is just pointless and wastes time. If you merge them both then it'll be much more easier and it's still like the HabboxLive site and the system is really easy and you'll be able to update HabboxLive on a daily basis.

Who cares if it's worked for years, it's time to move on and get HabboxLive involved with Habbox instead of them doing it all themselves. If HabboxLive merges with Habbox then it'll help other departments aswell as other users will visit them.

Hey, while we're at it we could make a seperate site for the other departments such as rare values, www.habboxvalues.com.
+rep but yeah habboxlive having a separate site dont see the point tbh cos usually when habbox is down habboxlive is too. Plus then if i wanna look at values and listen to the radio then having habboxlive is pointless just use habbox? also habboxlive.com dosent work on ipods or most phones anyway so im not gunna open that seperately and take an interest in habboxlive when i cant listen to it on my phone and considering when us 'underage' lot are told to go to bed most of us use our ipod's we just go on either habbox forum or habbox.com. Couldnt you get an habboxlive app xD

gangstaagent1
16-01-2011, 05:12 PM
The application thangg maybe erm if they got past an application but before 2 week trial did 10 min show ? then they know what to improve on and like if their mic is on the wrong settings?
Between the time when a DJ is accepted for a trial and at the end of the 2 weeks, usually there is a HUGE difference in between the DJing quality. If you make people do a 10 minutes trial loads will just be nervous and could usually be amazing at DJing just flunk the application because they are too nervous. I believe that with a 2 week trial it gives DJs the chance to improve and see how good they do within a few shows and not just 10 minutes.

Chippiewill
16-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Let's never progress in anything in case it doesn't go to plan...

I agree, Habbox doesn't need managers who'll keep doing what has happened for years just because it works. Innovation is key for Habbox to continue and thrive, the managers cannot keep sitting on their hands waiting for Habbox to decline again before trying to improve and any manager with that attitude should be sacked.

gangstaagent1
16-01-2011, 05:13 PM
+rep but yeah habboxlive having a separate site dont see the point tbh cos usually when habbox is down habboxlive is too. Plus then if i wanna look at values and listen to the radio then having habboxlive is pointless just use habbox? also habboxlive.com dosent work on ipods or most phones anyway so im not gunna open that seperately and take an interest in habboxlive when i cant listen to it on my phone and considering when us 'underage' lot are told to go to bed most of us use our ipod's we just go on either habbox forum or habbox.com. Couldnt you get an habboxlive app xD

www.habboxlive.com/ipod.html ;)

Calvin
16-01-2011, 05:15 PM
+rep but yeah habboxlive having a separate site dont see the point tbh cos usually when habbox is down habboxlive is too. Plus then if i wanna look at values and listen to the radio then having habboxlive is pointless just use habbox? also habboxlive.com dosent work on ipods or most phones anyway so im not gunna open that seperately and take an interest in habboxlive when i cant listen to it on my phone and considering when us 'underage' lot are told to go to bed most of us use our ipod's we just go on either habbox forum or habbox.com. Couldnt you get an habboxlive app xDI gave Jess the code for the iPod which Matt posted. Perhaps for v6 a mobile site could be done, still allowing you to change back to the main site of course.

And Dan could complain no one can view rare values because it's down so he needs a brand new seperate website. It wouldn't really happen.

Hayleigh
16-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Between the time when a DJ is accepted for a trial and at the end of the 2 weeks, usually there is a HUGE difference in between the DJing quality. If you make people do a 10 minutes trial loads will just be nervous and could usually be amazing at DJing just flunk the application because they are too nervous. I believe that with a 2 week trial it gives DJs the chance to improve and see how good they do within a few shows and not just 10 minutes.
I didnt mean this to be part of their trial i meant they did this first cos sometimes for example on one of ginas shows (ily gina) her mic settings were wrong on her first show so it would kinda ease them so they know everything is working correctly

---------- Post added 16-01-2011 at 05:20 PM ----------

www.habboxlive.com/ipod.html ;)
Thanksss :D couldn't you post this on HxL so everyone knew if it isnt already D:

gangstaagent1
16-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I didnt mean this to be part of their trial i meant they did this first cos sometimes for example on one of ginas shows (ily gina) her mic settings were wrong on her first show so it would kinda ease them so they know everything is working correctly

There is a test server that habboxlive has i believe that lets users go on air and see if everything is working fine on a test server before the actual show if they wish to.

Hayleigh
16-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok kool i didnt know that sorry
PS GET ON WITH UR HOMEWORK

Mrs.McCall
16-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Gems,x this is the problem I'm talking about. You've just dismissed feedback from not only your listeners but also your general management. If people are telling you things need to be changed, they need to be changed! Matt has already admitted that listenership is down already and I can't see that improving unless change is made. It's your job as manager not to rest on your laurels and try and make a difference.

The term DJs is daft. It sounds ridiculous and outdated and you'd be surprised what removing that would do. DJs are Disc Jockeys, people in nightclubs who spin records. Habboxlive 'DJs' don't do that. They sit in their room playing MP3s through SAM broadcaster. It isn't a relevant title.

I agree with you about the age thing, it's a young person's website and young people are going to working on it. You can't discriminate age, I completely agree.

The trial server is a remarkable idea. Dedicated listeners to your site have told you the level of competence that your new DJs are showing is not up to standard. You can't judge somebody based on a 1 minute clip. In Articles, we get them to write a sample article and that's OK because anything they do wrong can be removed from the website. If a DJ messes up on air, it's live and nothing can erase that. Also, people have stated in here very clearly that DJs DO sing songs a lot and you've just ignored that. I understand you can't police the site every day but, come on, you need to listen to people.

You can't dismiss something like a merger in one fell swoop. I've never understood why HxL staff are, on the whole, so set in their ways. Habbox is a site that's forever changing with the times and you have to move with it. Habbox 'lagging' isn't something I've noticed for an extremely long time and you can't say that your listeners aren't interested in other stuff such as news and articles because why would you put such text on the HxL website? I can see why you'd be reluctant but you NEED to try new things. You can't just say "it WILL fail".

Habboxlive needs to stop thinking it's part of a different website. It's part of Habbox and it needs to listen to the community.

sammy
16-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Gems,x this is the problem I'm talking about. You've just dismissed feedback from not only your listeners but also your general management. If people are telling you things need to be changed, they need to be changed! Matt has already admitted that listenership is down already and I can't see that improving unless change is made. It's your job as manager not to rest on your laurels and try and make a difference.

The term DJs is daft. It sounds ridiculous and outdated and you'd be surprised what removing that would do. DJs are Disc Jockeys, people in nightclubs who spin records. Habboxlive 'DJs' don't do that. They sit in their room playing MP3s through SAM broadcaster. It isn't a relevant title.

I agree with you about the age thing, it's a young person's website and young people are going to working on it. You can't discriminate age, I completely agree.

The trial server is a remarkable idea. Dedicated listeners to your site have told you the level of competence that your new DJs are showing is not up to standard. You can't judge somebody based on a 1 minute clip. In Articles, we get them to write a sample article and that's OK because anything they do wrong can be removed from the website. If a DJ messes up on air, it's live and nothing can erase that. Also, people have stated in here very clearly that DJs DO sing songs a lot and you've just ignored that. I understand you can't police the site every day but, come on, you need to listen to people.

You can't dismiss something like a merger in one fell swoop. I've never understood why HxL staff are, on the whole, so set in their ways. Habbox is a site that's forever changing with the times and you have to move with it. Habbox 'lagging' isn't something I've noticed for an extremely long time and you can't say that your listeners aren't interested in other stuff such as news and articles because why would you put such text on the HxL website? I can see why you'd be reluctant but you NEED to try new things. You can't just say "it WILL fail".

Habboxlive needs to stop thinking it's part of a different website. It's part of Habbox and it needs to listen to the community.

Me, Gemma and James have been talking about the feedback and it certainly won't be dismissed, in fact Gemma's already looking into improvements but it can't just happen overnight, it needs time for things to improve. In regards to the site being merged we personally don't agree but if that happens it happens, at the end of the day it's up to gen management and it can't be changed by Gemma or James so if it does take place (which it probably will) we'll just have to live with it and see how things go :).

As Jess said, the two-week trial gives the DJs time to improve and in my opinion a 10-minute trial would be just as informative of a DJs skills as a 60-second clip. HxL is only a teen Habbo radio station, we don't need to give trialists a hard time and if they mess up on their trial they'll obviously be dealt with in whatever way is appropriate. It could happen, but imo it doesn't really have much of a difference to the current system.

I find it strange that all DJs/HabboxLive staff are somehow set in their ways? All we've said we're against is the merge idea and the "DJ" thing. And that's only opinion, both of those could still go ahead. A feedback thread is for discussion and you can't say that anyone's opinion is wrong or that they're a bad manager just because of an opinion they have towards certain ideas. I really don't want to sound rude but clearly Gemma does know what she's on about and everyone seems to be so eager to argue and dismiss people's opinions just because they're not the same as theirs. It is a Habbo fansite after all :P. Anyway, the feedback certainly wasn't dismissed and even if Gemma's post sounded rude or whatever else I'm sure it wasn't meant to. Gemma and James are certainly not unaware of the issues, and there are clearly a lot of them which will be looked into and fingers crossed improved :)!

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Me, Gemma and James have been talking about the feedback and it certainly won't be dismissed, in fact Gemma's already looking into improvements but it can't just happen overnight, it needs time for things to improve. In regards to the site being merged we personally don't agree but if that happens it happens, at the end of the day it's up to gen management and it can't be changed by Gemma or James so if it does take place (which it probably will) we'll just have to live with it and see how things go :).

As Jess said, the two-week trial gives the DJs time to improve and in my opinion a 10-minute trial would be just as informative of a DJs skills as a 60-second clip. HxL is only a teen Habbo radio station, we don't need to give trialists a hard time and if they mess up on their trial they'll obviously be dealt with in whatever way is appropriate. It could happen, but imo it doesn't really have much of a difference to the current system.

I find it strange that all DJs/HabboxLive staff are somehow set in their ways? All we've said we're against is the merge idea and the "DJ" thing. And that's only opinion, both of those could still go ahead. A feedback thread is for discussion and you can't say that anyone's opinion is wrong or that they're a bad manager just because of an opinion they have towards certain ideas. I really don't want to sound rude but clearly Gemma does know what she's on about and everyone seems to be so eager to argue and dismiss people's opinions just because they're not the same as theirs. It is a Habbo fansite after all :P. Anyway, the feedback certainly wasn't dismissed and even if Gemma's post sounded rude or whatever else I'm sure it wasn't meant to. Gemma and James are certainly not unaware of the issues, and there are clearly a lot of them which will be looked into and fingers crossed improved :)!

Gemma's post gave us a perfect indication that she has no interest in changing things for the better. She ripped apart every single bit of our feedback.

Gemma
16-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Gemma's post gave us a perfect indication that she has no interest in changing things for the better. She ripped apart every single bit of our feedback.
I honestly do have belief in HabboxLive and I really want it to improve, but I just didn't agree with some of the feedback expressed in the thread, however it's all being discussed and we'll try to improve things as much as possible, along with other changes that will hopefully happen soon :). In regards to merging, I do disagree with it, but I'll have to live with whatever happens. I apologise if my opinion sounded rude, because that wasn't my intention at all.

FlyingJesus
Dunno about that, ripping apart suggests that her points were valid and invalidated ours. I'd say "passed over"

despect

i don't think she ripped apart the feedback - she has her opinions afterall she is manager as i said in my recent post we do appreciate feedback and obviously every bit of feedback in this thread will be taken into consideration. :)

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I honestly do have belief in HabboxLive and I really want it to improve, but I just didn't agree with some of the feedback expressed in the thread, however it's all being discussed and we'll try to improve things as much as possible, along with other changes that will hopefully happen soon :). In regards to merging, I do disagree with it, but I'll have to live with whatever happens. I apologise if my opinion sounded rude, because that wasn't my intention at all.

If you want to improve, I would seriously listen to those of us who have seen Habbox grow over the years, and fall. I am certain a merge would improve Habbox.

Dunno about that, ripping apart suggests that her points were valid and invalidated ours. I'd say "passed over"

Just my way of putting it, by ripped apart I mean all of our feedback was basically told 'that won't happen'

Hecktix
16-01-2011, 06:59 PM
If you want to improve, I would seriously listen to those of us who have seen Habbox grow over the years, and fall. I am certain a merge would improve Habbox.

Just my way of putting it, by ripped apart I mean all of our feedback was basically told 'that won't happen'

Let's remember that management doesn't stop at the department manager :P As a member of General Management I believe this thread has been nothing but useful, I think users both staff and non-staff have gotten a bit heated in the discussion and a lot of things could have been responded to better in both cases.

This has been a productive feedback thread in my eyes, whether Gems opinion matches that of this feedback or not she is still open to discussion with us and that's the sign of a good manager.

Grig
16-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I disagree when you say Gemma, dismissed your ideas fully. She is certainly taking a few into consideration speaking to her now. What makes a good manager is someone who has the values and stands by them at all times.

The problem with the merge and this is what management see, is that it will only work with an easy to use user system, which doesn't deprive HxL from many of its current features. The last time we merged was a disaster in more ways than one. There was an un-compatible user system, glitches and bugs all over the place, it made the site a haven for lag. Therefore, management is looking into what really is best- do we really want a repeat of that? No, I don't think so. I am all for a merge if people can guarantee that such bug and glitches will not repeat themselves and whether it statistically will be worth it.

The Don
16-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I think a merge would benefit habbox a lot more overall rather than remaining seperate entities. The key thing for habbox to be successful is working together and placing the benefits of both sites onto one another. I think if habboxlive.com redirected users to habbox.com That would maintain the ammount of listeners and if anything, improve it as majority of habbox users would begin listening to it. The technical aspect of it has already been said that witch V6 it would be possible, so I don't understand how anyone can have a valid argument against this movement? Afterall, habboxlive is just a part of habbox, not a seperate site.

Mrs.McCall
16-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't understand why they are so against the merge, it's not like the merge suggestions for events/comps where it will 100% change everything, the HxL merge will really, I believe, boost listeners and give them the proper Habbox experience.

,Lexiilu
16-01-2011, 09:31 PM
i'm going to post some opinions on this, please don't get offended dear :)

I quite like the layout actually and yes we could probably use a new one, especially since we've had this one for so long. Although I don't think it's awful and I think we have had worse in the past.

The term "DJ" - I think HabboxLive should abolish the term "DJ" and replace it with either a nickname or their normal name. My local radio station have a few of their DJs called Boogie, Dingo and Kristal. These are quite catchy names and I think if HabboxLive did this it would really catch on! Having a DJ called (for example) DJ Richie sounds a little childish (especially when the average listener is about 14/15 and if you want this to go up I really think the site and a few other things need to grow up with the times if you get what I'm saying) when if the DJ name was just Richie it would sound a lot better! The same goes with DJ Jammy, if this was changed to Jammy it would also, sound a lot better! I do quite like this idea and I think it would give us something fresh. Yes it is traditional to be called DJ and then whatever your DJ name is, and I personally call myself DJ LexiiLu on air and whatnot but it would probably still sound good.

The DJ Process - I think we all need to admit that some of the DJs are a little un-experienced or need a little practise. I think during the application process as well as a 60 minute clip of your djing after that stage there should be an actual 10 minute DJing show using Sam Broadcaster. It is all well and good a DJ Applicant using Sound Recorder but using Sam Broadcaster is another. Going back to the age thing, it makes HabboxLive listener age go down therefore less listeners. With all due respect, I realise Habbo has taken a lot of listeners away from Habbox but the more we can get the better! This would be nearly impossible. As stated before, we get way too many trialists to test them all for 10 minutes on the trial radio. Many other fansites do this but they don't get nearly as many applications as us. Also, this would waste valuable time on people who aren't even going to work here :P We could pick out the best from the sound clips and test them, but definitely not all of the applicants. This is also what the two weeks is for. If they're really that bad, they're not going to pass their trial. I know it would probably improve the quality but some people take a little while to get used to things and get settled and they improve over time. If we had a trial radio when I came here, I would have failed immediately. We could lose some great potential DJ's. Yes, it would help get rid of the DJ's who don't even know how to use SAM, but being it that position, I didn't know how either. It took me a LONG time. However, I wasn't necessarily an awful DJ just because I didn't know how to use SAM? Personally I think this is extremely risky.

2 80's songs
2 90's songs
3 up-to-date songs
1 club/trance song
1 rock/metal song

Now above is just an example, and could be changed to suit the department managers. Personally I think this is an awful idea. Many DJ's actually don't play all mainstream and I think that giving them requirements totally takes out the fun of getting to choose their songs. Personally, I enjoy playing songs by artists like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Ke$ha that aren't mainstream but they're still by mainstream artists, so where would those be ranked? I'm also not into trance music, I find it extremely boring and repetitive so I don't have any of it. If I don't like a specific genre of music, I'm most likely not going to play it? Most of the DJ's have very different music tastes :P You can't exactly force us to all be the same. And I know you said this would just be a guideline, etc. but I don't think that it's necessary.

In regards to the perm shows I think that there needs to be a smaller amount of them and then do them twice a week or something.

This is what I suggest:
Habbo Top 20 - With DJ Skynus : Monday 6-8pm - This could carry on as normal. alright

Dubstep Fix - With DJ Static : Wednesday 3-4am Maybe twice or three times a week a week but instead of calling Dubstep Fix, call it the Variety Show and each week the Music genre would change. The schedule for this show could be posted somewhere on the forum or on the HxL website. This show was made to appeal to people who like Dubstep. It wasn't created to be a variety show. This is why we have more than one perm show with different genres. It's only once a week, and it's always the same type of music. People that enjoy that particular type of music will be likely to tune into that show. In my opinion, changing it would be just as bad as playing the amount of variety we already do. The lovers of a certain genre of music wouldn't hear that genre again for another month or two, so what would be the point? :P There would not be anything special about it any longer - as someone said before, it would just be this DJ gets this slot at this time every week.

Friday Nights With Doctor Porky : Friday 7-8pm - I reckon this could catch on quite well! There is something like this on my local radio station, it starts at 10 on all week nights and the theme of the show is Sex, Relationships and Life. Obviously the topics could be changed because after all most of us are teenagers. The show could be called "All About Life" and just deal with peoples problems in life, like a person they can talk to without the embarrassment of doing it face to face. all good

Slumber Party - With DJs Random & Piper : Saturday 1-3am - I think this is good but have it at all times, not just GMT. EST/CST & AEST DJs could do the same but at a time to suit them and their time zone. not likely to happen for EST unless an Australian did it, since it'd be 5/6 AM for UK :P i do like the idea though

Eurovision Weekly - With DJs Gemma & Sam : Saturday 2-3pm - This show should be taken. This should could be one of the genre/show theme that could tie in with my idea at "Dubstep Fix". read above about dubstep

Scandal Sundays - With DJ LexiiLu : Sunday 9-10pm - This can stay but maybe get people on air telling their opinion or have a kind of open chat with it on msn, skype or I've seen a few of these programmes kicking around where you can have a proper discussion but it is free to join and people can voice their speech without any hassle! Coders are the best person to discuss this with. I'm not able to do 'Double DJing' aka bringing listeners on air because I don't have a soundcard and Virtual Audio Cable doesn't work on this computer :P we'd have to figure out an alternative but it is a good idea

Nonstop Rock Block - With DJ Kyora : Sunday 6-8pm - The same as Dubstep Fix and Eurovision Weekly, turn it into a show that is aired once or twice a week with a different theme to it each week or have a schedule. once again, completely disagree with this, read for Dubstep Fix

These are just a few ideas I think could change HabboxLive and would bring a lot of the old listeners back and hopefully 100 listeners wouldn't be so hard to get. This is not at all a dig or disrespectful to anyone at the department past or present, it is simple an idea. I hope this helped and maybe a few of my ideas may be put into practise.

Marky :)thanks for the feedback mark!!

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I disagree when you say Gemma, dismissed your ideas fully. She is certainly taking a few into consideration speaking to her now. What makes a good manager is someone who has the values and stands by them at all times.

The problem with the merge and this is what management see, is that it will only work with an easy to use user system, which doesn't deprive HxL from many of its current features. The last time we merged was a disaster in more ways than one. There was an un-compatible user system, glitches and bugs all over the place, it made the site a haven for lag. Therefore, management is looking into what really is best- do we really want a repeat of that? No, I don't think so. I am all for a merge if people can guarantee that such bug and glitches will not repeat themselves and whether it statistically will be worth it.

The thing is, no matter what she says behind the scenes, her post in this thread suggested she was not going to consider any of it. And as Sam said, I don't listen regularly and I am not staff. So I don't know what is talked about behind the scenes ;)

despect
16-01-2011, 09:49 PM
The thing is, no matter what she says behind the scenes, her post in this thread suggested she was not going to consider any of it. And as Sam said, I don't listen regularly and I am not staff. So I don't know what is talked about behind the scenes ;)

Gemma never once said she was not going to consider any of the points said in this feedback thread? if anything she has said that all points will be taken into consideration. If the merge of hx and hxl site happens then it happens we can't exactly change that really, i think she only disagreed with like a few of the comments so its hardly fair to say she didnt consider any of it :P.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Gemma never once said she was not going to consider any of the points said in this feedback thread? if anything she has said that all points will be taken into consideration. If the merge of hx and hxl site happens then it happens we can't exactly change that really, i think she only disagreed with like a few of the comments so its hardly fair to say she didnt consider any of it :P.

her post in this thread suggested she was not going to consider any of it

Spot the key word. From reading her post, she didn't agree with any thing she quoted?

--

Anyway, it isn't really fair to have an argument about her on here, so let's stop.

despect
16-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Spot the key word. From reading her post, she didn't agree with any thing she quoted?

--

Anyway, it isn't really fair to have an argument about her on here, so let's stop.

My intentions to my previous post was never to argue with you :). Just didnt think it was fair to say that Gemma didnt take the points into consideration she may of disagreed with a few things (which is totally her choice as its her opinion) but i know for a fact she took all the points into consideration whether she disagreed or not.

Conservative,
16-01-2011, 10:00 PM
This would be nearly impossible. As stated before, we get way too many trialists to test them all for 10 minutes on the trial radio. Many other fansites do this but they don't get nearly as many applications as us. Also, this would waste valuable time on people who aren't even going to work here :P We could pick out the best from the sound clips and test them, but definitely not all of the applicants. This is also what the two weeks is for. If they're really that bad, they're not going to pass their trial. I know it would probably improve the quality but some people take a little while to get used to things and get settled and they improve over time. If we had a trial radio when I came here, I would have failed immediately. We could lose some great potential DJ's. Yes, it would help get rid of the DJ's who don't even know how to use SAM, but being it that position, I didn't know how either. It took me a LONG time. However, I wasn't necessarily an awful DJ just because I didn't know how to use SAM? Personally I think this is extremely risky.

It's better than what we do now. I've radio managed several sites and it's the best way by far. I've done it where I just hire (for new sites) from a clip, I've done 2 week trials like HxL do currently, and I've done trial radio and the trial radio gives the best results every time.

Honestly - if you can't use SAM, you shouldn't be a DJ here. I don't mean to offend you, because you're a brilliant DJ, but we're the biggest and best fansite - or at least that's what we aim for, and therefore shouldn't be hiring complete noobs. If you can't use SAM, no matter how good your voice is, the simple fact is, go away - learn, then come back. We're not saying "no, we don't want you" and you could even say to them "come back when you can use SAM because I love your voice" or whatever.
It's not time consuming at all either. Especially as RMs generally don't DJ as much, I think they can allocate 1-2 evenings a week each (maybe weekends in the afternoons?) (James and Gem that is) to do it. Take the best 10 applicants, stick them on a trial radio for 5-10 minutes and choose the best 6-7 few for 2 week trial to see how they cope in front of 100 listeners. Then pass the best 4-5.
Not only does it make sure high quality, it also makes people WANT the job more. If you're giving it out willy nilly to anyone who has a broken voice then people don't value the job. If you make it hard to get in - like it used to be - then yes, everyone will want to work at habbox because of its high quality. And what is 10 minutes x 10 anyway? 100 minutes? Split between 2 people. 50 minutes each. Less than an hour. Are you telling me James & Gemma can't give under an hour to do that in one week? :S

Sorry for the long, drawn out reply but I feel very strong that this, if nothing else, should happen. Not only will it ensure high quality and more people aiming for the DJ spot because they fall at one or other of the hurdles, but it isn't hard, time consuming or anything, it just makes me reassured that Habbox is choosing the best possible DJs.

despect
16-01-2011, 10:08 PM
It's better than what we do now. I've radio managed several sites and it's the best way by far. I've done it where I just hire (for new sites) from a clip, I've done 2 week trials like HxL do currently, and I've done trial radio and the trial radio gives the best results every time.

Honestly - if you can't use SAM, you shouldn't be a DJ here. I don't mean to offend you, because you're a brilliant DJ, but we're the biggest and best fansite - or at least that's what we aim for, and therefore shouldn't be hiring complete noobs. If you can't use SAM, no matter how good your voice is, the simple fact is, go away - learn, then come back. We're not saying "no, we don't want you" and you could even say to them "come back when you can use SAM because I love your voice" or whatever.
It's not time consuming at all either. Especially as RMs generally don't DJ as much, I think they can allocate 1-2 evenings a week each (maybe weekends in the afternoons?) (James and Gem that is) to do it. Take the best 10 applicants, stick them on a trial radio for 5-10 minutes and choose the best 6-7 few for 2 week trial to see how they cope in front of 100 listeners. Then pass the best 4-5.
Not only does it make sure high quality, it also makes people WANT the job more. If you're giving it out willy nilly to anyone who has a broken voice then people don't value the job. If you make it hard to get in - like it used to be - then yes, everyone will want to work at habbox because of its high quality. And what is 10 minutes x 10 anyway? 100 minutes? Split between 2 people. 50 minutes each. Less than an hour. Are you telling me James & Gemma can't give under an hour to do that in one week? :S

Sorry for the long, drawn out reply but I feel very strong that this, if nothing else, should happen. Not only will it ensure high quality and more people aiming for the DJ spot because they fall at one or other of the hurdles, but it isn't hard, time consuming or anything, it just makes me reassured that Habbox is choosing the best possible DJs.

I agree with some points you've made but surely the 2 week trial is used as a learning process too? :P.

AgnesIO
16-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree with some points you've made but surely the 2 week trial is used as a learning process too? :P.

People put on a trial shouldn't need to have the two weeks to learn though - obviously they should learn something during the trial, but they should already be perfectly competent to DJ.

despect
16-01-2011, 10:16 PM
People put on a trial shouldn't need to have the two weeks to learn though - obviously they should learn something during the trial, but they should already be perfectly competent to DJ.

i know DJs from the past who have been trialists before and had no expierence and only just downloaded sam broadcaster and applied and ended up being really good DJs .

Jacob
16-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Why should they be 'perfectly competent to DJ'? The 2 week trial could be a time used for DJ's to adapt to the surroundings and make sure they know how to improve or do their shows for future (if needed). I don't see anything about being competent and not everyone is as successful as you think, sadly. ;)

,Lexiilu
17-01-2011, 03:07 AM

at 11 years old I wasn't planning on learning how to use SAM Broadcaster on my own. it would've been nearly impossible. and sure it's a pain to teach someone but at least give them a chance. they might be a good DJ and a fast learner, and they could pick up how to use it straight away -- would you really want to turn them away because they just have never used it before?

Take the best 10 applicants, stick them on a trial radio for 5-10 minutes and choose the best 6-7 few for 2 week trial to see how they cope in front of 100 listeners. Then pass the best 4-5. That's not exactly fair either. There could be more that are good than that or even more that are bad. Best ten wouldn't be as hard, but it might not be fair to those 2-3 who don't get passed just because you need to fail some. If they're all good, pass them all :P

@Milestone...

People put on a trial shouldn't need to have the two weeks to learn though - obviously they should learn something during the trial, but they should already be perfectly competent to DJ. You couldn't have possibly been more ignorant just then. The two week trial is the DJ's time to figure out what the hell they're doing. If they go from being not so great to pretty damn good in two weeks, which is DEFINITELY possible, why wouldn't you keep them around? Some people just don't have the experience, as James said, end of. They come here as newbies and end up being some of the most memorable, longest, and/or best DJ's. I personally was one of them, applying with very very very minimal experience at 11 years old when applications were still extremely difficult to get through, and I was awful when I first came here. Over time I learned how to really DJ, and now I'm here as a senior member of staff, and been here for nearly 2 and a half years? :P You can't tell someone that they need to know how to DJ as soon as they get here. You miss out on a lot of great opportunities for awesome DJ's when you do. Obviously not all of them that come in with no experience are going to be good or necessarily even stick around very long, but we can't turn them all away. It's not likely that the person is going to want to wait anyways, so they'll just apply somewhere else, get in, and end up loving it there. You'll probably say "Oh, then we didn't need them anyways because they obviously didn't want to be here bad enough," but the reality of it is that it would've been our fault if that happened since we wouldn't take the time to let them learn. Most DJ's improve loads when on their trial anyway. We don't live in a perfect world. It's going to be one in a million when you find a perfect DJ who comes in, knows how to work SAM, sounds good on air, has experience and doesn't make very many mistakes. People are bound to make mistakes, especially when they're new at something, so why be shallow and make the rules to applying and getting a trial so strict? :P

Inspiration
17-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm know I'm new to Habbox live but I've been "DJ'ing" for quite a while with roles in management on various sites. I agree with the term DJ sounding maybe childish but at the end of the day listeners call it DJ'ing and i often hear "when are you DJ'ing next" and as someone else said it is purely a habbo thing so i see no harm in being called DJ.

As for having a variety of music on your show well lets be real here for a second. If a listener aged 14-17 hears 80's music will they stay tuned in? I've noticed people tuning out when I've played 90's music. The majority of music requested on habboxlive is new music , I would love to have a variety of music on my show but i really think it will lose more listeners in my opinion.

despect
17-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm know I'm knew to Habbox live but I've been "DJ'ing" for quite a while with roles in management on various sites. I agree with the term DJ sounding maybe childish but at the end of the day listeners call it DJ'ing and i often hear "when are you DJ'ing next" and as someone else said it is purely a habbo thing so i see no harm in being called DJ.

As for having a variety of music on your show well lets be real here for a second. If a listener aged 14-17 hears 80's music will they stay tuned in? I've noticed people tuning out when I've played 90's music. The majority of music requested on habboxlive is new music , I would love to have a variety of music on my show but i really think it will lose more listeners in my opinion.

I agree with what you said here. I normally try to play something old in my shows and i've always noticed it loses listeners and +rep :)

ihatehash
17-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm reading this thread and I think to myself, yeah you can give ideas and such some are helpful but if we put them into place would you tune in? No, and im not trying to offend you but I probably wouldn't even tune in myself if I wasn't a dj. I often am getting annoyed at some of the childish things to do with HXL and it bothers me, so sometimes I try talk about whats happening in the news or sports or something, ask for peoples opinions and such, and then all I get in the shoutouts line is "DO A COMP!" We have to be honest that the younger people are more appealed and commited to tuning in often as they can win furni, dance with the dj's (who in their eyes are e-famous) and such, I don't think we will ever be able get a higher/smarter group of listeners (thats just an average of listeners, many are quite smart)

As for merging habbox and habboxlive sites, unless you improve the habbox site dramatically, I'd rage so much if you did this. The habbox.com website is frankly terrible. two of my most used websites are hxl and hxf, I haven't been on habbox for 3 weeks, why? because I dislike going on it. I find it slow, often parts of it not working causing me to refresh a couple of times, i like the simplicity of the habboxlive site. BUT I do think that there needs to be more of an incentive for a habboxlive user to join the forum, as many listeners I have spoken to have never used hxf.

Thirdly, I thought i'd just mention that I feel you are all being way to hard on gemma, you cannot compare her to the other managers such as events or comp managers as her job has a lot of work, a very different work as well, she has to look after the HXL site, the panel, the dj's behaving, senior dj's being avaliable, DJ's being avaliable, making sure people are covering events, and such. all of those things take at least 10 minutes each day, some even take around 1 hour. she has to pm DJ's, reply to PM's from fans, those wanting jobs (even when apps arn't open as there are a lot of them.) I did complain about hxl the other day to oli about the state of the dj's privately (I did not want to kick up a fuss like this thread as I felt it was unfair on gemma as she does her job amazingly and I know that) So before you compare HXL to other depts remember there are a lot more aspects to run and a lot more staff to take care of.

As for the state of the current DJ's I know a lot are **** but at HXL we have to take what we can get, and DJ's do get better. I remember when a DJ named gally79 joined habbox, she had no clue what she was doing and was still using the ol' shoutcast. she got heaps of warnings in the first couple of months but by the end of the year she was a head DJ and by far the best. DJ's do get better, I would like to see more of the DJ's practising, I think theres somewhere where you can dj on thats free, that way DJ's will improve dramatically. You may also be comparing today's DJs to the older DJ's but that cannot be done. Habbo's average user age is a lot lower now days and Ill be honest older DJ's will usually be better, as they are more mature and can often cover a broad range of topics on the radio.

I'll finish there, you may think im bias and yes I am slightly, Gemma is one of my best mates on the net and I have been on habboxlive for sometime, but I am often complaining to a lot of people about how bad some thngs are with hxl and gemma knows that, but would I change the department completely like some of these people are saying? no, never, I love habboxlive, and thats why I have stayed there for this long.

Inspiration
17-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm reading this thread and I think to myself, yeah you can give ideas and such some are helpful but if we put them into place would you tune in? No, and im not trying to offend you but I probably wouldn't even tune in myself if I wasn't a dj. I often am getting annoyed at some of the childish things to do with HXL and it bothers me, so sometimes I try talk about whats happening in the news or sports or something, ask for peoples opinions and such, and then all I get in the shoutouts line is "DO A COMP!" We have to be honest that the younger people are more appealed and commited to tuning in often as they can win furni, dance with the dj's (who in their eyes are e-famous) and such, I don't think we will ever be able get a higher/smarter group of listeners (thats just an average of listeners, many are quite smart)

As for merging habbox and habboxlive sites, unless you improve the habbox site dramatically, I'd rage so much if you did this. The habbox.com website is frankly terrible. two of my most used websites are hxl and hxf, I haven't been on habbox for 3 weeks, why? because I dislike going on it. I find it slow, often parts of it not working causing me to refresh a couple of times, i like the simplicity of the habboxlive site. BUT I do think that there needs to be more of an incentive for a habboxlive user to join the forum, as many listeners I have spoken to have never used hxf.

Thirdly, I thought i'd just mention that I feel you are all being way to hard on gemma, you cannot compare her to the other managers such as events or comp managers as her job has a lot of work, a very different work as well, she has to look after the HXL site, the panel, the dj's behaving, senior dj's being avaliable, DJ's being avaliable, making sure people are covering events, and such. all of those things take at least 10 minutes each day, some even take around 1 hour. she has to pm DJ's, reply to PM's from fans, those wanting jobs (even when apps arn't open as there are a lot of them.) I did complain about hxl the other day to oli about the state of the dj's privately (I did not want to kick up a fuss like this thread as I felt it was unfair on gemma as she does her job amazingly and I know that) So before you compare HXL to other depts remember there are a lot more aspects to run and a lot more staff to take care of.

As for the state of the current DJ's I know a lot are **** but at HXL we have to take what we can get, and DJ's do get better. I remember when a DJ named gally79 joined habbox, she had no clue what she was doing and was still using the ol' shoutcast. she got heaps of warnings in the first couple of months but by the end of the year she was a head DJ and by far the best. DJ's do get better, I would like to see more of the DJ's practising, I think theres somewhere where you can dj on thats free, that way DJ's will improve dramatically. You may also be comparing today's DJs to the older DJ's but that cannot be done. Habbo's average user age is a lot lower now days and Ill be honest older DJ's will usually be better, as they are more mature and can often cover a broad range of topics on the radio.

I'll finish there, you may think im bias and yes I am slightly, Gemma is one of my best mates on the net and I have been on habboxlive for sometime, but I am often complaining to a lot of people about how bad some thngs are with hxl and gemma knows that, but would I change the department completely like some of these people are saying? no, never, I love habboxlive, and thats why I have stayed there for this long.

Well said Mike , Gemma is doing an amazing job with habbox live but the DJ situation needs to be sorted... I'm sick of hearing complaints about other DJ's playing swears etc... I think it's maybe stupidity on the DJ's part except for an odd time where a DJ plays a swear by accident , Which then there is a set guideline to follow ie take song off and apoligize.

Another thing needed to be improved is event notice on DJ panel. They are just not posted??

scott
17-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Since we're talking about habboxlive here, what's happened to the site? The navigators changed which is silly since you have to click for the nav to drop down and the content on the homepage doesn't show until you view another page and go back to it? :S

,Lexiilu
17-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Another thing needed to be improved is event notice on DJ panel. They are just not posted??

This feature doesn't work at the moment. I've been trying to add them but they just don't show up. DJ's are going to have to take the initiative for a bit until it works again and check the threads themselves :P

Hecktix
17-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Since we're talking about habboxlive here, what's happened to the site? The navigators changed which is silly since you have to click for the nav to drop down and the content on the homepage doesn't show until you view another page and go back to it? :S

Looks like a bug can you report it via bugtracker so David can take a look pls?

Calvin
17-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I think all the DJs/HabboxLive management are against it because they think it's going on the current version lol.. they're talking about v6 so no, it won't be all slow.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!