View Full Version : Would you use a site like this?

NitromeGamer
16-01-2011, 08:39 PM
So I gather that most of us here have some form of interest in web design, and/or web development (maybe even servers, databases and all that jazz).

I've recently been donated a very interesting domain, (Not sharing the name just yet) and have a few ideas. I have a list of things that I think could be done, and then I'm open to offers from you guys as well (seeing as you are my audience basically).

Ideas so far:

Community-Based site for webmasters/designers/developers.
Users get profiles.
Users get blogs.
There will be a groups function (simmilar to facebook/vBulletin Social Groups).
Some form of awards/badges/trophy system.
Main site has featured blog posts, sorted into categories including: Latest|Hottest|Tutorials|Resources|Staff Picks

I'm not aware of anything like this being done on a public scale, for this audience specifically. Dribbble isn't really a place for developers, nor is ColourLovers. And Forrst is much more of a place where a closed community can post snippets/snapshots/etc. to each other, but there's not much of a community feel to it from what I can tell. It also doesn't give you the ability to simply post a blog, you can either post a: link|question|image|code.
In some respects I think this coule be better achieved using blog posts, tags and categories.

Initially I would like to know your thoughts on this concept, and whether you have any ideas which could be incorperated into the site?

Many Thanks,

Fiendly
21-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I would be interested.
Haven't seen a place for this yet it could also be a good place for freelancers to also show their stuff.

coolchris322
21-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Nah, too many sites offer these sorta types now-adays.

too common, not realy growing much - people stick with 1 site, tend not to leave.

Calvin
21-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I say go for it, only if you have enough funds for sure. Most websites like this I've seen they close pretty easily. Perhaps do regular competitions to get people involved, and stuff such as design of the month to win £5/£10 or something.

Good luck.

Mark
21-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I would be very interested in this sort of website, I think you should make guides on coding HTML, PHP etc and helping people on web design/development.

Eoin247
22-01-2011, 12:30 AM
I would be very interested in this sort of website, I think you should make guides on coding HTML, PHP etc and helping people on web design/development.

Agreed, the site sounds like a decent idea and i would at least initialy join to try it out.

peteyt
22-01-2011, 01:10 AM
It could be interesting. I've heard of a jingle place actually that has a system where someone does a jingle for someone they do one in return.

I'm just thinking this could turn into a way web developers could help each other out and get good feedback instead of the usual it's crap from people who don't know much on the subject anyways

redtom
22-01-2011, 01:53 AM
It's a decent idea, but its been tried and failed by many, to make it a success you need to do everything right. A perfect design, excellent features, and it will need a huge amount of advertising to gather a community needed for a site like this.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!