PDA

View Full Version : Joanna Yeates murder - the Daily Mail reaches a new pitiful low

Favourtism
18-01-2011, 07:42 PM
For some reason, a Daily Mail reporter has decided to go on a nostalgic jaunt through the final hours of murdered Bristol architect Joanna Yeates. This is surely more ridiculous than the almost-weekly articles that they still put out about Princess Diana?!

This passage pretty much sums it up:

"I head up the hill towards Clifton, the leafy part of the city. It’s quieter now, and darker. I find Tesco, and go in. I almost buy that upmarket pizza; the choice tells me Jo wanted a lovely life, something above the ordinary."

I could rant forever about the pathetic lows of this journalist who claims that someone aspires to live a higher class of life by ordering "finest range" pizza. I feel genuine sorry for the Yeates' family if they read this tripe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1347621/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Becoming-just-thumbnail-police-website.html

It's Friday night and I’m in the Ram bar on Park Street in Bristol.

This is where Joanna Yeates spent her last evening before she set off up the hill, past all the twinkly shops and bars (a Habitat, a Space NK beauty emporium; Bristol is nothing if not upwardly mobile) towards her death.

The bar is OK but ordinary. The wine list, chalked on a board, says ‘Lauren Perrier’.

I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours on earth somewhere lovelier. The food is awful (I ask for a veggie burger and it comes without the burger – and without the bun!) but the young women behind the bar are sweet with huge, wary eyes.

Alex is working her way through uni, where she is studying English. She comes from London and her parents are now terrified something is going to happen to her.

She was working in the bar on the night of December 17, when Joanna was having a drink before heading home. ‘I don’t remember her,’ she says.

‘It was so busy that night. I used to walk home but I always get a cab now.’

Lyn, with white blonde hair, who was also working here that night, says she is ‘more fearful now, I’m more nervous. It’s just so mysterious’.

I leave the bar at 8pm and retrace Joanna’s steps. Even though it’s January, the streets are packed. There are a couple of women joggers but they are with boyfriends or husbands.

I walk past the beautiful university building on my right, with Waitrose on my left. I wander the bright aisles, full of young women rushing round after work, leaving with carrier bags and expectation.

I head up the hill towards Clifton, the leafy part of the city. It’s quieter now, and darker. I find Tesco, and go in. I almost buy that upmarket pizza; the choice tells me Jo wanted a lovely life, something above the ordinary.

There is one police van on the green as I turn right into Canynge Road.

I bet Jo’s heart lifted as she reached this junction, looking forward to the feeling only a Friday night near Christmas can give you.
Last haunt: Where Miss Yeates had been drinking the night she vanished

Last haunt: Where Miss Yeates had been drinking the night she vanished

As I near her basement flat, at No 44, the road is quiet. Earlier in the day there had been an ITN news van here but it has gone now. I’m reassured to see two policemen standing vigil at her iron gate, either side of a small, discreet pile of flowers in varying degrees of decay.

I tell them I’m spooked, walking here. ‘Don’t be spooked,’ one says. ‘Residents are campaigning to get brighter street lights installed.’ So the antique, lovely ones are to disappear to be replaced by ugly ones because of something even uglier.

That afternoon I had gone to the lane where Jo’s body was found. It was horrible and windswept. I don’t know what I had expected but not this.

There was no ceremony here, no policeman, just that lovely face on a now dog-eared poster. I got the feeling the world is starting to forget Jo, that she’ll become just another thumbnail on the Avon and Somerset Police website, along with the faces of the other murder victims no one can recall.

I’d have expected the cars to slow down here to show respect but they sped past, carrying people on their way home from work. The lane is narrow. I can’t see how a car stopped here and a man struggled with a body without being beeped at and told to get out the way, as I was.

There were no messages with the flowers, just one card, still sealed in its Cellophane. The person who left it hadn’t bothered to scrawl a note.
Mystery: The apartment block where Miss Yeates had a flat

Mystery: The apartment block where Miss Yeates had a flat

Leaving Jo’s flat, I return to my car. My satnav takes me to the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

The theory is the killer took the long route from the flat to where he dumped the body to avoid the CCTV cameras. Perhaps he also wanted to avoid the 50p toll.

I don’t have 50p and try tossing 30p and a White Company button into the bucket. It doesn’t work.

There is now an angry queue behind me. Isn’t it interesting that you can snatch a young woman’s life away from her in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible, take away her future children, her future Christmases, take away everything she loves, and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not cross a bridge for only 30 pence?

Finally, a man in a taxi jumps out, and runs to me brandishing a 50p piece.

‘Not all men are monsters,’ he says, grinning. Maybe not. But one monster is all it takes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...#ixzz1BJwH8KZF

Nemo
18-01-2011, 07:43 PM
its the daily mail what were u expecting? It's hardly gonna be something intelligent

Jordy
18-01-2011, 07:47 PM
What kind of moron would want to read something so uninteresting, over-opinionated and boring (I'm not having a dig at you, I just don't see why it was written as I don't believe it'll be interesting to anyone normal).

Ajthedragon
18-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Papers do this. My paper made a joke about some guy who died falling down a drain.

Misawa
18-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Read it yesterday. Worst piece of journalism since the prior day's edition. The Daily Mail is truly the absolute worst paper going.

Ajthedragon
18-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Personally I think the Daily Mirror's take on politics makes it the worst paper.

I mean, who uses a guy dressed up as a rabbit to humiliate rival political party's.

I guess the media IS sick. :P

Inseriousity.
18-01-2011, 08:54 PM
That's horrendous. I've seen a few dodgy articles before (and not just from the Daily Mail) but that really is disgusting. Can't believe it actually got published. Obviously someone must not like the journalist and wanted to make a show of her!

-:Undertaker:-
19-01-2011, 04:33 PM
While the Mail often has shoddy journalism, it is one hundred times as better and more balanced than the Daily Mirror which would support the Labour Party even if the entire country was on fire, it is more mainstream than the poorly selling Guardian which publishes complete nonsense from a group of aristocratic wealthy liberals who tell you one thing but go and do another - and finally it tops the Sun and the Star as it actually has writing rather than pages and pages of nude pictures.

So in this crusuade against the Daily Mail (which I suspect is because I often use it in my posts) is a total whitewash when you look at the likes of the Guardian, the Daily Mirror, the Sun and the Daily Star - if you want to criticise a paper then criticise them, especially the Daily Mirror.

Looking for well founded arguments on both sides? then check out bloggers on the Telegraph, the Mail, the Guardian - looking for balanced unbiased news and interviewing? then check out RussiaToday which is far better than the biased BBC which many people think is unbiased when it is not.

GommeInc
19-01-2011, 04:47 PM
While the Mail often has shoddy journalism, it is one hundred times as better and more balanced than the Daily Mirror which would support the Labour Party even if the entire country was on fire, it is more mainstream than the poorly selling Guardian which publishes complete nonsense from a group of aristocratic wealthy liberals who tell you one thing but go and do another - and finally it tops the Sun and the Star as it actually has writing rather than pages and pages of nude pictures.

So in this crusuade against the Daily Mail (which I suspect is because I often use it in my posts) is a total whitewash when you look at the likes of the Guardian, the Daily Mirror, the Sun and the Daily Star - if you want to criticise a paper then criticise them, especially the Daily Mirror.

Looking for well founded arguments on both sides? then check out bloggers on the Telegraph, the Mail, the Guardian - looking for balanced unbiased news and interviewing? then check out RussiaToday which is far better than the biased BBC which many people think is unbiased when it is not.
Or just criticise all papers, the Daily Mail is just as guilty as any other paper. Afterall, don't handle a murderer lighter than another because their name is Bob - in other words, be harsh on all of them, they're all rediculous and you should only believe the ones that have information to back up their claims. Plus this is terrible literature, it may as well have "Once upon a time" at the beginning. Normal newspaper articles can at least be researched or hint at having some research done to publish it.

19-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Or just criticise all papers, the Daily Mail is just as guilty as any other paper. Afterall, don't handle a murderer lighter than another because their name is Bob - in other words, be harsh on all of them, they're all rediculous and you should only believe the ones that have information to back up their claims. Plus this is terrible literature, it may as well have "Once upon a time" at the beginning. Normal newspaper articles can at least be researched or hint at having some research done to publish it.

I've just criticised the Mail, the only reasons I read the Mail are I like the special columnists (Hitchens especially, LittleJohn, Phillips) and I enjoy reading the comments sections along with the fact that the Mail is not as slaveish to the Tory Party as other papers are to their own parties. Aside from that, its pretty dire with stories on Britney Spears' new extentions and what Cheryl Cole and Cher are upto - but again, compared to the others especially the Dailly Mirror - its much better quality.

Besides, as for the Mail reproducing this story; Crimewatch are at it aswell so I fail to see the problem;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348638/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Crimewatch-reconstruction-uses-Harry-Potter-fake-snow-firm.html

Favourtism
19-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I've just criticised the Mail, the only reasons I read the Mail are I like the special columnists (Hitchens especially, LittleJohn, Phillips) and I enjoy reading the comments sections along with the fact that the Mail is not as slaveish to the Tory Party as other papers are to their own parties. Aside from that, its pretty dire with stories on Britney Spears' new extentions and what Cheryl Cole and Cher are upto - but again, compared to the others especially the Dailly Mirror - its much better quality.

Besides, as for the Mail reproducing this story; Crimewatch are at it aswell so I fail to see the problem;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348638/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Crimewatch-reconstruction-uses-Harry-Potter-fake-snow-firm.html
There's a major difference; crimewatch reproduced it properly, aided by Joanne's parents and the police, in order to try and pick up vital onlookers/evidence.

This vile journalist did it for a bit of fun, concluding Jo's philisophys in life based on buying a tesco finest range pizza. Frankly, the entire article, including how she states that her killer wanted to avoid the road tax, comparing the lowness of society by having a killer loose to not being able to get through tolls with 30p and a ******* button.

Read these quotes from the article and try to defend them.

"Isn’t it interesting that you can snatch a young woman’s life away from her in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible, take away her future children, her future Christmases, take away everything she loves, and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not cross a bridge for only 30 pence?"
Isn't it frankly insulting? Also, who carries a designer button along but no more than 30p in money?

"I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours on earth somewhere lovelier. The food is awful (I ask for a veggie burger and it comes without the burger – and without the bun!) but the young women behind the bar are sweet with huge, wary eyes."
Apart from the fact she's claimed to have had a burger with no burger or bun (how the **** is it relevant?), she pities Jo's final night as it was spent in a place that didn't meet her ever so classy criteria.

And, the piece de resistance? A cheesy random fellow turns up to save her and the horror that she was apparently enduring. It would appear he was also a psychic, coming up spontaneously with his salt of the earth comment, perfectly fitting for her final provocative line.

Comment by a reader; ""I almost buy that upmarket pizza; the choice tells me Jo wanted a lovely life, something above the ordinary." Real front-line stuff here Liz. Perhaps her choice of cider from the off licence also tells you that she was a deeply religious woman, who also liked giraffes? This article is pants, even by the Mail's standards."

---------- Post added 19-01-2011 at 10:17 PM ----------

There's a major difference; crimewatch reproduced it properly, aided by Joanne's parents and the police, in order to try and pick up vital onlookers/evidence.

This vile journalist did it for a bit of fun, concluding Jo's philisophys in life based on buying a tesco finest range pizza. Frankly, the entire article, including how she states that her killer wanted to avoid the road tax, comparing the lowness of society by having a killer loose to not being able to get through tolls with 30p and a ******* button.

"Isn’t it interesting that you can snatch a young woman’s life away from her in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible, take away her future children, her future Christmases, take away everything she loves, and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not cross a bridge for only 30 pence?"
Isn't it frankly insulting? Also, who carries a designer button along but no more than 30p in money?

"I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours on earth somewhere lovelier. The food is awful (I ask for a veggie burger and it comes without the burger – and without the bun!) but the young women behind the bar are sweet with huge, wary eyes."
Apart from the fact she's claimed to have had a burger with no burger or bun (how the **** is it relevant?), she pities Jo's final night as it was spent in a place that didn't meet her ever so classy criteria.

And, the piece de resistance? A cheesy random fellow turns up to save her and the horror that she was apparently enduring. It would appear he was also a psychic, coming up spontaneously with his salt of the earth comment, perfectly fitting for her final provocative line.

Comment by a reader; ""I almost buy that upmarket pizza; the choice tells me Jo wanted a lovely life, something above the ordinary." Real front-line stuff here Liz. Perhaps her choice of cider from the off licence also tells you that she was a deeply religious woman, who also liked giraffes? This article is pants, even by the Mail's standards."

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Accidental double post merged.

ifuseekamy
20-01-2011, 01:35 AM
The killer must've been a black gay muslim working-class guy who eats value range pizzas.

MrPinkPanther
20-01-2011, 05:05 PM
The killer must've been a black gay muslim working-class guy who eats value range pizzas.

Sorry but I find that massively offensive, he was a black gay muslim working-class guy who eats premium range pizzas on the back of the taxpayer.

21-01-2011, 02:11 AM

Vile journalist for adding a description to a pizza? philisophy on life concerning a Tesco pizza? what is this nonsense? I think you'll find that all writers use descriptive language, otherwise there wouldn't be anything to write in all stories other than 'the man walked down the road' as opposed to 'the shabby man with his worn overcoat turned the corner etc'

Told you above, its adding description to what is a dreary article in the first place.

Its not relevant, its a descriptive piece lmao - I find it drivel, but it would be even worse if it came in the version you are advocating which seems to be a simple description of Jo. I hope you don't read books, you'll be criticising them for their use of descriptive language throughout their texts. Murder stories even use descriptive language, its nothing new - oh but wait its the Daily Mail doing it, so you'll have to **** it off.

And thats why I read the Mail. :P

Favourtism
21-01-2011, 11:34 PM
There's undeniably a huge difference between a novel and insensitive report on somebody's recent death. Are you honestly stating that if your mother suddenly was murdered, followed by a Daily Fail article telling you things about her based on her recent consumed products?

'She ate a bunch of finest-range imported Bananas from Sainsburys, telling me that she likes only the longest, best quality items in her mouth"
it's basically that (minus the euphamisms/connotations) which is obviously implying to the family that they didn't know her properly, namely based on some dire attempt at psychology.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!