PDA

View Full Version : To iPad or not to iPad...

-Danube-
19-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Hey,

So basically i have alot of surplus cash from work that is just doing nothing and why should i save it when interest rates are rubbish so i want to spend it on crap! (You only live once!!) Anyway i have been looking for a while at purchasing an iPad but i'm really not sure. It's one of those things i want... but don't rather need. I already have a MacBook Pro and an iPod Touch but i've got apple fever and i just simply want any product apple bring out :P

Could you possibly give me a nudge in the right direction? Pro's n Cons? Should i wait for iPad 2... when ever that is! Is it even worth buying one?

~Dan

Conservative,
19-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Get an iPhone 4. Does everything an iPad does. And you get 3G internet included in a phone contract rather than paying for it on some stupid contract for iPad.

Eoin247
19-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Buy shares in Uranium like me :P

Deak
19-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I think it depends if you really want one and the bigger screen which comes with it because as Robbie says above get an iPhone as it does exactly the same things but just has a smaller screen.

-Danube-
19-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I'd never buy an iPhone, i'm against iPhone. Silly amounts of money for something so small. Does the same as my Touch by just does calls.... iPad is like a mixture between my Touch and my Mac.

David is really selling iPad to me on Msn :P

dbgtz
19-01-2011, 11:31 PM
get a ps3 :D

in seriousness, if you just wanna buy it to show off then go for it, but if you intend to like use it loads then id say get a diff tablet, or an actual pc or something lol. or maybe take a different route and get wasted.

Recursion
19-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Wait till the iPad 2 announcement now... Although i don't see the point in a camera on such a large device.

I was skeptical, now I have my iPad I use it everyday... In fact, I'm lying in bed typing this post on it right now! (and yes, you do get used to typing on a touch screen, I've managed to get very quick at it in around 2 weeks).

I haven't used my laptop since I've had it really, there isn't much point when I can do just about everything my laptop did with one app or another.

-Danube-
19-01-2011, 11:49 PM
If iPad 2 is out by the time i get my exam results (March time) i'll probs be tempted to actually buy it. I don't see the point in the camera myself either, it just makes sense to wait a while longer for the more 'up-to-date' version, as i'm still contemplating whether to buy one or not yet!

I did look at the Galaxy Tab but the size put me off.

This all came about because i wanted an iPad for christmas and i was like so close to buying one but i wasn't sure so it was a no, as i have to be 100% before i buy someone or i end up with buyers remorse. Then tonight i was 'moaning' about all this money i have (LOL i know it sounds proper silly and selfish as there's are thousands or people struggle in these times) But i'm young, no family to support, steady part-time job which pay really well for the hours i do and my dad just went 'Why not buy that iPad you were banging on about over christmas for?' Kinda makes sense, as i obvs want to spend this money...

lol
20-01-2011, 12:16 AM
With the Mac App store... I feel like iPads lost a lot of it's usefulness.
I would recommend buying a Canon 5D mark II

HotelUser
20-01-2011, 12:23 AM
With the Mac App store... I feel like iPads lost a lot of it's usefulness.
I would recommend buying a Canon 5D mark II

For some reason I prefer to lug around my iPad instead of my 27" iMac :P

GommeInc
20-01-2011, 01:45 AM
Wait till the iPad 2 announcement now... Although i don't see the point in a camera on such a large device.

I was skeptical, now I have my iPad I use it everyday... In fact, I'm lying in bed typing this post on it right now! (and yes, you do get used to typing on a touch screen, I've managed to get very quick at it in around 2 weeks).

I haven't used my laptop since I've had it really, there isn't much point when I can do just about everything my laptop did with one app or another.
I like the "last edited" line under your post ;) Don't kid us, we all saw you mistyped some words :P

I'm not sure what to think of iPads, there are a lot of rival tablets (some with real operating systems) coming out this year but the iPad doesn't exactly lack features compared to them. I quite like the idea of the Creative Ziio 10" tablet but Creative seem to be all over the place lately, but what sells it to me is the X-Fi functionality it comes with. Tablets seem to all be a mix, I'd be surprised if there will be any interesting news this year regarding them.

I'd just wait it out if I were you, although the fact you're doubting it makes me think if you should bother. You don't have to buy one and you don't appear to need one :)

JoeyK.
20-01-2011, 03:13 AM
ITT: Mac user needs justification for overspending on another useless product they could have had way cheaper with any Microsoft OS. Enjoy paying nearly double for the pretty packaging and 'sleek' looks though. Everyone needs an oversized iPod touch!

1024x768 resolution? So amazing. I bought a laptop for less a year ago that could at least handle 1080p. It's hardly any bigger too.

1Ghz processor? I've seen better on a PC from a decade ago.

64 GB maximum hard drive space? Sure, it's flash, and you can access the information quickly (IF you had a processor worth half a damn).

And we're only going to charge you $500 or more for it.

lol
20-01-2011, 03:55 AM
For some reason I prefer to lug around my iPad instead of my 27" iMac :P

Well if you had a macbook that wouldn't be a problem :P

Alexx..
20-01-2011, 01:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Don't get an iPad, the new ones are coming out february-april and they'll be a lot better than this one. Also, you should never get a first gen apple product.

Recursion
22-01-2011, 05:08 PM
ITT: Mac user needs justification for overspending on another useless product they could have had way cheaper with any Microsoft OS. Enjoy paying nearly double for the pretty packaging and 'sleek' looks though. Everyone needs an oversized iPod touch!

1024x768 resolution? So amazing. I bought a laptop for less a year ago that could at least handle 1080p. It's hardly any bigger too.

1Ghz processor? I've seen better on a PC from a decade ago.

64 GB maximum hard drive space? Sure, it's flash, and you can access the information quickly (IF you had a processor worth half a damn).

And we're only going to charge you $500 or more for it.

Yes, because I want fantastic specs that will last for 1 hour and only 1 hour. I can tell you now, my iPad lasts at least 2 days of heavy use and doesn't hurt my shoulder from carrying it in my bag like my MacBook or even work netbook.

GommeInc
22-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes, because I want fantastic specs that will last for 1 hour and only 1 hour. I can tell you now, my iPad lasts at least 2 days of heavy use and doesn't hurt my shoulder from carrying it in my bag like my MacBook or even work netbook.
To be fair though, you'd have to be a bit of a wus if you find carrying a modern day laptop heavy, and lazy if you can't be bothered to recharge once a day :P

Recursion
22-01-2011, 05:16 PM
To be fair though, you'd have to be a bit of a wus if you find carrying a modern day laptop heavy, and lazy if you can't be bothered to recharge once a day :P

It is when you're carrying it in a messenger/shoulder bag, it's like 4 and a half pounds :(

GommeInc
22-01-2011, 05:29 PM
It is when you're carrying it in a messenger/shoulder bag, it's like 4 and a half pounds :(
I present to you this badge inscribed "I am a WUS". Wear it proudly, or attach it to your messenger bag :P

Recursion
22-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I present to you this badge inscribed "I am a WUS". Wear it proudly, or attach it to your messenger bag :P

... with x3 project books, charger, 2 textbooks etc ;)

Jam
22-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Get an eeePad.

GommeInc
22-01-2011, 06:09 PM
... with x3 project books, charger, 2 textbooks etc ;)
Just 2 textbooks? I carry my 7 textbooks (+3 supplementary reading materials), 13.3" HP laptop, charger and writing pads in my bag! I shall take that badge off you and get a bigger one made for you :P

Matthew
22-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I love my iPad! I mainly use my iPad over my computer now; I type essays on it, browse the internet on it, watch videos on it..

The only reason that I didn't wait for iPad 2 is because I don't really need the camera. I'd only just bought a camera so it seemed like a waste to wait a few months for the iPad 2.

Now that the iPad 2 is coming out soon(ish), in all honesty I think you should wait for it. (Not that there's anything wrong with the current iPad, but obviously the iPad 2 will be better)

Do you really need one?
Being biased I would say just get one regardless, I love it that much, but if you really don't need it then I would say take a look at some other devices before deciding.

Mark
22-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I'd probably say wait until the 2nd gen iPad comes out, it will have better features and it just makes sense imo

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!