PDA

View Full Version : Internet dating/Having a crush on people you talk to online

PaulB
20-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Well I've only recently started coming back on here (now and then) and sent someone I used to talk to ages a go a message, asking how she's doing and that. Then got a message from someone else who I thought was joking at first asking what I'm doing talking to his woman. :S

This made me think.. Is it possible to fancy or have a relationship with people that you know online. I used to do it when I was like 13, on Habbo back in 2003 but thought it was boring. I wouldn't dream of doing it now I think it's sad lol. What's the point in looking to have a relationship with people who live milessss away from you when you could just turn the computer off, go outside and see lots of girls/boys who live closer to you.

Is anyone currently in one? Or have you ever found yourself having a crush on someone, from the internet?

Deak
20-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm not in one and i very much doubt that i will ever get in a relationship with someone just because we talk lots and get on well via a computer.
I would rather get to know someone face-to-face who lives closer to me.

Just to say as well if people do have online relationships then its their decision really as everybody is different.

chantellehugs
20-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't see the point in internet dating, it's so much more satisfying to do things like hold someone's hand, go out for a coffee, etc in real life. And seeing as you can't do anything physical, whether that be hugging, holding hands or whatever couples do, you may as well just be really good friends with the person for all it's worth.
For me a relationship would only work if I knew the person in real life, it's just not the same typing your feelings into MSN compared to saying it to their face :)

FlyingJesus
20-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Ahaha just went on your profile to see who it was, Harry's just messing about :P and I am touched (in places ;)) that you were asking after me, yeah I'm still here forever and ever amen

To answer the question, I think you can grow to really care about someone and if they're fit probably have a little crush yeah, but wouldn't suggest that you can properly be in e-love as you do need some sort of physical aspect to make it real and there's not really a point to it as you say

buttons
20-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Well I've only recently started coming back on here (now and then) and sent someone I used to talk to ages a go a message, asking how she's doing and that. Then got a message from someone else who I thought was joking at first asking what I'm doing talking to his woman. :S
aww you 2 fighting over me, WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO.

well idk if it's possible, it's up to whoever it is to decide. everyone goes on about how 'sad' it is when lots of adults go on websites and do it. my mum has and i don't think she's sad lol she dated someone with loads of money that she only had to see every few weeks. perfect! i don't believe in falling in love with someone, not even having a 'crush' on them if you haven't physically met them, even webcam doesn't count. i would do it though, idk how i'd decide if they were worth it but i would. i hate everyone irl anyway i'm gonna find my dream man on sugardaddy.com and live happily ever after trufax. dating websites are just another opportunity imo but you have to meet someone to 'love' them k

Jacob
20-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds like my cousin to be honest, though a bit different in some aspects. He spoke to this girl who went to his school when they we're like 5 and now he's 19 and speaking to her again. They then had an online relationship for about 2 years (because they were in different countries). He then went to meet her on 'holiday' and then when we got back they lasted another 5-6 months. I always thought it was really weird to have a relationship online but for them it seemed so natural.

I know it's not the same but still lasting for so long by talking through the internet for me is amazing! Overall I still don't see the point in online relationships as you can't interact with the person in real.

Inseriousity.
20-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I think it's possible tbh. People who use dating websites are probably using them as a last resort. The world is so much bigger than their town/street etc and they might have better luck on the internet. Personally, I've always found everyone's obsession with finding someone wrong. It's not the end of the world if you remain single forever and you don't need a partner to have fun. I do think however that internet relationships can only be sustained for so long before a physical meeting is required. Internet-only relationships will never work if it's serious.

Circadia
20-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm in one (call me sad or whatever) and I've known him for two years and planning on meeting him when I'm in college / year11. Some people think it's sad but i really don't give one. If you want it to work it will, if you don't well it could go either way...

RedStratocas
20-01-2011, 06:56 PM
If you want it to work it will

yeah thats not really true. just cause you want something to happen doesnt mean it will. life has lots of unforeseen circumstances.

the problem is that online interactions are way way different than real life interactions, and when you meet someone in person they'll be way different than you think, because youve both built false personalities without realizing it. south park made a really good clip that summarizes this idea (http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s12e06-over-logging) (fast forward to 19:35)

Circadia
20-01-2011, 07:16 PM
yeah thats not really true. just cause you want something to happen doesnt mean it will. life has lots of unforeseen circumstances.

the problem is that online interactions are way way different than real life interactions, and when you meet someone in person they'll be way different than you think, because youve both built false personalities without realizing it. south park made a really good clip that summarizes this idea (http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s12e06-over-logging) (fast forward to 19:35)

This is true but it is more likely to work if you want it to, and the video on that link doesn't work for people in the UK

HotelUser
20-01-2011, 07:18 PM
When the two individuals can not meet in the end, it comes to an end.

Nicola
20-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I could never be in an online relationship where you don't see eachother at all, that would be far too hard for me. Maybe it's ok for a couple of months but then you need to snap back to reality.

I am currently in a relationship with someone I met online and it works perfectly fine. Maybe I don't get to see them as much as I like and I miss them when I don't get to see them for a couple of weeks but it is better than not being able to see them at all. I never came online thinking that I would meet someone, I have never ever thought it'd be possible for me to meet someone online, but I did. Just because someone lives miles away doesn't mean it won't work, if you feel strongly about them and they feel strongly about you then why shouldn't it?

wixard
20-01-2011, 07:25 PM
nicola whos your new bf is he better in bed than oli and did you meet him via habbo

wait a minute is it oli

Eoin247
20-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Can't imagine myself having an online relationship, i'm just too used to the regular real life ones. However i know a few people who do have online relationships and it works for them from what i see. I think that it can potentially work but really in the long term is going to be harder than real life ones/starting from a real life relationship.

To each there own i guess,

FlyingJesus
20-01-2011, 07:28 PM
When the two individuals can not meet in the end, it comes to an end.

lol meat in the end

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly, thanks.

Eoin247
20-01-2011, 07:36 PM
lol meat in the end

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly, thanks.

Oh that made me lol :P and sorry Dave but your edit made it a little funnier :)

Anyway for some people these type of relationships work, for others it doesn't. I've often heard stories of couples getting together and even marrying after first meeting on things like facebook, flickr and many forums.

Sharon
20-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm in one (call me sad or whatever) and I've known him for two years and planning on meeting him when I'm in college / year11. Some people think it's sad but i really don't give one. If you want it to work it will, if you don't well it could go either way...

isn't that like 3 years away...

good luck..xxxx

lawrawrrr
20-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong - it works for some people and not others. I have met some of my best friends online, and sort of been in an online relationship in the past, because I don't really mind not seeing someone for ages - for me, talking to someone is a hundred times better than seeing them! In the end though, I don't think a properly serious relationship can ever develop unless you see each other eventually, or it could all just be one big hoax... :/

Circadia
20-01-2011, 07:54 PM
isn't that like 3 years away...

good luck..xxxx

no i'm in year 11 at the end of next year ;) and in college the year after that :L

PaulMacC
21-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong - it works for some people and not others. I have met some of my best friends online, and sort of been in an online relationship in the past, because I don't really mind not seeing someone for ages - for me, talking to someone is a hundred times better than seeing them! In the end though, I don't think a properly serious relationship can ever develop unless you see each other eventually, or it could all just be one big hoax... :/
It works for like 1 in 100 people lol.

To be honest people need to snap out of the mindset that when they meet someone with similar hobbies, interests and that they can talk to a lot that they'd are soul mates or something. No, they're not. If that was the case it would be statistically impossible for couples to be together. I look at internet dating as kind of sad, I know some people enjoy it but I honestly couldnt go in a relationship without seeing someone 1-2 days a week at the least. I know some people who have long-distance relationships and see each other every 2-3 months but I wouldnt put myself through that, it's holding yourself back really.

lawrawrrr
21-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I'd say a little bit more than one in a hundred, and why would it be holding yourself back? At the worst, it delays moving forwards, and is that such a bad thing?

Internet dating sites are never going to interest me, people should be able to meet someone on their own, but if I meet someone through a website elsewhere, without having the intention of getting an internet boyfriend, why can that not work? It's just talking - and it's the talking which brings the feelings, I feel.

PaulMacC
21-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd say a little bit more than one in a hundred, and why would it be holding yourself back? At the worst, it delays moving forwards, and is that such a bad thing?

Internet dating sites are never going to interest me, people should be able to meet someone on their own, but if I meet someone through a website elsewhere, without having the intention of getting an internet boyfriend, why can that not work? It's just talking - and it's the talking which brings the feelings, I feel.
You're young. Go out, meet people, have sex with as many people as possible before you get a permanent partner!. Live life. Holding yourself back in a relationship that elsewhere you could get so much better isnt good.

Pyroka
21-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Been there done that, I mean it's totally possible to manage having a crush on someone off the internet & to be attracted to them, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work outside of the internet. I've done it twice, and yeah once I made a great friend that I still talk to now (and actually now goes out with one of my mates from my first Secondary school, odds of it are 1 in a million)... and the other one, well everyone knows that story.

I won't judge people who do it unless it's like intercontinental, I mean that really confuses the hell out of me especially when ya so young and tied down to someone else who's not even on the same side of the world as you. I hate internet dating sites though... They seem so seedy & desperate, I mean both times I didn't go out my way to get into a net relationship whereas that is o.o

Hey Paul speaking of having sex and living life, hows your girlfriend, have you rescued her from the clutches of her parents yet LMAO.

buttons
21-01-2011, 09:42 AM
It works for like 1 in 100 people lol.

To be honest people need to snap out of the mindset that when they meet someone with similar hobbies, interests and that they can talk to a lot that they'd are soul mates or something. No, they're not. If that was the case it would be statistically impossible for couples to be together. I look at internet dating as kind of sad, I know some people enjoy it but I honestly couldnt go in a relationship without seeing someone 1-2 days a week at the least. I know some people who have long-distance relationships and see each other every 2-3 months but I wouldnt put myself through that, it's holding yourself back really.
well i certainly don't have that mindset at all, being with someone who you have stuff in common with is great. i'd rather be with someone similar to me than different, i don't know what's so impossible about being together that way? confusedd.

You're young. Go out, meet people, have sex with as many people as possible before you get a permanent partner!. Live life. Holding yourself back in a relationship that elsewhere you could get so much better isnt good.
hey, take your own advice :O you're 17 and you have a girlfriend, why aren't you out having sex with loads of people instead? lol. & i'm pretty sure you're holding yourself back in your relationship ;) but let's not get personal. just don't get your views at all.

FlyingJesus
21-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Don't be silly Jen it's already been stated on the forum (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=677723) that once you're 17 you magically mature and become an older person duh

buttons
21-01-2011, 09:52 AM
oh i see so we should be out having sex from 13 but as soon as we turn 17 we need to be in a relationship, I GET IT (joke i don't get it i'm 18 and don't have sex with loads of people cause i'm mature)

LIVE LIFE LOL k i want to live my life by not having sex with everyone i meet, am i normal :(

lawrawrrr
21-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I'd prefer to have one permanent partner than a string of meaningless relationships or 'just sex'. I have nothing against going through a string of guys in succession, been there, done that, made me feel empty inside, and not happy.

FlyingJesus
21-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Would have thought it'd make you full up inside lololol but yeah sex is disgusting don't do it kids maybe I should e-date then I don't have to touch anyone

lawrawrrr
21-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Ahahahahha yeahhh! Right now I'm in a sort of place where I want a meaningful relationship without the physical side - I'm not the sort of person who would just **** any stranger, give me a cuddle over a grope any day!

Meanies
21-01-2011, 01:12 PM
if its purely online then no it cant work and is stupid but if theres physical interactions between the two then it can work. i'm in one now and yeah sure we had feelings for eachother while we talked online but wouldnt have said we were anything other than friends, but then after meeting its different because theres that physical side which a relationship needs. cant remember who was saying about people being different online and irl but thats not the case, for us anyway as we were ourselves online and now irl too. plus her mums a personal waiter for us so i could have a fry up and cup of tea waiting for me when i wake up if i wanted it every day, great bonus.

Nikk
21-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Er. I mean if you got read all those Safety Videos from Habbo, this isn't safe. I prefer meeting the person face to face and getting to know how it heart is.

lawrawrrr
21-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not going to sit here and offend you by talking about the safety videos, but there is a level where you pretty much KNOW who the person is - I would never agree to meet someone I've only talked to on habbo, but someone who I spend most of my time talking to on MSN or skype, including webcam? That's a pretty complicated deception for anyone - I severly doubt a paedo would go that far! However, I do have to emphasize that I AM NOT saying go and meet someone you barely know, it isn't safe. Sometimes, that's just how things turn out.

My best friend I met on the internet, and I've met her once - it actually made our relationship 100x stronger. I'd been talking to her for a year before it happened though, I would never after a few weeks or months!

Moh
21-01-2011, 03:34 PM
If you meet up irl then i dont see any problem other than some people act totally different online and offline.

PaulMacC
21-01-2011, 04:20 PM
well i certainly don't have that mindset at all, being with someone who you have stuff in common with is great. i'd rather be with someone similar to me than different, i don't know what's so impossible about being together that way? confusedd.

hey, take your own advice :O you're 17 and you have a girlfriend, why aren't you out having sex with loads of people instead? lol. & i'm pretty sure you're holding yourself back in your relationship ;) but let's not get personal. just don't get your views at all.
Yeah but I'm not like some people who believe that their first proper relationship is going to last forever lol.

Inspiration
21-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I have very strong opinions on this topic , Yes hundreds of people find their match online i guess if thats what they want to do then who are we to be against it?
But for me , I've met some amazing girls online, And yes if they lived closer then I'd be with them in a heartbeat. But obv It's not practical... Relationships need contact in order to survive and grow well in my opinion , Yes you can be close to a girl online , She can mean the world to you but online dating isn't for me... Maybe if you meet online and decide to meet in real then it would be classified as a long distance relationship and they can work but I think you have to meet up before anything serious can develop.

Sharon
21-01-2011, 05:23 PM
You can easily like someone, which is fine... but if you're going to do something about it then yes, you will need to meet.

wiktoria
21-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Well it is possible if you met them online and you actually meet up now and then. I never been in a relationship with anyone online so I don't really know what it's like (ok maybe when I was 11 I used to edate but thats not proper) I think some people online are hot but I don't fancy them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!