PDA

View Full Version : Dipping fingers in water?

Eoin247
22-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I've often seen and heard about this on tv, the internet and in real life. However i always wondered if it was actualy true or just a myth?

If you dip somebodies fingers in warm water while they sleep, do they actualy wet the bed? Most people i've asked have said yes although i don't know anbody who has actualy done this to someone.

Anybody here know the truth?

myke
22-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I've heard it actually works lol, I can see the theory behind it

Jordy
22-01-2011, 04:02 PM
If it is warm water, it will cause the person to relax more, opening up their muscles and tissues which include the bladder. If it is full, the person will pee on themselves. If not, then nothing will happen

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_when_you_dip_your_fingers_into_a_bowl _of_water_while_you're_sleeping#ixzz1BmSicKPz

Of course answers.com is wrong or inaccurate half the time so never believe it but it does sound plausible.

Edit: Just researched it further, the person has to be in REM sleep it seems. REM Sleep being a high quality, deep sleep. So don't bother trying it just after someone has just gone to sleep or dozed off otherwise it won't work and you'll probably get a slap.

Kyle
22-01-2011, 04:07 PM
gonna try it tonight

how can you keep it warm all night tho

GommeInc
22-01-2011, 05:08 PM
gonna try it tonight

how can you keep it warm all night tho
Hot water bottles huddled around it? :P

Also, Jordy, they won't just pee on themselves, they'd pee anyone in close contact with the pee'ee ;) Not a wise choice if they're staying around yours, or on a sofa you will be using in the foreseeable future.

wixard
22-01-2011, 05:25 PM
i did this ALL the time at sleepovers when i was little and nobody ever pissed themselves

Eoin247
22-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I think ( after reading the article posted and searching on google) that you have to put their hand in the water at the right time, like when they are in very deep sleep. Otherwise it won't work because it won't be warm at the right time/ their hand won't be in it at the right time.

lPinoy
22-01-2011, 07:35 PM
i remember watching this on an episode of mythbusters and i think the theory/myth was 'busted'

Dipping a sleeping person’s hand in a bowl of warm water will cause him to “wet the bed” (urinate involuntarily). - BUSTED

At the California Center for Sleep Disorders, Adam and Jamie set up a bed with a moisture-sensitive alarm. Each took a turn as a test subject, with the other ready to place the sleeper’s hand in the water once he had achieved a deep enough sleep. Jamie never reached that point, while Adam kept waking up due to his sleep apnea and ended up with his hands in an awkward position. Jamie was only able to pour the water over Adam’s hand, which soon woke him up without triggering the alarm. Crew member Matt Cordova was brought in for a third trial; five minutes after his hand was placed in the water, the alarm went off, but this was due only to water spilling out of the bowl.

the test wasn't actually 100% accurate because of the difficulties involved but you can go watch the episode on youtube (ep #136 mini myth mayhem) or something.

redtom
22-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I was about to post that, the test they did failed completely, but they did say that it maybe because they weren't in a deep enough sleep. So if this does work which I doubt, its extremely hard to do.

Eoin247
22-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I was about to post that, the test they did failed completely, but they did say that it maybe because they weren't in a deep enough sleep. So if this does work which I doubt, its extremely hard to do.

Well from after researching a few sites using google, it seems that the general concencus is that it does work, However it is hard to get it right because of a few factors.

1. Having their hand in warm water at the correct time. (They must be in a deep sleep so it is more probable in the middle of the night)

2. People may wake up.

3. People move in their sleep and thus their hands.

4. The water doesn't stay warm for very long

So it seems to be possible, but very hard to do. I suppose if a person say experimented on themselved and willingly did it (don't ask why) it might work a lot easier.

Might be interesting to see if anybody on the forum actualy successfully did it to somebody though,

Nikki
22-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Me and my friends tried it to my friend at a sleepover and it didn't work! But we always did the cream one to whoever falls asleep first, putting the squirty cream into their hand and then tickling their nose, so the cream ends up all over their face (a)

JACKTARD
24-01-2011, 03:56 PM
It must have at least a tiny bit of truth behind it - there's no smoke without fire

Eoin247
26-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Me and my friends tried it to my friend at a sleepover and it didn't work! But we always did the cream one to whoever falls asleep first, putting the squirty cream into their hand and then tickling their nose, so the cream ends up all over their face (a)

I'm using that next time i get the chance. :P

Shoe
01-02-2011, 01:09 AM
We did it before with cold water... i swear its meant to be cold water... well anyway it worked :P

Inspiration
01-02-2011, 01:50 AM
We did it before too but the person was really drunk so that might have been a major factor, Well the end result was a wet patch so it does actualy work imo. We used warm water too.

Chippiewill
03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
They did it on mythbusters. No.

RandomManJay
03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
I've never actually experimented with it before, so I sort of half believe it, but I imagine it must be a lot harder to do compared to how easy it seems on TV.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!