PDA

View Full Version : The British Queen.

Eoin247
26-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I was talking to a few people the other day when this topic came up and it's something i have wondered about before but never really asked anybody about.

So for all the British users, does having a queen really mean much to you? There are a lot of English people in my school, and when asked all of them except two were indifferent. One of the two that had an opinion said he was proud to have a queen and felt that there should always be a king or queen. The other one however said that it was pointless, served no purpose and cost a lot of money.

So what's your opinion?

Sharon
26-01-2011, 09:37 PM
No sarcasm here, but I really don't care about her at all, it's never mentioned in my life a lot :P she's just another over rated person to me

^ don't flame that.. opinons are allowed

Mathew
26-01-2011, 09:40 PM
The Queen is important in terms of bringing tourism to the country. Very few countries have a Queen so it does make us rather unique in that sense. I wouldn't say I'm "proud" to have a Queen (or maybe I am, hmm, undecided).. but I do understand the tradition, history, beliefs and benefits of a Royal Family.

JACKTARD
26-01-2011, 09:41 PM
It's one of the biggest bits of culture we have in this country.

I like the fact we have the Royal family, it makes England English if that makes any sense :l

-:Undertaker:-
26-01-2011, 09:46 PM
The British Monarchy is one of the things that is culturally signifigant to the United Kingdom, aswell as being consitutionally important. The Queen embodies the state and is a safeguard against the state becoming a political force (although that has already been seriously breached in regards to the Civil Service).

To any republicans, I simply ask; would you rather these two in Buckingham Palace as the Presidential couple?

http://www.total-banker.com/Images/Tony-and-Cherie-Blair.jpg

Apologies for making anybody sick, overcome with a reaction to badly managed fake PR-smiles.

Jordy
26-01-2011, 09:47 PM
The alternative is much worse, a President as head of state and becoming a republic, ewww. The Queen also puts more money into the economy than she takes out, thus the argument she costs a lot of money doesn't really make sense. The royal family do a heck of a lot of good for charity and public morale too.

And of course then there's the most important cultural, tourism and historical reasons. Frankly I can't imagine the UK without the royal family and I'm yet to hear any decent reason for getting rid of them.

Deak
26-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Right im going to be truthful here...
Im not really bothered who our queen is or what she does... But whenever anything needs to be done i know she or her workers will do it

Neversoft
26-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I love the fact that we have a Queen.

lawrawrrr
26-01-2011, 10:52 PM
She's just a figurehead imo, I love that we have one, but she doesn't do anything really, so I'm completely indifferent.

Inseriousity.
26-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I think it's good that we have one. They got rid of Christmas when we didn't -shudder-

GommeInc
27-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm proud to have a Royal Family. They do so much for the Commonwealth and nation, they're not a waste of money at all! :) I think a Royal Family of any sort, be it British, Danish or Emirate (I think that's the correct term, or Arabian) give the people of a nation a "common face" for us to recognise and look up to. Prime Ministers and Presidents come and go, but a Monarch is there for life and have helped shaped this nation since time immemorial. Without them, the United Kingdom would be an uninteresting place. SPeaking of which, if the Monarchy were to be chucked out, would "United Kingdom" have to become "United Britain" or would it simply be "Great Britain"?

Metric1
27-01-2011, 03:26 AM
i see liz off corrie as more of an british icon than the queen.

VelvetClover
27-01-2011, 06:35 AM
I like having a Queen and a monarchy....it's part of the British culture.

ifuseekamy
27-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I like her, she has a lot of regal presence for her role. Can't really say the same for her son unfortunately, but then they've just made a film about how her dad was spineless.

27-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm proud to have a Royal Family. They do so much for the Commonwealth and nation, they're not a waste of money at all! :) I think a Royal Family of any sort, be it British, Danish or Emirate (I think that's the correct term, or Arabian) give the people of a nation a "common face" for us to recognise and look up to. Prime Ministers and Presidents come and go, but a Monarch is there for life and have helped shaped this nation since time immemorial. Without them, the United Kingdom would be an uninteresting place. SPeaking of which, if the Monarchy were to be chucked out, would "United Kingdom" have to become "United Britain" or would it simply be "Great Britain"?

The ending of the monarchy would most likely lead to the end of the United Kingdom as nations such as Scotland would see it as their 'get-out now chance' and would most likely seize upon it. If the Kingdom was held together, it'd probably morph into something along the lines of 'The Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' but again, Northern Ireland would probably be ceaded to the Republic of Ireland and the Republics of Scotland, Wales and England would come into existence. And if it ever happens, what a sad day that will be.

But the biggest threat to the monarchy & this country comes from the continent in the glass cube shaped buildings in Brussels.

Ajthedragon
27-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I think it makes us unique, and it's traditional.

Jin
27-01-2011, 11:01 PM
if the Monarchy were to be chucked out, would "United Kingdom" have to become "United Britain" or would it simply be "Great Britain"?

Well it would have to be called "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as NI isn't part of GB.

If we chucked out the monarch then the whole of British Politics and Sports would descend into chaos. Without the monarch we wouldn't have a "heads" for our currency and therefore the most important question in the world would never have an answer "Heads or Tails?" thus in UK politics they wouldn't be able to make any decisions and in sports they wouldn't be able to decide who started first.

ANARCHY! This is why having the queen rocks!

Honesty:
28-01-2011, 12:03 AM
The Royal Family do not cost us a lot of money. Technically they cost the tax payers £47m per year, the queens salary itself being £6-7m. God knows what she uses it for. Anyway they bring the country a lot of revenue from tourism and other occasions, such as the Royal Wedding which will take place on the 29th April. There are so many souvenirs being created and it is guaranteed to boost tourism during that time.

Lets face it, get rid of the Royal Family and then what does London really have?

Madame Tussaud ... big woop
A big wheel ... lol
Parliament ... I prefer the white house

Buckingham Palace ... BINGO.

qaxzsw
31-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I like having a queen just cuz its unique.

Shame that prince harry won't be king unless his brother dies though. hes the sexier of the two.

Jordy
31-01-2011, 07:26 PM
The Royal Family do not cost us a lot of money. Technically they cost the tax payers £47m per year, the queens salary itself being £6-7m. God knows what she uses it for. Anyway they bring the country a lot of revenue from tourism and other occasions, such as the Royal Wedding which will take place on the 29th April. There are so many souvenirs being created and it is guaranteed to boost tourism during that time.

Lets face it, get rid of the Royal Family and then what does London really have?

A big wheel ... lol

Buckingham Palace ... BINGO.Whilst I somewhat agree with you wth are you on about. Buckingham Palace will still be there whether the royal family is there or not, go to Paris and you can still see all their palaces despite their monarchy going centuries ago.

London has everything you could want, I've visited it as a tourist about 15-20 times and I've not even gone to Buckingham Palace, drove past it once and that is all.

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Don't really care tbh.

She's just a figure head. We've had one for a thousand or so years so I don't see why getting rid of her would help, but it's not like she does much except help int. relations slightly...

Eoin247
03-02-2011, 11:45 PM

A big wheel ... lol

Wow, why on earth is she paid that much money? I've been to London a few times and still have to visit the palace :P

Stephen
03-02-2011, 11:54 PM
im not really bothered tbh. But it does feel better having a queen imo

04-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow, why on earth is she paid that much money? I've been to London a few times and still have to visit the palace :P

A vast majority goes on trips, keeping the palace gardens and the palaces themselves in order and of course security.

Conservative,
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM
One good thing is we can chant at the Aussies saying "God save YOUR gracious Queen, long live YOUR glorious Queen, God save YOUR Queen" when we're beating them in the Ashes...like that ever happens x]

Eoin247
04-02-2011, 12:05 AM
A vast majority goes on trips, keeping the palace gardens and the palaces themselves in order and of course security.

He said that 6-7m was her salary though? Usualy in a job you don't have to use your salary for things to do with your job. Or maybe he didn't mean to say salary.

ifuseekamy
04-02-2011, 02:14 AM
He said that 6-7m was her salary though? Usualy in a job you don't have to use your salary for things to do with your job. Or maybe he didn't mean to say salary.
It isn't her salary, it's for the civil list which is for royal staff and head of state duties. Her personal income comes from interest and the lands and estate she owns like the duchy of lancaster.

Catzsy
04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
She's just a figurehead imo, I love that we have one, but she doesn't do anything really, so I'm completely indifferent.

I think you will find the Queen works harder than any of us with her constant engagements and duties. I am in favour of our monarchy.

Banana Pancakes
04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
i'm indifferent about the monarchy, i guess it has both it's pros and cons.
our current Queen does work incredibly hard there's no doubt about that. but the people next in line for the throne? prince charles is frankly a buffoon and harry is just a party-goer.

Conservative,
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
i'm indifferent about the monarchy, i guess it has both it's pros and cons.
our current Queen does work incredibly hard there's no doubt about that. but the people next in line for the throne? prince charles is frankly a buffoon and harry is just a party-goer.

William is before Harry isn't he? The Queen does a good job, but I think Charles will, with whatever power he has...make a mess. He's just, as you said, a buffoon. But then William is after him so that's okay.

Banana Pancakes
04-02-2011, 11:42 AM
William is before Harry isn't he? The Queen does a good job, but I think Charles will, with whatever power he has...make a mess. He's just, as you said, a buffoon. But then William is after him so that's okay.

yeah William is before Harry and he should be a good King.

Chris
04-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I think it's quite nice to have a queen, makes us more unique.

Gibs960
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I really don't care about the Royal Family because they don't influence my life. People who are proud of the queen annoy me because she doesn't do anything. Be proud of Britain! Be Proud of England, Wales, Scotland.

Mathew
04-02-2011, 05:42 PM
People who are proud of the queen annoy me because she doesn't do anything. Be proud of Britain!
It's not all Cucumer Sandwiches and Afternoon Tea :P Prince Edward visited my school a couple of weeks ago and we've been told he was constantly going from place to place.

Go here: http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/Overview.aspx
Click on each Royal Family Member down the left and then select "A day in the life of..."

Quite an interesting read :)

iBlueBox
04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I really don't care about the Royal Family because they don't influence my life. People who are proud of the queen annoy me because she doesn't do anything. Be proud of Britain! Be Proud of England, Wales, Scotland.

She does a lot for charity it gives Britain its identify in the world, shes much more of a global figure then the Prime minister for Britain. It goes back a long way. With out the royal family, you could say there would be no Church of England.

Narnat,
09-02-2011, 02:28 PM
The queen is mentioned around me a lot because I am in the Sea Cadets and we do performances for her with our rifles ect but I don't really have an opinion on her if she was or wasn't there I don't think it would make much of a difference however we are few of the countries that have royals so I suppose there is both a pro and a con to the subject of the Royal Family.

Mark
09-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I think having a monarchy in the 21st century is absolutely pointless. We do not need it and wouldn't struggle without it. Although saying that she hasn't done any sneaky stunts like politicians usually do.

Eoin247
09-02-2011, 06:46 PM
With out the royal family, you could say there would be no Church of England.

Yeah King Henry VIII wouldn't have created his own church in order to have a different wife ;)

JackBuddy
10-02-2011, 08:18 PM

A big wheel ... lol

London has a lot more famous landmarks than most cities in the world.

Rashelly
11-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Let's not forget the commonwealth.

The Queen isn't just here to drink tea and have a little chat about how great Britain is... She does such an important job, not just for the UK.
I wouldn't say I'm "proud", British history doesn't exactly read like a fairy tale, but I understand the importance of such a role.

Curious though... Why the Charles hate? I find him quite admirable. Once you get past the ears, that is.

QueenOfHabbo
17-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Well I'm a Monarchist through and through... Which is partly why my username is what it is. xD

The Monarchy is incredibly important to the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth as a whole. She has devoted her whole life to the service of her people - She'll have reigned 60 years in 2012, can't wait for the Diamond Jubilee!

Many charity organisations wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for the Royal Family. They all play their equally important parts.

It's unimaginable this country turning into a Republic. I mean "The United Republic of England, Scotland and Wales?" As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Northern Ireland probably won't stay with us. Also, the legal system is in Her Majesty's name, that would need to be fully reformed. Parliament would become void, as would passports (issued also, by Her Majesty). Let's not forget the Armed Forces are also in The Queen's name.

She costs the tax payer like 70 something pence per person per year... Bargain IMO! Can you imagine the cost of turning Republic? New legal system, new government order, reform of the Armed Forces. It would be chaos, and would cost us billions (Plus a Presidency would cost a lot more to run)! That is besides the point though. The Monarchy of the United Kingdom is the most famous Monarchy in the world. It stands for what is truly British!

God Save The Queen

Jessicrawrr
17-02-2011, 08:40 PM
because our country has had a king/queen for soo many years, it wouldn't run properly without it I think.
I don't have much of an opinion on the queen, or monarchy, we don't know what we would have and what we wouldn't have without the queen.

craig1709
17-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm personally a Monarchist myself as they've got me a day off school in April, and other reasons.

What a fair amount of people don't realise is that most of the money that comes into Britain from the tourist trades is because of the Royal Family, as people such as Americans, who don't have their Royal Family, or the Chinese, who have an Emperor, which I don't know much about, but I presume it's a load different, come over to England to check out the Royal Family and Buckingham Palace.

Eoin
18-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Ftq, get this sket hung and demolish buckingham palace.

Eoin247
18-02-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm personally a Monarchist myself as they've got me a day off school in April, and other reasons.

What a fair amount of people don't realise is that most of the money that comes into Britain from the tourist trades is because of the Royal Family, as people such as Americans, who don't have their Royal Family, or the Chinese, who have an Emperor, which I don't know much about, but I presume it's a load different, come over to England to check out the Royal Family and Buckingham Palace.

China doesn't have an emperor lol and hasn't had one for many many years. It's been a communist country for a very long time at this stage.

ifuseekamy
18-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Most US Presidents are distant relatives of the Royal Family so can be seen as the extended Royal Family themselves, funny considering the basis on which America fought for independence from Britain.

Eoin247
18-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Most US Presidents are distant relatives of the Royal Family so can be seen as the extended Royal Family themselves, funny considering the basis on which America fought for independence from Britain.

Most US presidents have distant (and some near) Irish relatives. Even Barack Obama had an grand-uncle on his mothers side from Offaly. This tbh doesn't realy mean much. Also i believe the original basis for fighting for independence was being taxed without representation.

Rashelly
18-02-2011, 07:11 PM

How distant? The USA is a relatively new country, it's only a few hundred years old... It makes sense that a lot of their distant relatives are from England (although the English weren't the only people to settle in the USA).

I'm confused about your comment though, considering the current Royal family have German roots?

18-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Most US presidents have distant (and some near) Irish relatives. Even Barack Obama had an grand-uncle on his mothers side from Offaly. This tbh doesn't realy mean much. Also i believe the original basis for fighting for independence was being taxed without representation.

With anyluck we'll be chasing our independence soon then.

I must ask of all the republicans (most of whom have not posted), why would you want a politician such as Blair/Brown incharge of your country rather than have trust and faith in a system which has kept a neutral stance for many years and has given us security that most nations do not have?

ifuseekamy
18-02-2011, 08:14 PM
How distant? The USA is a relatively new country, it's only a few hundred years old... It makes sense that a lot of their distant relatives are from England (although the English weren't the only people to settle in the USA).

I'm confused about your comment though, considering the current Royal family have German roots?
Very distant, but it just relates back to the fact that nobility are pretty much all related. All the European royals and probably a few politicians will be related too (the Queen's husband, Prince of Greece/Denmark, is her second cousin for example). It's because in American society they have this notion that anyone can become president when all of them come from the same blue blooded background of aristocracy that said notion seems to want to contradict. It's the outcome of rich people keeping it "in the family" in the past.

Rashelly
18-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Very distant, but it just relates back to the fact that nobility are pretty much all related. All the European royals and probably a few politicians will be related too (the Queen's husband, Prince of Greece/Denmark, is her second cousin for example). It's because in American society they have this notion that anyone can become president when all of them come from the same blue blooded background of aristocracy that said notion seems to want to contradict. It's the outcome of rich people keeping it "in the family" in the past.

Ah, I understand.

tdi
19-02-2011, 11:46 PM
It's one of the biggest bits of culture we have in this country.

I like the fact we have the Royal family, it makes England English if that makes any sense :l

this, basically. nail, head.

Gina
20-02-2011, 05:18 PM
tbh I dont give a **** about her ;S I only know ther was a queen that got her head chopped off like in the whatever year but yeh
i dont give a **** tbh lloool

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!