dbgtz
27-01-2011, 12:40 PM
NGP is not the actual name but yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXR1MbAOGLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAq-sMLTEw

I think it's rather sexy, I hope it's out before xmas in England. :D

Oleh
27-01-2011, 01:36 PM
its a targeted release of the end of the year and is reported to have comparable power to the ps3

dbgtz
27-01-2011, 02:00 PM
its a targeted release of the end of the year and is reported to have comparable power to the ps3

Hopefully costing less than a PS3.

Oleh
27-01-2011, 02:52 PM
im guessing with the 3DS being £250, i would say around that

Johno
27-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I like it, a lot. I doubt that it will be in my price range but once it drops off a little, it will be very tempting indeed :)

Chris
27-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Looks pretty good, I might consider getting it. :D

xxMATTGxx
27-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Some key points taken from Neowin

* Quad-Core ARM Cortex 9 processor & Quad Core GPU!
* 5inch OLED touch screen display with a resolution of 960x544, take note that current PSP only has a 480x272 resolution.
* Dual analog sticks.
* 3G & WIFI capabilities.
* Front a rear cameras and will also feature the same gyroscope and accelerometer sensors currently that are in the PlayStation Move.
* Electronic compass like the ones in the iOS family.
* Games will come in a "new media", but not the current UMD media that the PlayStation Portable (excluding the Go) currently has.

Doesn't look that bad but I can see this costing a bomb for some reason, we shall wait and see!

Jam
27-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Touch and dual nubs. Brilliant.

dbgtz
27-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Some key points taken from Neowin

* Quad-Core ARM Cortex 9 processor & Quad Core GPU!
* 5inch OLED touch screen display with a resolution of 960x544, take note that current PSP only has a 480x272 resolution.
* Dual analog sticks.
* 3G & WIFI capabilities.
* Front a rear cameras and will also feature the same gyroscope and accelerometer sensors currently that are in the PlayStation Move.
* Electronic compass like the ones in the iOS family.
* Games will come in a "new media", but not the current UMD media that the PlayStation Portable (excluding the Go) currently has.

Doesn't look that bad but I can see this costing a bomb for some reason, we shall wait and see!

Sony said they will make it affordable, but affordable for them is probably up to like £400 :P

Fez
27-01-2011, 07:13 PM
It will die as it's a hardcore handheld, like the PSP1, never worked before and won't work now. 3DS and its gimmicks will crush it alongside the app store pretty much destroying everything in existence.

Stephen
27-01-2011, 07:15 PM
the back touchpad sounds well weird

Neil
27-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm a fan of my PSP, it's possibly one of the best consoles I've ever purchased, if I expect a long journey ahead I know my PSP will keep me entertained the whole way, I am very interested in upgrading since I still have the very first PSP launched and it has served me exceptionally well, as long as it's no more expensive than £250.

Chippiewill
27-01-2011, 07:52 PM
COD on NGP? That's a game changer. That's a seriously important deal considering the size of the COD community.

dbgtz
27-01-2011, 08:31 PM
It will die as it's a hardcore handheld, like the PSP1, never worked before and won't work now. 3DS and its gimmicks will crush it alongside the app store pretty much destroying everything in existence.

Except the difference is that there is dual analog sticks, which I think put a lot of people off because it was meant to be "hardcore".

And @ above COD will do nothing, its not a system seller in my eyes. The COD "community" are likely not to be gamers which buy lots of games and therefore do not see the need for a new console if they get there 1 or 2 CODs a year.

Chippiewill
28-01-2011, 05:33 PM
And @ above COD will do nothing, its not a system seller in my eyes. The COD "community" are likely not to be gamers which buy lots of games and therefore do not see the need for a new console if they get there 1 or 2 CODs a year.
I think the top 20-35% of PS3 COD players will buy NGP and the COD game because I know that some of the more 'hardcore' players really want this kind of thing on the go. Also, could you imagine school Ad-Hoc WiFi LAN parties? I think this is a very important thing. And the dual sticks are very very important for this because previous shooters on the PSP were clunky so a PSP based COD game just wasn't viable.

You have to remember that COD is a system seller and is the most important game launch of the year (Arguably, certainly for FPS), the transfer to NGP will be reduced, sure, but it'll be far more sizeable than previous attempts and could give Sony an advantage when the next-gen consoles come out. Especially if they fix some of the features they were going to do (Such as playing games on the PS3 remotely from the PSP and the other interactions between the PS3 and PSP)

Ajthedragon
28-01-2011, 05:38 PM
The 3DS will own it. I'm sorry but Nintendo rule portable consoles.

I never got a PSP having not really liked it and I won't get this either. :P

Chippiewill
28-01-2011, 05:52 PM
The 3DS will own it. I'm sorry but Nintendo rule portable consoles.
The 3DS is just a rehashed DS. The NGP is a redefining of the PSP.

I never got a PSP having not really liked it and I won't get this either. :P
PSP was terrible because they wanted to use UMD which was a TERRIBLE idea. There was no way to use them any where else. Hopefully with the NGP they'll make it with an App-Store and nothing but and hopefully they'll change their stance from selling the ability to make games on the platform to the 30% cut on each sale that Apple uses. Also a more open platform where anyone can make games would mean lots more people would make games.

Also capacitive touch owns resistant touch's ass.

Edit: You also have to remember, that these consoles are not even in competition:

NGP - Hardcore gamer
3DS - Casual gamer

Same as the Wii Vs PSBox 360. The Wii actually stole very few customers from the PS3 and Xbox.

Jam
28-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Same as the Wii Vs PSBox 360. The Wii actually stole very few customers from the PS3 and Xbox.

But sales wise it blew Jesus out the water.

GommeInc
28-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Off the water, surely?

It looks pretty neat, playing PS3 games on the PSP/NGP, assuming I read it right, unless you have to buy another version of the game for it? The main worry is that they're attempting to include social media features, which never really go anywhere and are only ever useful on phones, than gaming devices. Infact, I didn't even know there was a market for hardcore gaming - the DS does so well because it's fun and doesn't get taken seriously - it has a certain charm about it. The PSP tries to be too serious, and serious gamers tend to go for their full power consoles like the 360 and PS3 because, well, the power and the size of the screen :/

AgnesIO
28-01-2011, 07:24 PM
The first PSP that I am interested in, but it will be expensive.

Sony have said it will be less than $599 - but have announced it will be more than the 3DS at $250.

dbgtz
28-01-2011, 07:41 PM
The first PSP that I am interested in, but it will be expensive.

Sony have said it will be less than $599 - but have announced it will be more than the 3DS at $250.

I'm guessing $300 and roughly the same as the 3DS is GBP for the cheapest SKU (they said there will be several, with one with 3G which I guess will be the most expensive one).

Thomas
28-01-2011, 07:44 PM
time to get saving for me :P

Ajthedragon
28-01-2011, 08:04 PM
The 3DS is just a rehashed DS. The NGP is a redefining of the PSP.

PSP was terrible because they wanted to use UMD which was a TERRIBLE idea. There was no way to use them any where else. Hopefully with the NGP they'll make it with an App-Store and nothing but and hopefully they'll change their stance from selling the ability to make games on the platform to the 30% cut on each sale that Apple uses. Also a more open platform where anyone can make games would mean lots more people would make games.

Also capacitive touch owns resistant touch's ass.

Edit: You also have to remember, that these consoles are not even in competition:

NGP - Hardcore gamer
3DS - Casual gamer

I disagree. No portable consoles are hardcore.

dbgtz
28-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Oh also sony stating it won't be $599 is a joke on what the PS3s pricetag launched for :P

Jam
28-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Fifa, SW Battlefront, Killzone, LBP, LocoRoco, bish bash bosh, real good console. Doubt Battlefront or LocoRoco will happen thought, LR maybe on PSN.

Chippiewill
29-01-2011, 02:03 AM
You can't compare them because they're aimed at different markets, it's like comparing a BBQ to an Oven.

I disagree. No portable consoles are hardcore.
Not yet, this is the whole point.

Ajthedragon
29-01-2011, 09:25 PM
You can't compare them because they're aimed at different markets, it's like comparing a BBQ to an Oven.

Not yet, this is the whole point.

Point taken, this could work.

Fantastical
04-02-2011, 09:45 PM
There is a new games trailer that shows footage of Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, WipEout, and more here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FWGoAe8Pcg

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!