PDA

View Full Version : 5 Digit SMS Line

Casio
27-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I am looking to buy a 5 digit number where people can send requests through to us, where do I buy one from

Example: <Keyword> <Message>

coolchris322
27-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I belive you cannot get them unless you have a registered company name, a company ID and some other stuff ...

Johno
27-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I believe you can get one from here: http://www.clickatell.com/products/shortcode.php

I can't really provide much more information, having never used them or such a service.

Jin
27-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Are you willing to pay for these texts on behalf of your users OR are you going to let your users take the charge for these messages?

Secondly if you are an internet radio station the cost of implementing this would be pointless. Your users are listening to you via the internet therefore they have an internet connection and can use a form on the website in the same way as countless internet radio stations do.

I am assuming this is for totalmusic.fm

Jahova
28-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Are you willing to pay for these texts on behalf of your users OR are you going to let your users take the charge for these messages?

Secondly if you are an internet radio station the cost of implementing this would be pointless. Your users are listening to you via the internet therefore they have an internet connection and can use a form on the website in the same way as countless internet radio stations do.

Completely true. There is a premium rate for this service. What's the point?

Casio
28-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Currently we do not offer a request form. We are allowing customer 10p per text message with fees our end too, it won't bring us in much but its a feature that we want to implement if possible.

AgnesIO
28-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Currently we do not offer a request form. We are allowing customer 10p per text message with fees our end too, it won't bring us in much but its a feature that we want to implement if possible.

Why not be sensible, and have an online request form.

You are a very, very small radio station - people are not going to pay to listen.

Casio
28-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Will consider it, even if we do not get the sms line as of now, we will want in the future, so if anyone is able to help. Thanks very much

Dentafrice
29-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Look this is pointless, believe me. Anyone who is going to have access to your internet radio is GOING to have access to a browser of some sort to make a request.

Who would want to pay 10p, or whatever fee, to make a request when it could have been done much easier?

This would actually make your radio look worse WITH the feature, than without it... with a normal request form. What makes a user want to listen to your radio, when they would have to PAY to make a request, when they can listen to an equal or better radio and make a request for free?

It's pointless. This is great when you're driving down the road and listening to an actual real radio station... text in a request, that's perfectly acceptable... but an internet radio, come on, seriously?

I don't know why anyone would choose paid vs free in any cases that would relate to this. You're making yourself look like you don't have an earthly idea how to run a business, much less a radio.

Maybe you should but some more thought into this feature, as you should all features, because not only does the "sense" behind it not make sense... but the cons outweigh the pros, and I believe you know it.

It's going to be the same in the future as it is now, pointless.

Casio
29-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Look this is pointless, believe me. Anyone who is going to have access to your internet radio is GOING to have access to a browser of some sort to make a request.

Who would want to pay 10p, or whatever fee, to make a request when it could have been done much easier?

This would actually make your radio look worse WITH the feature, than without it... with a normal request form. What makes a user want to listen to your radio, when they would have to PAY to make a request, when they can listen to an equal or better radio and make a request for free?

It's pointless. This is great when you're driving down the road and listening to an actual real radio station... text in a request, that's perfectly acceptable... but an internet radio, come on, seriously?

I don't know why anyone would choose paid vs free in any cases that would relate to this. You're making yourself look like you don't have an earthly idea how to run a business, much less a radio.

Maybe you should but some more thought into this feature, as you should all features, because not only does the "sense" behind it not make sense... but the cons outweigh the pros, and I believe you know it.

It's going to be the same in the future as it is now, pointless.

Beleive it or not, I do agree with everything you have said, yes. I have spoken with the rest of the team and they have agreed to put a request form within the website. How ever, they did put up a suggestion, to use the sms line for things like competitions in the future however I disagree to this as we will not be holding that many to get this a popular feature. We aim to make this radio an FM radio within the future maybe not within a year, but we will get there. Thanks for the cunstructive reply though, +rep

Dentafrice
29-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Not a problem. I disagree also with the SMS line for competitions. If you stay static, people will be able to navigate and participate in your radio a lot better. Meaning, competition and request line are all the same, but a different category options when doing so.

Helps people to remember where to go when they want to participate in say, a competition.

Good luck on your radio and site!

- Caleb

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!