PDA

View Full Version : The Andy Carroll bid.

Describe
31-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously overpriced in my opinion:

Liverpool failed with an offer of £30 million for Carroll earlier on Monday but they increased their offer to £35 million - a figure quoted by Newcastle for the striker.

A Liverpool statement read: "Liverpool FC confirmed this afternoon that Newcastle United have accepted a club record offer for the transfer of Andy Carroll. The club have been given permission by Newcastle to discuss personal terms with the player, who will now travel to Liverpool for a medical."
This means he's the seventh most expensive player in the history of football.

Arron
31-01-2011, 06:47 PM
He has potential but he's 22... inexperienced to be playing at Liverpool. He should've saw out his contract at Newcastle for a few years. I still believe he will be a great player but I just felt that he's moved on to quick.

Describe
31-01-2011, 06:53 PM
He has potential but he's 22... inexperienced to be playing at Liverpool. He should've saw out his contract at Newcastle for a few years. I still believe he will be a great player but I just felt that he's moved on to quick.
He hasn't moved yet but he is on his way to Merseyside for a medical and to discuss personal terms.

Arron
31-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Hasn't the deal yet been finalized?

FlyingJesus
31-01-2011, 07:13 PM
To me the fact that he's 22 makes it a better buy - let's face it the guy is likely to just keep getting better. £35m is a massive amount but if the Torres sale goes through that won't be a problem, and I can't see that transfer not happening at this moment in time. More ridiculous in my view is Arsenal's purchase of Oxlade-Chamberlain from Southampton for £10m, although he is also an incredible young player

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Andy Carroll has arrived in Melwood, he's in talks and doing a medical. To me its a great buy if we get Adams and Suarez, be a perfect set up from the midfield, we just need to find some decent wingers.

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 07:31 PM
It's a good buy. Maybe slightly overpriced but I think he could become amazingly good with the right experience.

With Suarez and him up front, put Gerrard in behind it's a brilliant way to keep our attack stronger.

Jam
31-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Newcastle can get a lot with that much, definitely worth it for them.

Deak
31-01-2011, 07:37 PM
£35m for Carrol :o

I know hes a good player... but not worth that amount of money!

Thats one fantastic deal for Newcastle!

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Hopefully he will sign for us now and pass the medical! :)

Deak
31-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Hopefully he will sign for us now and pass the medical! :)

He will now that Torres fee has been agreed with Chelsea

EDIT:

BBC Sport's Dan Walker on Twitter: (http://twitter.com/#%21/danwalkerbbc) "Tottenham came close to nicking Andy Carroll off Liverpool, but the striker wanted to join Liverpool as soon as it became clear that Newcastle would sell him."

So looks like Newcastle wanted to cash in on him...

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Think this is a big move for him, he will be welcomed to Liverpool in style. ;)

Matthew
31-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Thats a lot of money :O

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think he's worth 35million (at the moment anyway).

He has great potential, but surely its a bit dangerous splashing that amount of money on him?

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Thats a lot of money :O

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think he's worth 35million (at the moment).

He has great potential, but surely its a bit dangerous splashing that amount of money on him?

Honestly, I agree. I think the owners are trying to show off a bit like "hey, look at us, we can pay ridiculous sums on a player who looks pretty good but actually hasn't proved himself" but he will hopefully grow to be an amazing player..

every time I think of this, I think of Michael Owen. Maybe because he was my fav player for years...but he seems like a sort of, younger, newer version...hopefully he'll live up to that.

Matthew
31-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I hope for liverpool's sake that this isn't robbie keane all over again! :P

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I hope for liverpool's sake that this isn't robbie keane all over again! :P

Robbie Keane....? Not sure I understand that...wasn't he Man U or Tottenham or something anyway?

Describe
31-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I honestly think it's one of these transfer deals that looks good on paper but then never works out to be as good as intended. Sure, he'll score a bag of goals but not nearly as many as he should for a price of £35M. That price is ridiculous.

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I honestly think it's one of these transfer deals that looks good on paper but then never works out to be as good as intended. Sure, he'll score a bag of goals but not nearly as many as he should for a price of £35M. That price is ridiculous.

I'm not defending it, I think it's overpriced, but to be fair, he has huge potential, he's still young, still learning, he could easily increase in value in 3-4 years time. We'll just have to wait and see, but it could be an amazing investment.

Describe
31-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm not defending it, I think it's overpriced, but to be fair, he has huge potential, he's still young, still learning, he could easily increase in value in 3-4 years time. We'll just have to wait and see, but it could be an amazing investment.
Do you think Liverpool have the time to wait for him becoming some amazing player?

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Do you think Liverpool have the time to wait for him becoming some amazing player?

Not this season, no. But then we're not going to win the title, I think everyone knows that. Dalglish and the owners and squad should be concentrating on getting a champions league spot and getting in good form for next season. He will improve rapidly at the club with Suarez up front with him I'm sure of it.

he may not become an international superstar overnight, but then who does? The teams that do well are teams that buy players early - maybe for more than people would think - but then get them to full potential - making them a brilliant player, and worth a lot more.

Matthew
31-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Robbie Keane....? Not sure I understand that...wasn't he Man U or Tottenham or something anyway?

He played for spurs, and liverpool paid 30 odd million for him

He stayed at anfield for about half a season scoring only a couple of goals

I think. Lol

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 10:54 PM
He played for spurs, and liverpool paid 30 odd million for him

He stayed at anfield for about half a season scoring only a couple of goals

I think. Lol

Oh...okay...fail. LOL.

Describe
31-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Not this season, no. But then we're not going to win the title, I think everyone knows that. Dalglish and the owners and squad should be concentrating on getting a champions league spot and getting in good form for next season. He will improve rapidly at the club with Suarez up front with him I'm sure of it.

he may not become an international superstar overnight, but then who does? The teams that do well are teams that buy players early - maybe for more than people would think - but then get them to full potential - making them a brilliant player, and worth a lot more.
I wouldn't count on him learning anything from Suarez. Language barrier, the fact that Carroll comes across as a bit of a nutter and an ignorant one at that. I really can't see that happening.

I wish Liverpool all the best though however, I'm a Manchester United fan but I've never really had a bad word to say about them.

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:00 PM
You don't have to learn things verbally..

In ski racing, they take young athletes like myself on training courses and for the first day make us just WATCH professional racers, see how they ski, and analyse their techniques so we can go and try them ourselves.

They same can be done for any sport. If you watch people who are better than you, you can see what they're doing and try it yourself, adapt it to your style etc.

And yes he has had a few scrapes of the pitch but hopefully he'll want to perform for Liverpool - after all this could be his "big chance" if you know what I mean.

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Carroll has signed a 5 and a half year contract at Liverpool, he has the number 9 shirt.

Game on?

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:03 PM
2256: DONE DEAL The first of our golden trio is done, people. Liverpool have confirmed that Andy Carroll has signed for the club from Newcastle on a five-and-a-half-year deal for a club-record fee reported to be £35m.

That's great news. :D hopefully he can recover from his injury soon...

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Hopefully he will wear this shirt with pride.

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Hopefully he will wear this shirt with pride.

Indeed, many greats have worn that shirt. It's a shame Cole took No.10 tbh.

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Hopefully Gerrard can link up with his play. :)

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Hopefully Gerrard can link up with his play. :)

Yup

Suarez just behind Carroll and Gerrard fitting in behind them.

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Not forgetting Joe cole ;)

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Joe Cole behind Gerrard would you say?

So:

------------------------------------------------------------Carroll
---------------------------------Suarez

-----------------------------------------------Gerrard

-----------Maxi-----------------Mereilles-----------------Cole --------------------Poulsen

--Johnson-------------------------------Kelly--------------------------------Skrtel

--------------------------------------------Reina

Eh I don't really know their positions very well but that looks like a pretty decent line up to me.

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Like this..

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Like this..

I woulda switched Cole & Gerrard and swapped Kuyt for Mereilles but yes :P

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Well some where along them lines! :P But it's up to Kenny! But hopefully he will pick up a good team selection and players. Looks like there will be a lot of training tomorrow!

Conservative,
31-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Well some where along them lines! :P But it's up to Kenny! But hopefully he will pick up a good team selection and players. Looks like there will be a lot of training tomorrow!

Haha yes indeed.

And Chelsea on Sunday!!!!!! But I believe somewhere it was reported part of the contract was Torres can't play in the match :P

.Shaun,,
31-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Yeah I think it's a good job that he doesn't, I think it will course a lot of riots. Imagine the fans reactions to him tho.. Yikes.

Arron
01-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Woulda been a treat if it was at Anfield and Torres scored a last minute winner. Ouch.

Deak
02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Torres can play in the match and that WILL be his debut for Chelsea

Conservative,
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Woulda been a treat if it was at Anfield and Torres scored a last minute winner. Ouch.

Torres can play in the match and that WILL be his debut for Chelsea

Must've been one of the things they were discussing in the dying minutes of the transfer window. Reports said Liverpool were trying to put it off as part of the deal but never mind.

If he scores then there will be riots. you watch. Lol.

CHA!NGANG
04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
---------------------- Reina ------------------------
Kelly - Carragher/Skrtel - Agger - Johnson
---------------- Lucas -- Miereles ----------------
---------- J. Cole - Gerrard - Suarez ----------
---------------------- Carroll -----------------------

Liverpool need to buy a good DM, and a good LB nad they'll have a good side.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!