PDA

View Full Version : Is it right to be shouted at by your boss in front of customers?

Arron
06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Is it right to be shouted at by your boss in front of customers?

This in actual fact happens quite often in the place where I work and it happens to me frequently. It really is embarrassing and intimidating but from the customers point of view it is totally unprofessional from the managers behalf. Both of my bosses have the same Management Skills (poor sets, at that) and deal with stuff exactly the same way as each other.

Do you think it's right for boss' to shout at their employees?

Conservative,
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Not in front of people no. It's poor not only because it shows that you've made a mistake, but it intimidates the customers and makes them not want to be in the shop.

If I was in a shop and the boss shouted at an employee I'd walk out.

If it was in private - maybe not a shout, but a harsh talk then I think that's okay - if you've made a mistake, you need to be told. But shoutin in front of customers is unprofessional and totally unnecessary.

Mathew
06-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Nope. I don't think employees should be shouted at full stop. No need to raise your voice when the message gets in just as well through talking :P Still, it's highly unprofessional in front of customers.

Splintus
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I personally don't think it's acceptable for a colleague to be shouted out in front of customers.

I think if it was just a one on one talk with each other, then I think that's fine. I mean everybody makes mistakes and if they make a mistake they need to be told about it but I feel if it was in front of customers then it would be highly unproffesional.

Chris
06-02-2011, 08:33 PM
It's totally unprofessional. If I was in a shop and the manager was shouting at an employee, I would probably just leave. If an employee makes a mistake then they should be told quietly and in private.

e5
06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
It's out of order to be shouted at infront of customers. It does so very unprofessional, i'd hate it. You should put in a complaint.

Arron
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Well funnily enough theres been nine staff members that have left because of the managers. I was talking to a fella today and he said that it's not right and you should stand for it! Female work-mates get upset because of it and that's why most girls leave. It's stupid.

The business is top quality, it's clean, staff and managers are nice and always are to customers etc. but one thing most customers don't see in full is how we get treated.

When the workplace is busy, the managers get stressed and when they get stressed they take it out on staff. Thus leading to staff leaving and then putting more pressure on the remaining staff.

Gibs960
06-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I personally think that if they do it in front of customers then it's quite intimidating especially to children.

But sometimes it's pretty funny but from a business point of view it's very unprofessional.

wixard
06-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Well funnily enough theres been nine staff members that have left because of the managers. I was talking to a fella today and he said that it's not right and you should stand for it! Female work-mates get upset because of it and that's why most girls leave. It's stupid.

The business is top quality, it's clean, staff and managers are nice and always are to customers etc. but one thing most customers don't see in full is how we get treated.

When the workplace is busy, the managers get stressed and when they get stressed they take it out on staff. Thus leading to staff leaving and then putting more pressure on the remaining staff.

this is exactly the same as my work and i've left
not only in front of customers but in front of new staff... if i ask a question i get abuse, if i don't ask i'll get shouted at for not consulting them first
it's ******* stupid

Mikey
06-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Shouldn't be infront of anyone to be honest, not customers or other employees. It should be between the manager and the employee. Managers should not shout at the employees because this leads to them wanting to leave so they should talk to you normally with respect rather being shouted at.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!