PDA

View Full Version : Activision Axe Guitar Hero and True Crime series

TonyBest
09-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Bad news for fans waiting for the next True Crime game titled True Crime: Hong Kong will be sad to hear that the game has been cancelled as of today. Also the Guitar Hero franchise has also been cancelled by Activision. Heres a quote i got from www.Joystiq.com

"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," Activision said in its financial statement. The statement goes on to confirm the cancellation of True Crime. "The company also will stop development on True Crime: Hong Kong. These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences."

Firehorse
09-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Well in my opinion the Guitar Hero series just turned into market milking in the end. Practically the same game for each new version with new songs which could be put up for download anyway.

Conservative,
09-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Guitar hero was good for a while, but as Stuto said, it got repetitive. Shame to see it go nonetheless.

10-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Indifferent about Guitar Hero, but kind of bummed about True Crime. I really liked the old one.

samsaBEAR
10-02-2011, 01:20 PM
After Rock Band started up, GH was dead in the water. RB bought out new features and a better setlist every time, where GH just put the same group of bands on, and never really progressed their features

Johno
10-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Not bothered in the slightest about Guitar Hero going but I remember seeing a video for the new True Crime and feeling positive, after remembering the fun I used to have on the older ones. Oh well!

TonyBest
10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I liked the old True Crime games, last one i played was True Crime: Streets of L.A. I wanted to play the latest game that was supposed to come out this year but since the cancellation i've had to cross it off my list :(. Curse you Activision!! Also had just found this piece of text from Wikipedia's page on the True Crime: Hong Kong game

The game was declared cancelled for being "just not good enough" to compete in the open world genre. Activision didn't expect it to generate enough profit and stopped development.

So basically, they stopped it just cuz they thought they would not generate profit from the game's sales

Edit: Just found out through www.made2game.com that the DJHero Series and the Tony Hawk series are also cancelled too
Source - http://www.made2game.com/industry/activision-kills-off-true-crime-guitar-hero-and-tony-hawk/

Ajthedragon
10-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I think it's a real shame to lose guitar hero, although it dug it's own grave in terms of how it never seemed to develop and just got more songs.

Jam
10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Tony Hawk just needs a reboot (of some sort). Go back to the arcade style of THPS and they're quids in, even if they go XBLA/PSN.

Matthew
10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Not fussed about GH at all, new songs can simply be put up for download; you shouldn't have to buy a whole new game to get them!

TonyBest
10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Thats the thing though, there will also be no future DLC for Guitar Hero at all, the whole thing has been cancelled

Oleh
11-02-2011, 12:13 AM
:( no more tony hawks, then again i haven't bought one past project 8.

The music game genre has been milked and needs to be evacuated.

TonyBest
11-02-2011, 03:16 PM
It was mostly due to poor sales that caused the guitar hero and Tony Hawk series to end

Johno
11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Ride/Shred killed Tony Hawk, absolutely great concept - crap at an expensive price that nobody bought. At Christmas when I was a temp, we had at least 15 of them out just trying to get rid of them (none were bought)

TonyBest
12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Found this video of what the gameplay of True Crime: Hong Kong was going to be like should it of been released

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omwskb8oqFI

Zuth
12-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Don't care at all, hate guitar hero, never heard of true crime.

samsaBEAR
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Tony Hawk just needs a reboot (of some sort). Go back to the arcade style of THPS and they're quids in, even if they go XBLA/PSN.
Yeah that would be cool if they did that, the old THPS games were the best

Neil
12-02-2011, 06:25 PM
A lot of complaints about how Guitar Hero milked the market, not one person seems to remember they've been doing the exact same thing with a certain first-person shooter for the past 4-5 years.. I think it's about time they killed guitar hero, while I enjoy rhythm games, you only really need one band based one, I just hope the next couple of CoD games are terrible, maybe they'll finally kill that as well, it's getting to be just stupid re-releasing the same game every year with a different number or "tagline".

Shame about True Crime though, I really enjoyed Streets of L.A. I was looking forward to this one as well but ah well, guess we still have GTA5 or whatever spinoff title they want to give it next.

ItsSeuss
12-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Didn't they cut the franchise, and the DJ Hero title as well?

If so, I have a friend who's gonna be pissed.

AgnesIO
12-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Never owned guitar hero, mainly as playing a real guitar is far more satifying.

Gutted about True Crime - was looking forward to the new one - being able to be the police instead of the crook was brilliant.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 - a superb game. Down hill from there tbh.

TonyBest
14-02-2011, 02:47 AM
You were a police officer in Streets of LA, dont think u were a crook at all in the true crime series

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!