PDA

View Full Version : Does playing online games (e.g Habbo) enhance your creative skills (design etc)?

Spuds
11-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Bizarre. Anyway, does playing online games such as Habbo mean you'll be more likely to be better than a non-player later on in your teen years when it comes to graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator), web design (dreamweaver) and even musically (jingle editing).

The link is here for all to see. Those who start at a young age either get bored after a year or two then drop out, those who stay will often find a fansite. Here they'll either get bored again or apply for work on the radio or sign up to the forum. If they go down the DJ route they may find themselves playing with music editing software at home in leisure time. This will of course give them more experience if they're doing this when they're 13 or 14 and stick with it (obviously advancing onto more professional websites) until they're 16/17 and starting college on a music course.

Those who go down the forum route are exposed to graphic design, website design etc. Here they could show interest and pick one up, once again at the age of 13 or 14. And just like before, if they stick with it they'll obviously be a lot more experienced when it comes to GCSE level or even A Level/college work than someone whose just picked the subject because "graphic design" looks like a fun name.

When I look around my college course and see the standard of work it's cringeworthy. The majority have picked it due to it looking fun and have the talent of a chimp. I have no problems in saying my work is to a higher standard than that produced by them and have also made the point that the course is being dumbed down for those who haven't had the experience. Another person on the course is also having the same problem. Don't ask how it came along but it led to a quiet, embarrassed, discussion about how we got started on design programmes. He admitted to playing a certain online game and even having a DJ job at a certain fansite... before being sacked. Skip a couple of years and he now has his own portfolio online and is taking in business, he's in college producing a high quality level of work and is picking up distinctions left, right and centre.

Now compare that to the fake tanned, bleached blonde hair tramp whose favourite hobby at 14 was drinking Strongbow in the park - probably still is.

The link, in my opinion, is here for everyone to see. Playing online games will expose you to skills which you could use later on in life to gain a living. Obviously you find the odd person who has picked up an interest in it from somewhere else however you've more chance of being exposes to these skills via online fansites, in my opinion. Same goes for those who use the forums etc and show no interest in the skills. Apologies for rushing this last bit, running out of time.

Josh
11-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Well, I'm not sure about my creative skill. But if it wasn't for games like Habbo, I wouldn't know as much stuff as I do now. At Habbox and Habbo, I have gained some small leadership skills, I've matured and I've done stuff that I wouldn't have done in anyother situation. For example, give feedback on things openly and freely.

GommeInc
11-02-2011, 02:14 PM
This is an interesting discussion you've come up with :)

I wouldn't say it has enhanced my creative skills, but joining forums and chatting on Habbo probably makes you more aware of social online media, particularly in a gaming environment. I remember making Habbo Alts, which I guess introduced me to graphics but I wasn't exactly new to it as I made a few (terrible) images to begin with. I guess, in a way, it introduced a new form of art - pixel art. It introduced me to Habbox, which has developed my communication skills, as well as show me what people are like and their different behaviour. I was using forums way before Habbox and Habbo, but this has a wider target audience. It also teaches you about management skills and how they work, to some degree :P

Quite difficult to come up with a reasoned answer - it's been inspirational, but not life changing.

Inseriousity.
11-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Creative skills no, I'm still as crap at art as I was before I played online games. I think there needs to be a vague interest in it before you start playing that will grow and develop as you get more exposed to it. Although I have learnt other skills: How to (try and fail) lead a team for example :P

Andy-
11-02-2011, 06:54 PM
It may be a yes for some but for me yes. I learnt how to do some stuff under the 'Graphics' when I started to do minor alts and recolours. It helped me know about marketing stratgeies if you would put it like that in Merchanting (buying and selling). It also me in general knowledge. When doing quizes etc you have to be smart or have extreme luck to win.

But overall I think it does help.

ProudFall
11-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't class Habbo as an online game, more of a chatroom with advanced gaming connections, such as ability to buy pets, decorate rooms, more of a social site. On the other hand, WOW (World of Warcraft) and Runescape are more known as games (even if they do have chat-abilities).

I don't think playing an online game will improve your design skills, no.

Spuds
11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Design skills being a loose term due to the title restrictions. In general, the technical side of things. As stated, you can branch out to music editing right across to website coding or even programming. It's that stage where you're exposed to the forum where it takes it's affect. Could be argued it'd be the same whatever you're exposed to, be it a forum or a book however what with the forum being internet based it could be also be argued that it's more interesting for someone younger than a book.

orientalframe?
11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd say it's improved my designing skills when I was in Year 7/8 for Graphics, and surprisingly Runescape helped at around that age for knowledge about different types of trees. Though I suppose when you get a lot older it doesn't really make a difference.

Oleh
11-02-2011, 08:56 PM
It's WoW which helped me with money managing.

Also its proven that games such as FPS increase your hand eye coordination

Zuth
12-02-2011, 08:41 AM
I've learned alot of things from habbo and Habbox, stuff what I would of Proberly never found out about.

Homosexual
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
From Habbo; I've learned that people don't like big change, aesthetically or otherwise. Look at the arguments about old vs new Habbo, etcetera. Also, recolours aren't good enough.

Conservative,
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Creatively, I haven't been helped by any games. I tried to do an alt once and got bored after about 5 minutes. I'm not an artistic person.

However I am much better at music editing than my friends and I think that stems from habbo and DJing. If I hadn't joined habbo I wouldn't be as interested in music as I am, nor would I have tried making my own jingles etc.

I've learnt management and leadership skills, as well as how to deal with certain situations etc. and also been able to develop my political ideas on fansites. So I guess you could say games like habbo do help, but I think habbo would be one of the only ones. When I played RS I never joined a forum - I didn't need to really. If I had stuck with RS I wouldn't have DJed or anything. So yeah..

Alex3213
13-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Creative skills have never been my forte, never will be- so obviously my message here is that creative skills have not helped. However, I feel that Habbo & Habbox have helped me a fair bit, for example my writing has become more sophisticated and structured, this leads on to explaining your ideas and making sure they are clear... hmm, maybe that's still something I need to work on! :P I've been able to give feedback (maybe I'm still Mr. Pessimist but y'know) and try and lead a team, the "try" is still not there 'cos I'm not sure if I've succeeded yet. :P

Fiendly
13-02-2011, 09:55 AM
It depends.
If you're into that stuff then no ~ But if you're playing games and you want to do fansites for the websites then yes!

If you're willing to learn it then it can.
For instance, I started web development (HTML+CSS) back in 2006. This improves with time I guess and it depends on your involvement.

Great topic discussion!

Special-1k
16-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I agree with this. When I DJed for the site I actually learned a lot.

Gibs960
16-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I've learned a lot of stuff from Habbox and Habbo a bit, but as to the person who said they've matured on Habbox but I don't think I have because I try and "mature" and you just get slapped back down so you feel like a 5 year old.

dbgtz
17-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I've learned a lot of stuff from Habbox and Habbo a bit, but as to the person who said they've matured on Habbox but I don't think I have because I try and "mature" and you just get slapped back down so you feel like a 5 year old.

You can't force maturity.

Anyway I think some can. Habbo used help with creativity I think when all the furni wasn't literally handed to you on a plate, and some competitions used to require skills of some sorts whether it is graphics, creative writing or the ability to do proper challenging quests. Nowadays it's not because it's all there and the competitions are weak.

Runescape taught me a little on money management and the ability to trade if you will.

In the end it depends on the games and the controls. I.E. I think hilly referenced that FPS help with hand eye co ordination, I imagine that's more with mouses as it takes a much steadier hand.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!