PDA

View Full Version : [Networking] I don't get it..

Moh
13-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Describe the types of networks available and how they relate to different standards and protocols

I understand the networks available and I understand the protocols but how exactly do you explain how they relate? :S

And yeah, it's an assignment from the national :P

Flisker
13-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Wow, I remember doing that assignment on my first year of BTEC National Diploma.

Is that Communications Technology? also what assignment? Is it the one where you have to explain the OSI 7 layer model?

Moh
13-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow, I remember doing that assignment on my first year of BTEC National Diploma.

Is that Communications Technology? also what assignment? Is it the one where you have to explain the OSI 7 layer model?
Yeah that's the one :)

We was doing data analysis & design, until the college turned around and told us that we wasn't been assessed for that so now we've gotta do 3 assignments with only 4 hours teaching :l

Flisker
13-02-2011, 02:48 PM
P3 – Describe the TCP/IP protocol suite and one modern wireless protocol, explain why protocols are important.

I have that question on assignment 3. Not sure if its the same thing.

Moh
13-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Only on the first haha.

What the hell is "networking standards" too? Sounds like a dumb way of saying protocols :l

Stephen!
13-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Networking standards is the IEEE stuff.

Moh
13-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Networking standards is the IEEE stuff.
Ohhh, that makes sense now haha

Just the relating it with a topology doesn't :(

Recursion
13-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Would you not give a few examples of what services or protocols are relevent/irrelevant for certain topologies? To me that would be somewhat relating them.

Moh
13-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Would you not give a few examples of what services or protocols are relevent/irrelevant for certain topologies? To me that would be somewhat relating them.

It just seams a bit pointless. The standards can be used for all of them really, they can all use Ethernet, if the right hardware is installed they can use wireless, bluetooth etc.. All pretty much use TCP/IP and then as for UDP, DNS, DHCP etc.. are used for the internet, which doesn't exactly relate to the topologies ;S

I can easily describe topologies, standards and protocols.. but how they relate.. i have no idea :(

Recursion
13-02-2011, 05:32 PM
It just seams a bit pointless. The standards can be used for all of them really, they can all use Ethernet, if the right hardware is installed they can use wireless, bluetooth etc.. All pretty much use TCP/IP and then as for UDP, DNS, DHCP etc.. are used for the internet, which doesn't exactly relate to the topologies ;S

I can easily describe topologies, standards and protocols.. but how they relate.. i have no idea :(

What about using a star topology as an example of a WAN and then applying standards for things like Fibre connections?

Moh
13-02-2011, 05:40 PM
What about using a star topology as an example of a WAN and then applying standards for things like Fibre connections?
Already done the standards.. kinda :P

Just the protocols I don't know how to explain :(

Another thing I don't understand on the assignment is:

Describe, using examples, why different network standards and protocols are necessary
It's too blunt, does it mean why we need different ones in general or why different (asin each/specific) are?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!