PDA

View Full Version : Games Tester / Beta Tester [+REP]

Andy-
17-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I was wondering how do you get into the field of Games Testing Beta Testing. I havn't chosing media in my GCSE options, as it is a job I would like to have. But not getting my hopes up, and goign towards the Buisness area.

How would I go about trying to get a job?/ Getting work experience in the field

ben
17-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Passion for games
Excellent team work skills
Basic knowledge in web technologies (HTML, XML)
Basic hardware knowledge
Attention to detail

Have knowledge of the kind of games the company produce.
I would take analytical courses when you get to college and then make a CV if you don't want to go to university after college.

Jam
17-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Don't base your GCSE options on wanting to be a games tester. Its not a job you should be aiming for and more of a fall back, albeit a entertaining one. Its quite low paying and something like retail (working in a shop) pays similar if not more. Try and go for something else in gaming (coding, graphic designer, etc.) if that is an area you'd like to be in.

Andy-
17-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks I'm not basing my GCSE on games designing i went for Geography and IT. The Games Tester will be a job for entertainment like part time if that can happen.

.Shaun,,
17-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Maybe if you looked into the gaming industry and showed how passion it you are about gaming, creativity, hard work and a good team skills/building you are, they could give you a shot at having a go. :) If you don't succeed at first there's always next time. :)

Andy-
17-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks but i dont really what to invest that much time into it.

.Shaun,,
17-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks but i dont really what to invest that much time into it.

Maybe if you just did it for a trial? See if you like it or not, there's no wrong in just trying. :)

Misawa
17-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Games testers have a meager wage and it's very hard to get into given how appealing it is to people.

dbgtz
17-02-2011, 06:13 PM
As far as I'm aware, game testing isn't easy because you have to write reports so I'm guessing your english has to be good which doesn't look it based on what you wrote.

Nemo
17-02-2011, 06:34 PM
As far as I'm aware, game testing isn't easy because you have to write reports so I'm guessing your english has to be good which doesn't look it based on what you wrote.
This ^ and the fact you cba to put any effort in is well....yeah lol.

Misawa
17-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes, it certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park. It would involve playing to every nook and cranny of a video game to point out the smallest of bugs and glitches.

Blue
17-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes, it certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park. It would involve playing to every nook and cranny of a video game to point out the smallest of bugs and glitches.
Indeed, my form tutor used to do this. He had one corner of a track and had to keep on crashing. That was all he did

Andy-
17-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks used lot i cba to invest much time into it I thought it was a simple procedure. Thanks anyways.

Oleh
17-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I was thinking about becoming a games tester then i found out most of it is on site and it isn't possible for me.

Then i thought about becoming a games reviewer and found out you need some relation to journalism (i suck at English in terms of writing all that stuff they want you to do) so unless i find a small time review website looking, i won't get anywhere.

I would suggest writing to a business (jagex, rockstar leeds or lionhead) enquiring about offsite QA testing or something along the lines.

Conservative,
17-02-2011, 09:22 PM
As said - it's hard to get into, poor pay and a lot of time & effort.

It SOUNDS like fun, but the only fun bit is the testing. Then comes the lengthy reports, and comparisons and reviews etc.

Honestly - have it as a fall back if another career doesn't work out. However, you can do it as a fun work experience - start googling games designers (eg; Rockstar, Activision etc.) and see if they offer work experience.

Chippiewill
19-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Games testers have a meager wage and it's very hard to get into given how appealing it is to people.
This.

I agree, from what I've heard you don't just see how fun a game is, you have to play the same levels hundreds (If not thousands) of times looking for the tiniest of bugs or glitches, you probably spend half your time with FPS jumping against walls trying to get out of the map.

Niall!
20-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Getting into the games industry whether it be tester/reviewer/developer is damn near impossible.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!