PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft bans free software from Windows Phone Marketplace

Stephen!
17-02-2011, 05:18 PM
A ban on GPL3 and similarly compatible, copyleft licensed software has been found in the terms of use for Microsoft's Windows Phone Marketplace. The terms, noted in a posting on open source evangelist Jan Wildeboer's blog, were originally noticed in a discussion among Nokia developers who were evaluating the issues involved with Nokia's switch to WP7; both Nokia's Symbian and MeeGo platforms have been free and open source friendly.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Microsoft-bans-free-software-from-Windows-Phone-Marketplace-1191524.html

They just killed themselves.

Jam
17-02-2011, 05:28 PM
WP7 isn't exactly a high priority on the list of indie and low budget developers so I doubt this affects anything.

Jack!
17-02-2011, 05:31 PM
WP7 isn't exactly a high priority on the list of indie and low budget developers so I doubt this affects anything.

There is A lot of people who wanted to develop things for this, I agree. They have shot them self in the foot

Jam
17-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Android hardly gets a look in never mind Windows Phone in comparison to iOS. Just like Zune is totally unknown (to the majority) but is a much better service than iTunes. Apple control the market and control people looking to get a slice of that popularity pie.

HotelUser
17-02-2011, 05:39 PM
How does this prohibit the distribution of free software again?

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't really understand most of what they are saying, what does this exactly mean?

Edit: Looking at what I read, it's basically like the same restrictions on the App Store for iOS Devices. Also, haven't these rules or whatever been in place for WP7 from near enough the start?

Recursion
17-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Android hardly gets a look in never mind Windows Phone in comparison to iOS. Just like Zune is totally unknown (to the majority) but is a much better service than iTunes. Apple control the market and control people looking to get a slice of that popularity pie.

It's outselling iOS, your point is invalid.

Jam
17-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Apps & developers not handsets.

Recursion
17-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Apps & developers not handsets.

Android was released (so not many handsets at launch) after the iOS App Store (which already had many phones in the wild). Again, point invalid.

Also where are your developer and app statistics anyway? Android apps don't have to be distributed through the Market, there are at least 3 other well known App Stores for Android.

Jam
17-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Name some popular apps that debuted on Android.

HotelUser
17-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Android has a large developer community and over a quarter million applications.

Jam
17-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Android has a large developer community and over a quarter million applications.

Please answer the question then.

HotelUser
17-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Please answer the question then.

Hi

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android+market

Much love

Jam
17-02-2011, 06:25 PM
So your avoiding the question and have gave a link to go find them myself in a 'needle in a haystack' situation.

HotelUser
17-02-2011, 06:29 PM
So your avoiding the question and have gave a link to go find them myself in a 'needle in a haystack' situation.

No, I'm suggesting that I don't waste time answering questions when the answer is right in your face.

If you had googled Android Market followed by clicking the first link on google followed by clicking Top free:

http://davzy.com/screenshots/Screen_shot_2011-02-17_at_2.26.48_PM-20110217-142714.png

There is also a corresponding link for paid applications.

And before you question the legitimacy of the popularity of these applications their popularity is of a magnitude comparable to that of applications on the Apple App Store respectively.

Jam
17-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Gmail, Google Maps, Angry Birds, Facebook, Google Earth did not debut on Android.

Androidify is a throwaway app, Flash is an installer, Solitaire is a clone, Advanced Task Killer has no use on iOS, Jewels is a Bejewled clone, all the talking apps are throwaway.

So out of those 12 apps pictured, nearly half didn't meet the criteria of the query and five were clones or throwaway. The two that may provide some longlasting use, one has no place on iOS.

Google Star Maps. Name me another now please.

HotelUser
17-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Gmail, Google Maps, Angry Birds, Facebook, Google Earth did not debut on Android.

Androidify is a throwaway app, Flash is an installer, Solitaire is a clone, Advanced Task Killer has no use on iOS, Jewels is a Bejewled clone, all the talking apps are throwaway.

So out of those 12 apps pictured, nearly half didn't meet the criteria of the query and five were clones or throwaway. The two that may provide some longlasting use, one has no place on iOS.

Do you not understand how this website works:

https://market.android.com/

It contains all sorts of magic stuff that lets you see a lot of applications which were firsts on Android.

Click. Browse. Learn.

Oh and I would consider Flash a first for Android because people tend to push pro Android because it has flash and iOS does not.

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Why did you even ask this question in the first place? Most applications at this moment in time either come out on iPhone first and then they would nearly all the time produce one for the Android operating system. I don't see what the problem is, unless you hate them creating the iPhone app first.

Jam
17-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Its not an application though, its an installer.

HotelUser
17-02-2011, 06:46 PM

It's an multimedia and developing platform not an installer.

AgnesIO
17-02-2011, 06:51 PM

You mention that GOOGLEs things came on iOS first - that is only because Android came out later..

Funny thing is, my friends with iPhones always go on 'oh yeah, I will get that up on google maps - that's why iPhones are so good ;)'

Forgetting the fact that some of the most used apps on iOS are made by the creators of Android. Google.

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Why have you ignored my post?

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2011, 11:27 PM
After reading another website I've came across this in regards of the so called "Microsoft bans free software from WP"

Relax - Microsoft has not banned open source from Marketplace

This recent Slashdot article is sure to cause some hubbub. As usual (when it comes to anything Microsoft), it's completely inaccurate. The only licenses that have been banned are GPLv3 and its derivatives and equivalents, including LGPLv3, and Affero GPLv3. Why these particular licenses, and why specifically version 3?

Because version 3 of the GPL family of licenses includes what has been dubbed the "anti-Tivoization" clause. Tivoization, from the name TiVo, is what that company did to its hardware in order to prevent unauthorized firmware modifications. In essence, they released the complete source code to the firmware that runs on TiVo boxes, but compiling such source code does not yield binaries that can run on the TiVo. That is because the authorized, official binary code is modified by TiVo to include a digital signature that must be accepted by the hardware before said code is allowed to run. GPLv3 includes a clause that prohibits this behavior.

Microsoft must therefore ban licenses with an "anti-Tivoization" clause because both the Xbox and Windows Phone 7 hardware perform "Tivoization". They only accept code that has been signed by Microsoft (unless the hardware is developer unlocked).

So don't fret. All weak copyleft licenses and very liberal licenses such as MIT/X11 are perfectly fine for use in Xbox and WP7 code.

Source: http://www.arktronic.com/cms/blog-entries/2011-02-17/relax-microsoft-has-not-banned-open-source-from-marketplace

HotelUser
19-02-2011, 03:29 PM
After reading another website I've came across this in regards of the so called "Microsoft bans free software from WP"

Source: http://www.arktronic.com/cms/blog-entries/2011-02-17/relax-microsoft-has-not-banned-open-source-from-marketplace

I'm not surprised.

triston220
19-02-2011, 06:03 PM
How does this ban free software?

Recursion
19-02-2011, 06:30 PM
How does this ban free software?

The title is misleading. They're just banning software from their marketplace that is licensed under GPLv3 and uses the anti-tivoization clause.

triston220
19-02-2011, 11:26 PM
The title is misleading. They're just banning software from their marketplace that is licensed under GPLv3 and uses the anti-tivoization clause.

Right, thanks for clearing that up.

StefanWolves
01-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I remember when I got warned for doing this. Oh how this forum has one rule for one group of people and then other rules for a different group of people.
Hi

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android+market

Much love

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!