PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else?

The Don
20-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I feel out of my friends, I'm the only one who appreciates older music, such as from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I really like listening to supertramp, queen, the beatles and such. Don't get me wrong, I love new stuff, new music, but I swear I'm the only person my age I know who listens to bon jovi and stuff and people think I'm weird for liking this sort of stuff, but it's really good music. anyone else love older music aswell as the new stuff?

dirrty
21-02-2011, 12:14 AM
i do like pre-1980s motown, i.e marvin gaye, the temptations, smoky robinson, teddy pendergrass, the marvelettes, the supremes, then that stems into the jackson 5, (early) michael jackson, stevie wonder etc.

Judas
21-02-2011, 12:23 AM
yeah i do :) i love a lot of the 80s electropop movement, specifically im a big fan of elvis, david bowie, gary numan, guns n' roses, MJ, nirvana (not sure if you'd consider them 'old'), and i'm also into a lot of old hip hop music too... i find it hard to understand how people can't at least appreciate any music at all from previous decades, but yeah you're not alone :)

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't really call Queen and Bon Jovi 'proper' 80's or 90's music but I get what you are saying.

Judas
21-02-2011, 12:41 AM
why not ?

The Don
21-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't really call Queen and Bon Jovi 'proper' 80's or 90's music but I get what you are saying.

Erm sorry? you wouldn't call queen proper 80's music, have you missed what happened at live aid? LOL

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 12:43 AM
why not ?
I mean it's not really representative of that era, if you get what I'm seeing. Bon Jovi and Queen to an extent are and always have been cheesy.

The Don
21-02-2011, 12:44 AM
I mean it's not really representative of that era, if you get what I'm seeing. Bon Jovi and Queen to an extent are and always have been cheesy.

cheesy? haha, what music would you say defines that era?

Judas
21-02-2011, 12:47 AM

agreed but i don't think that's what the OP was suggesting, but i think your use of the world 'proper' was a bad choice because is there really anything that can define one whole decade?

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 12:54 AM
cheesy? haha, what music would you say defines that era?
Well it's hard to say, but people like Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, New Order, Joy Division, The Jam, Bowie, Blondie, Human League from the top of my head. They're all pretty well received still to this day.

I do get what you are saying though.

The Don
21-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Well it's hard to say, but people like Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, New Order, Joy Division, The Jam, Bowie, Blondie, Human League from the top of my head. They're all pretty well received still to this day.

I do get what you are saying though.

I appreicate that, but I can't beleive you think queen didn't have an impact on that era, live aid was unquestionably one of the biggest events of that era (the 80's) and as that, queen did a breath taking performance, undoubtedly the best there) they were amazing, and to say that there music wasn't and isn't iconic of that era, is, in my opinion wrong,but hey, we all have different tastes :) )

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 01:02 AM
I appreicate that, but I can't beleive you think queen didn't have an impact on that era, live aid was unquestionably one of the biggest events of that era (the 80's) and as that, queen did a breath taking performance, undoubtedly the best there) they were amazing, and to say that there music wasn't and isn't iconic of that era, is, in my opinion wrong,but hey, we all have different tastes :) )

My point is that, in my opinion, Queen didn't add anything 'new'. Artists using electro/synth etc were groundbreaking at the time and iconic in a music sense.

The Don
21-02-2011, 01:07 AM
My point is that, in my opinion, Queen didn't add anything 'new'. Artists using electro/synth etc were groundbreaking at the time and iconic in a music sense.

So because artists were using newer technology, they should be considered the ones to define that era? shouldn't it be based on the quality of the song, the lyrics and everything else, rather than because someone used a synthersiser first? but anyway, that wasn't what this thread was about :P I just meant older music in general if you know what I mean :)

It's like with films, take Avatar for example, that film has groundbreaking visuals, but I wouldn't say it was one of the most iconic films of the decade, it didn't have a very good story to it at all, although, considering it's the highest grossing film of all time, it should probably be considered an iconic film aha.

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 01:13 AM
So because artists were using newer technology, they should be considered the ones to define that era? shouldn't it be based on the quality of the song, the lyrics and everything else, rather than because someone used a synthersiser first? but anyway, that wasn't what this thread was about :P I just meant older music in general if you know what I mean :)

It's like with films, take Avatar for example, that film has groundbreaking visuals, but I wouldn't say it was one of the most iconic films of the decade, it didn't have a very good story to it at all, although, considering it's the highest grossing film of all time, it should probably be considered an iconic film aha.
Queen and Bon Jovi then were the equivalent of what McFly and Girls Aloud are now, on a slightly bigger scale. I just don't think that Queen or Bon Jovi, in a music sense are a good representation of music in the 80's. That's my opinion, which is far from what this topic is even about.

The Don
21-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Queen and Bon Jovi then were the equivalent of what McFly and Girls Aloud are now, on a slightly bigger scale. I just don't think that Queen or Bon Jovi, in a music sense are a good representation of music in the 80's. That's my opinion, which is far from what this topic is even about.

If that's your opinion, then so be it, although I find it laughable that you would compare queen as the equivilent to McFly, let's see, prince was the equivilent of justin bieber aswell while were at it?
But yeh, that's your opinion, this end this argument as we are clearly just going to keep disagreeing :l

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 01:19 AM
If that's your opinion, then so be it, although I find it laughable that you would compare queen as the equivilent to McFly, let's see, prince was the equivilent of justin bieber aswell while were at it?
But yeh, that's your opinion, this end this argument as we are clearly just going to keep disagreeing :l

I did dig myself a hole though, lol.

FlyingJesus
21-02-2011, 01:20 AM

Bon Jovi made over £130m from concert tickets alone last year making them the biggest touring act in the world. They also claimed that title in 2008. I'd say they're still pretty well received :P

JackBuddy
21-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Bon Jovi made over £130m from concert tickets alone last year making them the biggest touring act in the world. They also claimed that title in 2008. I'd say they're still pretty well received :P
Critically. ;)

The Don
21-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Critically. ;)

They must be pretty well received critically if they can sell the most tickets, why would anyone want to see a band if it had lots of bad reviews and was rubbish?

Judas
21-02-2011, 01:50 AM

i totally get what you're saying 80s was like 'the decade of the synths' or whatever and queen and bon jovi don't represent that, but i think comparing them to mcfly and girls aloud is a bit harsh loool

FlyingJesus
21-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Critically. ;)

Only bad reviews I've ever heard of their recent gigs is that Jon tends to go off on one talking about current events for a while partway through lol. Think you're making up points to go with your own ideas

samsaBEAR
21-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm just gonna go ahead and say I really don't like music made in the eras you've posted, and I don't understand how you can listen to it now when a lot of it is recorded at such low quality compared to modern times. It literally hurts my ears when I hear older music, and it makes no sense to me why someone would want to subject themselves to it.
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/Unpopular%20opinion%201.jpg

Judas
21-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm just gonna go ahead and say I really don't like music made in the eras you've posted, and I don't understand how you can listen to it now when a lot of it is recorded at such low quality compared to modern times. It literally hurts my ears when I hear older music, and it makes no sense to me why someone would want to subject themselves to it.
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/Unpopular%20opinion%201.jpg

LOL at the picture
some people just aren't that fussy at the quality of the recording i guess :)

Jurv
21-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't really say I listen to older music much, although I wouldn't go as far as saying I hate it. The only old music you'd find me listening to is probably a bit of Johnny Cash and I'm only a fan because my dad introduced me into his music.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!