PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer servers

Trinity
27-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Anyone fancy recommending a good server to join?

I was on the supatech server, but the constant map reloads, lag and a bunch of other problems have annoyed me too much.

I like pretty small servers, so nothing too popular please unless it's a really good server.

Technologic
27-02-2011, 07:59 PM
My servers up atm lol :p

You have hamachi?

On Hamchi join: The Super Sexy Server

Pass: 12345

Then on minecraft join: 5.223.212.238

redtom
27-02-2011, 08:33 PM
You can play on my server (v1.2) if you like (83.222.240.30:28865).
Its pretty small just me and a few friends, if you did come on they would probably bug the hell out of you though :P

Trinity
27-02-2011, 09:00 PM
My servers up atm lol :p

You have hamachi?

On Hamchi join: The Super Sexy Server

Pass: 12345

Then on minecraft join: 5.223.212.238

I just installed hamachi to try out your server, but it wouldn't connect :(

You can play on my server (v1.2) if you like (83.222.240.30:28865).
Its pretty small just me and a few friends, if you did come on they would probably bug the hell out of you though :P

I can't, I'm on 1.3_01 :(

PatrickMS
27-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear this. We had a map reload as we were using ramdisk to help speed up the server (which it did), however it also manage to corrupt the backups and the game, which meant the last working backup was 7:00 PM yesterday.

As for lag, it's not so much the lag but the server finding it hard to keep up. The server runs on a duel core 2gb ram server, however we also run the site and a dev server to try out new mods. Because of this the server runs on about 1.5GB ram and since minecrafe is quite badly coded and has memory leaks, what should be an easy to run game, now wants to eat up 2GB+ ram (making hugs structures with water and lava spuring out doesn't help lol)

There's not much we can do apart from tweaking the config (and oh boy is it tweaked lol) which has helped lower the ram usage and increase the fps (roughly doubled since we played with the settings.) However with ~30 white listed people it can get hard to keep ram low/bad block recognition.

o/t sorry to hear you leave!

Recursion
27-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear this. We had a map reload as we were using ramdisk to help speed up the server (which it did), however it also manage to corrupt the backups and the game, which meant the last working backup was 7:00 PM yesterday.

As for lag, it's not so much the lag but the server finding it hard to keep up. The server runs on a duel core 2gb ram server, however we also run the site and a dev server to try out new mods. Because of this the server runs on about 1.5GB ram and since minecrafe is quite badly coded and has memory leaks, what should be an easy to run game, now wants to eat up 2GB+ ram (making hugs structures with water and lava spuring out doesn't help lol)

There's not much we can do apart from tweaking the config (and oh boy is it tweaked lol) which has helped lower the ram usage and increase the fps (roughly doubled since we played with the settings.) However with ~30 white listed people it can get hard to keep ram low/bad block recognition.

o/t sorry to hear you leave!

I suggest you look into McMyAdmin, it automatically frees up memory within Java and manages the server automatically. It'll even handle auto backups and automatic reboots and all sorts.

You might also want to look into the HDD speeds. Running two Minecraft servers and whatever other services you have will stall, your disks are probably the problem here. Go back to using a RAMDISK and work out the problems :P You should be able to run on ~2GB RAM happily up to about 10 - 15 players at least.

I know from running the old Habbox server RAM wasn't the issue, disk speeds were, especially if you're virtualising the server with OpenVZ.

Twisty225
27-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I suggest you look into McMyAdmin, it automatically frees up memory within Java and manages the server automatically. It'll even handle auto backups and automatic reboots and all sorts.

You might also want to look into the HDD speeds. Running two Minecraft servers and whatever other services you have will stall, your disks are probably the problem here. Go back to using a RAMDISK and work out the problems :P You should be able to run on ~2GB RAM happily up to about 10 - 15 players at least.

I know from running the old Habbox server RAM wasn't the issue, disk speeds were, especially if you're virtualising the server with OpenVZ.

@OP - I'm as miffed as you with the server as you are.

@Recursion - There is nothing wrong with the server. We're only running one minecraft server on the dedi. The other VM is just the site which uses little resources. The server used to work great until we started messing with all this bukkit ****. The HDD isn't a problem. The new way that minecraft saves worlds means that the disk no longer had to do thousands of random seeks for a file as they are all stored in fewer larger files.

The server was working fine when we had ramdisk on. However it crashed this afternoon. I've never seen such error before (2011-02-27 11:58:42 [SEVERE] java.net.SocketException: Connection Die) but it seems that all the backups since ramdisk was install are corrupt. We all know that everything stored on RAM will be subject to these sort of problems.

Anyway, once I've sorted the server tomorrow feel free to come back. I can assure you once I've had some time to mess with it and the plugins which people want installing we will eventually have a fast, stable server.

Toodles

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!