PDA

View Full Version : Habbo constant disconnection since new modem.

Markeh
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Right, the network now goes like this

VM Hub --- ethernet to Belkin router (Yes, the VM Hub has wireless but I'm using the Belkin until I have time to change over every single device. No, changing over is not an option.) --- wireless to every other device.

I tried going on Habbo, and after about 5-10 minutes, it ALWAYS disconnects me and tells me I've logged out.
I effectively cannot use Habbo.

How do I fix this?

Recursion
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Get rid of the Belkin and see what happens.

I don't see your issue with wireless, you literally take 2 minutes to change the SSID and security on your new router to the same as the old one and everything will automatically reconnect, it takes no time at all.

Markeh
01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
My issue is that although G and N are compatible, the 2 G devices in this house CANNOT find the virgin wireless, which is N.

Seeing as one of those is my main rig, no internet is not an option.
It worked with the Belkin before, all thats changed is that the modem is different.

EDIT: My father is having trouble with his laptop now, Facebook games are saying that they're disconnected from the server.

Something is not right.

Recursion
01-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Did you turn DHCP off on the Belkin?

You might find the two routers are fighting to hand out IP info.

Also turn off the firewall on the Belkin, let the VM Hub handle everything apart from Wireless.

Markeh
01-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't recall doing. Now I'm currently connected to the Virgin network itself to confirm whether that's the issue or not.

Recursion
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't recall doing. Now I'm currently connected to the Virgin network itself to confirm whether that's the issue or not.

That could well be causing the problem then, even if it isn't you shouldn't run two seperate DHCP servers on a network like that.

xxMATTGxx
01-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Your two routers are probably fighting together, are you having trouble loading any sites and there's slowness? I'm usng the Super Hub with another router and this is what I did:

Super Hub > Ethernet > Other Router (The 2nd router has all of the wired connections and is giving wireless to all devices unless they are able to use 5GHz)

DHCP = Turned Off (This needs turning off, I would do this on the other router to be fair)

Make sure the SSID and security are the same on the Super Hub and the Router, what you could do is actually make the Super Hub only do 5GHz devices and then keep your other router doing the normal wireless stuff.

Also you may want to turn off the following in the Super Hub:

IP Flood Detection
Firewall Features

Markeh
01-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Right, I will disable DHCP on the Belkin.

Will this affect devices that are already connected i.e. will I have to reconfigure every device?

I will probably set up the Virgin at some point for N devices, but right now, until I get a free weekend, I just want internet...

xxMATTGxx
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Right, I will disable DHCP on the Belkin.

Will this affect devices that are already connected i.e. will I have to reconfigure every device?

I will probably set up the Virgin at some point for N devices, but right now, until I get a free weekend, I just want internet...

This doesn't take long and wouldn't need a full weekend for you to do this, do you really need the Belkin? Like where is it placed within your house and does it need to be there. I have to have mine the way it is because it would take a lot of work to move a lot of ethernet cable to another room so it's just easier for having the access point added on.

Markeh
01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
DHCP disabled on the Belkin, now the Belkin is unaccessible by any means, wired or wireless. I cannot access 192.168.2.1 to change this setting back. What the hell do I do now that my Belkin is practically screwed?

And as told earlier, no Belkin = no internet to dad's laptop or my desktop. This belkin IS required.

xxMATTGxx
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
DHCP disabled on the Belkin, now the Belkin is unaccessible by any means, wired or wireless. I cannot access 192.168.2.1 to change this setting back. What the hell do I do now that my Belkin is practically screwed?

And as told earlier, no Belkin = no internet to dad's laptop or my desktop. This belkin IS required.

You do realise you should of changed the settings before turning off the DHCP? Anyway, unplug the ethernet cable that connects it to the Super Hub and reset the Belkin router. (button somewhere on the back) is what you most likely need to do.

Can I also ask what model the Belkin is?

Recursion
01-03-2011, 08:13 PM

If the Belkin is required something is wrong. Wireless, by technical standards and physical frequency enables Wireless-G backwards compatibility with Wireless-N.

Your router isn't screwed, you need to work out why you are no longer able to connect to your Belkin, DHCP should have no effect what so ever on this. The VM Hub should be dishing you out IP addresses and your Belkin should have a static IP. You need to find where else the problem lies.

Markeh
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
What setting? You didn't mention a setting other than DHCP?

It's an F5D9230.
Resetting now.

It did have a static IP, 192.168.2.1 unless you mean something else.

I can't access it after the reset. I'm sure I have to do something to get it to find the Belkin again on the wired connection to the main PC, but I forgot what. If it makes a difference, the main PC is running XP (don't even start on running outdated software, I seriously am now sick to the teeth of this bloody router.)

And it's not my fault that neither PC with G can pick it up...

The fault is not with the hub, I'm connected wirelessly to the Hub to type this (using an N-enabled laptop)

xxMATTGxx
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Let's get this straight:

Your Super Hub is connected to Belkin via Ethernet, right?

You have made sure the SSID on Super Hub and Belkin are EXACTLY the same, right?

You have kept the same security on the Super Hub and Belkin the same yes?

DHCP will need to be turned off on the Belkin.

(Just to confirm you have done these already)

Markeh
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
No, the SSID and security are different. The Hub, btw, it's a standard Hub not the Super but this doesn't make much of a difference

The Belkin's using WEP and is called Belkin_G_Plus_MIMO_(six random letters that I'm not putting on the internet)
The Hub's using WPA2 and is called virginmedia(7 random numbers I'm not putting on the internet)

In the past, while attempting to set up another router as a bridge, when setting the security and SSID as the same on 2 routers, I have had numerous connection issues, and have never managed to get them to run successfully, so am hesitant to change the names to the same. And if I indeed did, it would be the Belkin's details that would be changed.

The bad news is that the Belkin doesn't support WPA2, only WPA. I would have to change the Virgin Hub to WPA, and then change the SSID of the Belkin. Would I need to use the same password for both networks?

All connected devices are showing in the DHCP Client List on the Belkin's control panel.

The Belkin is now back up and running and accessible, albeit with the original issues.

Another side point, if I bought an n miniPCI card for my father's laptop, would it work with the existing antennae in it?

xxMATTGxx
01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
The SSID and Security need to be the same on both devices. What hub do you exactly have by the way?

No, the SSID and security are different. The Hub, btw, it's a standard Hub not the Super but this doesn't make much of a difference

The Belkin's using WEP and is called Belkin_G_Plus_MIMO_(six random letters that I'm not putting on the internet)
The Hub's using WPA2 and is called virginmedia(7 random numbers I'm not putting on the internet)

In the past, while attempting to set up another router as a bridge, when setting the security and SSID as the same on 2 routers, I have had numerous connection issues, and have never managed to get them to run successfully, so am hesitant to change the names to the same. And if I indeed did, it would be the Belkin's details that would be changed.

The bad news is that the Belkin doesn't support WPA2, only WPA. I would have to change the Virgin Hub to WPA, and then change the SSID of the Belkin. Would I need to use the same password for both networks?

All connected devices are showing in the DHCP Client List on the Belkin's control panel.

The Belkin is now back up and running and accessible, albeit with the original issues.

Another side point, if I bought an n miniPCI card for my father's laptop, would it work with the existing antennae in it?

Markeh
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
OK, but tonight, I have internet well enough to sort coursework so I'm setting it up at the weekend.

It's a Netgear VMDG280, officially.

Chippiewill
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Look on the Virgin router and look for a setting under wireless settings and make sure it's set to G and N.

Also if it's not WPA2-PSK then it's wrong and is insecure.

Recursion
02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Also you cant access your Belkin router because the VM Hub is giving out a different IP address range, you need to add two static IPs on your computer, one for the new VM Hub range and another for the old Belkin range so you can change the Belkin over to the new range. If you haven't got it tonight I'll post a quick tutorial.

Markeh
02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
For some reason it appears to be working fine at the moment.

I know that to access the VM Hub it's 192.168.0.1
and that the Belkin's at 192.168.2.1
Which should be a different subnet... right?

Which PC would I need to add the static IPs to? Each one I connect? Or just my dad's Amilo that can't access the Virgin network?

Recursion
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
For some reason it appears to be working fine at the moment.

I know that to access the VM Hub it's 192.168.0.1
and that the Belkin's at 192.168.2.1
Which should be a different subnet... right?

Which PC would I need to add the static IPs to? Each one I connect? Or just my dad's Amilo that can't access the Virgin network?

Ok, ignore the two static IP thing, start over:

Just assign your PC a static IP on the Belkin's 192.168.2.x IP range, then login to the Belkin and change it's IP to one on the VM Hub's range, like 192.168.0.2. When you've done this just set your computer back to a DHCP (Dynamically) assigned IP. This means that everything is on the same network and everything should work fine.

They need to be on the same subnet, but with different IPs.

Chippiewill
02-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Ok, ignore the two static IP thing, start over:

Just assign your PC a static IP on the Belkin's 192.168.2.x IP range, then login to the Belkin and change it's IP to one on the VM Hub's range, like 192.168.0.2. When you've done this just set your computer back to a DHCP (Dynamically) assigned IP. This means that everything is on the same network and everything should work fine.

They need to be on the same subnet, but with different IPs.
Hmm, all I had to do to get my Belkin and Netgear working together was put the Belkin into relay mode and it just acts like a switch with wireless. I think you're over complicating it. Having a different subnet shouldn't be a problem if only one is the DCHP.

Recursion
02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Hmm, all I had to do to get my Belkin and Netgear working together was put the Belkin into relay mode and it just acts like a switch with wireless. I think you're over complicating it. Having a different subnet shouldn't be a problem if only one is the DCHP.

Most routers don't have a "relay" function :P

Chippiewill
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Most routers don't have a "relay" function :P
Well my Belkin one does and so should his.

Recursion
02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Well help him out then ;)

This isn't complicated at all, it's literally a 2 minute job.

Markeh
02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Which PC? Am I best to use the one that's connected to the Belkin directly?

Also, I intend to add in a D-Link DIR-615, as an Ethernet bridge for my new workshop (going down the shed)... I assume what I would do is assign that the IP of 192.168.0.3, then change the SSID and security to the same as the VM Hub?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!