PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Connection Problems +Rep

Phil
03-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey,

I've posted this before and my problem was never really resolved. I just kind of got on with what I had but now it's REALLY starting to frustrate me. We have two desktops and three laptops in the house. They can all connect to the wifi except my laptop. When I try connect it stays for like two minutes before it's gone again? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try doing?

+Rep for helpful suggestions.

Gibs960
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
My laptop does that sometimes, but mine only does it on Saturday. Is it every day?

Phil
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Yup, every single day :(

Gibs960
03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Oh, can't help then! With me I have to wait a few hours and it's more or less fine.

RockyHorror
05-04-2011, 02:01 PM
It's quite difficult for an outside source to diagnose the exact problem, as there are numerous possibilities, but I'll try. You haven't provided a lot of details so i'll just go through a load of different scenario's in the hope it will provide you with an answer.

Firstly the simple solution, it could be an issue of signal strength of your router, when you try to access the internet, how far are you away from the router? Have you tried sitting in close proximity when connecting?

Failing that it could be an issue with the drivers you currently have installed, drivers are the software a computer needs so that it can identify the hardware connected to it. They could be out of date, so I would advise following the instructions provided by windows to see if the correct drivers are installed;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Another potential problem, which is a long-shot but it's best checked before taking extreme action like paying for any hardware you might not need. Phone your ISP (internet service provider) and ask if they know of any other circumstances whereby connection issues have occurred with your type model of laptop. If they don't then you might as well ask if they suggest any solutions while you have them on the phone.

The last possible explanation that I can think of is that it might be the wireless card, is it an internal or external card?

If it is to do with the wireless card, and you don't want to either buy a replacement laptop or go through the process of getting the wireless card replaced within your laptop (which will no doubt cost quite a bit due to the fact, fixing hardware problems on a laptop can be extremely difficult) Then i'd advise buying an external adapter or replace the existing one you have.

Hopefully one of them is the correct solution for you, it's as much as I can help without having access to your laptop. If none of that helps, call a technician out and they will root out the problem for you.

Flisker
05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I haven't read the above post fully but have you tried either moving your laptop to another room in case there is some kind of disturbance in the specific room and/or have you tried changing the Wireless channel on the router settings?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!