PDA

View Full Version : Rain & Snow

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
It seems Notch and the gang are bringing back rain and snow in 1.5.

Notch has currently stated on his twitter:

"Adding rain and snow to 1.5."

"Ice and snow will regrow, farms will autowater"

"Wolves get wet in the rain. Crops will get watered. Anything else it should affect?"

Edit:

@notch Will the weather be temporary (time-based)? So it's not ON/OFF in the config. :)

Answer from Notch: Yep

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/

I've only ever experienced snow in a full snowy map before it was taken out. Thoughts? I think it will be pretty cool to bring back and hopefully it will affect some gameplay. I also hope they have it optional so we can turn it on and off if we don't want to ever experience it.

Thoughts? :P

Firework.
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I thought you meant irl
i was like
what they r bringing back rain and snow? :-l

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I thought you meant irl
i was like
what they r bringing back rain and snow? :-l

LOL, you noob. I did post it in the "Minecraft" section for a reason :(

Johno
07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I like the idea of the rain for watering crops, not too fussed about snow though :)

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I like the idea of the rain for watering crops, not too fussed about snow though :)

Yeah, he's also stated he won't make it so it solidified lava but it will put out any fires.

Firework.
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
LOL, you noob. I did post it in the "Minecraft" section for a reason :(

I only realised when at the end you said
"hopefully it will affect some gameplay"

I was like ahhh i see

Chris
07-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a nice feature to have, it'll make it more realistic. ^_^

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Looks like there will be some sort of thunder and lighting as well.

jackass
07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Sounds pretty cool to me! :D

Seasons would be good too, so the snow will only fall in Winter, and it'll be sunnier & hotter in summer, and in certain heats, crops will need more water and cooling or something. Trees can go brown in autumn and leaves can fall off!

redtom
08-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Notch has also confirmed that the piston mod is going to be implemented (SWEET!) in one of the coming up versions, 1.5 will be out next week (if all goes well) which will included weather, stats and achievements. Ohh and the Release Data is 11/11/11

11/11/11

We had a board meeting today, which felt relatively grown up and mature. We had it at a nice asian restaurant, and there was food, drinks and coffee. Carl held a nice presentation, showing the progress of the company, and we discussed and voted about various details on where to go and what to do. The most relevant parts for Minecraft is that we decided to bring in bug fixing into the development method in a more clear way so that people working customer support can add them as tasks for us, and that we finally set a release date for Minecraft.

It’s a bit tricky to really do a release for Minecraft as we keep updating it all the time. For one, the version we deem as the “full version” won’t be very different at all from what the game was like a week ago, and we’ll keep adding features after the release as well, so it’s really more of a milestone when we finally get rid of the Beta label, and some kind of goal for us to work towards. The plan is to be open with this and try to get people to cheer us on as much as possible, but to be open with the fact that the game won’t change much at the actual release day. (It’s more a progress up until that point)

We picked November 11, with the unofficial tagline “us too”.

It’s the same date as a few other games and movies, and the one I’m the most excited about is Skyrim, so that will be a nice reward for me if we actually manage to hit that date!

And, in case you want an update on Minecraft:

We’ve been working on finishing up Achievements and Statistics for 1.5, I ran into some issues with JSON, got frustrated, and added weather instead. Developing new features like that is what I enjoy doing the most, so I ended up covering a lot of ground. There’s periodic downfall (snow in snowy areas, rain in others, nothing in deserts) that make the sky darker, hides the sun, moon and stars, and makes everything wet. Ice grows back in cold regions, and snowfall covers the ground when it’s snowing. During rain/snow, there can be occasional thunderstorms with lightning. I haven’t finished the actual lightning bolt yet, but everything else is fairly done.
Once the stats are done and the weather has been tested through, we’ll release 1.5. I’m guessing this will be next week. The piston mod might get added, but it will not be in time for 1.5.
From Notch's blog.

jackass
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't like the sound of 'might' and 'not in time for 1.5'. :'(

...but I do like the sound of 1.5 being sometime next week! (H)

redtom
08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I guessing Notch is completely against it but the rest of the team seem to like pistons, Jeb was giving it tons of support. I doubt he would of put it in his blog post if it wasn't going to be put into the game, hes probably just trying to put it off as much as possible.

jackass
08-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't see why he wouldn't want it included if i'm honest! They're brilliant! :D

redtom
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
He very against anything what he hasn't made/thought of his self. He's only recently let the other coders put in stuff they want.

xxMATTGxx
09-04-2011, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy882ILYJMM

GommeInc
09-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Video
I like how you can run for cover from the rain under trees and not get wet, that's a nice edition :P

I can see it being further updated to maybe allow puddles (a thin layer of blue appears on a block and spreads the more it rains). That would make rain a bit more useful, but maybe a problem to create. They also need to make the transition from rain to snow smoother too :P Looks good though :)

Eoin247
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Sounds very interesting. I wonder if they will affect the fps much for when i'm using my laptop.

redtom
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I can see the noise of rain getting really annoying very quickly hopefully they'll change it so it only sounds like it does in the video near water.

dbgtz
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I was confused earlier, I found a new patch of snow on the server and thought it was all updated. I know it wasn't there before because there was a newly planted tree where snow went on it and just because I remember it wasnt snow.

Recursion
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I was confused earlier, I found a new patch of snow on the server and thought it was all updated. I know it wasn't there before because there was a newly planted tree where snow went on it and just because I remember it wasnt snow.

If that's our server, that was me using /snow. LOL

redtom
12-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Just scanned through notch's twitter and saw this;

MUOAHAHA! Pigs that get hit by lightning turn into zombie pigmen ;D

That's gonna be epic!

Jeb's been talking about powered rails and un-powered rails so it looks like the minecart system is gonna be a hole lot easier.

Neil
12-04-2011, 02:33 PM
He also said something about during lightening storms the light level drops by 1 so mobs can spawn during the day.

jackass
12-04-2011, 03:11 PM
How? Haha, light levels during the day are 15, so if it's dropped by 1, then it goes to 14, and mobs can only spawn in light levels 7 and below. :P

Neil
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
How? Haha, light levels during the day are 15, so if it's dropped by 1, then it goes to 14, and mobs can only spawn in light levels 7 and below. :P

Don't ask me, that's just what Notch put on twitter. XD

redtom
12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah I saw that as well, but he didn't exactly say spawn he just said monsters during storms.. made me think their might be a new mob? But there's been nothing else hinting towards it. will probably just mean pigmen and maybe spiders are aggressive during storms?

Chris
12-04-2011, 10:27 PM
He said if pigs get hit by the lightening then they turn into those pigmen things. lol.

xxMATTGxx
15-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Another change for 1.5:

"You know how you can climb ladders with gaps? Yeah, not in 1.5."

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/58802331071938560

and

"To make up for the ladder fix, I fixed the side textures of grass! Also things walking through snow produce snow particles around their feet"

GommeInc
15-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Jeb's been talking about powered rails and un-powered rails so it looks like the minecart system is gonna be a hole lot easier.
'bout time too, the minecarts were one of my favourite potential features when I first started using it. It'll be nice to actually use the underground train system on a map I use too :P

redtom
15-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Another change for 1.5:

"You know how you can climb ladders with gaps? Yeah, not in 1.5."

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/58802331071938560

and

"To make up for the ladder fix, I fixed the side textures of grass! Also things walking through snow produce snow particles around their feet"

I read something saying that crafting ladders will make 2 instead of just the one.

Pazza
15-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I read something saying that crafting ladders will make 2 instead of just the one.

I hope so haha!

Chippiewill
15-04-2011, 11:35 AM

I'd hope so, the Log to Ladder ratio is very skewed at the moment in my opinion.

xxMATTGxx
15-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah he has changed that also, someone asked him on twitter:

"@notch please let us get 2 ladders instd of one when we craft it :("

Then notch replied with:

"@theArchPoint Good idea. Done."

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!