PDA

View Full Version : teachers & facebook?

Conservative,
14-04-2011, 01:56 PM
*MODs if this is in wrong place move it thanks :D*

Okay hi everyone i'm just here to ask this:

Are teachers allowed to add students on facebook?

I just got back from a performing arts tour and 2 teachers added me on facebook (yes - added me). Neither of them are my actual teacher for any subjects, so is it okay?

I was just wondering thanks :)

Neversoft
14-04-2011, 02:05 PM
They're probably pedophiles.

Arron
14-04-2011, 02:17 PM
It's weird that two teachers have decided to add you...

I try to find my teachers on Facebook but they're either not on it or have hid themselves, somehow.

dirrty
14-04-2011, 02:19 PM
well i wouldn't exactly say they're not allowed to add students on facebook - but i've usually found that teachers will accept ex-students on facebook as they no longer teach them anymore.

dbgtz
14-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Well teachers at my school got proper moaned at for adding students
its fine when theyre not youre teacher or a teacher at your school anymore.

shizzle
14-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Well teachers at my school got proper moaned at for adding students
its fine when theyre not youre teacher or a teacher at your school anymore.
I've been told exactly the same thing.. I guess it makes sense though.

Eoin247
14-04-2011, 04:25 PM
It's fine as long as they don't groom you or something after they add you.

Accipiter
14-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Nothing can be done, and it's not unnatural, they're Human too.

Are they college teachers or school? I'd understand adding a college lecturer / teacher.

beth
14-04-2011, 06:10 PM
i have alot of my ex-teachers on facebook. but none of my current teachers.
i don't generally think it's allowed.

AgnesIO
14-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Most schools look down on this sort of thing. Someone at my school found a video on a teachers account of him absolutely pissed. Head teacher wasn't very pleased.

Mark
14-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I know my school has a Teacher Student Policy. Teachers are not in any way aloud to contact students outside the school whether it be meeting up or online.

Misawa
14-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I would say that's pretty weird. My Sixth Form form tutor actively sought me out and added me but that was over a year after I was done with education so it was fine.

Mathew
14-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Nope, teachers are not allowed to add students on Facebook. There was a big thing on it about a year ago where a lot of schools in my area were contacted (and specific teachers) were reprimanded and told to delete students. For good reasons I suppose; it's completely unprofessional in my opinion.

My teachers were more than happy to add students after we'd left though.. although I only think I have one :P

Casanova
14-04-2011, 07:17 PM
it's allowed, it's not grooming you or going beyond the scope. Different councils/regions can of course make their own rules due to labour education systems but unless they have a specific rule against it there's nothing to stop them.

Considering they're not your teachers I have no idea why you're worrying.

Tom
14-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Most schools don't allow it because of obvious reasons. Whereas if you're no longer part of that school you can. Whether your school is strict on this Robbie no-one knows :P

Aidenn
14-04-2011, 07:28 PM
When i left secondary school my teacher added me and i added them, kept in contact mainly, but when i got into college, our college tutor added us on facebook mainly should we need to know anything, aka any events, since the college wasnt exactly top classed organised.

But i dont think its generally wrong, depending on the education level.

Narnat,
15-04-2011, 12:42 AM
I personally don't think it's right but then the ball lies in your court. you can decide if you want to accept them or not. This here (http://www.scribd.com/doc/16957158/Teachers-Guide-to-Using-Facebook-Read-Fullscreen) might help you to understand the guide lines :)

rnix
15-04-2011, 02:14 AM
why would you want ur teachers on ur facebook anyway? vom

Gibs960
15-04-2011, 09:54 AM
If you had a good relationship with a teacher then I suppose it'd be fine, there's only one teacher I'd even consider adding, personally.

luce
15-04-2011, 09:58 AM
it's the law over here they're not allowed to have you however i have previous teachers who have left and then when people leave some people then add teachers like i will because i'm more friends with some of them now i'm in sixth form, so no don't do it while you're at school but after why not. Depends how old you are like it's not as weird for sixth formers because they're like adults but year 7's is just weird.

cocaine
15-04-2011, 10:01 AM
generally speaking they should't add you when you're an active student in the school, most people add teachers once they've left. saying that though i have a PE technician on my facebook, but he's only 2 or so years older than me and went to the school himself and i know him personally anyway

Alexx..
15-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Teachers aren't allowed to add THEIR CURRENT students on facebook, because they could either be seeing you, or giving you cheats for your subject.
However, if they're not your teacher or they're your old teacher then it's fair game. I have some old teachers on my facebook but that's because they're frickin awesome.

redtom
15-04-2011, 11:25 AM
It's perfectly fine, some schools has policy against it but generally they can't do anything to stop it. Obviously there is a stigma attached especially with younger students, but as long as their isn't any funny business involved its fine. I'm pretty sure its the same with mobile numbers.

Caution
15-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I wouldn't do it. Someone in my class is mutual friends on fb with the teacher but I don't know why she'd want to be, tbh.

.x.miss.angel.x
15-04-2011, 03:43 PM
At my school, its a rule you cannot add teachers, they cannot add you since of teacher student friendships/relationships. I don't think its aloud.. If they leave the school or you leave its ok i think ;L

iJoe
15-04-2011, 04:02 PM
its in our schools policy thing they can't add you until you've left.

The IT department do have an account though which they add people on

most teachers just block the network most people join when they add the school as their education

Accipiter
15-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Don't see any reason that they shouldn't be allowed to add students. Stopping it only makes school seem like a more hostile environment, our schooling system is ****.

myke
15-04-2011, 04:31 PM
A lot of schools have policies or staff agreements to stop them from doing it, it can land them in a lot of ****. It's not advisable really, maybe if they were ex-teachers then yeah alright

Accipiter
15-04-2011, 04:38 PM
If they think their teachers are all secretly pedophiles then maybe they need to give OfSted a ring.

myke
15-04-2011, 04:39 PM
If they think their teachers are all secretly pedophiles then maybe they need to give OfSted a ring.

I don't think its because they think they're paedophiles, they're just covering their arses and I'm sure Ofsted aren't the ones that deal with paedophiles.. lol.

Accipiter
15-04-2011, 04:42 PM
No but OfSted would certainly come into your school if you ran out of teachers...

Why don't the schools do something useful with Facebook like every other society, make a group...

,elaboratedolls
15-04-2011, 05:58 PM
No, they're not allowed to add students on facebook.
This is to prevent them being pedophiles or whatever. When they're not their students though, I think they're allowed to add them. I'm not sure about this though, as it ranges from school to school.

Judas
15-04-2011, 06:04 PM
i know that it's a rule in my school that teachers and students can't be friends on facebook for a fact, dno if that applies for everyone else too but it definitely is in mine

Michael
19-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Well, some of my friends have teachers on facebook who dont teach them anymore. (e.g. primary school teachers)

Andy-
19-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I find that totally weird why would a teacher want to add a student on facebook. I have found some of my teachers on facebook but it doesn't mean I add them, I glance threw a couple pictures to see if I can see anything interesting thats if there privacy settings allow me to do that. Some PE teachers in my school have a few ex pupils who currently play football for Arsenal or Leyton Orient etc, as I go to to a all boy school this is normal.

Samantha
20-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah they aren't suppose to add you/accept you until you have left that school/college. I think, however, maybe you should decline them as you never know what could happen. I don't see a hype in adding teachers/accepting them but we got told that it was a definite no so I think it might be like that all over the country.

AgnesIO
20-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I find that totally weird why would a teacher want to add a student on facebook. I have found some of my teachers on facebook but it doesn't mean I add them, I glance threw a couple pictures to see if I can see anything interesting thats if there privacy settings allow me to do that. Some PE teachers in my school have a few ex pupils who currently play football for Arsenal or Leyton Orient etc, as I go to to a all boy school this is normal.

Who do they know who plays for the O's?

wixard
20-04-2011, 11:33 AM
errr dunno bout you guys but i had a really close relationship with one of my teachers (NO JOKES PLEASE)
and we had each other as friends on fb during my last year of school
and he even commented on statuses and stuff regularly

lizzieTBH.
20-04-2011, 11:36 AM
The teachers at my school aren't allowed to have students until after the student leaves.

Moh
20-04-2011, 11:51 AM
If they're your teacher, I don't think it's allowed. Not too sure if they're allowed in special circumstances as one of my sisters best friend was one of my teachers. So I knew her as a family friend before I knew her as a teacher. Just at the time, we didn't have facebook :P

The teachers at college wont allow us on facebook as it's unprofessional, but they'll let you add them if they're no longer our tutor. Saying that, we all have our tutors mobile number and he has all ours haha. We all once got added by one of our other tutors when she needed to give us some information about an assignment whilst on half term :P

Jssy
20-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I only read the first page of this thread but teachers at our school said it's illegal. We have a young supply teacher who's pretty cool and always talks about COD but students wanted to add him on Xbox but he said he wasn't allowed to add people on xbox either.

-Soph-
21-04-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a few of my professors on facebook, it's not all that weird.

GirlNextDoor15
22-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah I have a lot of teachers on facebook too and we often contact thru facebook lol

Recursion
25-04-2011, 11:30 AM
It's extremely dodgey for school staff to add students, it's alright if they're Sixth Formers about to leave etc as teachers begin to see students more as friends (17/18+) quite often. I work in a school and we've had to put policies in place to stop staff adding students with consequences if they're found because it looks real bad in terms of Child Protection and has the potential to put the school itself in a dyre situation.

I'm in upper sixth now and we've started adding teachers so we can keep in touch when we move onto Uni :P

Chris
25-04-2011, 11:34 AM
My school never allowed it, but now Ive left I do have one teacher added and I dont see anything wrong with it. ^_^

wiktoria
28-04-2011, 10:48 AM
My teachers said I wasn't allowed to add them until I left school but I do have 1 primary school teacher on my facebook.

Richie
28-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd love to add some children on facebook.

I don't really see it as a big deal, fair enough if the people they're adding are under 16 but if they're 16+ I don't see it as a big problem once they aren't commenting on your photos and that.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!