PDA

View Full Version : Blood donation ban on gay men to be (barely) lifted

Technologic
17-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Gay men will soon be able to donate blood after ministers were advised to lift the current ban on any man who has had sex with another man during his lifetime.

Under current legislation, gay men who have had sex are banned from donating, although limited controls mean an estimated 7% of sexually active gay men still give blood.

But as outlined by The Sunday Times, new plans to be announced by Anne Milton, the public health minister, will allow gay men to donate blood - but only if they have not had sex for the past ten years.

SaBTO, the government advisory committee on the safety of blood, tissue and organs, warned if the ban were to be lifted completely, the risk of HIV infection would increase dramatically. Just over 40% of those infected with HIV in 2009 were gay men, according to The Sunday Times.

The current process for testing donated blood can determine whether the donor is HIV positive, but only after a certain period of time post-infection - meaning a small amount of donated blood could potentially be infected.

The ten-year deferral period, which will see Britain follow a similar policy to New Zealand, aims to rule out those who are unknowingly HIV positive from passing it on. Currently a quarter of those infected with HIV are unaware of their status.

The move has been seen as a step in the right direction by gay rights campaigners, who feel the current law is discriminatory.

A government source told The Sunday Times: “A complete ban is unfair and discriminatory but we need to protect public health, so the 10-year rule is what is being considered.”

http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory/5175/10/04/2011/blood-donation-ban-on-gay-men-to-be-lifted.aspx

This will make NO difference, gay men will have to wait 10 years after having gay sex before they can donate so what's the point?

I've had a voluntary HIV test in the past 6 months and I don't have HIV. I'm open about the fact I have a boyfriend and have sex often but i use condoms but i still can't donate. Equality at its best!

Also on a side note, i can donate all my organs with no worries. Makes perfect sense.

Tom
17-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Wow, is there really any point in lifting the bloody ban? "You've had sex you obviously have aids you can't donate blood" might as well just say that? >;/

Technologic
17-04-2011, 03:04 PM
It's to get around equality laws probably

Eoin247
17-04-2011, 03:20 PM
You'll find, i think , that this ban will be completely lifted in the years to come. A bit disapointing however that at this time these type of laws still exist.

Cosmic
17-04-2011, 03:40 PM
The law seems very dated due to its attitude, but it's certainly a step in the right direction towards equality - even if it's not quite there yet.

FlyingJesus
17-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Does HIV disappear after 10 years or something, first I've heard of this genius logic

Aidenn
17-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Sorry but i aint waiting 10 years to give blood.

Can you just imagine it now, another man comes near you:

'NOPE SORRY, NO CAN DO, GOTTA WAIT 10 YRS'

People will look at you gone-out..

Wonder how long till the bans removed altogether, with NO limits.

Technologic
17-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Sorry but i aint waiting 10 years to give blood.

Can you just imagine it now, another man comes near you:

'NOPE SORRY, NO CAN DO, GOTTA WAIT 10 YRS'

People will look at you gone-out..

Wonder how long till the bans removed altogether, with NO limits.

As long as the conservatives are in, never.

HotelUser
17-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't even seen the point to not allowing them to in the first place.

Eoin247
17-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't even seen the point to not allowing them to in the first place.

Well it was thought originally that HIV/AIDS was a "gay disease". Of course as we all know now this is nonsense, hetrosexual and homosexual people alike can get it. However that is probably why this law originally came into place.

Hecktix
17-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not a gay man nor have I donated blood so I'm unfamiliar with the procedures but couldn't a gay man just lie and say they are straight?

Eoin247
17-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not a gay man nor have I donated blood so I'm unfamiliar with the procedures but couldn't a gay man just lie and say they are straight?

You could i suppose, but then you would have to lie on your official file. I don't know about the UK, but here in Ireland you're supposed to indicate your sexuailty on the census form.

Technologic
17-04-2011, 05:05 PM
You could i suppose, but then you would have to lie on your official file. I don't know about the UK, but here in Ireland you're supposed to indicate your sexuailty on the census form.

You don't have to put it on the census.

However, it's more the point. If they don't want it, they ain't getting it.

I have registered to be an organ donor though....

Fez
17-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Shouldn't all blood donors be tested for HIV regardless of sexuality?

What a massive great big joke.

e5
17-04-2011, 06:51 PM
How could they proove they had a sex with another man lol?
What a silly rule.

Syphon
17-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Silly Government = Silly Rules...

And the 10 year wait... Does that somehow make it less likely they have gained an STD? Surely it would simply be better to take it now after a test rather than risk waiting 10 years [based on their judgement].

Ah I don't see point in the stupid law anyway, I would just claim I've never had sex with another man.

Con
17-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Seems completely ******* stupid.
I was actually considering donating lately, but guess not.
I'd understand if they said something like you need proof of a HIV test, but like.. this is so crazy. Straight people get HIV too ;l :@ :@

GommeInc
17-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Does HIV disappear after 10 years or something, first I've heard of this genius logic
It does if you bathe regularly, so I hear.

This seems pointless. A step in the right direction, but a step along a 1 million step staircase. I don't get the logic behind it, blood is blood, surely? Aren't "straight" people more likely to have HIV anyway? Blood goes through a huge testing and cleansing process anyway.

Stephen
17-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I didn't even know there was a ban lol

Aidenn
17-04-2011, 11:39 PM
(https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp)

Wish people would sotp being pathetic, aka the government and just sort themselves out, how hard could it be.
(https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp)

benjamin
17-04-2011, 11:52 PM
wasn't the original ban that anyone who has anal sex wasn't allowed to give blood? so not just gay men, know loads of girls who take it up the chuff.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!