PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Sells HDD Division to..

AgnesIO
19-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Seagate! They have paid Samsung $1.375b for the HDD division, plus other benefits to Samsung.

I personally own numerous Samsung HDDs - and I wouldn't be surprised if many of you do? Quite a big sale, maybe to cover the costs of the patent stuff with Apple? (joking :P)

anyway, full article:

We're firmly of the belief that SSDs are our future and Samsung would seem to agree. The Korean electronics giant has just announced that it's selling its hard disk drive-manufacturing arm to Seagate Technology for a neat $1.375 billion in equal measures of cash and stocks. As a result, Samsung Electronics will own approximately 9.6 percent of Seagate and get to nominate one new member to join Seagate's Board of Directors, while the two companies have further agreed to deepen their strategic relationship with related cross-licensing and supply stipulations. Samsung will provision Seagate's solid state drives with NAND flash memory, whereas Seagate will furnish Samsung's PCs and consumer electronics products with hard disk storage. The deal is expected to complete in full by year's end and you can read all about it in Seagate's press release after the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/samsung-sells-hdd-division-to-seagate-for-1-375-billion/

Stephen!
19-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Bad news.

Jordy
19-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Less competition can never be a good thing, less choice, less innovation and potentially higher prices.

Stephen!
19-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Plus Seagate have crappy HDDs.

Western Digital for life baby.

xxMATTGxx
19-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I own like two Samsung drives but anyway this is bad news.

N!ck
19-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I used to be very I <3 Samsing HDDs and I have two of them in this PC. This is not good as I don't really like Seagate :(.

But I'm pretty much Western Digital all the way now :).

Recursion
19-04-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm totally opposite to you guys, I'm pro Seagate and anti Western Digital! Still bad news though in terms of less competition.

N!ck
19-04-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm totally opposite to you guys, I'm pro Seagate and anti Western Digital! Still bad news though in terms of less competition.

Ahh WD are great. My 2TB drive is very quiet and spins up much faster then my Samsungs. The WD drives in my servers have very good i/o.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!