PDA

View Full Version : Top mathematician chooses to live a modest life away from the limelight

kuzkasate
20-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Watch the video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13124272

Five years ago one of the world's biggest unsolved mathematical mysteries was confirmed to have been cracked by a Russian mathematician.

Grigory Perelman had quietly posted his answer online in 2002.

But, instead of being feted by the world's top universities, Perelman has shunned all publicity, awards and prize money and opted instead to live very modestly with his mother in St Petersburg.

Wow, just wow seriously.

Ajthedragon
20-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I respect him for that.

A4R0N
20-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I respect him for that.
as do i

Jssy
20-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Well the life of money and everything isn't for everyone

GirlNextDoor15
21-04-2011, 11:51 AM
hey I knew this guy last year from perezhilton.com They say he lives in a box size room with only a bed and a table. He also didn't cut his hair for like a few years. lol. he's weird but intelligent :D

Michael
21-04-2011, 11:53 AM
He is also respected by me aswell. Good guy :)

Andy-
21-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I would prefer that I respect smart people who do not boast and act cocky as their intelligent, I have a few at my school.

Triz
21-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Good for him! But I'd have taken the prize money then lived a happy life out of public eye :)

GirlNextDoor15
21-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Good for him! But I'd have taken the prize money then lived a happy life out of public eye :)

Good one! LOL. I mean he got the prize worth a million. How cud he turned it down???? But he's intelligent. No doubt

kuzkasate
21-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Good one! LOL. I mean he got the prize worth a million. How cud he turned it down???? But he's intelligent. No doubt

Thats why I was thinking.. he honestly deserves it and if he didn't want the money, I'm sure his mum would of needed it or another family member, he coulda donated it to charity if anything. But then again, money isnt for everyone, but the awards? I really do not understand why he would not accept any awards :S

Zuth
21-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Atleast hes not a greedy dude whos just done it for the money, fame and awards. Good guy

redtom
23-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I think he's an idiot who will one day regret not milking what talent he had. Obviously being a mathematical genus doesn't mean your thinking straight.

Conservative,
23-04-2011, 01:07 AM
He's an inspiration. Incredibly intelligent, I aspire to be like him, although I doubt I'd turn down the money and prizes...lol. But fair play to him.

HotelUser
23-04-2011, 04:56 AM
It looks like this has given him a lot of trouble, poor guy.

GirlNextDoor15
23-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Thats why I was thinking.. he honestly deserves it and if he didn't want the money, I'm sure his mum would of needed it or another family member, he coulda donated it to charity if anything. But then again, money isnt for everyone, but the awards? I really do not understand why he would not accept any awards :S

Like I said, he's a weirdo. I mean he can accept the money and donate it to charity. I think it's quite stupid to turn down the offer altho he's quite intelligent in solving those maths questions.

HotelUser
23-04-2011, 05:13 AM
Like I said, he's a weirdo. I mean he can accept the money and donate it to charity. I think it's quite stupid to turn down the offer altho he's quite intelligent in solving those maths questions.

For a smart man you're right he could have thought of a smart way to spend the money if he didn't want it, like charity.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!