PDA

View Full Version : Is this a speed camera?

Robbie
22-04-2011, 12:01 AM
There are speed camera warning signs but it doesn't look like any speed camera I've ever seen. Definitely doesn't look like a Gatso or Truvelo.

http://db.tt/fZvNA1Q

Sorry if the image is sideways - took a streetview screenshot on my phone. I went past it at about 38 in a 30 yesterday.

Could it be a 'dummy' one?

Cheers

tdi
22-04-2011, 12:09 AM
link doesnt work

Andy-
22-04-2011, 12:10 AM
It probaly is one they might want you to think it is fake then let you speed and fine you.

Robbie
22-04-2011, 12:17 AM
link doesnt work

Try http://i52.tinypic.com/x3h3zr.png

GoldenMerc
22-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Its a camera at the lights to see if u go through a red light it gives u 3points.

Robbie
22-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Its a camera at the lights to see if u go through a red light it gives u 3points.

Makes sense I suppose, there's a crossing but it's not that close to the camera

GirlNextDoor15
22-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't think so as you can see they love to put this stuff by the road so that you won't speed.

myke
22-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Its not a speed camera, they have to be fluorescent yellow :) maybe its a bird house
:0 lol

But maybe you shouldve stuk to the speed limit and you wouldnt have to panic :o

GirlNextDoor15
22-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Its not a speed camera, they have to be fluorescent yellow :) maybe its a bird house
:0 lol

But maybe you shouldve stuk to the speed limit and you wouldnt have to panic :o

Yeah that's what I thought too. A bird house.

dbgtz
22-04-2011, 10:49 AM
could just be some form of cctv? last time I checked speed cameras were bulkier and yellow.

cocaine
22-04-2011, 10:56 AM
them things are up round here, they're usually situated about 10 metres after a speed camera. dunno what they're for though

myke
22-04-2011, 11:04 AM
them things are up round here, they're usually situated about 10 metres after a speed camera. dunno what they're for though

some of them have ANPR cameras after speed cameras appaz.

http://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/cameras_work.php?cameramovie=RedLight

that looks relatively like it. idk

Michael
22-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I think those are the things that see what speed your going, then a camera snaps you somewhere else.

Andy-
22-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I think those are the things that see what speed your going, then a camera snaps you somewhere else.

But won't that mean if I slow down the camera won't snap me?

cocaine
22-04-2011, 02:28 PM
But won't that mean if I slow down the camera won't snap me?

congratulations, you've figured out what a speed camera does

Robbie
22-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I'd been on national speed limit roads for two hours and just come off, obviously you think you're going slower than you are when you've been doing 60+ for ages. Well, I do anyway. Hence my going past over the speed limit.

Cheers everyone for help - doesn't seem to be a speed camera but I suppose we'll find out if I get a NIP in the post!

tdi
22-04-2011, 04:27 PM

no it's not.

but i don't know what it is, I would hazard a guess for it being a speed measuring device but NOT a camera, possibly linked to a sign saying 'YOUR SPEED IS:'

Cwmbran
22-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Im pretty sure all cameras that take your speed or if you go through red lights have to be bright yellow, apart from the handheld and police van ones obviously. Don't think its what the above post said as we have some of them round here and theres not a seperate camera its all in one.

Is it a traffic hot spot? It could be used to monitor traffic.

Camy
22-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I've never seen a fluorescent yellow speed camera? All the ones where I stay are dark blue, grey or black. I assume maybe the rules are slightly different in Scotland ?

Zuth
22-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I've never seen a fluorescent yellow speed camera? All the ones where I stay are dark blue, grey or black. I assume maybe the rules are slightly different in Scotland ?

Could be, all the ones i see in england are yellow

Swearwolf
22-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Traffic monitoring camera to see for jams as far as I can tell, and not all speed cameras are yellow some are blue, the average speed cameras

Another way is, are there the horizontal lines painted in the lane like normal cameras?

GommeInc
22-04-2011, 09:52 PM
It reminds me of a laser level which the Highway Agency use to see how level a certain part of a road or area is, but they're only ever portable :/ It can't be anything to do with speed cameras, usually they're yellow and a bit bigger, unless they've managed to make compact sized ones which can be easily vandalised and obstructed by average heighted people :S

myke
22-04-2011, 10:23 PM
or it could be a birdhouse like i suggested lol jke

but it could be a traffic monitoring measure, simply for surveillance purposes :o nd yeah the ones in scotland are either grey/blue i think i read earlier, in england they all have to be high vis i fink

scott
22-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Yeah they are all blue or grey here! Although on the back of them they are yellow&red fluorescent stripes :D We have ones like the one in the picture that's just before traffic lights so I thought it was for that but after reading the replies I guess not :P

Hecktix
22-04-2011, 11:10 PM
It could be a speed camera, not all of them in England are yellow - most of them are however there are certain towns which get away with painting them, for instance when I travel to Manchester I drive through a town called Tintwistle and all speed cameras here are dark green and hidden in trees, absolute ***** to see.

Even if it is a speed camera and you sped past it, you'd know if you got caught cause it'd have flashed, remember there's quite a low chance of a speed camera being on as you pass it as they cost quite a bit to run, they usually turn like 1 in every 3 cameras on at any one time and rotate this around every so often.

Tash.
23-04-2011, 12:04 AM
There are speed camera warning signs but it doesn't look like any speed camera I've ever seen. Definitely doesn't look like a Gatso or Truvelo.

http://db.tt/fZvNA1Q

Sorry if the image is sideways - took a streetview screenshot on my phone. I went past it at about 38 in a 30 yesterday.

Could it be a 'dummy' one?

Cheers

Hi,

It is a speed camera. It's just been painted in a different colour. Many of them on the way to Sheffield (just before the snake pass) are painted in different colours.

danzooo
23-04-2011, 12:17 AM
some of them have ANPR cameras after speed cameras appaz

Yeah looks like an ANPR camera to me

Recursion
23-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Buy a RoadAngel, puts all this kinda stuff to rest for ever :P. Oil not all speed cameras flash, in fact, most don't and the speed averaging cameras don't have to be yellow. Afaik, if the camera isn't clearly visible and signposted earlier on then it's classed as entrapment or something.

Zuth
23-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Buy a RoadAngel, puts all this kinda stuff to rest for ever :P

We've got a Snooper, tells you when theres a speed camera and to slow down. :)

myke
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
It could be a speed camera, not all of them in England are yellow - most of them are however there are certain towns which get away with painting them, for instance when I travel to Manchester I drive through a town called Tintwistle and all speed cameras here are dark green and hidden in trees, absolute ***** to see.

Even if it is a speed camera and you sped past it, you'd know if you got caught cause it'd have flashed, remember there's quite a low chance of a speed camera being on as you pass it as they cost quite a bit to run, they usually turn like 1 in every 3 cameras on at any one time and rotate this around every so often.

only gatsos flash, truvelos are infrared :)

Robbie
06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Not had anything yet, god knows what it is then haha

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!