PDA

View Full Version : GoldenEye Wii Review

peteyt
23-04-2011, 01:01 AM
The other week after discovering the Internet Channel was now free, I decided to dig out my Wii. I also saw the new game GoldenEye, a remake of the N64, for a decent price in Tesco, with a classic controller to (I prefer using a controller). I've decided to review the game, as I loved the original. This may contain spoilers!

The first and most important question a lot have asked is, is it any good, especially compared to the original? And most including myself will say no.

I grew up with the original and really wish I hadn't sold my N64 now. The new version doesn't seem to flow for me like the original did. While most of the graphics are decent, I feel that the levels are drawn out, with bits feeling the same, as if they weren't sure what to add.

My main problem is that the game to me doesn't seem to know if it's a James Bond game or a Splinter Cell game. You have the ability to do basic stealth, but it's very basic. Sometimes before you know it you've been apparently seen (even if your hidden) and the alarm comes and each time this happens reinforcements arrive.

To top it off the graphics seem wasted to me. The game felt too dark most of the time, and there where many times when I couldn't clearly see what was going on. Weirdly on a night time based mission you don't actually get night vision goggles until late on. Also sometimes you've got two ways to go, one might lead to some weapons and one might simply lead to the next check point. Often if you go the checkpoint way accidentally before checking the other way you then can't go back - this means if there's a hidden objective there you can miss it.

I think I'm probably very biased as I loved the original. I did have fun playing the new one and it was interesting how they made the story fit in with the now, with stuff like the financial crisis, I just think it was very generic, very call of duty like/other fps.

Let me know what you think to

Thread moved from 'Console and Computer Gaming' to here by Matts (Forum Moderator)

Andy-
23-04-2011, 02:40 AM
I agree with you played this game once at my cousins house and I really disliked it games like that should be left on PS3 and XBox etc.

Misawa
23-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Here's my pre-release review. (http://www.screenjabber.com/goldeneye-007-ps3-review)

peteyt
24-04-2011, 12:50 AM
I just think as a new game it would be okay but as a remake it just doesn't work for me.

Eoin247
24-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh i didn't realise that the browser has become free. Thanks for the heads up!

peteyt
24-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Oh i didn't realise that the browser has become free. Thanks for the heads up!

Ha it was one of the reasons I decided to bring the Wii back up from the living room. I never played it and had it under my bed and found it too much hassle to set up, but If I can watch stuff online on my TV via it I might as well.

GommeInc
24-04-2011, 10:46 PM
It was a very lousy game. The original was good because of the open levels, like the Bunker. This one is just too closed up and straight forward for my liking - plus the old one was weirdly designed so you shoot a model helicopter and it would explode in one of the huts near the satellite.

peteyt
25-04-2011, 05:59 PM
It was a very lousy game. The original was good because of the open levels, like the Bunker. This one is just too closed up and straight forward for my liking - plus the old one was weirdly designed so you shoot a model helicopter and it would explode in one of the huts near the satellite.

Yeah I agree. I liked the fact in the original you could walk around. For example in the snow level you could walk all around it. While is in the new one it's just a straight path. The graphics might have been good but I felt they where wasted on the Wii. As I mentioned I found it dark often.

GommeInc
28-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah I agree. I liked the fact in the original you could walk around. For example in the snow level you could walk all around it. While is in the new one it's just a straight path. The graphics might have been good but I felt they where wasted on the Wii. As I mentioned I found it dark often.
Agreed. I loved the snow level (Satellite I think?) It was spooky walking around the snow, dodging guards while trying to get to the bunker and the satellite but that was the only dark area of the game. The rest of it was lit pretty well. I did find this remake a bit "Neo-Noir" in style, mixing lots of dark scenes with a few deep, dark colours thrown in.

I also miss the Jungle level where you fight the woman with two guns (ha:P) - she was epic!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!