PDA

View Full Version : Sony shuts down PlayStation Network Indefinitely

Stephen!
26-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Before I get flamed, I feel this deserves a separate thread to the other one, since this is what has actually happened, as is official word from Sony. Also, so people don't have to go looking in another thread to find the information.

On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.

To ensure the network’s integrity, Sony said it is currently rebuilding the service, which connects more than 75 million PlayStation customers over the Internet, letting them play videogames and chat together. “This is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly,” Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said in a blog post.

Sony is still investigating the “external intrusion” that forced the electronics giant to shut down its network last Wednesday. In an email, the company also said it is also trying to figure out if any personal information, such as credit card numbers, may have been compromised in the attack.

Source (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/25/22402/)

So it has been hacked after all.

crazed
26-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh great, my brother just got a PS3 lol. He's not bothered though.

Hecktix
26-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Definitely worrying since they could have got credit card details, not very good for Sony - it could cost them a lot of money and is incredibly bad for PR.

Stephen!
26-04-2011, 10:38 PM
An update

The company posted an update on its blog today warning its more than 70 million customers that their personal information, including customer names, addresses, email addresses, birthdates, PlayStation Network and Qriocity passwords and usernames, as well as online user handles, was obtained illegally by an "unauthorized person."

Triz
26-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I've never had a PS3, nor will I ever buy one!
Sucks to be Sony right about now haha.

Chris
26-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Thats really bad news for sony, lets hope this is resolved soon. :O

GommeInc
27-04-2011, 12:24 AM
A few more links for you all:

Official PSN Blog on the matter (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/)
Another blog about it (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars)

I've never seen anything like this before. It's totally shocking.

samsaBEAR
27-04-2011, 12:42 AM
ill be thinking of you guys with ps3s when im playing on my nice secure service

Stephen
27-04-2011, 01:00 AM
any bets on geohot being the number one suspect? :P

And no offence but can the people who dont even have a ps3 stop posting like "LALALA IM ON MA XBOX AND IT AINT HACKED HAHA"

xxMATTGxx
27-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Who says this can't happen to Xbox Live?

Recursion
27-04-2011, 06:29 AM

It can happen at anytime to anyone, no matter what systems they use. Iirc, Xbox Live had 2 weeks of downtime over Christmas a couple of years ago... :rolleyes:

SaltNvinigar
27-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Um, It wouldn't happen to X-box, who would hack Microsoft (the people that make computer software). ???

xxMATTGxx
27-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Um, It wouldn't happen to X-box, who would hack Microsoft (the people that make computer software). ???

Regardless what they make, it could happen to anyone.

redtom
27-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Well that is what you get when you go all anti hacker. It would be amazing if as soon as they got there new secure system online they brought that to a stop to.

Oleh
27-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Geohot isnt blackhat so he wouldn't do it. Nor would an affiliate of anonymous.

i have a feeling its been done through rebug as that enabled you to gain the details of anybodys account. As well as top your own wallet up.

Jahova
27-04-2011, 09:16 AM

No one, however the fact that this hasn't yet happened..

xxMATTGxx
27-04-2011, 09:28 AM
No one, however the fact that this hasn't yet happened..

What about the future? Not that I want it to happen but I just get annoyed with the comments about Xbox live is online etc etc.

Oleh
27-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I think the fact it hasn't happened to xbox live is because microsoft know what theyre doing in terms of security. Or they havent pissed anyone off

Firehorse
27-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Did you know that Microsoft aren't the only company who make computer sotfware? Sony also makes computer software. An attack like this could also happen to a Microsoft network. Comments like this are just a flame attempt, now go back to your xbox.

samsaBEAR
27-04-2011, 10:37 AM
No one's saying that, but it's like someone else said, it hasn't happened to Live, and I am 95% sure that it's because we pay for the stability and upkeep of our service, against PS3 users who think getting their online for free is a better idea

wixard
27-04-2011, 10:38 AM
ps3 just sux

xxMATTGxx
27-04-2011, 10:51 AM
No one's saying that, but it's like someone else said, it hasn't happened to Live, and I am 95% sure that it's because we pay for the stability and upkeep of our service, against PS3 users who think getting their online for free is a better idea

Just because you pay does not secure that it will never happen to Xbox Live what so ever. PSN has been around since 2006 and its been hacked in 2011.

Southe,
27-04-2011, 10:52 AM
It can happen at anytime to anyone, no matter what systems they use. Iirc, Xbox Live had 2 weeks of downtime over Christmas a couple of years ago... :rolleyes:

Exactly, Xbox has faults to, like constant 12 yo screaming down the mic..

http://assets.lifehack.org/wp-content/files/2010/05/lifehack_rut.jpg

ps3 just sux

http://www.ukonlinegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/sony-fanboy-peeing.jpg

Syphon
27-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Exactly, Xbox has faults to, like constant 12 yo screaming down the mic..

And god giveth unto us the mute function!

xP 12 year olds can be dealt with rather easilly, an entire network being shut down indefinately cannot be dealt with quite so easy xP.

Actually laughed at that quote regarding microsoft xP

Oleh
27-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Just because you pay does not secure that it will never happen to Xbox Live what so ever. PSN has been around since 2006 and its been hacked in 2011.

As with everybody speaking of the ps3 hacking. The linux feature got removed about a year - year and a half ago and the ps3 got hacked in the same amount of time as the xbox.. Because nobody needed to hack it. The same with psn, Sony didnt have this stance on hackers until recently, So they needed to be shown who was boss basically

Technologic
27-04-2011, 11:40 AM
This is so stupid. Why would one neckbearded idiot take down a whole network.... I hope the guy gets whats coming to him

Misawa
27-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Firstly, it is obvious that the PS3 has been targeted because of the recent "controversy" with hackers. The fact of the matter is, it could happen to any games console, and if the roles were reversed, people on either side would still be blathering on about the same thing. And hey, the PS3 is outselling the Xbox now, so why not target the more popular console of the two, eh? And then why not go after the Wii, because it's the #1 seller?

There is no evidence that the stolen details will be used in any malicious way (hacking is one thing, selling data is a different ball game), and if you're that worried, cancel your debit/credit cards. I won't be, because I actually read my bank statements and know that I can refute every single payment that I didn't make and get reinbursted. It's not armageddon, folks.

Niall!
27-04-2011, 12:03 PM
This is a good thing, Sony shouldn't be fighting people who are modding their PS3. I know "you can pirate games because of it blah blah" but some people use it for other things. You should be allowed to do anything with a console you purchased, not be treated as if the console was rented to you.

I'm glad people are fighting back.

dbgtz
27-04-2011, 03:17 PM
This is a good thing, Sony shouldn't be fighting people who are modding their PS3. I know "you can pirate games because of it blah blah" but some people use it for other things. You should be allowed to do anything with a console you purchased, not be treated as if the console was rented to you.

But now I can't access online just like they cant access linux (f that is the reason), so its quite hypocritcal.

Anyway I don't mind waiting for improved security.

Cwmbran
27-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I heard Sony is gonna compensate everyone by buying them an xbox.

So glad I didn't buy a ps3 earlier in the year.

Chippiewill
27-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Why not? You'd get a free xbox.

Firehorse
27-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I heard Sony is gonna compensate everyone by buying them an xbox.

That's the most idiotic thing i've ever heard

Rozi
27-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Not that I know anything about the PS3 or the Xbox but I'm gonna go out on a wild limb and suggest that it was, in fact a joke.

Technologic
27-04-2011, 06:19 PM
to be fair any company that has virtually no security is gonna get it.... i just hope no credit/debit details have been taken

Firehorse
27-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Not that I know anything about the PS3 or the Xbox but I'm gonna go out on a wild limb and suggest that it was, in fact a joke.

no ****. it's flaming thats what it is.

Camy
27-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok, I'll start off by saying I haven't read the rest of the thread, because I'm really pissed off right now, but I kind of know what the whole situation is.

I just want to know, is "SOE Commerce" on my bank statement Sony?
If so, they've got my ******* card details :@

EDIT: Nevermind, checked the rest of my account, and it actually tells you if it's going to Playstation Network.

Looks like I'm getting randomly charged by 'SOE Commerce' though.

Stephen
27-04-2011, 06:39 PM

When it comes to xbox vs ps3.. Jokes are more trolling attempts than jokes :P

Sharon
27-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Love how everyone gets so angry when it comes to Xbox jokes in a PS3 thread, calm down sweats. Take it as a good thing that your not addicted for a while.

Technologic
27-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok, I'll start off by saying I haven't read the rest of the thread, because I'm really pissed off right now, but I kind of know what the whole situation is.

EDIT: Nevermind, checked the rest of my account, and it actually tells you if it's going to Playstation Network.

SOE stands for Sony Online Entertainment i think

Firehorse
27-04-2011, 06:53 PM

When was this and how much did they take? Also to confirm what Technologic said: http://www.soe.com/ SOE indeed stands for sony online entertainment.

Swinkid
27-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I have a growing urge to trade in my PS3 for an xbox right now, this is slightly annoyed me if full credit card details got stolen.

I know this can happen to Xbox too, but alot of my mates are on xbox and atm, i cant play with what friends i do have on the PS3 right now, this just adds to the cherry on the cake.

dbgtz
27-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Apparently some people in the US have had hundreds of dollars stolen. I think they dare attempt using something international due to how obvious it would be. Assuming they are from the US of course. Anyway my dads bank would call him up and check and I think people under visa are making sure customers who are subject to fraud will get their money back so its all good.

Cwmbran
27-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Why not? You'd get a free xbox.
Already got one.

Lol chill out just trying to lighten the mood. Can't handle it go back to watching that stupid lil nyan cat over and over.

Southe,
27-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I have all 3 consoles. never touch my wii and only play cod and fifa on my xbox. Will always prefer ps3 to xbox.

And some of the trolling comments.. if it had been me posting in a certain other thread no doubt the mods would be right there telling me off. why cant the mods actually be consistent on how they moderate the forums. Sure its ok to make a joke but theres plenty of xbox vs ps3 threads out there. This should for once focus on the actual topic of the thread which dosent concern xbox.

And truth be told im not even bothered that its been down a week. Given me time to finish off some games and get tropheys.

Stephen
27-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Apparently a security research firm says that on average it costs a company around $300 per user when there's a security breach like this.. Could cost them like over $20 billion

triston220
27-04-2011, 08:39 PM

No such thing.

Camy
27-04-2011, 08:40 PM
SOE stands for Sony Online Entertainment i think

When was this and how much did they take? Also to confirm what Technologic said: http://www.soe.com/ SOE indeed stands for sony online entertainment.
That's what I thought! I just wasn't sure because I have other things on my statement that say: "Payment to Playstation Network"

This was on the 14th, and they took £9.99, I haven't even looked at my ps3 for like 3 months :@

They better be refunding people or I will not be pleased, it's put me into negative money on my account, so I'm getting charged £5 a day :/

Accipiter
27-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Thats what you get when you call yourself the unhackable console in all honesty.

Oleh
27-04-2011, 08:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9XhNn.jpg

Sony are getting sued because of the breach. ROFLMAO

A class action lawsuit was filed against Sony a day after the company publicly admitted that personal information from PlayStation Network was compromised by a security breach. The lawsuit was filed by the Rothken Law Firm today in a California court and alleges Sony "failed to take reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data."

Yesterday, Sony said it believes an unauthorized personobtained PSN user information, including members' names, addresses, birthdays, and login passwords. The company said there was no evidence that credit card information was stolen, but did not rule out that possibility.

"We brought this lawsuit on behalf of consumers to learn the full extent of Sony PlayStation Network data security practices and the data loss and to seek a remedy for consumers. We are hopeful that Sony will take this opportunity to learn from the network vulnerabilities, provide a remedy to consumers who entrusted their sensitive data to Sony, and lead the way in data security best practices going forward," said Ira P. Rothken an attorney who filed the class action complaint.

"Sony's breach of its customers' trust is staggering. Sony promised its customers that their information would be kept private. One would think that a large multinational corporation like Sony has strong protective measures in place to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of personal information, including credit card information. Apparently, Sony doesn't," commented J.R. Parker, co-counsel in the case.

The lawsuit seeks monetary compensation for the data loss and "loss of use of the Sony PlayStation Network, credit monitoring, and other relief according to proof."

Firehorse
27-04-2011, 09:42 PM
It just gets better and better for sony; although I doubt it, something like this could mean the end of playstation altogether.

That's what I thought! I just wasn't sure because I have other things on my statement that say: "Payment to Playstation Network"

This was on the 14th, and they took £9.99, I haven't even looked at my ps3 for like 3 months :@

They better be refunding people or I will not be pleased, it's put me into negative money on my account, so I'm getting charged £5 a day :/

ouch that really sucks... I thought being charged £1 a day for being overdrawn was bad! Thats charging you a 18250% interest rate. Madness!

Misawa
27-04-2011, 10:04 PM

£9.99, isn't that the price of PlayStation premium? Forget to cancel?

GommeInc
27-04-2011, 10:42 PM
A rather daft comment. An organisation like Sony no doubt had pretty good security, and they did until this happened. I'm sure Sony kept the network maintained and did not ask for payment from users because they make the money elsewhere and feel that a free service benefits them. I doubt they would of let this happen because their users "are too skint to chuck money at them to keep them safe".

It's incredibly selfish of these individuals who just want to show the world how big their e-penis is :P

Stephen
28-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I think people who are planning to sue sony are idiots lol

http://i.imgur.com/8VOCZ.jpg

N!ck
28-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Fraudulent transactions on your card aren't going to show up as SOE or PSN ;).

Zak
28-04-2011, 12:49 AM
o man some of these pictures are funny.

What I never got was, how come Sony had the resources and ability to provide their online service for free and Microsoft doesn't? Surely they should be able to provide a free service like PlayStations..

I have a ps3, I'm not worried. I'm just bummed that I can't use PSN for a while, no big deal though. I have you guys to keep me entertained :P

Neil
28-04-2011, 09:09 AM
o man some of these pictures are funny.

What I never got was, how come Sony had the resources and ability to provide their online service for free and Microsoft doesn't? Surely they should be able to provide a free service like PlayStations..

I have a ps3, I'm not worried. I'm just bummed that I can't use PSN for a while, no big deal though. I have you guys to keep me entertained :P

I think it has more to do with competition, Microsoft knew it would be hard to run a decent online service for free, Playstation Online was free for the PS2 but had like no features at all, Sony probably thought if they started charging people would complain, the fact you can not run a service like they do for free is probably why they introduced PSN+ to be honest, while they run a pretty good service, it was pretty much doomed from the start, and no, not because of hackers..

Also in reply to the multiple times I've seen people say "yes but xbox live have 12 year olds" and what not, for this reason, I don't use game chat, I use party chat while playing on xbox live, problem sorted.

Niall!
28-04-2011, 10:01 AM
You know instead of arguing that you're sticking with the PS3 because of 12 year olds on Xbox I urge you to join the PC gaming master race.

Neil
28-04-2011, 10:24 AM
You know instead of arguing that you're sticking with the PS3 because of 12 year olds on Xbox I urge you to join the PC gaming master race.

The master race of long installtion times and bi-monthly upgrades? ;)

HotelUser
28-04-2011, 11:39 AM
1. If you put your credit card in online especially when you have a high maximum and people steal it, it's your own fault.
2. Still rather use a PS3 than an Xbox.

Hecktix
28-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I think it has more to do with competition, Microsoft knew it would be hard to run a decent online service for free, Playstation Online was free for the PS2 but had like no features at all, Sony probably thought if they started charging people would complain, the fact you can not run a service like they do for free is probably why they introduced PSN+ to be honest, while they run a pretty good service, it was pretty much doomed from the start, and no, not because of hackers..

Also in reply to the multiple times I've seen people say "yes but xbox live have 12 year olds" and what not, for this reason, I don't use game chat, I use party chat while playing on xbox live, problem sorted.

Not to mention in general the PS3 has a higher pricetag than an xbox of the same specification, this extra money could perhaps be towards the online service.

Neil
28-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Not to mention in general the PS3 has a higher pricetag than an xbox of the same specification, this extra money could perhaps be towards the online service.

When the PS3 first launched every console they sold lost them money, they had no extra money to put towards the online because the console cost so much to develop and make, so no they didn't really have "extra" money to put towards online, it was all a loss from the start.

Niall!
28-04-2011, 01:22 PM
The master race of long installtion times and bi-monthly upgrades? ;)

You can't be serious can you? Sure, install times can get a little frustrating, but the what, 15 minute? wait is made up for with better controls, graphics and community. Also, I upgraded my system just last week, the first time in a year and that's only because I got the stuff cheap from a friend...

Neil
28-04-2011, 02:08 PM
You can't be serious can you? Sure, install times can get a little frustrating, but the what, 15 minute? wait is made up for with better controls, graphics and community. Also, I upgraded my system just last week, the first time in a year and that's only because I got the stuff cheap from a friend...

It was a joke, but now that you mention it.

"better controls" - Debatable, I'd rather have a joypad than using a mouse and keyboard.
"graphics" - PC graphics aren't much better than console graphics, better yes, a console couldn't match what a PC can do yet, but they're not much better.
"community" - Also debatable, I feel the PC community is full of bone headed morons that spend more time comparing RAM than they do playing games, I'd much rather have my games on a stable platform than one that requires upgrades if things get a little intense.

Firehorse
28-04-2011, 02:40 PM

"better controls" - Debatable, I'd rather have a joypad than using a mouse and keyboard.
"graphics" - PC graphics aren't much better than console graphics, better yes, a console couldn't match what a PC can do yet, but they're not much better.
"community" - Also debatable, I feel the PC community is full of bone headed morons that spend more time comparing RAM than they do playing games, I'd much rather have my games on a stable platform than one that requires upgrades if things get a little intense.

This video is as good as pc vs console in terms of what can be achieved with the right hardware:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xRJt8rcmY

And ontop of that the console version looks worse than the video on the left because it doesn't have anti aliasing.

dbgtz
28-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I think most people would use a PC if they didn't cost so much to run games at the same standard as a console. I don't mean they're equal in performance, I mean that for a £250 PS3 you'd need like a £600ish computer.

Anyway as Neil said, PS3 was launched as a loss and is only really just started to get a profit per unit. As far as I'm concerned, PS3 was just an investment console for bluray and the cell which proved to do quite a bit as bluray is expanding and the cell is being put into tvs as far as im aware.

And finally, I wish Sony would hurry up, I wanna portal 2 coop. I could do it on steam, but I'm waiting for someone who has it on ps3 but couldnt link the ps3 to steam. And despite this occuring, I won't be buying xbox live.

Camy
28-04-2011, 04:18 PM
ouch that really sucks... I thought being charged £1 a day for being overdrawn was bad! Thats charging you a 18250% interest rate. Madness!
Yeah, I really need to look at getting a new account, the one I've got is good for savings, but for everything else it's relatively crap.

£9.99, isn't that the price of PlayStation premium? Forget to cancel?
I've never bought playstation premium, can't really afford to on top of xbox live, and other stuff. They only things I've bought off of psn were a couple of old ps1 games.

I think the money in an xbox live subscription might go towards them getting exclusives, and perhaps going towards better security measures, and stuff of that nature, but who knows who much better their security is, we'll need to wait and see if the hackers/anonymous decide to hack live next or not. Also microsoft aren't going to miss out on an opportunity to make money.

Lol, I've played on both consoles, and I play on pc now and again for the mods and stuff, and although I would say overall pc is better, the community is full of elitists who all think they're amazing and don't take well to new players, especially if you start beating them at the game they're so amazing at.

Chippiewill
28-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Was just listening to a security podcast, apparently they stored details such as passwords unhashed...

Needless to say... that's dumb.

Ajthedragon
28-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Sony will sort it out. And until such a time I'll be annoyed my Gran Turismo 5 won't be getting any updates. ;)

GommeInc
28-04-2011, 05:30 PM
You get them on the PS3 anyway. Many a time I've played Red Dead Redemption and been met with screaming 12 years old :P

Was just listening to a security podcast, apparently they stored details such as passwords unhashed...

Needless to say... that's dumb.
Is a bit. The internet has been a buzz with unprotected details. The iPhone has been attacked for it, and another company was in trouble recently too. The case with PSN is a bit more serious though :P

Stephen!
29-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Sony admits utter PSN failure: your personal data has been stolen.

What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars?utm_source=Ars+Technica+Newsletter&utm_campaign=44f8bc2720-April_29_2011_Newsletter&utm_medium=email

user130523
29-04-2011, 08:14 PM
what idiots

Stephen
29-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Meh. It was pretty obvious that it had all been stolen. Guess it assures us but doesn't really surprise me. If only they had given the first warning as soon as they thought there might of been someone with all our details but oh well. Doesn't really affect me except psn being off. Used an old email, old password, old card etc so I'm all good!

dbgtz
29-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Meh. It was pretty obvious that it had all been stolen. Guess it assures us but doesn't really surprise me. If only they had given the first warning as soon as they thought there might of been someone with all our details but oh well. Doesn't really affect me except psn being off. Used an old email, old password, old card etc so I'm all good!

card data was encrypted so :L

apparently the addresses and that are easy to find so that doesn't bother me and the password I used is purely used for psn so thats good, and the dob is fake so its all good.

Stephen!
29-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Australian Man First PSN Victim of Credit Card Fraud

Adelaide man Rory Spreckley checked his banking details on Wednesday and got a shock: $2000 in new charges on his credit card. Spreckley noted a number of $1 transactions on the 23rd - usually a test for hackers to see if the card is a viable source for fraud. Following those transactions, Spreckley saw "including domestic flights within Australia, bookings at Best Westerns [hotels] and what not."

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/04/28/report-australian-man-first-psn-victim-credit-card-fraud

Recursion
29-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Will be getting my card cancelled asap then. Luckily I don't think I've ever used my new VISA card on PSN, but can never be too sure.

Sony better pay up for this, although I think that link is just a coincodence above ^^.

N!ck
29-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, the card I used is cancelled now but it's such a shame that this happened :(.

Eoin247
29-04-2011, 10:59 PM

To be fair the really good gaming computers can beat consoles by quite a bit. That said the difference in price doesn't justify the huge price increase i think.

I feel kinda bad for sony. This is going to send their loss before profit plan right down the toilet.

:.:kaytay:.:
29-04-2011, 11:32 PM
1. I hate Xbox; costs to much.
2. I hate PS's ; cause of this
3. I Love wii; Free <3

Hiro
30-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Homeland Security looking into PSN outage
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6310929.html

Recursion
30-04-2011, 07:42 AM

Try playing an FPS on a console against someone playing the same FPS on a recent gaming computer, your controls wouldn't be a patch on a mouse and keyboard, they're a lot more accurate than any control anyone can produce, most console FPS games have some sort of autoaim to compensate. If you want to get better graphics... well, we can, just upgrade our graphics cards as opposed to having to wait 5+ years for a new console to be released. Also the community... Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but also not quite at the same time... there's a massive community over at places like steamcommunity.com and dedicated community sites like that.

Swinkid
30-04-2011, 08:22 AM
CV numbers wern't stolen since there not stored, other numbers such as ur CC Number was encrypted, so im just waiting too see what happens before i cancel my card..

dbgtz
30-04-2011, 09:36 AM
1. I hate Xbox; costs to much.
2. I hate PS's ; cause of this
3. I Love wii; Free <3

No offense but what has this got to do with anything? Doesnt an xbox arcade cost as much as a wii anyway? And you've hated PS3s forever because you predicted this event? what?

Anyway I just wish they'd hurry the hell up.

sweet
30-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Ah, so this is what my friend was moaning about a couple of days ago.. oh well, better safe than sorry.

samsaBEAR
30-04-2011, 10:32 AM
No offense but what has this got to do with anything? Doesnt an xbox arcade cost as much as a wii anyway? And you've hated PS3s forever because you predicted this event? what?

Anyway I just wish they'd hurry the hell up.
I think they were talking about the online service prices, not the actual console prices

dbgtz
30-04-2011, 04:21 PM
father just got charged £6/7 for xbox live but the card expired for that 2 years ago and was never renewed
uh oh.

Stephen
30-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Why when I see people type mother and father without my at the beginning do I think of them as some posh **** lol

I think they were talking about the online service prices, not the actual console prices

Yeah I think they were talking about the servicessss

dbgtz
01-05-2011, 08:39 AM
well sony is offering some nice things by the looks of it

Central components of the "Welcome Back" programme will include:

Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
Q Music Unlimited subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item369506/PlayStation-Network-Restoration-Update/

It also says about how some things will be back up this week and crap.

samsaBEAR
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item369506/PlayStation-Network-Restoration-Update/

'Selected content' will be something ******* terrible that isn't selling well, like a PS1 games or something. Sony should give everyone the choice of say, a game and one bit of DLC or something

alex 1889
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I always thought Sony were too massive for this kind of stuff.

dbgtz
01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
'Selected content' will be something ******* terrible that isn't selling well, like a PS1 games or something. Sony should give everyone the choice of say, a game and one bit of DLC or something

selected content is probably whats on offer for the playstation plus at the time.

Jibbish
01-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Im guessing it would be up to the developer or publisher of said game & DLC if they want it to be released for free, no way would there be a choice of any game on the store.

Good gesture by Sony tbh while further advertising PS+, as the free 30 days may encourage some to renew. Of course Sony didn't have to or owe us anything so all its probably damage limitation and control

Chris
02-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Central components of the "Welcome Back" programme will include:
Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
Q Music Unlimited subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

I think thats a fair offer to psn users, at least they're willing to give something back to the community.

Stephen!
03-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Sony hit with 2nd attack, loses 12,700CC numbers

Following up on this morning's news that Sony Online Entertainment servers were offline across the board, Japanese newspaper Nikkei reports (via BGR) that the company has lost 12,700 customer credit card numbers as the result of an attack. The company apparently took SOE servers offline after learning of the attack last evening, but has yet to issue a statement confirming that customer information has been lost.

Of the 12,700 total, 4,300 are alleged to be from Japan, while the remainder's origins are unknown. The report also notes that the data stolen was from 2007, which Engadget posits could mean this was simply stolen data from an old backup.

The report doesn't mention whether last night's supposed breach is connected to the recent incidents involving Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, though an SOE representative told Joystiq that official comment would be coming from the company "within the hour."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/02/sony-hit-with-second-attack-loses-12-700-credit-card-nu/

JerseySafety
03-05-2011, 01:19 AM
haha. thats why you dont bother trying to trust sony & playstation.

xbox/microsoft ftw. bill gates :)

smiffy70
03-05-2011, 06:42 AM
soz if been posted but cba to read whole thing :/

isnt the difference between microsoft and sony that microsoft have like 20000 firewalls and sony just have a masterkey (which has been hacked already)? i mean in a hacking situation i think microsoft would get to to the problem faster

Calvin
14-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Anyone have updates on this and when it's coming back? I honestly wouldn't mind selling my PS3 now and perhaps buy an Xbox.

Stephen!
14-05-2011, 06:25 PM
End of the month. 31st May

Calvin
14-05-2011, 06:29 PM
End of the month. 31st MayAlright, cheers. And I kinda feel like playing it too which sucks.

Conservative,
14-05-2011, 06:34 PM
soz if been posted but cba to read whole thing :/

isnt the difference between microsoft and sony that microsoft have like 20000 firewalls and sony just have a masterkey (which has been hacked already)? i mean in a hacking situation i think microsoft would get to to the problem faster

The difference is Microsoft has been hacked already. Neither have more superior/better protection than the other. They're both prone to these attacks.

On Wednesday when I went to sign in to check - it came up with a new thing that said "register" but then it said "an error has occured" then it went back to the maintenance screen about 30 mins later.

dbgtz
14-05-2011, 07:08 PM
End of the month. 31st May

thats for everything, as far as im aware they're trying to get the basic online play on sooner.

Zak
14-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm defiantly making the jump from Playstation to Xbox when the new Xbox comes out. This whole epidemic is a joke now. :(

Ajthedragon
14-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I think a lot of you rely on your playstation's too much. |-)

It must be tough facing the real world. :rolleyes:

I've been fine without my PS3. It's just one of these things, can't be helped.

Nemo
14-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I think a lot of you rely on your playstation's too much. |-)

It must be tough facing the real world. :rolleyes:

I've been fine without my PS3. It's just one of these things, can't be helped.
I cant tell if you're trolling or not? People buy a playstation because they enjoy games. Not everyone who plays video games plays them to escape the harshness of reality, no, some people actually have pretty nice lives. Maybe when they're recovering from a hangover or just before a night out they want a quick game online, no wait, they cant. Dont be stupid.

People arent killing themselves over it, but its a service that you expect when you pay for the ps3, so obviously people are going to be angered by it, especially with all us smug xbox people loling at you

Ajthedragon
15-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I cant tell if you're trolling or not? People buy a playstation because they enjoy games. Not everyone who plays video games plays them to escape the harshness of reality, no, some people actually have pretty nice lives. Maybe when they're recovering from a hangover or just before a night out they want a quick game online, no wait, they cant. Dont be stupid.

People arent killing themselves over it, but its a service that you expect when you pay for the ps3, so obviously people are going to be angered by it, especially with all us smug xbox people loling at you

Wasn't intentionally trolling, nor complying people are killing themselves over it. However when you see posts like the following below it's a little bit sad given the situation cannot be helped and the chances of it happening are the same for all consoles. I didn't comply people bought them to escape the harshness of reality... and I hope smug xbox people have it happen to a service they DO pay for.

I'm defiantly making the jump from Playstation to Xbox when the new Xbox comes out. This whole epidemic is a joke now. :(

Firehorse
15-05-2011, 06:06 PM
It's back online, store is still down though.

Technologic
15-05-2011, 06:07 PM
not played my ps3 since like january so this has had nooo effect on me.... migrated to steam lolol

TonyBest
15-05-2011, 06:17 PM
It is now WORKING! I just got prompted to change my pw on my ps3 account

Richie
15-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Wasn't intentionally trolling, nor complying people are killing themselves over it. However when you see posts like the following below it's a little bit sad given the situation cannot be helped and the chances of it happening are the same for all consoles. I didn't comply people bought them to escape the harshness of reality... and I hope smug xbox people have it happen to a service they DO pay for.

Surely you can understand why zak is angry? If you had web hosting with a company and their servers crashed for two months, you'd more than likely be looking for another company that has better support and security.

But no that's different with hardware ~sarcasm~

Stephen
15-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Surely you can understand why zak is angry? If you had web hosting with a company and their servers crashed for two months, you'd more than likely be looking for another company that has better support and security.

but it's not something that happens all the time. PSN is obviously going to be much securer now this has happened anyway

Ajthedragon
15-05-2011, 06:45 PM

All very well but Xbox don't have better support and security. It could happen to any of them. Plus with Xbox you pay directly for the service, so you'd be even more pissed.

TonyBest
15-05-2011, 07:04 PM
At least its back so now I can finally kill some more zombies and kill people on Mortal Kombat 9

Nemo
15-05-2011, 07:11 PM
All very well but Xbox don't have better support and security. It could happen to any of them. Plus with Xbox you pay directly for the service, so you'd be even more pissed.
Out if interest, where are you getting this information or are you just making it up? How exactly do you know their security is no better than ps3's was? Are you some insane hacker or what?

Camy
15-05-2011, 07:27 PM
The whole thing with xbox is you pay for better quality support, security, exclusives etc.. Also I'm pretty sure I read that psn's security had nothing on live's. It was something to do with psn only having like one master code, and live being behind so many firewalls.

Chippiewill
15-05-2011, 07:36 PM
The whole thing with xbox is you pay for better quality support, security, exclusives etc.. Also I'm pretty sure I read that psn's security had nothing on live's. It was something to do with psn only having like one master code, and live being behind so many firewalls.

a) Multiple firewalls would really achieve nothing
b) All security information is soley speculation since both companies have the common sense that for security NOT TO RELEASE DETAILS.

Calvin
15-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Had a game earlier, then came back now and Black Ops is down.

TonyBest
15-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Problem: Playstation Network is now back down, itll probs be fixed later tonight or early tomorrow (hopefully)

Found this message on twitter posted 12 mins ago (at time of edit):
Please bear with us as we continue working on #PSN restoration. We are experiencing extremely heavy traffic.

GommeInc
16-05-2011, 10:49 PM
The main difference here was that it wasn't Sony's fault that they got hacked. If you want to be mad at something, blame the imbesiles who ruined the whole Sony Experience by hacking the servers :P If I had web hosting and the host died, I would be angry as they should be able to resolve it. IF, however, my web hosting went down due to a cyber attack outside of their control, I wouldn't be angry at them but the twits who lack any sort of life and prefer to spend their time ruining the fun and excitement of online gameplay for everyone for their own personal gain and their attempts at enlarging their cyber-penis.

And people should really stop mentioning how you pay for online on the Xbox for security. No where in the ToS, T&C and service information suggests that the money you pay for online gameplay on the Xbox goes straight into security, especially when Microsoft were attacked not so long ago too. It's such a weak, fruitless argument :P

Ajthedragon
17-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Out if interest, where are you getting this information or are you just making it up? How exactly do you know their security is no better than ps3's was? Are you some insane hacker or what?

Honestly if a hacker wants to hack one of them, I'm pretty sure they can get through any firewall they want if they want to devote a lot of time to it. And yes the PS3 had weaker security, but that doesn't mean Xbox's is so much better.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5663/could-xbox-live-be-hacked - By denying to comment would they potentially be worried about security themselves?

Recursion
17-05-2011, 07:30 AM
No, smart people don't disclose information on their security practices.

GommeInc
18-05-2011, 12:39 AM
No, smart people don't disclose information on their security practices.
Nor should they show too much concern as it makes them a target :P

TonyBest
18-05-2011, 06:43 PM
EDIT: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/18/update-on-psn-password-reset-process/

Stephen!
20-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Sony attacked again.

As reported by the security firm F-Secure today, the official homepage of Sony Thailand is being used to host a phishing site for an Italian credit card company. "Basically this means that Sony has been hacked," writes F-Secure. The other attack is more malicious. About 100,000 yen ($1,225) was stolen from Sony customer accounts in Japan, reports Reuters. An intruder reportedly penetrated Sony's online infrastructure and stole virtual points from account holders.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/sony-hit-two-cyber-attacks-162227553.html

GommeInc
22-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Sony attacked again.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/sony-hit-two-cyber-attacks-162227553.html
Seems restrained to a small area though, and there isn't any information that could suggest the same will/would happen to EU/US etc. Depends if the same system Sony Thailand use is the same as Sony EU/UK/US.

JerseySafety
22-05-2011, 07:43 AM
This is going to be very interesting.

Who knows, it might shut down for good. I mean; they'll have to seeing they can't do much about it. The world is coming to an end :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!