PDA

View Full Version : 24,753 bots banned

Richie
27-04-2011, 02:07 AM
It's been a regular source of feedback on the Rants forum that people would like to be able to see even a little bit of the impact we have upon people who use macro/3rd Party Software within our game.

Whilst we have previously - and always shall - kept our 'behind-the-scenes' systems a matter of privacy, I hope that this thread will be able to go some way towards proving our no-tolerance, proactive stance towards removing cheaters from the game.

A fact that should also be considered is that on top of the total number of names we gather in the bot busting sessions alone, every single account that is linked with the accounts investigated will also have a full investigation carried out upon them. We can link accounts in multiple ways - which again, we cannot go into - and people who think that they can get away with having 'secret' accounts will be very sorely disappointed.

The bolded quote is very interesting, I wonder are they just trying to frighten people into stopping or do they genuinely mean it? I know tones of people that do this and if you're one of those who do, are you afraid this might actually be true and your main account may get banned?

Fair play to Jagex for actually making some effort, hopefully it'll be an on going process. They're making a tough decession, more money or a happier community.

Thoughts?

Link:
http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=5nQsVWigCR8/forums.ws?129,130,241,62642440,goto,1

Thomas
27-04-2011, 06:14 AM
thats pretty impressive tbh, when they actually try they get it done well about 5% of the bots banned which are probably botting again just on new accounts..

Imo if there trying to stop botting they can't keep banning accounts they have to get rid of the bots which would need legal work?
i think there taking the wrong approach to this botting situation, banning the accounts doesn't solve anything really, They will just go and make a new account the next day get membership if thats needed and click start.

raspberrys
27-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Non of the people i know have had there mains banned when they've botted side accounts for GP. I think it's another scare tactic and really can't tackle all the bots.

halo-103
27-04-2011, 07:18 AM
They've tried before to get rid of the bots although all that happened is ***** got turned into ******** and ibot ***** didn't even have any change.. they banned a few smaller botting communities with threats but nothing more than that.

as for mains being banned i havent seen / heard anything of it yet so until i do i suppose its **? :/

E/ hmm didnt realise i wasnt allowed to say any of that :S oops

Kyle
27-04-2011, 09:31 AM
It's very rare that a main account is banned or rolled back for botting on another account but it certainly does happen. Tom, they *are* taking legal action against botting companies. You may have noticed a few bot companies being shut down in the past because of this. Obviously they can't stop all bots but it's good to see that they do take notice of the community and take some action.

He mentions that this is from bot busts alone backing up my point in another threads that there isn't really a solid bot detection system and that they are simply relying on player-made reports for the most part.

:.justben.:
27-04-2011, 11:34 AM
i sorry for botting and i think its good there banning bots now

IceNineKills
27-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm safe so it's all ok.

Stephen
27-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Tbh I don't think they're doing as much as they say. Most of that was an obvious scare attempt

IceNineKills
27-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Not the first time they've done that though, it's getting rather boring.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!