PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of University.

PaulMacC
27-04-2011, 01:30 PM
As much as I cannot wait to get out of Belfast. I'm afraid. I'll either be going to Lancaster or Staffordshire in October. I know nobody. In Lancaster, I know Jake and Robbie but I've never ever met them in real life, ha. It'll be a new experience for sure but I'm just afraid of leaving a place where I know so many people and being thrown into somewhere where I know absolutely nobody (bar 1-2 people if I go to Lanc)

Jssy
27-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Well it could be a good thing. You'll be meeting new people and have the chance to make new friends :)

Inseriousity.
27-04-2011, 01:35 PM
The thing you have to remember is that there'll be hundreds of people in exactly the same boat. Generally, everyone gets on well during freshers then things settle down and the cliques form so its good to make sure you make the most of freshers and get to know new people. :)

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Catzsy
27-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Well I didn't move but knew no-one on the course I started. I was quite nervous and apprehensive but seriously there are so many people around that have the same interests and lots in common with you that it takes about 5 minutes to make friends. You will have the time of your life especially during Freshers!. :D

Samantha
27-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I felt the same about College after not being 'friendly' with many people at my old school I was scared, luckily Phil (Dilusionate) made me believe I would make new friends and fit right in, and he was right! It may just take a little time to get used to it. :). Good luck!

N!ck
27-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Knowing nobody is a good thing and pretty much everybody else is in the same situation. You'll literally meed hundreds of new people in the first week alone. Way more people than you can remember the name of and pretty much nobody will remember your name for a few days anyway :P.

cocaine
27-04-2011, 05:44 PM
thats whats so good about university, you know absolutely no one. thats what freshers is for!

Chippiewill
27-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Just think of all the good things though:

- No Pearse
- No Pearse changing your minecraft character to a Mankini
- No Pearse
- No Pearse building rubbish cobblestone stuff
- No Pearse

See, your life will be so much better.

Fez
27-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Just think of all the good things though:

- No Pearse
- No Pearse changing your minecraft character to a Mankini
- No Pearse
- No Pearse building rubbish cobblestone stuff
- No Pearse

See, your life will be so much better.

Don't forget.

no pearse

Metric1
27-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Live in rez and participate in frosh activities. You'll make friends

Angel-Light
28-04-2011, 11:01 PM
You'll be fine :P The people I met on my first day at Uni are now my friends for life (about to go into 4th year)

Plus the fact you are moving out then you will meet lots of new people who will be just as scared as you are :)

BIG TIP: Get to know the people doing your course, handy when it comes to assignment time ;)

RyRy
29-04-2011, 12:58 AM
thats whats so good about university, you know absolutely no one. thats what freshers is for!

This.

The people you live in halls with will be your best friends, and I got to know more friends through their friends who became my friends and then going to random social events you jump bump into people. Trust me, I got into some... ****** up situations this year and ended up meeting some nice peeps. That's what uni is for really, it's unpredictable and you hear some things and think that'd never happen to you, but it really does eventually. Funny times, you'll love it. If you go Staffordshire, enjoy your sausage fest but decent as **** nightclubs Couture in Stafford is quite possibly *the* best place I've ever been to for clubbing, even more so now they've got the drum n bass nights on.

Haven't been out in Lancaster so I can't give you much on that, but you'll enjoy it either way espesh if you've got those two geeks. People may recognise you for doing your machinimas too, you'll probably have a little fanbase on campus ;)

ifuseekamy
29-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Everyone is in the same boat, you can't really afford to be shy and lock yourself in your room. People are desperate to make friends in fresher's week.

JackBuddy
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I was apprehensive before moving out to uni too, but I haven't looked back since. Everybody is chucked into the deep end and is in the same position. Most importantly it has been a huge life lesson for me- the newfound freedom, independance and social aspects made me a much more confident person.

PaulMacC
03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
This.

The people you live in halls with will be your best friends, and I got to know more friends through their friends who became my friends and then going to random social events you jump bump into people. Trust me, I got into some... ****** up situations this year and ended up meeting some nice peeps. That's what uni is for really, it's unpredictable and you hear some things and think that'd never happen to you, but it really does eventually. Funny times, you'll love it. If you go Staffordshire, enjoy your sausage fest but decent as **** nightclubs Couture in Stafford is quite possibly *the* best place I've ever been to for clubbing, even more so now they've got the drum n bass nights on.

Haven't been out in Lancaster so I can't give you much on that, but you'll enjoy it either way espesh if you've got those two geeks. People may recognise you for doing your machinimas too, you'll probably have a little fanbase on campus ;)

Ha hope so. Habbox massive on tour @ Lanc.
I shall see. For now I need to get the head down and study for exams. I'm looking forward it though. Just not looking forward to leaving all my friends behind :(

Niall!
03-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Well good luck gathering the courage to meet them since you managed to avoid me for what, two years?

Shoe
09-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Most people have to experience this step in life I guess its just part of growing up :/

Im only going to a local universit and im still dreading it tbh :/

Zak
09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
It's easy to make friends Paul I wouldn't worry. People in university are really grown up and nice, a lot of people are foreign in my course too. They're all so pleasant and polite (even if some of them are a tad hard to understand!)

I was apprehensive when i started university too, although I don't stay there it was still a big change as I didn't know anyone either. I soon made friends with lots of my course, even if it isn't a close relationship I still talk to a good 50 people, if not more. A lot of them will be in the same situation as you remember, so you're not alone :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!