PDA

View Full Version : Spotify now iPod friendly, mobile apps available for free users

RyRy
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
http://mashable.com/2011/05/04/spotify-music-download-service/

Spotify has launched a music download store for its users, added iPod syncing to its desktop application and opened up its mobile apps to non-subscribers.

Up until now, Spotify was a streaming-only service; while it was possible to upload your Spotify playlist on an iPod as audio files, it was not an easy task. Now, Spotify lets you manage your iPod classic, nano or shuffle in its desktop application, sync your playlists with these devices and download MP3s through Spotify’s new download service.

As far as pricing goes, you can buy 100 tracks for €60, 40 tracks for €30, 15 tracks for €12.99 or 10 tracks for €9.99. If you choose the biggest bundle, the price for the single track is just €0.60.

Finally, Spotify has opened its mobile apps to users of its free service (so far, they were only available to premium subscribers). Now, Spotiy Free users can download and install the Spotify iPhone and Android app, buy tracks and wirelessly sync their MP3 playlists from their computer to their phone or iPod touch.

With its 9 million users in Europe and these new features, Spotify has become a full-fledged competitor to iTunes, but it still hasn’t solved its biggest problem yet: licensing and availability in the U.S. Once Spotify manages to overcome that obstacle, it’ll be interesting to see Apple’s response.

The new features will begin being rolled out to users today as part of an automatic update.

Pretty good move by Spotify, especially after the upset they've caused to many of their members for adding limits. It was always going to be more orientated towards paying for tracks, free things never last. But it's a good move nonetheless, would be mint if we could sync playlists we've made using local tracks to our iPod/iPhones through Spotify. Dunno if we can do that yet, but that would be *ace*.

Edited by Catz (Forum Super Moderator): Thread moved from 'Technology Discussion' to here as probably more suitable

Recursion
04-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Spotify already does the local file stuff :P

IMO This doesn't make anything better after they b0rked the free accounts, it's just ways to make them money now, which is fair enough as a business, but I can see why people think they sold out.

RyRy
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I know they do local file stuff, but I wonder if they do iPod classic, nano blah blah local playlist syncing instead of having to just buy it! They didn't sell out though, if they're gonna break into the US then they've gotta do something about how much they're earning as a company. I doubt they could provide for Europe and US with the freedom they once provided.

Tis good they've made all the mobile apps for free users though, that's pretty nice of them when it was really the only exclusive thing to premium users.

peteyt
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Spotify already does the local file stuff :P

IMO This doesn't make anything better after they b0rked the free accounts, it's just ways to make them money now, which is fair enough as a business, but I can see why people think they sold out.

I gather it was either Sell out or close and they chose the best option really. Sadly nothing in life is free and a business needs to earn.

Recursion
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I gather it was either Sell out or close and they chose the best option really. Sadly nothing in life is free and a business needs to earn.

Well no, they were doing just fine, they were being pushed into making more money by the record labels, they could have easily fought them by the amount of advertising revenue they get.

RyRy
04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Well no, they were doing just fine, they were being pushed into making more money by the record labels, they could have easily fought them by the amount of advertising revenue they get.

Hard to say no when they're the main supplier of what you're providing :P

peteyt
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM

And if the record labels had said fine you can't use our stuff then what? I'm sure they would have signed a contract and if that contract ended and they didn't resign Spotify would be useless to most.

Janet Snakehole
04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
This makes me happy. I'm a little gutted the free service is now extremely limited however like peteyt said, a business does need to earn and nothing lasts forever - especially if it's free.

Recursion
04-05-2011, 05:47 PM
This makes me happy. I'm a little gutted the free service is now extremely limited however like peteyt said, a business does need to earn and nothing lasts forever - especially if it's free.

So services like Google Mail, YouTube and Habbox will go paid only eh? Advertising is a widely used form of income, it's proven, and it works.

Mark
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm guessing purchasing a whole playlist is only in the US?

Red
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
this doesn't really make up for it imo. :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!