PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Dispute

Alexx..
07-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I was wondering if I have a case to open a dispute on paypal.

I sent a deposit for a tattoo a week or so ago, and I decided I didn't want it yet so I asked for a refund and they emailed me back today and said it was non-refundable. That would have been fine if they mentioned it was non-refundable earlier. They just said it was a £60 deposit.

Do I have a case for opening a dispute cause they never told me it was non-refundable?

(I have emails to prove that they never mentioned the words "non-refundable")

Richie
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I was wondering if I have a case to open a dispute on paypal.

I sent a deposit for a tattoo a week or so ago, and I decided I didn't want it yet so I asked for a refund and they emailed me back today and said it was non-refundable. That would have been fine if they mentioned it was non-refundable earlier. They just said it was a £60 deposit.

Do I have a case for opening a dispute cause they never told me it was non-refundable?

(I have emails to prove that they never mentioned the words "non-refundable")

You could always try, you got nothing to lose (apart from £60) :P I think the ball may be on their half though :( Just tell paypal you never received your product.

Stephen
07-05-2011, 06:09 PM
yeah just tell them you didn't get your tattoo through the post lol

or say that you might of been hacked and that you didn't pay it

Alexx..
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
i can't do that cause i have an email saying that i paid it to them haha

i sent paypal an email asking if i have a case, but idk if not i'll just reschedule it.

VelvetClover
07-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Isn't that the whole point of a deposit, that if you suddenly decide you don't want, in your case the tattoo, that the tattoo place keeps the deposit?

Alexx..
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, if they've already drew the design etc but I hadn't even chose a date.

@K
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Mate, a deposit is a deposit, your not getting it back and to be honest, it's your fault because you paid the DEPOSIT.

redtom
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
You have no chance. Deposits are exactly for this situation. If deposits were refundable in these situations then they would be pointless.
Refundable deposits are normally found in situations as a form of insurance of damages (for example renting a flat or a car, you would lose the deposit if something was damaged.) Where as in this case deposits are there to put people off ordering/booking tattoos unless there 100% sure because it messes with there schedule and staff.

Don't be a **** and dispute it just because its an easy thing to do, at the end of the day you shouldn't of ordered something you don't want thus messing people about.

If you haven't chosen a date yet just put it off for as long as possible and when the time comes you can decided if you really want it or not.

Hecktix
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
It's law to state whether a deposit is non-refundable due to there being many different types of deposits. I would try it :)

kasi
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
it should be common sense that deposits are non refundable
deposits/down-payments for anything are non refundable

Catzsy
07-05-2011, 08:10 PM
The idea of a deposit is to compensate for any inconvenience or losses caused by cancellation.
If there hasn't been any inconvenience or loss then you should be able to get some of it back.
They probably had to pay Paypal commission on your payment so that is one loss they could deduct. They also should have made it clear that deposits are non refundable in my view. I would try for a refund on that basis and see if you can negotiate some of it back.

redtom
07-05-2011, 08:25 PM
That's the idea be hide deposit yes but in actual fact when you hand over the deposit you agree to the loss of it upon cancellation of services. (Holidays, Event bookings, Rentals - all examples which abide by the same rules)

Hecktix
07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
That's the idea be hide deposit yes but in actual fact when you hand over the deposit you agree to the loss of it upon cancellation of services.

They need to state whether it's non-refundable, there are many different types of deposit. A lot of places like that ask for a deposit to ensure you are serious (if you aren't serious you wouldn't put £60 down) but if you cancel within good time of the appointment you get your money back. I think they have conned her here.

redtom
07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Neither of us know what she agree to exactly, but common sense would imply when you hand over a deposit in a situation like this you're never going to see it again. It could of been somewhere on their website or in small print in an email, or even verbal any of them means she has no chance but as I said we don't know for sure with out more information. If she really wants her money back she can try but I personally she that as pathetic (not the exact word I was looking for, don't mean to be rude.) You can't go around messing people about, once you agree to something and you hand over a deposit either go through with it or lose your money.

If your under 18 you could have a parent contact paypal and tell them this meaning the contact between you and the tattoo company would be invalid. But then again this could back fire meaning you get your account closed and still lose the money.

EDIT: just checked trading standards I knew I remembered something from taking law :L on the first page pretty much less then 3 lines down it says this...

if you change your mind for whatever reason a trader DOES NOT HAVE TO GIVE YOU YOUR DESPOT BACK

Note the underline and capitals were both on the page.

Also its the opposite of what your saying, if the deposit is refundable you the customer has you make sure when handing the despoit over, the trader does not have to inform you, if they don't its considered that it is not refundable

Alexx..
07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
You guys can keep arguing and stuff but i've decided on getting it so yeah :')

redtom
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Edit: nvm miss read the previous. What are you getting and is it your first?

samsaBEAR
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
we're all arguing over the wrong point. the point is, why would you send a deposit for a tattoo over paypal?

Conservative,
07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Deposits can be different. For example I know that my mother has paid a deposit you get back (such as keys to something), but also deposits to book stuff in advance - saying you're interested.

I think you've got a pretty good case - they haven't stated whether it was refundable or not and therefore by law it should be refundable (as Oli said - they have to state if it's not). It may be common sense that it's not - but then you haven't booked a time, or had a design made or anything so it hasn't caused the tattoo place any inconvenience.

But Samsa has a point, why send it over PayPal?

Alexx..
07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
we're all arguing over the wrong point. the point is, why would you send a deposit for a tattoo over paypal?

Because i live a fair distance away from the tattoo artist, and i'm not travelling for ages to pay a deposit.

samsaBEAR
07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Because i live a fair distance away from the tattoo artist, and i'm not travelling for ages to pay a deposit.
i see. what are you getting done anyway?

Alexx..
08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
i see. what are you getting done anyway?

i'm getting some roses on the inside of my arm for my 18th

Oleh
10-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Can't you just contact them and arrange a different date?

Firehorse
10-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Although the whole point of a "deposit" is showing you're committed to paying fully later and won't just walk away, so claiming it back without going through with it kind of defeats the point. Although it's worth a shot trying to get your cash back, don't think the tattoo parlour/person will be too pleased :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!