PDA

View Full Version : Old games > new games.

PaulMacC
09-05-2011, 03:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ
amirite?
Don't comment unless you owned anything below N64/PS1/Dreamcast

Thomas
09-05-2011, 05:17 AM
i did have a N64 and PS1 :)

Ajthedragon
09-05-2011, 07:17 AM
I had my cousins SNES. Loved Mario on it. Older than the 64. ;)

Fez
09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
We only think they're better given they're from a childhood. Honestly, a damn lot of them haven't aged well.

For me it's old games = new games.

Neversoft
09-05-2011, 04:15 PM
What Fez said. It's a case of whatever you grew up with, really. I feel they're better because they're nostalgic and back then everything always seemed new and exciting, but these days it's just a constant surge of FPS games and online play with annoying little kids. Maybe I just grew out of games, but these days none of them really interest me like they did back in the day.

Red
09-05-2011, 04:17 PM
wewp super mario and donkey kong for the snes

Oleh
09-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Sonic on dreamcast, Track and field on ps1, Pokemon colleseum on n64 :D

Outrun on megadrive :)

samsaBEAR
10-05-2011, 12:57 AM
i don't think old games are better than new games, having said that i do miss how much time was spent on single player games like Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid and the like, now all the dev's seem to focus on multiplayer. id much rather play an epic single player over multiplayer every day

Firehorse
10-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I think it depends more on how well the idea for a game has been put to production. As Fez mentioned, it's likely a phsycological connection with old games we knew and loved as children which is why we are fonder of them than others who didn't grow up with them might be. Newer games such as Gears of War or CoD may mean to the younger children of today what the games of ps1 and gameboy (etc) color meant to us when we were younger.

If i'm honest I do like playing some old games such as the italian job or crash bandicoot, but they're not things i'd buy today or spend a long time on, because when you take a closer look they're all very similar in game mechanics - sometimes not even depending on gametype. I only use them for a past blast. There's no doubt they formed the way for current games but I wouldn't call them better.

crazed
10-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Sonic on dreamcast, Track and field on ps1, Pokemon colleseum on n64 :D

Outrun on megadrive :)

*pokémon stadium

I dunno. There were a lot of brilliant old games but there are games now that are equally as good. I don't mean the stuff that gets hyped up like black ops, because that is a pile of ****. I mean stuff like... Failing to think of examples right now but there are plenty of recent games I've played that I've really enjoyed and made me feel like a child once more.

Southe,
11-05-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsmXVfnAII&feature=related

Waiting for Ape escape 1-3 to be released in a 3 in 1 Ps3 Game like other series.

peteyt
14-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah I think what you where brought up with is a key factor. For example I hate most film remakes, usually because I've seen the original first and that's what I'm fond of and the remakes never live up to the same standard, but at the same time I've seen a few remakes before the original and I've preferred them.

However I do think a lot of games are generic at the moment. I wrote a review about GoldenEye for the Wii a little bit ago on here. While the game was okay, it just felt like a kind of Call of Duty Clone to me, and didn't give the same feel that the original did for the N64, which to me still is amazing today. Makes me wish I hadn't stupidly sold my N64 but I needed the cash lol.

Games are advancing but a lot of games just seem to attach themselves to other games and try to be similar. While this obviously happened with the n64 and ps1 games, it does sometimes feel like they where trying to make something more creative while as now it can sometimes be either just graphics or just a clone of something else.

I really loved Zelda Ocarina of Time for the n64. Never did complete it in the end, but I could play for hours on it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!