PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to announce Skype acquisition later today

xxMATTGxx
10-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Microsoft has finalized its talks with Skype and will announce a deal later today, according to reports.

The software giant will announce its acquisition of Skype in hours, a deal valued at around $8 billion according to the Wall Street Journal. Microsoft’s acquisition will provide the company with a key communications tool and a healthy user base. It’s not immediately clear how Microsoft plans to integrate Skype into its existing communications tools, like Windows Live Messenger and Lync, but Steve Ballmer will unveil the full details of the acquisition at around 8AM EDT.

Microsoft has recently announced two key partnerships with rival firms. Nokia inked a deal that will see the company produce Windows Phone smartphones next year. The deal will boost Microsoft’s mobile credentials and could cement a strong market share for Windows Phone over the next few years. Microsoft also agreed a deal with BlackBerry manufacturer RIM that will see the company use Bing on its upcoming handsets. Microsoft’s Bing integration will be built directly into future versions of BlackBerry OS, allowing owners to search from their lock screens and use Bing maps for local search and directions. Microsoft is notorious for big partnerships and acquisitions but has typically shied away from big acquisitions in recent years. All Things Digital points out that Skype’s debt is $686 million, just under what Microsoft lost from its Online Services division in its most recent quarter.

Source: http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-to-announce-skype-acquisition-later-today/

Very interesting if Microsoft have bought Skype but I'm not surprised as there were reports of Google and Facebook also talking to Skype about some sort of deal. Seems Microsoft didn't want Google getting it and wanted a bit of the action!

Hecktix
10-05-2011, 08:19 AM
That's interesting, they can bloody tell me why it isn't loading in my tray so I can't close the buggar :P

But no, interesting - I wonder if this will bring any intergration with WLM?

Agnostic Bear
10-05-2011, 09:26 AM
That's interesting, they can bloody tell me why it isn't loading in my tray so I can't close the buggar :P

Task manager.

Hecktix
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Task manager.

Yeah I did that BUT IT SHOULD WORK NORMALLY I TELL YOU, NORMALLY! I could get RSI by pressing the three extra keys.

xxMATTGxx
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah I did that BUT IT SHOULD WORK NORMALLY I TELL YOU, NORMALLY! I could get RSI by pressing the three extra keys.

What about right clicking the Skype icon the taskbar and selecting "Quit Skype"

Hecktix
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Doesn't close it probs cause i need to change some settings somewhere.

Recursion
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM

http://lolpics.se/pics/482.jpg

HotelUser
10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Here's hoping they don't ruin Skype.

Triz
10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
All Google needs is Facebook and Skype and it'll pretty much own the internet haha!
Shame that Microsoft are possibly buying it

xxMATTGxx
10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Here's hoping they don't ruin Skype.

Normal comment from you lool

xxMATTGxx
10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Microsoft confirms it:

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-confirms-purchase-of-skype-for-8-5-billion/

HotelUser
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Normal comment from you lool

Well actually I would of been angry if Apple bought them because it would probably turn into more paid services or if Google bought them because Google like to impose region restrictions on their voice services but hey ho you jump to completely baseless conclusions because I own a Mac if you want to :)

And in regards to your reply, I can't say I'm surprised because apparently according to you and Tom I'm banned from saying anything bad about your precious Microsoft. Even if its something I'd say about any complany. Spare me Matt :P

Recursion
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Well actually I would of been angry if Apple bought them because it would probably turn into more paid services or if Google bought them because Google like to impose region restrictions on their voice services but hey ho you jump to completely baseless conclusions because I own a Mac if you want to :)

And in regards to your reply, I can't say I'm surprised because apparently according to you and Tom I'm banned from saying anything bad about your precious Microsoft. Even if its something I'd say about any complany. Spare me Matt :P

Microsoft have ****** up in the past, so stop beating a dead horse. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beating%20a%20dead%20horse)

HotelUser
10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Ah the reinforcements have arrived!

Tom I will say it again:

I hope Microsoft doesn't ruin Skype.

Its a valid statement and an honest concern and I'm not surprised that you and Matt jumped at it quick to defend the home company.

Either accept my first post for a genuine opinion I would make about many companies and situations, not just for the sake of being anti Microsoft (which I could care less about such petty stances) or don't. I don't really care.

Recursion
10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Woah there boy, I wasn't defending or attacking anyone I was simply stating you should drop it.

Ah the reinforcements have arrived!

Tom I will say it again:

I hope Microsoft doesn't ruin Skype.

Its a valid statement and an honest concern and I'm not surprised that you and Matt jumped at it quick to defend the home company.

Either accept my first post for a genuine opinion I would make about many companies and situations, not just for the sake of being anti Microsoft (which I could care less about such petty stances) or don't. I don't really care.

Microsoft have ****** up in the past, so stop beating a dead horse. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beating%20a%20dead%20horse)

Chris
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Not sure if this is a good or bad thing really aha.

Anyway apparently it'll be coming to xbox live which will be interesting.

Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms.

Mark
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
You can join and create parties on Xbox Live so where would be the use for it on Xbox? :S

peteyt
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Interesting. Someone said I hope they don't take away free calls but I don't think even Microsoft would be that dumb, well I hope not. They would loose most people instantly and there are probably other similar VOIP software out there.

Integration with Xbox could be cool although I'm not sure how WLM would benefit.

Chris
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
You can join and create parties on Xbox Live so where would be the use for it on Xbox? :S

By using kinect as a camera it would be able to connect to anyone else who has skype.

xxMATTGxx
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Imagine all of your skype contacts and able to have a call with them (even if they don't have an Xbox) that's what could be made possible.

Another bonus, is Skype can fully come to WP7 now. I could imagine Google stopping that if they actually bought it :P

hamheyelliot
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Change all the fonts in Skype to Segoe UI, enforce Windows Live ID in some unbearable way, then bring Xbox Live members into the mix in some bizarre way. Job done!

Chippiewill
10-05-2011, 10:18 PM
The Yay Method:

Leave Skype to itself
Let Microsoft have it integrated into lots of mobile devices
Replace WLM Audio/Video chat technology with Skype's... cause it's better

The ******* balls method:

Integrate Skype into windows live / Xbox Live / Zune stuff

Oleh
10-05-2011, 10:39 PM
it would be amazing if skype got integrated into the xbox, could sit on my xbox whilst talking to my skype mates, although if i turn 90 degrees im at my pc.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!