PDA

View Full Version : Sulake releases Volter Font licence

Frisky
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Taken from Puhekupla.com who started the campaign to bring back the font on the UserVoice forum. As so many people responded to this, Sulake decided to reply to them and also release the font for anyone to publicly use. Read here:
http://puhekupla.com/en/Blogs/66

Habbo Hotel is changing, the pixels we all love and know, are now dissapearing. Sulake has now released the Volter font licence, available for you to download to your computer, and modify, study & redistributed freely.

This comes after the recent font petition (http://puhekupla.com/en/Articles/30) we had here at Puhekupla, to bring back the old font Volter on Habbo. Puhekupla's Twitter account received a reply from Osma Ahvenlampi, the Chief Technician Officer of Sulake saying: "@Puhekupla_com I think we're gonna have to look at Volter license so that you can use it on your site...".

Well, now it's happened. Earlier today Sulake released an article on their website (link below) stating that they're releasing the Volter font, for any website to use. As long as they do not sell it on wards.

Puhekupla was even mentioned in the Sulake article, explaining what the font is, and why we want it. Along with the reason why they made the switch.
"During late 2010 it became clear that, as displays become ever-higher in resolution, a single-size pixel typeface would no longer be able to serve Habbo Hotel in all situations. Despite the love we (and some of our users, image from fansite Puhekupla) have for Volter, and the unique history it has with Habbo Hotel, we needed a new scalable font that would be legible on different display devices and resolutions. We also wanted to have the possibility to use text in different sizes for proper typographic contrast and hierarchy. After looking at different options we picked Ubuntu Font Family - a high quality open source outline font optimized for screen typography. It's highly legible on small sizes but scales up easily to headline sizes as well. And it’s freely available from Google Web Fonts. "

The image I (Vado) made for the article, was even shown in the Sulake news, so they obviously listened, but will not do anything about it. What does this mean, though? Habbo will not be bringing back the Volter font to Habbo? Even though Habbo's desperately want this, with OVER 600 votes on the UserVoice forum?

Click here to read Sulake article:
http://www.sulake.com/blog/entries/2011-05-09_Volter.html

Cosmic
10-05-2011, 11:04 AM
At least they can't be accused of not paying attention to what people want. It's just a shame that they have no intention of bringing it back - it's understandable why they won't though.

Pigperson
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I loved the pixel font :(

Will

Mathew
10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
To be fair, I'm glad they've taken the time to actually explain why they've changed the font. Interesting :)!

,Love
10-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Habbo has changed. I hate everything that's changed.
Why change? WHEN people came to Habbo because of it's
orginality. Now it's the same as every other site. Whatever..

Ajthedragon
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
To be fair, I'm glad they've taken the time to actually explain why they've changed the font. Interesting :)!

Sadly that makes perfect sense... I guess all good things have to change.... I just think the font they replaced it with is too curvy. It should be more sharp with right-angles and stuff.

JerseySafety
10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I like that. Look's very cool :)

e5
10-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Once I download volter font how do I type with it in like word? :S

Please could someone explain via PM to me as I will forget to check back!

Chris
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Well I must admit, it's good of them to address the feedback and fully explain everything. :D

Once I download volter font how do I type with it in like word? :S

Please could someone explain via PM to me as I will forget to check back!

I'll PM you now. :)

Triz
10-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Well I must admit, it's good of them to address the feedback and fully explain everything. :D

I'll PM you now. :)

I agree, they didn't have to, and it's also unlike them to give us a full explanation of why they removed it, also nice for Puhekupla who just got free advertisement from Sulake haha!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!